Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Impermanent posted:

it pretty much stays that way, be sure to stay on top of ways you can break the game! the game will try to break it back at you.

Yeah I'm working on it; one thing I've sussed out is that a point in Scoundrel and a spell slot for Adrenaline is worth it for probably literally any character lol. And I can see what you mean; I felt extremely clever when I figured out how to start abusing teleport spells, and within a few hours enemies started doing the same thing to me and suddenly my tank is on the far side of the battlefield and my archer is in the middle of a pit of fire surrounded by enemies in melee range. Such a sick game. I don't think I've ever played anything that gives you so many opportunities to feel like a genius and just as many opportunities to feel extremely stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In all fairness, Fallout 4 is stupidly huge and expecting every single random quest NPC out of the hundreds that are in the game to have meaningfully branching conversations is incredibly unrealistic. It's like people expect every game to be Mass Effect just because it has a voiced player character too. Recording it all in triplicate was already way more effort than it was worth.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

People expected that from Fallout because that’s what Fallout had in every game until Fallout 4.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Fallout 4 is an aggressively C+ game. Never aimed high, never made a statement, never drew an interesting set piece. It's "good enough" the videogame, filled to the brim with chased trends and abandoned ideas. I slogged through it shortly after it came out and it was fine, aided heavily by mods pumped out by goons during the launch zeitgeist. A friend swore up and down that the DLC was worth a replay and gifted me the gold edition like two years after the launch. Just getting to the DLC was so painfully boring that I gave up. Maybe the Nuka Cola disneyland is fun, who knows. It doesn't help that the modding scene was gimped by the Bethesda official store junk.

Nick Valentine was a cool companion, though, and the weapon mod system is interesting enough.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

In all fairness, Fallout 4 is stupidly huge and expecting every single random quest NPC out of the hundreds that are in the game to have meaningfully branching conversations is incredibly unrealistic. It's like people expect every game to be Mass Effect just because it has a voiced player character too. Recording it all in triplicate was already way more effort than it was worth.

Not every but any NPC would be nice.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I recently installed a couple of mod lists for Fallout 4, back and forth between Magnum Opus, Vanilla Sprinkles and Boston Cream Pie using the Wabbajack installer, and Biraitbec's with a few of my own additions.

Play unmodded for now, but if you want to mod the crap out of the game, check out the Wabbajack installers. Simple as hell to use, does all the modding for you, you need a Nexus account though. It can be a bit of a pain adding extra mods on top of the Wabbajack lists due to merges. My favourite was Magnum Opus.

The mods made the game more fun, but it's still not an amazing game and found myself getting bored fairly quickly around 20 hours into each playthrough.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fallout 4 is good in the way that Skyrim is, a sandbox where you sneakily kill some bandits and get the good brain chemicals when you loot 21 moneys which you can do for hundreds of hours. The rest is bad.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I think you've scared me off it. I'll wait for the Halloween sales in case something amazing happens. Thanks for all the info.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think the move to a voiced protagonist in Fallout 4 was a good move, it's just that the protagonist's main plot and dialogue choices were bad. Witcher 3 and Mass Effect have shown us that you can do a voiced protagonist just fine, and it'd be good to have a Fallout protagonist with a bit more nuance than "Someone from a vault, I guess".

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gort posted:

and it'd be good to have a Fallout protagonist with a bit more nuance than "Someone from a vault, I guess".

Play Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas or Brotherhood of Steel.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZearothK posted:

Play Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas or Brotherhood of Steel.

please tell me you mean tactics and not the console arpg

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kirbysuperstar posted:

please tell me you mean tactics and not the console arpg

I'll tell you anything that makes you happy.

(But yeah, I mean Tactics, I didn't even know there was a ARPG before FO3)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gaze upon the abyss

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saoshyant posted:

Gaze upon the abyss

I like how they take credit for DA1/2 when they just used the engine, Snowblind Studios was presumably off doing the vastly better Norrath games.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I picked up Return of the Obra Dinn the other day and just finished it. It was good and I can see why some people would even say it's excellent.

I like this type of game but I think the graphics and some of the mechanics of the UI got in the way of it. Visually the style is ok but I think the low fidelity got in the way. I found it kind of hard to tell people apart. I did not notice some events because of the lack of fidelity which was irritating when I did find them (specifically some bones just behind some stairs ) while other times it was a nice surprise to find people. I found myself stuck wandering past something a few too many times.

The mechanics of how the watch works and why the door appears and why you sometimes have to follow a clue were not very clear for the first little while. I would see someone and attempt to edit their entry but i could only edit the name and not the full details until the scene played out, but it wasn't clear when the scene was going to finish. This was more confusing than it had to be.

The story it presents and how you go about exploring it is great fun. I especially like the sounds and music. I just would have liked it a lot more if it was in colour and if the book would just let me do what I wanted. If you like The invisible hours or tacoma then i think you'll like this.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Saoshyant posted:

Gaze upon the abyss

Not gonna lie, I miss the 90's rave aesthetics.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I never played Amnesia: The Dark Descent while having it in my library for eons. Is it worth playing almost a decade later?

FWIW I loved SOMA and with the new Amnesia coming out I want to get spooked.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

I never played Amnesia: The Dark Descent while having it in my library for eons. Is it worth playing almost a decade later?

FWIW I loved SOMA and with the new Amnesia coming out I want to get spooked.

it still holds up. a lot of the run-and-hide horror games after the first amnesia were poor imitators of the original

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Fallout 4 was the first main franchise fallout game I didn't complete ever. I think the whole franchise pretty much ran out of steam a long time ago. The series has never been known for having a great game "system" in place. The first two had simplistic combat and skill systems but it was fine because the world was interesting, and somewhat unique compared to other RPGs.. None of the 3D incarnations has "good" combat (although 4 is the closest to being decent) 3 had novelty when it came out, and New Vegas had an interesting world to explore (that coincidentally strayed the furthest from the typical Fallout set up) but 4 and '76 straight up take the setting for granted, and at this point the 1950's Americana shtick couldn't be less boring.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It's kinda weird talking about how Fallout franchise ran out of the steam by Fallout 4, when the preceding title was arguably the best Fallout game, period. :v:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's kinda weird talking about how Fallout franchise ran out of the steam by Fallout 4, when the preceding title was arguably the best Fallout game, period. :v:

New Vegas is a decade old.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Underwhelmed posted:

Fallout 4 was the first main franchise fallout game I didn't complete ever. I think the whole franchise pretty much ran out of steam a long time ago. The series has never been known for having a great game "system" in place. The first two had simplistic combat and skill systems but it was fine because the world was interesting, and somewhat unique compared to other RPGs.. None of the 3D incarnations has "good" combat (although 4 is the closest to being decent) 3 had novelty when it came out, and New Vegas had an interesting world to explore (that coincidentally strayed the furthest from the typical Fallout set up) but 4 and '76 straight up take the setting for granted, and at this point the 1950's Americana shtick couldn't be less boring.

Yeah, I think franchise fatigue is underrated as a reason people were dissatisfied with Fallout 4. It wasn't a great game, but as the third game in seven years with the same basic aesthetic and gameplay, I think it felt a lot worse than something more novel would have. The terminal entries stand out as much as anything as something that just felt like more of the same and completely pointless after a while.

Lt. Lizard posted:

I think both the quality of the game itself and the interesting setting helped NV escape the same feeling of sameness. I think the existence of NV hurt 4 though, both in terms of franchise fatigue and in setting a higher bar that 4 didn't reach.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Halo: ODST is quite the shake-up from Halo 3. Well, the Rookie sections at least. It makes me wonder if Halo Infinite might end up having a similar structure, or if it really is just going to be an open-world game.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Lt. Lizard posted:

The one not made by Bethesda you mean?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stop talking about cool Fallout 4 mods, it's like 10$ for the full set on GameBillet and if I'm not careful my wallet will leap from my hands and buy something

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really enjoyed Fallout 4 from the "survive in a post-apocalyptic shithole" side of things. I liked building up a scrap city and gathering a new community of hundreds of people all for the singular purpose of building me a slightly better laser sight for my gun. The plot was awful though. The only line I actually liked is how you can, as the villain's dad, tell him how disappointed you are in them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fallout 4 had some interesting ideas but they were all pretty half-baked. It's fun enough but it's not the kind of game that provokes a lot of thoughtful discussion besides laughing at how dumb the Institute is.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Underwhelmed posted:

New Vegas is a decade old.

What are you talking about, it was released like 4-5 years ag....

gently caress :corsair:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I own Fallout 4 but have never played it. Might never bother, might just wait for the New Vegas mod for it and finally actually play more than a few hours of NV that way!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
One other thing about ODST that I'm noticing compared to Halo 3 is that it's clear Bungie had gotten used to the 360 hardware, because it has a much better sense of scale. H3 had some cool setpieces, but the actual areas they took place in were oftentimes comically small.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Stop talking about cool Fallout 4 mods, it's like 10$ for the full set on GameBillet and if I'm not careful my wallet will leap from my hands and buy something
Is GameBillet any good? The site looks a bit shady, but 12€ for the GOTY edition is a really good price.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The one thing I didn’t like about ODST is that I found the City “hub” section relatively unpleasant to navigate. I didn’t mind the perpetual dark moodiness of it, but I feel like they could have done more to make more distinct landmarks so it was easier to immediately recognize where I was in the map.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Is GameBillet any good? The site looks a bit shady, but 12€ for the GOTY edition is a really good price.

I can't vouch for them but they're featured on IsThereAnyDeal which only aggregates legit resellers.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

repiv posted:

I can't vouch for them but they're featured on IsThereAnyDeal which only aggregates legit resellers.
Alright, thanks.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

Maybe the Nuka Cola disneyland is fun, who knows.
Funny thing about that DLC: it's basically empty. The map pretty much only has enemies, there is an extremely small amount of quests that all depend on you joining the raiders and consist of "subdue gang leader X to get his people to join you". No story, no progression. It's poo poo even by Fallout DLC standards.

And I'm saying that as someone who unironically loves Dead Money.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I have bought from them four times in the past with no issues!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Picked this up the other day and have really been enjoying it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465490/Stellar_Tactics/
https://www.stellartactics.com/about/

Its an old school tactics game, think more Fallout than Xcom.
Plus it also has spaceship combat, trading, smuggling.
Classless progression, weapons level as you use them as do stuff like medicine and hacking.
Its been in early access for years but gets updated regularly and it seems their dev posts on the Steam forums quite a bit.
Basically its a very wide open sandbox.

quote:

Build a squad of space mercenaries and explore a vast universe with 160,000+ Star Systems
Direct your squad in turn-based ground battles against mutations and hostile forces
Classless character progression and 240 perks allow for unrestricted customization. Specialize squad members or master all weapons skills
Tons of gear which can be upgraded with Nano-Tech and component parts. Most items can be crafted for your crew and ships, making the equipment system extremely flexible.
40 ships to choose from - Each can be customized with various quality grades of equipment and specialized as cargo, mining, exploration or combat vessels
Disable, board, and capture ships with your away team. Loot and sell them for profit.
Mine asteroids, refine raw ore and trade commodities on the Trade-Net - Set beacons in Star Systems to stream trade data and dominate the universal commodities market
Scan planets to reveal exploration opportunities and resources that can be harvested using mining drones - a great way to earn money and gather resources for crafting
A living dynamic universe - Explore ancient civilizations, colonies, cave systems, and the ruins of hundreds of years of unrelenting warfare
Accept bounties, follow the main story or explore - the choice is yours

I would call the UI/combat a little slow, but over all a big thumbs up from me.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Gamebillet is fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The only line I actually liked is how you can, as the villain's dad, tell him how disappointed you are in them.

Then you can kill your son. And cannibalize him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

My Fallout experience: blew up the starting town in Fallout 3. Didn't click with New Vegas because ??? will try again later. Fallout 4: starting it now and holy jesus this 1950s vibe is SUPER creepy