Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really wanted to like it but it just didn’t do it for me. I can’t even put my finger on exactly why.

Ditto, I played it for maybe five or six hours and then just stopped playing and never picked it up again. It just didn't have pull for me to make me keep playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Mordja posted:

Blackbird Interactive, of Homeworld fame, have revealed their next game and it's a spaceship decommissioning simulator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDPgI9vkmYg
EA this summer.

I mean I'd be happy with just a game where you get to poke around empty spaceships that look like Chris Foss designed them, never mind having actual gameplay.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

RTS/tower defence game Taur is out today, and it looks like it might be my kind of jam. If I have the time over the weekend I'll grab it and get some two hour impressions in.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Orv posted:

(Sort of) Creeper World clones you say. :getin:

Love to hear your impressions.

Now that you mention it, it does sound extremely Creeper Worldly! Love those games.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Cinara posted:

Death's Gambit is also free on game pass.

As is My Friend Pedro, and it's a pretty short game unless you want to start score attacking it over and over.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

haldolium posted:

Ori was exclusively home office/remote developed as I recently read

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-10-building-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps-with-80-people-working-from-home

Very progressive way of thinking.

The two guys that are Subset Games developed FTL in two different countries (US and China) for most of the game's development. I remember listening to an interview where they explained that one of them would work on the game, go to sleep, and the other guy would pick up from there.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

You can never be one hundred percent sure, of course, but given that they have already made multiple major content updates on the game while maintaining save compatibility, I am struggling to think what game-revolutionizing mechanic they could come up with and implement in the final few months of early access while invalidating saves.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

40 Proof Listerine posted:

As long as Saints Row 3 has the music licensing intact it'll be still be aces, especially the use of Hybrid's album I Choose Noise as the majority of the cutscenes' soundtrack.

Finally, I feel like I've found the second person on the planet who likes Hybrid. I actually got into them way after playing SR3.

I was watching a video of the remaster and had forgotten about the penthouse mission with Kanye's song Power but it made me hella nostalgic.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I bought it on day one, played until an extremely unsettling jump scare (which i am told is the only one in the game) and immediately alt+f4'd and never picked it up again.

Yeah, I am a giant wuss and this nearly put me off the game when I played it last year, but I was able to work through it by just going and looking up a video to see what's what and that way it stopped worrying me, and even so that area was really really tense but in a good way.

GOTY 2019 and now it gets to be GOTY 2020 as well!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Xaris posted:

That's good to hear. Left3Dead would sell like absolute loving hotcakes and an obscene amount of people are still playing L4D2, like one of the most populated games on Steam. It's rather absurb how much Valve is allergic to money and they've left so much money on the table by not doing it.

Even if they made a blockbuster game, how much would it make compared to what Steam is bringing in? The Steam money is so enormous that the company can afford to just basically gently caress around with an entire division for a whole decade and it won't show anywhere. Or ignore problems until they just become too big, because otherwise they won't chip your revenue at all.

It would be different if it was a publicly owned company. In those the management needs to wring out every penny out of the company in profit or the shareholders will sue.

The only drive the company as a whole will have to make any games is that the people in the company will really want to make games. (This is not a value judgement, that they "should" be making games. They can do whatever the gently caress they want)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

My hot Doom Eternal take is that I see too much complaining about the Marauders, and too little complaining about the platforming. If I could have fought three Marauders at the same time instead of having to do that particularly heinous jumping puzzle in the Super-Dimensional Fortress or whatever its name was, I would have happily done it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Play it on Game Pass for now -> buy it on Steam with DLC later is exactly my plan as well, since Game Pass included games usually require you to buy the DLC to get access to them unless it's a GOTY edition in the first place of an older game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Magitek posted:

Looks like Star Renegades is coming out in a few hours. Videos look promising and streamers/reviewers seem to like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CejxKlv4P5U

Massive Damage also made Halcyon: Starbase Commander, which was a good game but got too repetitive over time. Some reviews hint that this might have the same issue. On the other hand, Massive Damage kept working on Halcyon for years after launch, so it might be worth waiting. (But it is coming out immediately on Game Pass.)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looking at the MG1 screenshots it's the version from MGS3 Subsistence, why they didn't port MG2 similarly is beyond me

What's with Snake Eater and Peace Walker never getting remakes or ports past the PS3, anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Artelier posted:

I looked up videos of this and I can't really understand what kind of game it is. Retro graphics FPS but not arcadey - has objectives and it looks like you can plan stuff? Not sure if it's doing a whole new thing or if it's cribbing from an older game I'm unfamiliar with.

Maybe retro graphics isn't quite the right word but it is definitely a look alright.

As far as I can tell it's mainly a shooter. But the entire game design seems to be about making you as uncomfortable as possible while playing it, which it admittedly seems to excel at. I don't really know how to categorize it because it's an avant garde game that refuses to play by the rules of the medium. If that sounds cool for you, then cool! But whenever people praise it I can't determine if they are just irony poisoned or want to be in on the joke, or if they genuinely enjoy it.