Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

I take it the latest Humble Monthly isn't selling very well since I just got an e-mail notifying that I can get the bundle for $6. It just makes me regret my purchase of Fae Tactics even more, though. Wish I had refunded it when I had the chance!

I bit the bullet and cancelled my classic account a couple months ago and it seems to have been a wise decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fallom posted:

I bit the bullet and cancelled my classic account a couple months ago and it seems to have been a wise decision.

It’s definitely been having more misses than hits lately.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So Control was great. Remedy to the core, albeit with fewer Twin Peaks references than usual, but I'll forgive it that one weakness. The DLC was also solid. The Foundation was a nice break from the game's regular aesthetic but the caves themselves grew rather samey. Cool Astral sections tho and I liked the emphasis on verticality. Meanwhile, AWE was more of the same shifting brutalism of the base-game, but it showcased the engine's lighting more, and it actually added a new weapon and some much-needed unique mods. Strangely enough, it felt like each expansion paved the way for completely different sequels: the first where you rebel against The Board, the second where you're going after Paracriminals and figuring out what's going on with Alan Wake.

Anyways, Langston for President.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

So Control was great. Remedy to the core, albeit with fewer Twin Peaks references than usual, but I'll forgive it that one weakness. The DLC was also solid. The Foundation was a nice break from the game's regular aesthetic but the caves themselves grew rather samey. Cool Astral sections tho and I liked the emphasis on verticality. Meanwhile, AWE was more of the same shifting brutalism of the base-game, but it showcased the engine's lighting more, and it actually added a new weapon and some much-needed unique mods. Strangely enough, it felt like each expansion paved the way for completely different sequels: the first where you rebel against The Board, the second where you're going after Paracriminals and figuring out what's going on with Alan Wake.

Anyways, Langston for President.

Agreed completely on the DLCs. I thought they were a little weaker than the main game but both left me wanting two different sequels that haven't actually been announced yet. I love Alan Wake so I'm always yearning for more of that series in general.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr E posted:

Agreed completely on the DLCs. I thought they were a little weaker than the main game but both left me wanting two different sequels that haven't actually been announced yet. I love Alan Wake so I'm always yearning for more of that series in general.

They haven't specifically announced Alan Wake 2 but they have said their next game will be set in the Control/Wake shared universe.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the AWE IN PROGRESS notification at the end of AWE strongly implies their next game is going to be Alan Wake 2. It may also be Control 2. I'm excited. Also oh shot, new Amnesia tomorrow, I am so ready to get spooked. Frictional has never done me wrong.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'll take anything from Remedy that isn't Quantum Break, I love all their other games so much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Remedy is one of those studios (Spiders, From, Trese Brothers, probably some others I'm forgetting in a brief thought) that I'm gonna play whatever they put out because even Quantum Break, flawed as it desperately was, was a bunch of cool ideas.

Granted I will not be replaying Quantum Break, the others I have and will.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Orv posted:

Remedy is one of those studios (Spiders, From, Trese Brothers, probably some others I'm forgetting in a brief thought) that I'm gonna play whatever they put out

I'm kinda surprised to see spiders in a list like this. What's their best game?

Studios that are pretty much insta-buy for me: Mimimi, Klei, Larian, Paradox (PDS, the studio, not the publisher), Subset games, and Amplitude.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

I'm kinda surprised to see spiders in a list like this. What's their best game?

Studios that are pretty much insta-buy for me: Mimimi, Klei, Larian, Paradox (PDS, the studio, not the publisher), Subset games, and Amplitude.

Typically their latest one. (Greedfall.) :v: Spiders is a studio that is clearly making games they're putting their whole heart into as a studio and they're nothing incredible and I don't even finish most of them but they're always unique and fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

remedy is strange to me because I’ve never had an iota of interest in any of their games before control, while control is now one of my all time favorites and I very much hope thrse DLCs I’m about to do are going to set up a control 2

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

housemarque was the studio i would buy anything from when they were making stylish arcade games.

returnal might be cool i guess

this reminds me i still need to buy nex machina on pc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought Housemarque died?

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Last year (year before?) I think they put their BR game on hold and anything else they were working on and then this was announced this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4BIQmyOxS8

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sorry to bother you all with a bit of an off-topic post, but since most Games users just check their bookmarks and nowhere else I'm advertising our new subforum feedback thread in some of our more active threads. If you have anything to say about how Games is being managed, hope on in! If you don't, just ignore this post and I apologize for interrupting your regularly scheduled posting.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I seem to remember a lot of yelling about Fallout 4. If I enjoyed both F3 and New Vegas, will this be more of the same?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gromit posted:

I seem to remember a lot of yelling about Fallout 4. If I enjoyed both F3 and New Vegas, will this be more of the same?

The good news is the shooting is better and it doesn't look too bad visually. Everything else, though, aaaahh...well.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gromit posted:

Yes, with the tradeoff of better gunplay feel but dumbed down RPG mechanics. Less buggy/crash-prone too just by nature of it being on the Skyrim engine.

It's still not "good" but you can squeeze a lot of hours out of it before you get bored and some of the initial exploration is fun before it eventually turns into a chore.

I paid $12ish for the complete edition and I'm not annoyed at the decision for what it's worth.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FO4's story is sincere rear end. Also its dialogue system is completely gimped since the protagonist needs to be voiced, and its a token gesture as most of the dialogue trees are "Yes" or "No (yes)". But the gunplay is significantly better, also I like the companion system since they chip in during dialogue and will chip in every now and then. Also it has a better upgrade system for weapons/armor which makes it worthwhile to collect all that crap laying around.

Basically, better shooty gameplay, worse RPG gameplay.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

The good news is the shooting is better and it doesn't look too bad visually. Everything else, though, aaaahh...well.

I remember when I way playing seeing a man and a little girl in the wasteland, clearly a riff on Joel and Ellie from TLOU, but whatever. So I go up to them for a conversation and...nothing. Can't do anything with them. Except maybe shoot them but I am not a dick. From everything else I read since that seems to be the experience in a microcosm.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Oh, there was one other thing FO4 did better than the other 3D Bethsoft games (except NV) - companions were a lot better.

Also the credit card scam guy was kinda funny I guess.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gromit posted:

Better than 3, worse than New Vegas. If you liked 3, I think you'll like 4. Don't feel compelled to get sucked into the settlement building if you aren't enjoying it, it's optional.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
FO4 is kinda cool for just exploration, the city has a good amount of verticality

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Better than 3, worse than New Vegas. If you liked 3, I think you'll like 4. Don't feel compelled to get sucked into the settlement building if you aren't enjoying it, it's optional.

You probably won't enjoy it unless you take the perks that benefit settlement building. You either need to go all in on settlements or just do the bare minimum.

The DLC apparently adds a lot, but I've never played past the base game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GrandpaPants posted:

I take it the latest Humble Monthly isn't selling very well since I just got an e-mail notifying that I can get the bundle for $6. It just makes me regret my purchase of Fae Tactics even more, though. Wish I had refunded it when I had the chance!

IGN, owners of the Humble Bundle: "why isn't anyone subscribing to our bundle?"

Fallom posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s definitely been having more misses than hits lately.
A very out of touch man at IGN: "who wouldn't love to subscribe for The Suicide of Rachel Foster ???"

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 20, 2020

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RBA Starblade posted:

Orv posted:

Last year (year before?) I think they put their BR game on hold and anything else they were working on and then this was announced this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4BIQmyOxS8

Yeah a few years ago they were attributed with saying that "arcade is dead" (a somewhat sensationalist summary of a more complex statement that they actually made) and jumped into...making a Battle Royale game.

I actually had no idea that they had once again pivoted to something like Returnal, which at least has the opportunity to sell copies and not die in the womb after it fails to reach a critical mass of players like most BR and multiplayer games.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

theres a fo4 mod that makes settlement building the main focus of the game and its pretty darn good. i spent over 100 hours playing fallout sim city and had a ton of fun.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Fallom posted:

I dunno why they even bothered doing higher value subscriptions for more games. In order for that that to work, they have more than 2 or 3 games you want to play (if that) and just not pad it out with garbage.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

pentyne posted:

You probably won't enjoy it unless you take the perks that benefit settlement building. You either need to go all in on settlements or just do the bare minimum.

The DLC apparently adds a lot, but I've never played past the base game.

Far Harbor and Automaton are the really worthwhile ones.

FH is some of the best stuff Bethesda has done. Certainly since Morrowwind.

Automaton adds some fun stuff but only if making custom robot companions appeals.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 20, 2020

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

okey well disregard that then! It's been a while, maybe I should hop back in again. How many "tiers" of content(like, first 3 bosses are tier 1, hardmode is tier 2, etc) have they added past the moon lord? that's the last boss I killed.

Moon Lord is still the final boss but there's been a bunch more mobs and events added since then. There's also Expert Mode which you enable at world creation (you can transfer chars over from normal) where everything has roughly 2x HP but there are better drops. I forget what got added when but final version is real good and has some nice quality of life features (like a much less terrible crafting interface).

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Fallout 4 sets up a bunch of neat ideas and never does anything with them. There's a bar that's set up as a fighting arena, and when you arrive, a fight is going on/has just concluded. However, as soon as anyone notices you're there, it turns into a shooting gallery. There's a track with robots racing and raiders supposedly placing bets (and one of them is calling the race over a loudspeaker). However, as soon as anyone notices you're there, it turns into a shooting gallery. Along a road, there's a raider sitting quietly in front of a grave, mourning a dead friend. However... you get the idea. As someone else mentioned, your options in dialogue generally consist of "Yes, I will do that thing," "Yes, but I have a question about something inane," "Yes, but I have a snarky comment," or "No, but I'll be back later to say yes." There is a small bit of reactivity with the various raider bosses and their computer terminals - when you find the raiders and kill them (the only option you have), there will be messages on other terminals talking about what you did to <other named raider and their crew>. It's such a minor thing that I don't think very many people even noticed it. The whole game is like that - just full of stuff that seems like it could go somewhere interesting, and then never follows through.

Far Harbor, one of the expansions, is probably the high point of the game, imo. It's kinda creepy and atmospheric, and the story is significantly less stupid than the main game. You have to be a certain level, and also have to rescue Nick Valentine first (who you should definitely bring along with you), but it's worth doing that to get to Far Harbor. It's the Point Lookout of Fallout 4, which isn't exactly high praise, but I can't compare it to Dead Money because I'm pretty sure a bunch of people wouldn't take that as a compliment (it's even got the death fog, but not nearly as severe as it was in DM).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

beats for junkies posted:

Fallout 4 sets up a bunch of neat ideas and never does anything with them. There's a bar that's set up as a fighting arena, and when you arrive, a fight is going on/has just concluded.
Tends to be a perennial problem with Bethesda games. Their engines are poo poo so they can't really set up a scene like that in-engine while making it look good, so it's easier to skip over it and just tell you it happened than to show it and make everyone wish they hadn't.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the F4 comments, people.

One thing I liked about F3 was the password hacking on the terminals, and exploring these weird points of interest. Do they still have that sort of thing?

The Joe Man posted:

Yes, with the tradeoff of better gunplay feel but dumbed down RPG mechanics. Less buggy/crash-prone too just by nature of it being on the Skyrim engine.

It's still not "good" but you can squeeze a lot of hours out of it before you get bored and some of the initial exploration is fun before it eventually turns into a chore.

I paid $12ish for the complete edition and I'm not annoyed at the decision for what it's worth.

I like shooting, so that's ok by me.
I forgot all about there being DLC. I see I can get the GOTY package all up for USD$11.29. Might be time to make that huge investment.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Man I always bounce off CRPGs after a couple dozen hours but Baldur's Gate 3 hype got me to pick up Original Sin 2 again after stalling out on it a year ago and now I'm well into Act II and it's taken over my brain completely. Does it stay this strong throughout? I've got a few issues here and there but the sense of exploration and the density of the world is so cool, and the cool combat system and lack of "trash encounters" makes almost every fight feel like a reward rather than something I have to endure so I can keep playing the game. It's my understanding there's a lot of game left but they'd have to really blow it in the second half to lose my attention at this point

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it pretty much stays that way, be sure to stay on top of ways you can break the game! the game will try to break it back at you.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Gromit posted:

Thanks for all the F4 comments, people.

One thing I liked about F3 was the password hacking on the terminals, and exploring these weird points of interest. Do they still have that sort of thing?

I like shooting, so that's ok by me.
I forgot all about there being DLC. I see I can get the GOTY package all up for USD$11.29. Might be time to make that huge investment.

Getting all the dlc in a pack is probably a good idea for mod support if nothing else. The dlc may not all be great but they introduced mechanics the modders have run with.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

FO4's story is sincere rear end. Also its dialogue system is completely gimped since the protagonist needs to be voiced, and its a token gesture as most of the dialogue trees are "Yes" or "No (yes)". But the gunplay is significantly better, also I like the companion system since they chip in during dialogue and will chip in every now and then. Also it has a better upgrade system for weapons/armor which makes it worthwhile to collect all that crap laying around.

Basically, better shooty gameplay, worse RPG gameplay.
I think it's usually "Yes", "No", "Tell Me More" and "Yes (but sarcastically)". Although plot-important stuff often removes No.

Also the story makes some aggressively stupid and nonsensical moves in order to hide the Big Twist longer.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Without mods I suggest just getting into the settlement enough to have a steady supply of the materials to make Vegetable Starch since you need a lot of Adhesive for the crafting.

No, more than that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

idk if i'd endorse fallout 3 leading to liking fallout 4. 3 at least feels like an rpg with stories and things happening. fallout 4 is a husk of a game carved out to make room for endless procedural 'fun'.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kly posted:

theres a fo4 mod that makes settlement building the main focus of the game and its pretty darn good. i spent over 100 hours playing fallout sim city and had a ton of fun.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872

You beautiful bastard. This looks extremely my poo poo, thanks for the link!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gromit posted:

I am the biggest defender of fallout 3 on these forums and 4 bored me to tears