Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Xander77 posted:

In Doom Eternal, the player will often enter a new combat arena to find the demons already fighting each other. I'm asking whether there's some sort of civil war in hell in the intricate lore of the Doom series. Also, whether the monsters will actually eventually kill each other if the player waits long enough before drawing their attention.

Demons just kind of beat the poo poo out of each other for fun, they won't ever kill each other during scripted infighting* but can if it happens organically while fighting you

*There's a couple instances where they will but that's when they're scripted to kill, normally they just wail on each other forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

World war Z is pretty good! The worst part is honestly the skill tree cause a number of them are semi useless and/or have a really low proc rate. Like for my current class I've got one that has a small %chance to get a free reuse out of a defense kit. So like, its worthless most of the time but sometimes you get lucky and 1 sentry gun turns into 2 or 3 and its an absolutely huge swing. I'd say it's only truly a issue on the super hard difficulties though

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Breakdown is definitely not good, I feel as if I am smearing tapioca and mayonnaise on white bread while listening to NPR while playing it. HOWEVER. I began talking to a fisherman npc, and after 15 minutes of glass eyed rambling about an old fish that turned out to mean "Fetch 10 metal scraps" I shot him in the loving face and he died. So it's at least 7/10

(he came back on a re-load so 6/10)

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Bannerlord is extremely good; it's actually an early access game in the original sense of paying to be a beta tester, so if that doesn't appeal save yourself the grief and wait a couple months

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Network42 posted:

Game's been in development 8 years, might take more than a month or two...

Oh yeah there's no way this things been actively developed for 8 years, I'd love to know how many times it was put on hiatus

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My friends are fiends for sea of thieves, and I'll tag in if they need a fourth sometimes and have an okay time, but my brain has been en-smoothened by years of abuse and grinding cash and rep for hours for purely cosmetic unlocks leaves me cold

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

Some RTS I know nothing about is currently free on humble bundle.

Good? Bad? Who cares, it's free :newfap:

It's pretty bad but it's deffo worth free especially if you can round up some friends for comb stomps

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

so Hunt Showdown is pretty cool but also sucks balls because we keep getting oneshot (through walls sometimes) by players that almost always have hundreds of monster and player kills and multiple maxed hunters, and now after like a dozen matches we ranked high enough that our Hunters Die In Real Life when we lose which would mean anything if we weren't getting dumpstered constantly so they never level up anyways

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, playing Terraria and wondering what it would be like if the combat was actually good in one of these style games

Orv posted:

Reminder that Star Citizen originally hired out a studio to do their FPS mechanics, wherein that studio was incapable of making a view model work correctly so when you ADSed the gun flipped backwards in your hands. When they fixed that the gun then didn't shoot where you were aiming. Then that studio stole a bunch of CIG's money to go make a Cthulhu sex MMO that never even got into alpha.

THAT WAS THE SAME COMPANY??!!?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's like a warm bath. Early 2000's era galaxy-brain MMO design but in 2015 somehow

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

Is it a publisher experiment to see how well it does and a shitload of DLCs will earn back the initial loss, or is EGS desperate, since they would probably have to foot the bill on top of the exclusivity?

The last Total War Saga game did okay but not well enough to support further DLC. I think this is them going a safer route for a guaranteed return. Troy being sort of a side/smaller game makes it a good option to experiment with, as well

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You can't drink from ye flask

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Orv posted:

I will now go off on something nobody cares about for five seconds; Gamers as a whole community tend to find their way to half an understanding of a technical system or terminology and then grossly misuse it for what they assume will be their benefit/gain but very rarely actually amounts to anything. See: kernel access, tick rate, minimum viable product, beta, alpha, vertical slice, et al.

I watched a youtuber say the new AI in Age of Empires 2 definitive edition was a missed opportunity, because they should have instead run the game through Deepmind and I became so irrationally angry that I am still typing about it months later

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

This will be interesting I think. Along with Issac, rogue legacy really ushered in the glut of indie roguelikes. At the time I liked it but in hindsight it was pretty poo poo so I'm curious if they are going to incorporate all the best practices that have been sussed out over the years

Yeah, Rogue Legacy really sucked so I'm interested to see how they've improved on it, especially if they expand on the legacy aspect

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

wait, how far back do the steam points go? because if it is only back to the 2020 lunar sale then I am coming to a worrying realization about my purchase habits

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Awesome! posted:

they said its everything after the end of that sale i believe

Oh god

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Danakir posted:

How many points?

Actually I missed a decimal point so it wasn't as bad as I thought

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Supcom 2 is a good comp-stomper for people who get RTS anxiety

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Zomboid is boring as hell, is the problem. They had interesting (in retrospect, pie in the sky) ideas for NPCs but gave up and stripped them all out of the game years ago so the game currently is the same as every other zombie survival game but isometric

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Tezzeract posted:

I played the original Legacy of the Duelist and it was alright? You could fight with the precon decks or build your own.

The game also has a sealed mode where it's difficult to figure out.

Can you play the sealed and draft modes against the AI ?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So this yugioh game is cool but

1) where are tag duels

2) why is the music so trash

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They built bot AI for the skirmish mode RTS sections, shoulda just made it an option to say "Lars you take care of the troops I'm gonna drive around and kill people"

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So I'm guessing the gamepass version of grounded different than the early access?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

obligatory tomb raider deaths mentioned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCe8-1dbXZc

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

ZearothK posted:

The Batcar gameplay wasn't bad by itself, it is just that there were segments where it felt forced into the player.

Honestly, having Boss Fights against the Justice League members sounds like fun. I never realized how much I wanted a game about taking down Superman before now.

MAN, DC universe online, playing as a Villain you'd fight heroes and it was just infuriating. Like the boss fight against Superman you alternate between throwing kryptonite barrels at him and then waling on him, and then you get his health to zero and the game plays a cutscene of superman beating the poo poo out of a bunch of villains and then flies away. OR, LATER ON, there's a fight against the Teen Titans and it's this longass boss fight where you fight the Titans and then imprison them and then break them free so you can imprison them again so a big demon can possess them in a ritual or something and you finally defeat every single one and then Raven just stands up like "You'll never beat us" and they all teleport out. I don't know where I'm going with this but yeah beat up superman

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

More like Battle for SaveScum! Jesus christ!

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I found 2 skeletons holding hands "Why would skeleton hold hands?" you are thinking? But then it hit me: skeletons are inside people

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's bugs the heck out of me that the digital version of Root went with kinda-janky 3D models instead of something 2D

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Is there a way to speed up the action in SD GUNDAM G GENERATION CROSS RAYS ? I feel like a game with a million billion units and characters to upgrade and customize should be fast and snappy, not slow as balls

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Here's a weird one maybe, any games with interesting observer or simulation modes? I am at home involved in increasingly long and boring meetings so sometimes I like to set something to running and see where it's at by the time I've gotten back. So far AoE2 Definitive has been my go-to

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rimworld is a classic, as is Distant Worlds Universe.

Hmm, Rimworld would be interesting but I didn't think the colonists would build stuff without player input? But maybe a prebuilt base would work. Distant Worlds sounds perfect too

Morter posted:

Can you expound on how AoE2 does this? I played AoE2 way back when and have since fallen out with RTSs so I never picked it back up...but I'm in a similar situation where I crave a game that I can watch without significant input, besides an idler/clicker game.

(At least with definitive edition) Just set the Player to an AI when setting up the game. You'll share vision with whoever is in slot 1 and they'll control all the units. You actually can still issue orders as well though the AI will override them if it wants to. The game also include the AI's from the original and the HD edition, so you can fiddle with some themed battle stuff if you're up to it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Mordja posted:

Blazed through Halo 3 in a couple of days. Was it shorter than the first two games? It felt it, at least. Anyway, I'd say the series definitely "ended" on a high note because I liked it fair deal more than its predecessors.

Halo 3 felt very rushed, but it also had a lot less sprawling copy-paste levels and the emphasis on bigass fights made it play a lot better

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I don't know what the gently caress that writer was talking about. I met the Cleric and she was appreciative I'd tried to rescue her, we then met a wizard who was disappointed I wasn't magical but otherwise pleasant. They were both pleased that I charisma checked out of a combat encounter. The githyanki was very demanding and pushy but A) she's a githyanki and B) we were literally all about to die throughout that entire sequence for (plot-wise) time sensitive reasons. I've seen a couple skill checks do odd things (or nothing) but it's mostly what you'd expect from the description. Obviously it's way to early for me to tell if its going to be good or not but the writer seems like a dum-dum. I will say the music is very odd and I don't like it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I mean yeah if some author I liked was selling the first draft of his book and was taking feedback on it I would buy it

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Man, I forgot how quickly Age 3 starts up with the cult, for some reason I remember it being subtler in my head. It's assassin's creed two years before creed was a thing

Anyway I'm not really seeing any bugs or notably bad AI but obviously I'm just going through singleplayer so the latter wouldn't be as noticeable

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I do think the original Doom had a grimness to it that newer titles lack but I couldn't really tell you why

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The Re-installing Supreme Commander 2 Cycle

The first hour: "Huh, why did everyone drag this again?"

Every subsequent hour: "Ah."

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I will say Supreme Commander 2 does have some virtues. It's bright and cheery, it's simple to crank out huge wads of units and watch them smash each other. A lot of my friends have RTS anxiety and they usually do pretty well with SC2 because the low micro threshold lends itself well to comp stomps, the bots can have their cheating level customized, and even the people who like turtling can contribute to the team both defensively by large networks of guns and shields, and offensively through big artillery batteries and forward fire bases or just experimentals and nukes. The research system also lets people get a little more into their role as the Air Force or Navy, etc by letting them focus their upgrades. It's just too overly simplistic to have any longevity especially if you're comparing it to the first game. Also the campaign is offensively bad unless you embrace the villain hamming it up

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I love Age of Empires 3, holy hell though I had no idea the plot was so poorly done. I mean for an RTS it's still like, a C+/B- level work but somehow in the intervening years since it released I had built it up to something much higher in my head and watching it play out now is wild. Like a sneering blood-thirsty obviously evil dude shows up to help you in one level then immediately betrays you in the next one, or one of your assumed enemies saying out-loud to no one "Why is he attacking me? I just want to stop the Cult!" to make sure we the player understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Outlaw is basically modern Privateer