Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

StrixNebulosa posted:

I just asked about this actually in the rec me a game thread:

7 Days To Die is an open-world zombie whacking/base building/exploration/occasional horde rush game that has been in early access for-ev-ar and it's still janky and weird and the game's grognards keep pushing the devs to make it harder and harder but it's definitely zombies and also I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Me, I'm addicted to the crashing sound Diablo 3 makes when it drops a legendary item for me. Such a rush, every time.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I do kinda like taming dinosaurs in ARK once I crank the 'time until tamed' way down. ARK's fine for what it is, I guess. I'd consider $10 to be reasonable, but I'm not the most hardassed of bargain seekers.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

The only acceptable order is 0-K1-K2-3R-4R-5R-6 sorry :colbert:

Also you should definitely consider playing something else as a palate cleanser in between each one unless you are totally immune to game burnout. Absolutely take a break between Kiwami 2 and the remastered 3 - the leap backwards is immense.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Maybe a weird question, but: does What Remains of Edith Finch have multiple endings, or is it always the same one?

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The Dreadful Crimes DLC for Syndicate was a lot of fun, too - you got to play detective and solve crimes, hunting down clues with your eagle vision and stuff. I liked that DLC a lot.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Morter posted:

I'm a brokebrain who doesn't mind/sorta likes zombie games, and I've wanted to play these survivor-y/scavengery games but they're usually all multiplayer.

7 Days to Die is on sale on humble for less than 10bux and it's SP.

Will the combat/scavenging be fun enough to enjoy? Or is it too masochistic?

It's kind of a janky mess, honestly, but I've always enjoyed playing it SP. You can micromanage the difficulty with sliders to create whatever kind of world is fun for you.

Here's the thread for it if you want to read up on it.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Zereth posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/758080/BloodLust_2_Nemesis/
Has anybody tried this? Like, I'm not expecting super polished stuff but it's got good reviews and isn't that much. I know somebody around here reocmmended the previous game, with caevats.

That may have been me - for some reason I kept talking about the drat thing. Anyway! I haven't played 2 yet! I mean, the pictures and videos make it look like a solid iteration built on the base of 1. Still janky and probably poorly written, but it looks nicer and the combat looks smoother.

Ah, hell. I'll pick this up tonight and give it a shot. Report to follow.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Zereth posted:

Awesome, thanks!

Morter posted:

Why am I so broken? Why do I want this game?? :negative:

because it's so endearingly awful

Okay! I have played about an hour and a half of BloodLust 2: Nemesis, long enough to try out the various systems, if only briefly!

Very short answer: game is dumb and bad. Don't pay eight bucks for it. Maybe two bucks.

Longer answer: okay, so, this is one of those adorably crappy games. You know, one of those games where one dude wants to make his dream game so he painstakingly cobbles some poo poo together and it's terrible but he's so proud of it that you really can't hate it. God, it's just so earnest. In this case, he made a jank-rear end ARPG and slathered it with a thick coat of Vampire: the Masquerade paint. That would be BloodLust: Shadowhunter, the first game. Now he's made a sequel. It's exactly the same game. It looks nicer, and combat is a little better, but seriously, same game. Not a good game. Just a game.

I will probably continue to play it - and eye the multiplayer option with horror - but I really can't recommend it unless you are seriously into outsider art as it pertains to videogames.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Can anyone recommend a space game with cool planet discovery lore? Escape Velocity, Stellaris, or Mass Effect would be good examples. Games where you can scan planets and find exotic or spooky stuff like remnants of old civilizations. I'm not really thinking of procedurally generated stuff, more like handwritten lore.

Endless Sky is Escape Velocity, only nicely updated and on Steam, with plenty of planet lore to read. Also, it's free. FREE. I loved Escape Velocity back in the day and this game made me super happy.

You can figure out if it's what you're looking for pretty quickly!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Hollandia posted:

Does Raft work on Mac? Store page looks like that’s a no.

Sadly, no. The early versions on itch.io did, but they stopped supporting the Mac version preeeeetty quickly.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

SirSamVimes posted:

Oh hey Destroy All Humans is out on Steam now, how welld oes that game hold up?

When it was new I thought it was funny for the first couple of hours and then it got really repetitive. I don't know if I'd find it funny any more - it relies on real gross-out humor and cow mutilations and anal probing are both kind of on the eeeeh side of humor.

I don't think it's really worth playing any more.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Re: Yakuza Kiwami: I gotta say, the final boss fight made up for a lot of the game's other flaws. I found it to be an incredible and well-earned rush.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Ciaphas posted:

watching some For the King videos. seems pretty neat?

I enjoyed it, for the most part. Its pacing is very... deliberate - there is no speed above 'trudge', ever - and it definitely wants you to attempt the game, try your best, fall afoul of the RNG, and die over and over again to unlock better items and classes to try and fail with again. If you can stand those two things and you like turn-based RPG combat, it's a pretty good game.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Is there a specific term for games like Papers, Please where you follow a daily routine full of details that gets more and more complex as you go on? I've seen several games that follow that basic gameplay loop now and I don't actually know what they're called.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

GhostDog posted:

People should not sleep on Paradise Killer. What a cool and unique game. I found my truth and executed justice. A lot.

P.S. Spend your blood crystals. Especially on the footbaths, find those as quickly as possible.

Definitely. I literally bought everything that could be bought and took the taxi liberally and I still ended the game with ten or so. Of course, I also picked up every blood crystal in the game.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Lonjon posted:

PC Odin Sphere would be sweet. I bought it for the PS2 way back in the day. The PS2 couldn't handle the game, and some parts of it would grind down to seconds per frame instead of frames per second. It would be nice to play and maybe finish that one.

If we're going to get it for Steam, we're probably going to get Leifthrasir, which was the PS4 remake that changed a lot of the underlying mechanics. Still, though, that would be sweet.

Vanillaware games are always so pretty, but they ran like poo poo during the PS2/Wii era, which is when most people tried to play them. Muramasa on the Wii was a nightmare.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Hollandia posted:

Actually, how is Raft? That kind of construction / exploration loop sounds like it would really hook me in.

It is a really well-crafted simple gameplay loop. I enjoyed the game a lot even before the expansions got put in - I could lose hours just trotting around my absurd raft picking up all the floating junk and occasionally smacking a shark on the nose.

Spend a few minutes dragging in junk, build a thing, put down more raft, put the thing on it, get thing started, drag in more junk. The little islands provide a nice and lucrative break from the loop, too.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

The 7th Guest posted:

Wattam (Dec 18)

Everybody should at least investigate Wattam because it is a super sweet feel-good game by Keita Takahashi, aka the Katamari Damacy guy!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
So, uh, Ark II! Starring Vin Diesel and a whole bunch of cheap-rear end strawberry-jello blood goo!

The gently caress. Didn't the first Ark just come out of early access like a year ago? And there was that Pixark thing? I mean, I like Ark well enough - for all that it's a jank-rear end mess you can tame and ride dinosaurs and that's good times - but that trailer is kinda dire.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

I can sit in my farm chairs! It's the end times!!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Max Wilco posted:

I'm having some difficulty trying to decide what to get. Are there any deals right now that anybody would recommend? One of the games I was looking at was Fable Anniversary. I never played the original, and it sounds like Fable: Lost Chapters has compatibility issues.

I ended up liking Fable Anniversary a lot, almost despite its best efforts. The original Fable overpromised SO HARD - it wanted to be SO COOL and SO IN-DEPTH and have SUCH A COMPLEX DEVELOPING WORLD and what's left is a little stump with a lot of broken-off nubs that used to be entire skill trees. At the same time, the things it tried and failed to do have since been developed and expanded upon by other games, so it feels like the fumbling precursor to a lot of western RPGs.

That being said, it's fun! And dumb! I liked being able to run around and show off my hunt trophies to people and have them go ooh and aaah and then laugh and call me 'chicken chaser' when my back is turned. It's not going to surprise you in any way, but it's a good and colorful time.

I didn't have any issues running the Lost Chapters, so I can't speak to that. They were also fun and dumb.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Rebel Blob posted:

Speaking of the Yakuza series, is there any reason to put off playing 7 until after 6? I'm pretty much PC-only, Y6 is a few months away and I'm thinking of starting Y7 soon.

If I ever get to the end of AC: Odyssey, which is obnoxiously long.

I think you'd be okay to do that. Y7 definitely comes after Y6, and there are some familiar faces doing familiar things in it, but I'm pretty sure there's only one plot beat that actually makes a difference - one character's current status and job class, as it were - and you'll probably end up just going 'huh okay I guess this is what you're doing now' when it hits. As long as you're generally familiar with the game world, you're good to go.

e.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I almost done with the game?

The game is 15 chapters long. If you stick to just doing plot and the occasional sidestory, I think you have... 10 hours? 15 hours? left. I guess it depends on how hard you find the various fights between then and now.

Picayune fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 8, 2021

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Kennel posted:

IMO that should be a victory pose in some JRPG.

I'm pretty sure Orcs Must Die uses that exact move as a victory pose. Not a jRPG, but close enough.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I guess, all in all, I'm not sorry I played The Sinking City? The combat was dogshit and there was way too much of it - and the diving-suit segments were their own little slice of hell - but I did like having a big ol' gross-rear end city to run and boat around in and the plot was... reasonably okay. I guess.

If that doesn't sound like a hearty recommendation, that would be because it isn't. Obviously wait until this lawsuit bullshit is settled before buying the game, and even then, I'd recommend not paying more than about ten bucks for it.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Jumping a number of pages back, but the thing that ended up bothering me about Immortals Fenyx Rising was the timing-based precision 3D platforming parts. I wasn't expecting that going in, which sucked, because I do not like that kind of thing in my open-world beat-em-ups. (Because I am terrible at it.)

That being said, it's not something that you have to do to win the game. It's just a frustrating camera-wrangling laser-pain sideline.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

sad question posted:

Since Sherlock Holmes: Devil's Daughter goes on a deep sale quite often I finally decided to try it despite poor reviews. I'd say that the main criticism - over-reliance on mini games - is true but the game lets you skip them pretty much immediately with no consequence (other than missing out on some cheevos). I was even fine with them until the extended sequence where Holmes goes on a lovely Tomb Raider adventure IN HIS IMAGINATION and cliche trap puzzles get really bad.

On another hand good things from Crime and Punishment are still here - investigations, deductions, using chemistry set and archives (actual good uses of mini games), interviewing suspects etc. You still can accuse the wrong person and decide whether to go harsh or easy on them. Cases are pretty decent although the second one (which sadly is also saddled with the worst sequence) goes too heavy on red herrings and I think it might not actually make loving sense if you think about it. Still, if you liked the previous game I would recommend this one on discount. The worst thing about it is easily solvable (just skip poo poo that tries your patience) and it's pretty good outside of that. Half assed fake exorcism scene is pretty brilliant. :lol: at that overdesigned Sherlock outfit though, fortunately you can just choose to wear a normal suit.

Now I'm worried since I am tempted by the Testament of Sherlock Holmes since this game has a plot continuation from that. But it looks like it's from the more awkward era of Frogwares Sherlock games...

Testament is suuuuuuuper awkward. If you can struggle past the lurching gameplay, though, the plot and puzzles are pretty good! :v:

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Omi no Kami posted:

Star Ocean 4

Oh my god what no. Do not do this. You owe it to yourself to not do this. I am so glad you have stopped doing this. Never do this again.

None of the Star Ocean games are great - they mostly hover somewhere around 'reasonably neat gameplay ideas with stupid plots' - but 4 is a disaster trash fire. When 5 came out Squeenix actually came right out and promised people that they had learned their lesson from 4. (They had, sort of. 5 is slightly better. Slightly.)

Should anyone care about this benighted series: 2 is probably the best and it's still not just great. 1 is basically a proof of concept with no depth, 3 suffers from really dumb gameplay decisions and one of the stupidest plot twists I have ever, ever seen, and 5 is the blandest possible porridge populated by characters who struggle to achieve one-dimensionality. Pretty, though.

I have played them all. I liked most of them despite their flaws. Except 4.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

lordfrikk posted:

Not a reply to anyone in particular but normal enemies in Dark Souls 2 respawn 15 times.

This is actually what got me into playing Dark Souls. I'd watched someone else play DeS and DS1 but my own attempts didn't last long because I was, frankly, not good enough. When I found out that respawns were limited instead of infinite in DS2, I decided to absolutely cheese the game: kill the first two or three dudes after a campfire, run back and heal, repeat until they stopped spawning, then move on to the next two or three, etc. etc.

It was very cheesy and slow as mud, but I also didn't have to do it for more than about... three or four campfires before I figured out what I was doing, developed a chop or two, and all in all got comfortable enough with Dark Souls'ing to stop using that crutch. I won both DS2 and DS3.

Admittedly my playstyle was still extremely cheese-flavored.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Opinions on Immortals: Fenyx Rising? It's 20bux in the EGS sale right now.
I've heard it's basically a clone of BotW but on PC and non-switch consoles, which sounds interesting enough to me! But how well-done is it?

I did end up enjoying the game, for the most part. Do note that it goes pretty heavily into precision platforming territory. I'm a cranky old fart and I don't like having to do chains of split-second button presses, so that kind of honked me off.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Most of what I remember about Dark Souls 3 is me and two phantoms rolling in circles around all the bosses, pausing only to line up and stab the bosses in the butt for a few seconds. When they turned to face us, we'd roll around behind them and stab them in the butt again.

The rest of what I remember is all the times that didn't work.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
The WB games were of... varying quality, but they had that cinematic style to them and they were on point when it came to spicing up combat with perfectly timed slo-mo and zooms and nasty sound effects. Mad Max often made me wince at the screen because agh ow drat that looks like it huuuurt.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I watched a video of someone playing Luck Be A Landlord and ended up buying it and playing it all night. It's in Early Access but it's being actively worked on, updating every month on a clearly-visible timer.

quote:

Luck be a Landlord is a roguelike deckbuilder about using a slot machine to earn rent money and defeat capitalism.

It's a very simple yet catchy pixel-based slot machine game. You have to win enough money on your slot machine to pay your ever-increasing rent every five days, but you are building and developing the slot machine at the same time, trying to add symbols that play off each other or develop into coin-spawning combos. It is pretty heavily luck-based; the Communists will secretly send you trinkets that help you manage your symbol loadout, but not enough of them. Never enough.

It's ten dollars right now, but there's a free demo!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I watched someone else play Prey before I played it myself and decided that the hacking minigame looked annoying, so when I played, I deliberately bought no hacking and never hacked anything. I kept thinking I'd have to buy it eventually, but I never did - pretty much everything that 'required' hacking could be solved either with nerf darts or by turning into a coffee cup.

Or I guess by finding the relevant password in the world, if you just gotta.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

CLARPUS posted:

So I beat those then I started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, which holy poo poo is a lot meatier of a game than any of those above. It's really cool climbing on the head of a cyclops and whacking it with my sword while my AI buddies throw fireballs and arrows from the ground. I got back to my house in the city today with power and internet on so I'm ready to go all in on this game now that I can utilize the online part of the pawn system fully. Any early game tips for this one? I don't see it discussed in the thread much. I try to keep my inventory slim so that I can have fast run speed, but sometimes I wonder if I should be using and collecting more items than I am? This game won me over after a few times of exploring off the beaten path and being rewarded with a cool piece of gear.

My general feeling on Dragma is that you should prioritize getting to Gran Soren on your first time through. While it certainly isn't going to hurt anything to wander and explore and all that, you get access to the higher-tier classes once you're in the big city, which are fun and helpful. Don't worry about min-maxing your stats.

Once you've got access to the big city, though, pitch the plot over your shoulder and explore the world until you're satisfied. Gran Soren pretty much has everything you need and the plot will wait.

If you're anything like me, though, you missed some basic quests that only existed in Cassardis when you were just starting out and hadn't gone anywhere yet. Don't worry about those either. You can do them on a New Game + if you want to.

Otherwise: carry a stack of healing items and a stack of stamina items and you're pretty much good to go. There's a Dragon's Dogma thread in the Games forum somewhere that can tell you more.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Just gonna note for anybody who might care about this: Monster Hunter Rise is definitely a super good and flashy Monster Hunter game, a lot of fun to play, but it also involves a mandatory tower defense minigame. It's probably a pretty good minigame if you like that sort of gameplay, but tower defense has never been my thing and I did not enjoy playing those parts. I wish I'd known about it going in, which is why I'm posting now.

If you just wanna do the plot and see all the basic monsters, you only have to do the tower defense stuff... two or three times? Maybe four? However, if you want to unlock all the hidden monsters, the tower defense game is heavily weighted to provide you the large amount of exp you need. You'll either have to grind forever or merely grind a lot of tower defense.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Like many people, I was lured to Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars by the puckish grin of Yoko Taro. I... think I've finished the game now - the internet says ten hours and I spent about eighteen - and I enjoyed it, so I wanted to mention it again.

Basically what you have here is a basic-rear end SNES-era JRPG with a pretty ordinary turn-based combat system...

... but instead of playing it on a console attached to a television, you are sitting at a table somewhere while a very calm gamesmaster narrates the action and lays out cards to represent the world and everything in it, and occasionally puts a little wooden table on top of the cards to resolve combats using other cards, a little box of crystals, and a small handful of dice. If a character is supposed to do something or have an emotion, the gamesmaster waggles the character card around in a generally appropriate manner. It's all very much like a Kickstarter project come to life, a tabletop-gaming version of a JRPG for people who want to play together in person...

... but of course you are actually playing the game on your computer or on a different console with a pre-recorded narrator and virtual cards, so I guess it's turtles all the way down.

Yoko Taro's sense of fun is smoothly present in the writing - things are very silly until poo poo eventually goes to gently caress - but the game doesn't feel like a pure Yoko Taro experience. I have absolutely no idea how much he actually had to do with the game's development, but to me it kind of feels like he was asked to come put his touch on the plot after the game was already in development.

Game is fun, straightforward, and pretty easy, right up until it isn't. It's a chill fifteen- to twenty-hour experience and it's pretty for a deck of cards. If you don't like turn-based JRPGs, though, you probably won't like this one.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Because I have a big ol' soft spot in my heart for the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes games, and I also love the Ace Attorney games, I took a flyer on this new deduction-based Hercule Poirot game. Deductions! Solving cases! Arrogant little Belgian mustaches! What's not to like?

Well, a lot, actually. I have now finished it - it was very short - and wow do not waste your time on this one. The basic plot outline was reasonable but they did not do a good job with actually implementing it - or with anything else. I can write up a longer review if anybody thinks they might care, but basically the game needed a much better writer, a better logician, and - especially - a better editor.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Master_Odin posted:

I'd dig a longer review if you're up for it. Christie was one of my favorite authors and Poirot one of my favorite detectives, so I was kind of excited to see they had made one, and saddened to hear it's not very good.

Like are the puzzles too easy, or too obtuse?

Lemme see if I can put my thoughts about the Hercule Poirot game in some kind of order here!

Okay, how about this: the game is charmless and perfunctory.

The basic plot outline is reasonably good and does feel more or less Christie-like, I'll give it that. When it came time to flesh that outline out and actually create characters and write dialogue, the developers did the absolute least amount of work possible. Poirot... could have been worse, I guess - he was recognizably Poirot and a lot of weirdness could be papered over by making him be at the very start of his career, pre-Styles - but all the other characters were basically cardboard.

I ended up turning the voice acting off immediately. It actually wasn't all that bad, but a lot of the dialogue came in paragraph-long chunks and I did not have the patience to sit through an actor working his way down the page. This may have been a mistake - it made the few cutscenes incredibly dull - but I don't regret it.

The gameplay involves walking slowly around and looking at everything that has a 'look at me' symbol over it, then talking to everybody and making your way down a list of questions, then looking at more things, then talking to people again, until finally you run out of things to look at and talk about. Also really basic stuff. You did get to 'break through' people's defenses by saying the right things to get through to them, which was a fun idea in theory, but in practice it was, again, kinda perfunctory.

You then go to Poirot's little 'mind maps', where you connect bits of information and clues together to, in theory, piece together what happened. They really dropped the ball here in a number of ways. A lot of the deductions just straight up did not make any sense - often the two clues did not seem to have anything to do with one another and Poirot's explanations were usually cheap nonsense. I ended up making most of my deductions by looking for places on the mind map where a nice, clean line with lots of room for new deductions would fit.

I didn't really feel like I was solving the puzzles because of that. When the puzzles actually made sense, though, the difficulty level was about right - not too easy but not terribly hard either.

Also (I realize that this bothers me more than it bothers most people) the English grammar was absolutely atrocious. I thought it was a poor translation and localization at first, but the developers are Scottish! It had been run through a spellchecker, at least, but there were homonym issues, doubled words, missing apostrophes, and so on. Nearly every run-on sentence was a comma splice. Waaaay too many ellipses. Because that's what I associate with Agatha Christie: terrible, poorly-written English. UGH.

(I went and looked at screenshots from their other games. Yep, same terrible grammar.)

It wasn't ugly or anything. Just dull and senseless. They really needed more of everything - more dialogue, more character building, more links on the deduction screen, more fine-tuning of their word choices, MORE EDITING. As it stands, the game was over in five hours and there was just nothing to it.

I really like Agatha Christie's works and I'm so sad that this game stinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

AngryBooch posted:

There was an old SRPG I played on Playstation 1 in the 90s called Brigandine that I remember being quite compelling at the time. Apparently, they made a sequel to it in recent years and now it's coming to Steam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSoBgnUOceo

A very nice surprise to discover today.

Both the Brigandine games are solid tactical RPGs, if you like moving monsters and characters around a hex grid! The games aren't life-changing or anything but they're good solid fun (and also very pretty). The new one is a love letter to the original and I liked it very much.

Essentially, you play as the ruler of a small country, with a small group of loyal followers. Your job is to march out along the roads and take over all the other cities and strongholds, bringing more and more of the continent under your control and defending your territory from reprisals, until you have defeated all the other monarchs. Every leader has their own unique strengths and weaknesses and their own story.

Every person in the game leads a troop of monsters. You can assign one guy to lead a troop of three or four fast-moving magical imps and one guy to lead all the flying griffins and so forth. When you get into a fight, it's basically three or four people plus their monster troops. And if one of the other monarchs is there, then you prepare to eat a lot of poo poo because OW.

In between fights you run around recruiting other characters, looking for treasure, dealing with plot shenanigans, and so on.