Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anybody tried Chivalry 2 yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yes, I loving loved Chivalry 1, so that's good news!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've complained about it recently in this very thread but the entire trend in the last few years of having early deep sales on a base game (or even giving the base game away for free) but then having 50 DLC at/near full-price forever if you actually want the WHOLE game, never allowing any 'Game of the Year' edition to go cheap can just go jump in the lake as far as I'm concerned. I get it, you're not working for free, but if a game has been out for like 3+ years I feel like a patient person ought to be able to pick up a GOTY version cheap if they were willing to be patient.

Looking at you:
- Every fighting game
- Vermintide/2
- Civilization VI
- Ashes of the Singularity
- Every Paradox game
- Every Total War game
- Darkest Dungeon
- Every Ubisoft game

Basically if at any point any single piece of DLC is more expensive than the entire base game, it's guilty of the kind of thing I'm talking about. I just can't bring myself to buy a "$5" game if the version with all the DLC is still $70. :negative:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 10, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm a dedicated cheapskate. I can wait. :colbert: I didn't even get The Witcher 3 until the GOTY version finally dropped under $10 earlier this year, and that was from 2015.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It seems so short-sighted, though. Every other Japanese console dev seems to have realized years ago that PC ports getting streamed on Twitch are a BFD, witness how much From Software's ports have improved over the years, for example.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

While I hate this poo poo too, Ubisoft...really isn't one of the companies I'd accuse of doing it? At least not by default. Certain games of theirs are a headache to navigate all the different slightly different DLC packages but even then the ones I can think of are pretty old at this point.

Depends on your definition of cheap. AssCreed Odyssey's super-ultra-mega package, for example, still hovers around $20 even on sale I don't care if it's 'just cosmetic' DLC :colbert:. My backlog of 40+ hour single-player games is so deep at this point I'm willing to wait for years and years. I mean I JUST finally installed Morrowind the other day. It's definitely my brainworms, but I feel like at SOME point the "GOTY" version should be less than $10 if the base game has been. It just feels like the point where the base game is less than $10 is getting faster and faster but the time where the WHOLE game is less than $10 is getting longer and longer. But like they said, my brainworms. But it's not my imagination -- developers have definitely learned how to use things like this to manipulate the Steam-sale psychology over the years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I want to say that a lot of a certain era of Unreal Engine games look like that to me.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's probably it.

RE: Chivalry 2, picked it up on the thread's recommendation. :dance: If you're going to get it you should do it now while they still have that $10.00 coupon on Epic.

Only had a chance to play the tutorial on my lunch break so far, but the narrator gave me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4PZXuk3TsM

vibes

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I have to say since I started using Playnite to launch everything I really don't mind everyone and their dog having their own launcher as much as I thought I would. Now if they start breaking Playnite or it stops updating, I'll be back at square one, but for now it's gravy. The big advantage Playnite has over adding everything to Steam is that Playnite has figured out how to work with Xbox Game Pass games.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Neat! Steam link to save y'all a google https://store.steampowered.com/app/1590760/Metal_Slug_Tactics/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Death Stranding itself wasn't my jam but I very much want to see more huge budget videogames like that which bear such a strong mark of one auteur's singular vision (even when it's batshit insane) in the same way you can point to movies and say, "That's a Scorsese movie" or "That's a Wachowski movie" instead of the faceless committee-driven consumer products they generally are. For better or worse nobody but Kojima could ever have made that game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I only tried the original oculus rift and found it was really uncomfortable and blurry with eyeglasses on. Are more recent ones better in that regard? I've actually heard the PSVR is the most comfortable for people who wear glasses.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is there a thread for Chivalry 2? Hate to keep asking questions about it here when it's not even on Steam, even though this is often the default miscellaneous PC-gaming thread.

Anyway, I keep seeing notifications that I've been healed by other players, and seeing + signs over friendly player's heads, but aside from bandages I can use on myself I haven't yet figured out how to heal other players. How do you do it?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I want the guys who made 'Mark of the Ninja' to make a Batman game in that style.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's weird how the Netflix Castlevania is an Amarican production written first in English by a famous British comics writer (Warren Ellis) and performed first in English and yet it still manages (to me, anyway) to capture the vibe of an awkwardly translated anime dub. The first 3-4 episodes I kept instinctively trying to switch it to Japanese audio with subtitles and then remembering that no, it was supposed to sound like this. I can't point to anything as awesome bad as "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets!" but it still has that vibe.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I really liked the Outer Worlds. That it was limited and overly linear was a plus to me. I don't need another 500 hour mod-fest "one true game" in the vein of Skyrim or New Vegas at my age. Give me a fun 30 hour experience that's one-and-done, thanks. But then I also enjoyed Obsidian's Dungeon Siege 3. The only problem I had with it was that the DLC came out after I'd already finished the game but seemed like it would be better for a replay, which I wasn't tempted to do.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

What are some good tactics/squad games options on steam? I just finished another heavily modded run of X-com 2 and am relatively clueless as to what else is out there from the last three years or so. I also really enjoyed the smaller scope of Invisible Inc and Chimera Squad as well.

I'm down with fantasy/sci-fi/comteporary as long as the characters or plot have something to them. I already own Troubleshooters apparently and didn't love the first hour or two of Fae Tactics. Real time stuff like Desperados 3 was solid but I prefer a turn based or initiative system over real time.

Any suggestions out there?

Have you played Into the Breach? Although like Invisible Inc it's as much a puzzle game as a strategy game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
There's Battletech and HBS's Shadowrun tactics/rpg games. I don't think Dawn of War, while excellent, is the type of strategy game OP is going for.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

drat, well, I guess they finally got me. What are your experiences with the Epic storefront, before I dive in?

I'm amazed that Chivalry 2 actually came out, let alone that it's apparently good. Anyone else remember Mirage: Arcane Warfare? Probably not, I'm assuming I'm the only one in the world who does. I actually kind of liked it

Epic Game Store is fine. I use Playnite to launch everything anyway, so I hardly notice. Free games are cool I guess. Only potential downside is that even with console crossplay I'm seeing at least a half-dozen bots in every match, but I dunno if that's due to low population numbers or just fillers as people drop in-and-out (there's no penalty for dropping mid-match in Chiv).

I also remember Mirage, but only in that I remember being vaguely excited by the previews and then somehow it launched and died apparently without my ever hearing about it again? :shrug:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
With only a few exceptions -- the situation is pretty bleak for any PC multiplayer title that isn't one of the big three (Blizzard, Call of Duty, Battlefield) and isn't free-to-play. Console crossplay helps but isn't necessarily a cure-all.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Other than Vermintide, I'm struggling to think of any pay-to-play games with a healthy PC-exclusive multiplayer population that aren't Overwatch, Battlefield, console crossplay (sports games, fighting games) or free-to-play (e.g. Warzone, Apex Legends, Fortnite, Rocket League, Counter Strike, TF2).

municipal shrimp posted:

This isn't true at all? There are tons of pc games with healthy mp communities. I've been playing hunt showdown recently and that community has been growing steadily since release. Also most co op games seem to have a pretty long lifespan. Your vermintides and DRGs. Even fighting games seem to do well. The new guilty gear has around 30k players at it's daily peak according to steam.

Without knowing which ones you mean, I bet most of the ones you're talking about include those with console crossplay.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
OK. I'm totally imagining that you can bet that 9 out of 10 multiplayer-focused PC games will have populations less than 1,000 within two months of launch if they're not free-to-play or cross-platform with consoles unless they're one of the few annual AAA franchises or a Blizzard game. OK. Go buy a smaller multiplayer game that came out more than 3 months ago and tell me there are more than 3 populated servers on average and everyone else still playing besides you hasn't gone plat multiple times over. OK. ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ just my imagination running away with me ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

Imagined fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Everyone quoting Deep Rock Galactic and Vermintide at me knows what an "exception" is, right?