Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

in the real history Tetris pieces were made out of balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Dropping this here, hope you enjoy it.

Ci?ies: Skylines - G?MM8-8JEDI-YRXRM

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Monkey paw curls, Arkane Studios is releasing a MOBA/Battleroyale/Idle game

New Plague Inc. campaign where you have to try and contain the rat plague in Dunwall.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Dark Messiah remake that adds a dropkick and roundhouse kick

yes yes yes yes yes

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm almost finished with my Dungeons of Dredmor run, still in the middle of floor 12 though. Even with No Time to Grind and skipping a lot of content it has been pretty tedious.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Dark Messiah remake that adds a dropkick and roundhouse kick

can't believe they're still updating Dying Light

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm almost finished with my Dungeons of Dredmor run, still in the middle of floor 12 though. Even with No Time to Grind and skipping a lot of content it has been pretty tedious.

And then you get killed by the boss in a few turns unless you've optimized your character build to work against him.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

!!

If that offer is still valid you could pass it to me on Steam at https://steamcommunity.com/id/artelier/ No worries if it isn't anymore tho!

Offer's still there, though I already clicked on the "reveal key" option intending to share it in the thread, so the Gifting option is gone. I sent a friend request on Steam to do it through there.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I almost never play action combat games but I enjoyed AC: Origins and one moment made me giggle myself stupid. I was sneaking up on a group of baddies who were just hanging around near a lion cage. I shot the lock off the cage door and the lion sprang out and attacked them. They fought it fiercely but it killed almost all of them. The lone survivor killed the lion with his spear, and then raised both his arms in triumph, and in that moment I shot him through the neck with an arrow.

I'm sure most gamers do things like that all the time but I never had. :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spiderweb Software opinion time

Avernum: fun but frustrating. I wish it were slightly more linear because I go to any area, get my face kicked in, go "okay later" and then repeat until I find the one low-level zone where I can fight and level up a bit. And it's next to impossible to gauge what level things are, so everything is either too hard or just right. Also the inability to click-drag the map is a pain. At least the setting is cool and it's fun to find things.

Queen's Wish: now THIS is what I'm talking about. Now that I'm into the groove of the plot it's really fun to find these dungeons (that aren't too big) and kill things and learn more about this awful island. The skills are fun to play with, it's fun to explore, and it's just a lot of fun.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
South Park the Fractured But Whole

Haven't seen a game's attempt at humor age so poorly so fast. The combat was a nice attempt at a srpg style with what looked like amazing vairety and customization, but all the jokes and references to the later South Park stuff like PC principal just were not funny in the slightest. I laughed maybe 3 times during the entire game and for a lot of the game it seemed like they just padded out what they had with meaningless grind.

I probably missed a ton of stuff since the overall game tone ended up making me not at all interested in most side quests or collectathons, but if it was like what I did see during the main quest then I really doubt it was worth a look. After the police sidequests I figured if that was their bar for humor then I was better off just powering through the game.

It's a shame, the first game I remember as actually enjoying, a lot of the early non-political South Park stuff has held up better because its just juvenile gross humor with an edge.

Maybe the DLC is better, I can't really be bothered to check by the end the game just reminded me of everything negative about South Park in the last 10 years.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mind you both are great for being lightweight and I can just pop 'em open and explore without having to Commit to gaming time like I do with bigger games.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a game similar to Dungeon of the Endless? For some reason that game is just really fun to me, with the mix of Roguelite + TD + RPG elements, and I want to know if something else exists that is comparable or if I should just wait until Dungeon 2 which may or may not ever come out.

Honestly, I've put a bazillion hours into DotE and I've yet to find anything that feels quite like it. It doesn't help that, like you said, the game is a weird mix of roguelite, tower defense, team "hero" management (with light RPG elements?) loot...thing. I think we're currently poo poo out of luck.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

PowerBeard posted:

Dropping this here, hope you enjoy it.

Ci?ies: Skylines - G?MM8-8JEDI-YRXRM

Somebody took it and didn't say so. :colbert:

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Somebody took it and didn't say so. :colbert:

That's too bad, have a second chance...

Cities Skylines: GYDBA-?7JV?-8YX7Z
? number of letters in the first word of the game minus 1

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

yegods posted:

That's too bad, have a second chance...

Cities Skylines: GYDBA-?7JV?-8YX7Z
? number of letters in the first word of the game minus 1

Lol already taken too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cowcaster posted:

well just so you know finding out an ai under stonehenge from a super advanced alien race is responsible for nikola tesla's death ray destroying the country of monaco in the REAL history is de rigueur for every iteration of the series full stop. it's going to be like a person who really hates blocks playing the newest tetris release if you decide to keep on rolling with it
the trick is to just remember that the animus is a dumb video game and let the nonsense just wash over you.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So am I just late to the party, or did Helltaker suddenly explode in popularity overnight? I started seeing a bunch of art with #Helltaker, on Twitter, and I thought it was some new anime. Then Steam gives me a popup that says '<Steam Friend> is now playing Helltaker'.

I played through it (it's free). It's a Sokoban style game where you have to solve in a limited number of turns. It's not very long, but the last couple of puzzles are pretty tough, and there's a final boss where the game changes to an arcade-style sequence where you have to dodge and destroy chains while not taking too many hits.

Overall, it's pretty cute, and it's not a huge download (around 300MB)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It has a demon waifu, of course it’s popular

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ymgve posted:

It has a demon waifu, of course it’s popular

Technically, it has several waifus, so it's extra popular.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

So am I just late to the party, or did Helltaker suddenly explode in popularity overnight? I started seeing a bunch of art with #Helltaker, on Twitter, and I thought it was some new anime. Then Steam gives me a popup that says '<Steam Friend> is now playing Helltaker'.

I played through it (it's free). It's a Sokoban style game where you have to solve in a limited number of turns. It's not very long, but the last couple of puzzles are pretty tough, and there's a final boss where the game changes to an arcade-style sequence where you have to dodge and destroy chains while not taking too many hits.

Overall, it's pretty cute, and it's not a huge download (around 300MB)

The artist was already a pretty popular Twitter artist, it's free, and I've seen non-English-speaking artists pick up on it. And yes, it has demon wifes. Getting a following seemed fairly inevitable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have conquered the final boss in Elex with my BLOOD REAPER III

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Angry Lobster posted:

Well poo poo, I don't think I can be bothered to compete against that because that's a lot of time to go that deep.
I just played another round and couldn't remember what happened when you put a lutefisk cube inside another lutefisk cube. Turns out you explode.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

scaling for the extra 5 floors isn't implemented very well and they mostly become a slog. I recommend just leaving them off once you've seen them once or twice. things start to take a tedious amount of time to kill, there aren't enough new items to fill another 50% of game so you end up seeing a whole bunch of repeats, your build is basically already complete at that point so there's not much room to expand, and a lot of the diggle gods aren't worth it so they don't spice it up much. The diggle gods floors would have been better implemented as random replacements for other floors you get over the course of a run that's otherwise the same length.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Is this game worth 3 dollars? It's apparently being delisted as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/554510/The_Golf_Club_2/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gosh they really hosed that franchise up. Apparently they've been releasing new golf games and I didn't even realize.

Still, it isn't.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

My favorite AC origins moment was a family mourning the death of their child during cutscene, when a ship with a dude pissing overboard docked behind them.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

scaling for the extra 5 floors isn't implemented very well and they mostly become a slog. I recommend just leaving them off once you've seen them once or twice. things start to take a tedious amount of time to kill, there aren't enough new items to fill another 50% of game so you end up seeing a whole bunch of repeats, your build is basically already complete at that point so there's not much room to expand, and a lot of the diggle gods aren't worth it so they don't spice it up much. The diggle gods floors would have been better implemented as random replacements for other floors you get over the course of a run that's otherwise the same length.

Yup, even with NTTG they are a huge slog, even though at that depth you get showered with amazing items, so at least you have the chance to improve your gear at least.

Gromit posted:

Well poo poo, I don't think I can be bothered to compete against that because that's a lot of time to go that deep.
I just played another round and couldn't remember what happened when you put a lutefisk cube inside another lutefisk cube. Turns out you explode.

Yup, there's even an achievement for it.

Kennel posted:

And then you get killed by the boss in a few turns unless you've optimized your character build to work against him.

I'm reasonably prepared to take him, although my random drops have been terrible this run.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, I've been playing a lot of a Chinese Rimworld clone about Cultivation. Not crops, think more like the scale and culture of a Shaolin monastery, but they're all Super Saiyans trying to become higher level Super Saiyans. It's called Amazing Cultivation Simulator, and it has an English translation mod on the Workshop, and has an official translation currently in testing.

It's got a super intricate system of training your guys. They start out as mortals, members of the Outer Sect, who do conventional training and run all the chores for their seniors. Then you get your Inner Sect members, who train under one of five starting manuals, with more discoverable throughout the game. The Inner Sect won't do any mundane tasks, but they also don't need to eat since they can absorb the qi energy in their surroundings, so long as the feng shui is in order and their meridians haven't been damaged in spiritual combat or due to overdosing of medicinal pills, which accidentally became too powerful because you stored them next to your ancestral spirit tree, oh and heaven throws lightning bolts at you on occasion for daring to become even stronger.

I'm currently at the phase where I've graduated from kidnapping mortals/sweet talking strangers who are lost in the woods or were running away from wolves to expanding the influence of my cult sect through temples and shrines throughout the mortal realm, who send disciples for testing. All of my inner sect members now fly by riding on their swords, which they can propel with their qi. I've finally been able to forge some good ones to replace the refined rabbit turds that previously served as their spiritual treasure.

Nyaa has an LP thread for the game running, which introduced me to both it and the cultivation genre. Surprisingly fun, if formulaic, reads. Highly recommend folks at least wishlist it while waiting for the official English translation if they liked Rimworld. While the mod is good enough, it doesn't translate most of the tutorial prompts.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Is there any way to turn off the creepy-rear end art in The Void Rains Upon Her Heart? I want to play it, but it's the first game I've ever felt the need to pre-warn my wife about so that she doesn't think I'm a pedophile.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

What's the gamepad to get for action games and American Truck Sim? I picked up a DS4 but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to connect reliably, either through bluetooth or through cable + ds4windows. I'm not sure if that's a known problem.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
A Xbox One controller it's the default controller almost every game supports, you can use it wired with USB cable if you want. Get some rechargeable batteries to go with it ideally. Assuming you're on Windows 10, it doesn't require any drivers or anything, just plug it in or use bluetooth.

https://smile.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Black-one/dp/B01GW3H3U8

Though looking at that link rofl, it looks like most of the colors are over retail price right now. The first one I saw at the correct price was the red one. And I only paid $40 for mine 2 years ago.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 28, 2020

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What's the gamepad to get for action games and American Truck Sim? I picked up a DS4 but I'm having a hell of a time getting it to connect reliably, either through bluetooth or through cable + ds4windows. I'm not sure if that's a known problem.

Xbox. Either go for an Xbox One pad or an older 360 pad. Do give the PS4 remote one more try using Steam Big Picture mode, whenever DS4 Windows doesn't work that tends to.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Xbox. Either go for an Xbox One pad or an older 360 pad. Do give the PS4 remote one more try using Steam Big Picture mode, whenever DS4 Windows doesn't work that tends to.

As usual, I struggled with it for hours but then it immediately started working after I asked for help. But an old Xbox 360 controller is still better for Steam?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

You shouldn't need DS4Windows when using Steam any more. In fact, it's likely to cause issues. Try just using it cabled with Steam.

E: Sorry, missed last post. DS4 is good for Truck Sim though in that you can program the extra buttons it has over the X Box pads.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

360 or Xbone controllers should work with any game with controller support from like the last decade without having to do anything. PS4 controllers are going to need a program to make games think it's an Xbox controller for most games (Steam actually has this built in, but it may require some setup), some games have PS4 controller support (even to the point of showing PS button icons), but not many.

If you get a 360 controller, know that you either have to buy a wired one or a wireless one and you can't just plug a wireless one in to make it wired (no, a Play & Charge kit doesn't transmit controller inputs over the wire, it only charges). Also you need a 360 wireless dongle if you go wireless.
The Xbone controller on the other hand is much simpler. If you plug it in it will work wired and if you get the current revision then it works over Bluetooth, the launch version requires a dongle like the 360 controllers.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Veotax posted:

360 or Xbone controllers should work with any game with controller support from like the last decade without having to do anything. PS4 controllers are going to need a program to make games think it's an Xbox controller for most games (Steam actually has this built in, but it may require some setup), some games have PS4 controller support (even to the point of showing PS button icons), but not many.

If you get a 360 controller, know that you either have to buy a wired one or a wireless one and you can't just plug a wireless one in to make it wired (no, a Play & Charge kit doesn't transmit controller inputs over the wire, it only charges). Also you need a 360 wireless dongle if you go wireless.
The Xbone controller on the other hand is much simpler. If you plug it in it will work wired and if you get the current revision then it works over Bluetooth, the launch version requires a dongle like the 360 controllers.

Interesting. So far I have found that most games with some controller support (presumably for Xbox controllers) work pretty well for the Dualshock, but the sensitivity is sometimes off and things like the gyroscope are mapped wrong. Glad Steam makes it work at all, though.

At one point I had an Xbox 360 controller, before it developed a case of exploded batteries. I think the main thing the DS4 has over an Xbox controller is the touchpad that you can use as a mouse, and while that would be terrific for a few games where you really need a cursor sometimes, it's not that useful in general.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there any way to turn off the creepy-rear end art in The Void Rains Upon Her Heart? I want to play it, but it's the first game I've ever felt the need to pre-warn my wife about so that she doesn't think I'm a pedophile.

There is a censorship option for the naughty bits but that's it, I think.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As usual, I struggled with it for hours but then it immediately started working after I asked for help. But an old Xbox 360 controller is still better for Steam?

Yeah, the standard XInput drivers were made for the 360 controller, and Microsoft have always had an eye on the PC market for obvious reasons. They haven't always been the best at it, RIP GFWL nobody liked you, but they've always had an eye on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Interesting. So far I have found that most games with some controller support (presumably for Xbox controllers) work pretty well for the Dualshock, but the sensitivity is sometimes off and things like the gyroscope are mapped wrong. Glad Steam makes it work at all, though.

At one point I had an Xbox 360 controller, before it developed a case of exploded batteries. I think the main thing the DS4 has over an Xbox controller is the touchpad that you can use as a mouse, and while that would be terrific for a few games where you really need a cursor sometimes, it's not that useful in general.

Steam makes the DS4 look like a generic controller, just one with more inputs (touchpad can be a mouse plus 4 buttons, gyro is awesome for aiming). There's a lot you can do with the Steam controller software, worth digging into. I used DS4Windows very rarely now - mainly for Cemu to play BotW with gyro aiming.

Be sure to plug the BT adapter, if you're using one, into a USB 2 port with line of sight to the controller if possible. USB 3 ports cause wireless interference that may or may not be very bad depending. I used a cheap old USB 2 hub to put the controller into and out the hub under the table where it can't be seen.