Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I just got an email from steam telling me to play Fallout 76 because I have fallout games in my library, even though I only have Fallout 2 in my steam. I've never gotten this kind of email from Steam with over 100 games bought. I wonder how much Bethesda had to pay for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Krazyface posted:

I got it too; mine specifically said "Because you have played Fallout games in the past". Do they think the problem with 76 is that people haven't heard of it?

Their algorithm probably determined we're unlikely to demand refunds or something

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah there are a bunch of email preferences. I think the very last one which is both really wordy and vague is the one that enables this.

Maybe they think that people just didn't want their bethesda client (which is true) but are otherwise very interested (which is false) so it's more a notice that it's on steam rather than that it exists at all.

Yeah but it must be a new thing since I’ve never gotten one before. I haven’t looked at the email preferences in the ~15 years since I’ve had the client tbh but thanks to Fallout 76 I will do so now!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I got that confused with Paul Thomas Anderson and was bewildered for a few minutes until I googled it.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Man, Age of Empires III Definitive Edition is one of the most broken full release games I've encountered in a long time. the backgrounds in the menu don't load and I get a CTD whenever I try to start a game, on a recently built machine. Spent a while trying to troubleshoot it based on google but no luck. Really takes me back, feels like I downloaded this thing off limewire.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

What were the misses?

Tyranny was good. Pillars was good. Deadfire was amazing. Haven't played that Southpark game. Outer Worlds is their one miss so far imo.

Agree with this, but Outer Worlds was a AA game that came out of nowhere, and sold and reviewed much better than it had any right to. I think some of the initial reviews and FNV comparisons set people’s expectations way too high, but calling it a miss seems like a stretch. It was a neat small budget game and it already has a sequel in development.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Since there was so much discussion about it lately, is it a good time to get into destiny 2 or should I wait for the next expansion/sequel? I just got a new rig (first time having a desktop pc in ~10 years) and am looking for a good online game to get into. I played destiny 1 a bunch on ps4 but eventually gave up

edit: never mind I'm dumb apparently a new expansion just came out which is why people are talking about it :doh:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Can someone explain what was actually wrong with the description instead of just being snarky? Is it the use of that d-word specifically?

It's pretty annoying how everyone on twitter and here just assumes everyone has had the same training as them on woke people-inclusive lived experiences or whatever. Many of us are willing to accommodate something as trivial as not saying a specific term, but it seems like extremely online folx are speaking a completely different language that they don't want other people to understand.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I built a great pc with a video card bottleneck because I didn’t realize how hard it would be to get a 3000 series in Canada. Owned

The 1060 is holding up fairly well though

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Xaris posted:

that said, western AAA games have poo poo the bed hard for the past several years outside of a few like Arkane games or Doom 2016 or Sony-made (GoW/HZD). it's just janky ubisoft garbage that they've been re-skinning and releasing multiple times a year, cods, fallout 76s, anthems, and lazy remasters.

There are a couple good AAA games that really flew under the radar, a cowboy one called “Red Dead Redemption 2” and one called “The Last of Us 2”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

OgNar posted:

Are there any conversions for modern Xcoms?
I love the gameplay but hate all the micro management extra bullshit.
Need a conversion that just gives me combat missions.

Not a mod but you might like Gears Tactics. It’s on Xbox gamepass if you don’t wanna pay full price on steam. Doesn’t have the base building stuff, bigger maps than xcom, it does have more story though.

Starks fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 4, 2020