Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

booksnake posted:

Given that he ran up behind you and you didnt immediately begin shooting him, I choose to believe that guy is your ally and he killed you by pushing you down the stairs

(I know absolutely nothing about the game, I just think it's kind of funny)

That guy is indeed the player's ally. Though now that I look at it, he was facing away from me when I died, so maybe he was breaking wind with lethal force from his cybernetically-enhanced rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Goddamn the steam reviews for Medal of Honor VR are brutal. Mostly Negative with 300 reviews, apparently the game came out of the oven a good six months too early.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Triarii posted:

That guy is indeed the player's ally. Though now that I look at it, he was facing away from me when I died, so maybe he was breaking wind with lethal force from his cybernetically-enhanced rear end.

If only he took 5% less fall damage, he'd have been fine.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Propaganda Hour posted:

Goddamn the steam reviews for Medal of Honor VR are brutal. Mostly Negative with 300 reviews, apparently the game came out of the oven a good six months too early.

It feels like a launch era title, what with all the load screens and janky interactions/selection issues. It's also way overpriced, and 200gb.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

From the VR thread;

Can't even get something so basic correct, but something like single-dev H3VR handle interactions much better.

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYIXcx6liw

Ouch.

Oculus strategy of funding external devs for games isn't working, because it seems the devs just take the money and run.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

nordichammer posted:

I was under the impression that Endless Dungeon was an offshoot of the 4X series with Endless Legend and Endless Space and such instead of Dungeon of the Endless. Was I off base there? Or are they all the same universe?

If so, that's even more confusing. :psyduck:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

MonkeyforaHead posted:

If so, that's even more confusing. :psyduck:

All of them are the same universe. In fact, Dungeon of the Endless is the origin story for the Vaulters faction in Endless Legend, iirc

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Endless series is, thus far, all loosely interconnected.

The Endless themselves are the setting's take on the "Precursor hyper-advanced spacefaring society that vanished and left behind lots of abandoned defense systems, tech schematics, created/shaped/uplifted races, etc. etc. "
Dungeon of the Endless is the earliest in the timeline and follows a penal transport ship that gets shot down by one of those defense systems over a former science center world of the Endless. The hapless survivors eventually make it to the surface of the planet, and call the place home. Endless Legend takes place later on the timeline on the same world as it slowly spirals into collapse while the warring factions of the world try to do something about it. The Endless Space games are set even further from there - the planet from Endless Legend is dead by this point, but at least one faction (the Vaulters) can claim to be successors of escapees from that world. IIRC Endless Space 2 basically supplants 1, lorewise.

Not much of this matters as far as the games themselves play, but it's the Lore.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
hearing lore talk is cool. I never got into them, but the praise has been high

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Since the screenshot thread is dead and an expansion for Umurangi Generation recently came out and it's a very good game if you like taking pictures (and thinking about how hosed the world is) here are some pictures.

Edit:
Epansion starts out strong.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 12, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

twistedmentat posted:

Also i realized back a few pages I asked about the expansion for Terraforming Mars, when I meant Surviving Mars's expansion.

It's okay. You get a tangible end goal, which is nice.

It did not solve the problem that Suviving Mars is a 100% STEMlord game. It's obvious the devs read the Mars trilogy and their only takeaway was "Wow, cool terraforming". You're basically playing Musk's wank fantasy.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Triarii posted:

Goddamn Cyberpunk is bad. I'm in a lengthy combat sequence where I have to fight my way out of a place. The combat is not good. Enemies are very bullet-spongey, and don't do anything more interesting than crouch behind a box, pop up to shoot, and occasionally throw a grenade. You can't save while in combat, and this entire sequence is considered to be in combat. So I'm grinding my way through these boring meatshield enemies. I collect a bunch of loot, change my gear around a bit through the cumbersome menus, level up and spend my character points, interact with some computer terminals, read a few lore files sitting around, and do a little sidequest for a character and go through a conversation with them. Probably 20-30 minutes all told. Then, when I'm presumably getting close to the end, my character up and dies.

https://i.imgur.com/ROU7oGb.mp4

I still can't tell what killed me. (Or, well, "killed" me since I seem to still have 1 health.) But I'm dead, and it turns out there weren't any automatic checkpoints during that whole sequence because I'm right back at the start of it and all that laborious progress is gone.

Also, it's weirdly difficult to see and pick up loot. It puts icons above lootable things, but they're inconsistent and flickery, and in order to get them to show up more than 5 feet away you have to turn on your dumb detective vision that slows you to a walk. And it can be really hard to get the button prompt to pick things up to appear sometimes, like I have to keep rubbing up against the thing and moving around to different angles to try to find where it wants me to stand to interact with it. Sometimes I can't get the prompt to come up at all and I just have to walk away and leave it.
I'm kind of struggling to get into the game myself. I just did that exact fight and the whole thing just felt weirdly disconnected. I didn't know if I was supposed to be killing the enemies or just running by them. They all seemed like bullet sponges who weren't reacting to anything I did. I got to the part in your video and realized I had no choice but to kill those two robots, but all of the guns and grenades I had barely did any damage to them. I kind of just ran around the arena aimlessly and then they died on their own. Maybe an ally was shooting them, I couldn't really tell.

The loot is really, really bad. I've only played for a few hours, and I dread every fight because it means I'm going to have more bodies to dig through with ten more guns and pants with slightly different stats to compare. I keep picking up crafting components too and I'm not even sure if that's a system I'm able to interact with yet. I could probably just try and ignore the inventory system, but it definitely feels like it's meant to be a big part of the game. I feel underpowered in every fight I've been in so far so I feel like I need to constantly be looking for better gear.

I like the atmosphere, and the little story I've seen so far has been intriguing, but every time I have to interact with the game beyond that it feels really bad. It feels like I'm missing something or that I'm playing the game incorrectly, as if there was a tutorial section I somehow skipped. Everything just feels really janky for a game that had this much time and money poured into it.

I've already come to regret preordering it. I didn't think it was much of a risk since I bought all of The Witcher games at launch and loved them. Maybe I just need to put it on the backburner for a bit and try it again after it's been updated a few times. I doubt they'll fix the loot system with patches, but maybe if I restart the game with a better idea of what I'm getting into I'll have a better time easing into it.

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 12, 2020

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I just wish it didn't run like such loving garbage

Also there seems to be done inherent mouse acceleration which is driving me insane

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
There was an ally mech (at least, for me) in that mandatory early Cyberpunk segment, but I honestly could not tell if they were helping at all. So I did the "Video games > logic" thing of leaping down and tickling it with my fully automatic pistol while hiding behind boxes it couldn't get me through.

It would not be so bad if you could save in combat. Pro tier reason to dabble in stealth+hacking, lets you save in the middle of a mission until any scripted 'and now it is a firefight'.

Just be sure to pump stealth/headshot multipliers if you want to go all in. I neck snapped my way through a major plot point because stealing the personal handgun of the Emperor's son and putting a silencer on it still wasn't killing people from stealth fast enough (But a roided out super cyborg with a machinegun and neck guard included body armor? Neck snap!)

Later you can get bullshit shoot through walls rifle to get revenge on such early game hurdles at least.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 12, 2020

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The forced story combat sequences were all bad so far. The world is cool. The loot sucks. The stealth is not good. That's my review so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I somewhat worry that I made the game too easy for myself by going 2/1/1 Body/Reflexes/Cool and just bunnyhopping around, killing everybody with a knife.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

exquisite tea posted:

I somewhat worry that I made the game too easy for myself by going 2/1/1 Body/Reflexes/Cool and just bunnyhopping around, killing everybody with a knife.

ah the cs1.6 build

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

You may be thinking of X Rebirth which was the fourth X game but wasn’t called X4 but then they made a fifth X and called it X4.
Which was the one where you got one ship all game and just upgraded it and anything different you had to leave to the AI?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

exquisite tea posted:

I've played like 5 hours and only used a gun and it is a deep shame. I haven't found a knife?

The menu system is pretty bad, the one mission where you can hack a credit card I had to google how to get to the menu because the hotkeys take you one level too deep so it was not immediately obvious. Considering it changed the plot significantly, it was a bit frustrating.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Pleads posted:

I've played like 5 hours and only used a gun and it is a deep shame. I haven't found a knife?

The menu system is pretty bad, the one mission where you can hack a credit card I had to google how to get to the menu because the hotkeys take you one level too deep so it was not immediately obvious. Considering it changed the plot significantly, it was a bit frustrating.

The menus are the most baffling thrown-together poo poo. You have an "inventory" and also a "backpack" which are two different things, but they have some overlap in their functionality. There's a button to go to the backpack from the inventory, but not vice versa.

At one point I got a tutorial popup that showed some kind of quick slots that I could assign grenades to, sort of like a weapon wheel? But I have no idea where that is or how to use it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Zereth posted:

Which was the one where you got one ship all game and just upgraded it and anything different you had to leave to the AI?

Yes, though you don't really have the tools to build the kind of empire you can have in X3 and X4 either, so it's a lot more straightforward.

X:Rebirth is fine as a game divorced from the context of your typical X game. There are some really cool visuals in the game, and combat, especially against capital ships, is pretty neat. Some of the sectors run extremely high on rule of cool, like Home of Light with its ring highway plastered with advertisement holograms, DeVries with another ring connected to a hub location extremely low above a sun, or sectors with gigantic clouds of hundreds of thousands of mines. Some of the ship designs are also much more inspired compared to X4.

Rebirth was a testbed for X4 and a lot of stuff that didn't work in Rebirth got dropped.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

Triarii posted:

At one point I got a tutorial popup that showed some kind of quick slots that I could assign grenades to, sort of like a weapon wheel? But I have no idea where that is or how to use it.

Press and hold down on the scrollwheel to throw grenades while in combat.

My interface gripe:
I keep wanting to click on the [Esc] prompt to close the window I am in.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jokymi posted:

I've already come to regret preordering it.

I will never understand the desire to preorder digital games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just wish it didn't run like such loving garbage

Also there seems to be done inherent mouse acceleration which is driving me insane

Do you have mouse acceleration enabled in the Windows mouse properties? (Called «enhanced cursor precision» or something) I’ve seen some people complain about this but there is no acceleration for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Running fine for me, but I just got a new CPU and a 2060. I need a new PSU for my 3070 and then it'll run even better :v:

There is definitely too much loot, but also it's really easy to just say, "gently caress it, +2DPS isn't worth poo poo so I'm just going to mass vendor everything I've looted in the last hour"

Shotguns feel pretty strong. Not sure about Pistols or Rifles/SMGs.

The actual interaction and trying to pick loot up can be pretty clunky, often times hard to aim at & select what you want though, yea.

Have experienced almost no real bugs, especially nothing of serious impact. In summary game actually owns and is a ton of fun to play.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why on earth would PHOGS! stop recognizing my controller out of nowhere, when it worked just fine up until yesterday and the controller still works with everything else. Fuckin' computers

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I will say this though: the game does NOT stop throwing side quests and other "interruptions" at you.

I feel like I can't just do a mission without getting 2 phone calls and 3 texts about new side quests, and it's making it hard for me to really get into the story because I can't keep track of what's actually pertinent main story stuff with all these distractions.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Triarii posted:

Goddamn Cyberpunk is bad. I'm in a lengthy combat sequence where I have to fight my way out of a place. The combat is not good. Enemies are very bullet-spongey, and don't do anything more interesting than crouch behind a box, pop up to shoot, and occasionally throw a grenade. You can't save while in combat, and this entire sequence is considered to be in combat. So I'm grinding my way through these boring meatshield enemies. I collect a bunch of loot, change my gear around a bit through the cumbersome menus, level up and spend my character points, interact with some computer terminals, read a few lore files sitting around, and do a little sidequest for a character and go through a conversation with them. Probably 20-30 minutes all told. Then, when I'm presumably getting close to the end, my character up and dies.

https://i.imgur.com/ROU7oGb.mp4

I still can't tell what killed me. (Or, well, "killed" me since I seem to still have 1 health.) But I'm dead, and it turns out there weren't any automatic checkpoints during that whole sequence because I'm right back at the start of it and all that laborious progress is gone.

Also, it's weirdly difficult to see and pick up loot. It puts icons above lootable things, but they're inconsistent and flickery, and in order to get them to show up more than 5 feet away you have to turn on your dumb detective vision that slows you to a walk. And it can be really hard to get the button prompt to pick things up to appear sometimes, like I have to keep rubbing up against the thing and moving around to different angles to try to find where it wants me to stand to interact with it. Sometimes I can't get the prompt to come up at all and I just have to walk away and leave it.

I completely forgot there was a boss fight in that mission because of the decisions i made with my character i just had to kill some npcs and exit the building.

Sab669 posted:

Shotguns feel pretty strong. Not sure about Pistols or Rifles/SMGs.

Pistols are probably one of the strongest weapons if you go for headshots because there are some that have multiplicative added damage, instead of additive so you can get double-quadruple damage compared to what you can do with the other weapons once you star hitting headshots.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yes. You're not expected to get every plane in even two full playthroughs.

Good. Although I find it tough to fly anything other than the F14 because the WSO is an absolute delight

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FastestGunAlive posted:

Fellow Project Wingman pilots: can you earn money for the campaign with free missions? I’m like three missions from the end and there’s no way you can earn enough to buy all planes or even one of the top tier options in one playthrough

You can, but just Cheat Engine for planebucks

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The fact that I haven't seen anybody even mention that Dragon Age thing from the game awards is pretty damning, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the what awards

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Nobody thinks the game will actually come out before Bioware implodes.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Bioware more like Biowere.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It turns out Anthem... was their Requiem!

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Mordja posted:

The fact that I haven't seen anybody even mention that Dragon Age thing from the game awards is pretty damning, right?

The current mood about Bioware is basically "we should expect nothing and still prepare to be disappointed", so yeah.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

well the dragon age guy left bioware like last week, and now the anthem guy is in charge of it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I really like Cyberpunk so I put in enough effort to really think about its rpg system elements, which I think let the while thing down a bit. It's got an Oblivion-esque skill leveling system, but thankfully disconnected from actual levels. I shared these thoughts in the cyberpunk thread but it moves too fast and it feels a bit like pissing in someone's cereal pointing it out while people are just having fun.

The main way to level Athletics is to grind by constantly spending stamina. As running uses up very little stamina and you have to use a lot of stamina to get a very small amount of exp this means you won't have a lot of it unless you're a melee spec or decide to become Night City's most diligent shadowboxer.

And most of the perks are either subtle incremental stuff or outright trap options.

That and the weird inventory quirks definitely feels like the guys who designed the rpg system stuff don't really play rpgs. It's overly granular and lacking in elegance or depth of design, a quality which to be fair never was CDPR's specialty.

It's clunky and hides its lack of depth with complexity.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I kinda don't think internet tone on Bioware really matters.

Like if you listen to the internet, Bioware has been dead since DA2, and Mass Effect is the shiiiit.

Except Mass Effect has never even gotten close to the sales of Dragon Age, and Inquisition is still Bioware top selling game ever. It outsold the entire ME trilogy combined. Andromeda ended up tailing into it's expectations, so it was a success ( and we've since learned the dropping of the DLC was because Anthem was floundering, not because of Andromeda. ).

It's a company that to it's investors still only has one real flop in Anthem. And put out it's most successful games while people were constantly saying the company is dead and this game was going to tank because finally people realize. ( Hell, I was one of those people who was laughing at people for getting excited for ME3/DA:I after DA2. ).

The internet does not uh, have their finger on the Bioware fanbase pulse, and never has.

^^^^ I played a bit of Cyberpunk and it's not a great game. It's going to get ravaged once the hype wears off. Invisible War is a better game then it, I say as a person who likes Invisible War, but not THAT much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordja posted:

Not having a single gameplay screen is pretty bad after years and years of teasing the game. It's less clowning on Bioware and more that the game has been scrapped and completely restarted at least once and recently several major people involved on it left the company.

Also it seems like Mass Effect Andromeda is effectively getting memory holed as the new trailer takes it back to the Milky Way.