Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

anyone trying to stream hyper demon is just outputting walls of pixelated noise lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

This sounds like a fun subject.

What's the worst physical discomfort/pain any of you have experienced from a pc game and what game was it?

While playing Astro Bot Rescue Mission in PSVR I moved my head at the same time the game camera moved on its own in another direction, which produced a visceral recoil in me, and since I was sitting in a swivel chair that made my body move in a different direction from my head and the camera, triggering instant vertigo, forcing me to rip the headset off and lie down for 2 hours

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just finished Scorn. It can gently caress off with that ending.

lmao i am in the middle of act 4 and absolutely loathing everything about the combat, i was kinda slogging through it with the hope that there would be some interesting stuff to look at besides these reject half-life starter enemies but if that's the payoff

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

yeah i think my main gripe with it is that for all that the trailer tried to hint that this would be some unholy exploration into body and cosmic horror, where I'm at the skeletal design of a janky fps is so completely obvious that it's detracting from everything else, like how much am I really contemplating the terror of the unknown when this unknown place just happens to use keycards with escalating levels of security access lol

the other thing is that this game is so in love with its animations that it also is detracting from everything, like sure for the creepy and weird setpieces linger on it. but when it's just a friggin ammo station and I've already done this a dozen times, waiting for 10 seconds to restock is just painful, the mystique is gone (I thought I was exaggerating when I mentioned to people that it took ten seconds but no, when i recorded it, it was that long)

edit: OH and the MONSTER CLOSETS. At first I thought it was kinda refreshing this game didn't lean on jump scares or anything. But after the fifth monster closet I think I would have rather had jump scares

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I know it's been asked before, but what are some other good games like Vampire Survivors?

according to Jeff Gerstmann, Hentai Survivors

(note: not really)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Soo.... a fleshsphere? Fleshcube?

speaking of which, gently caress scorn

every time i get reset behind this checkpoint that means i have to spend 2 minutes walking to to the ammo station, watching my ammo refill, reloading all my rounds individually, and healing all over again
they are so in love with their loving animations
dipshit design

easily the worst game i've played this year, everyone keeps saying the final chapter is where all the stuff happens but goddamn what a pile in front of that i guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

i'm in the final area... i guess?

if I was supposed to feel awe or terror or alienation from seeing those vistas or whatever i don't, i only feel an obligation to get through this last part. I have been completely disconnected from anything and just see the game's broken design philosophy and ripping off art it's seen from other places. giger of course. that puzzle's a witness puzzle. that alien looking thing is from i have no mouth and i must scream. 90 percent of the enemies you have to wade through are lovely headcrabs. the melee execution animation you have to sit through is just a doom glory kill except it takes longer and there's no reward, just time melting away. like it angers me that i know i'm near the end primarily because i've collected most of the keycards lmao. cosmic horror but you collect keycards

this might inspire me to actually go back and finish elden ring, a game i know is good and a game that i can actually appreciate its setting because it's executed in a meaningful way

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 17, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have completed Scorn. (Though I had to confirm this since it just sends you back to the main menu without even any credits lol).

I guess the last bit was neat when it got back to just pushing you through the environment and stuff happening to you. Everything in the last area before that got on my nerves like everything else (and maybe this didn't bother other people but when you are at that part where they introduce that violent jerking head-bob because "oh poo poo things are getting real man" it threatened to trigger my vertigo so i did that part looking away from the screen.) the boss fight was incredibly dumb lmao,
not just the combat but the triple abortions, that part seemed tryhardedgy

I honestly would have just enjoyed a clean 2 or 3 hour experience exploring an alien world where i could actually focus on the environment. I guess they needed to justify a 40 dollar product but everything "gamey" about it felt so bad. The combat was not just unfun to engage with but it took away from actually getting into any semblance of existential dread or horror, like for most of the game i was constantly tracking ammo and health. The puzzle stuff might have worked better but they probably should have leaned more on things involving actually interacting with the environment (to again, pay off all the effort they put into that environment) instead of so many sliding tile/mechanical puzzles.

Feels like a wasted opportunity. The worst game I've played this year, which I guess sounds bad but it's mainly because if I don't think I would like a game I don't even start it so they got me on the hook at least

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

OzFactor posted:

As a person with no desire to play Scorn but a lover of terrible endings, can I ask someone to spoil the terrible ending?

The actual ending part is basically OK but the leadup to that was some real stupid poo poo. Also it's one of those things where some of it kinda works in the game but trying to describe it makes it sound worse

So basically the game ends up being thatgamecompany's Journey but edgy and grim and dark and bloody. On your journey to the end place you get attacked by some creepy parasite beast that starts taking over your body (this is represented by repeatedly watching an animation of the parasite tearing your guts and you lose a chunk of health every 20 minutes of progress). In the end place (which actually does look alien and cool) to power the final machine you have to liquify a bunch of fetus things to power these automatons with glowing jewel uteruses. However, to get the fetuses out of their containers you have to put them in these mech suits and then you have to fight the mech suit? You have to do this for two of the fetuses, the boss battle is boring as gently caress lol

Anyway after you liquify the fetuses and inject them into the automatons, you also use a surgery machine to rip the parasite monster off your back. You then strap yourself into a different machine which removes the top of your skull and connects your brain to a hive mind looking thing. You then control the automatons to carry your body to the end portal. However, before you cross the portal threshold the parasite beast comes back, fucks up the automaton, and reattaches to you, completing the merging process and the game ends with you as a blob of helpless flesh just outside the portal door

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean sure, it really is the stupid boss fight and the 1.5 hours fighting headcrabs before it that really brings everything down

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I never finished the Void but I remember it being very moody and slow.

You do not shoot any headcrabs with existenz bone guns

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

I was curious about the ending since people were saying it's bad (and I was never gonna play it anyway because I'm a baby) so I went found a half hour longplay episode of the "boss fight" + ending. At one point I was just watching a guy walk up to an interactive object, which couldn't be interacted with because he didn't have a free hand. So he walked over to a thing on the wall that freed up the hand, walked back over to the thing he couldn't interact with before, interacted with it, had his hand get covered in gunk again immediately, walk to the next thing through a door, fail to interact with it because of the gunked up hand, walk back to the thing that rips the gunk off the hand, walk back to the next thing to interact with, all the while I'm hitting the "forward 5 seconds" button Youtube because it was taking too long. Then I realized I was watching the whole slow-rear end progression of things at 1.5x speed. :psyduck:

I like walking simulators and I don't think I'd have the patience for that game.

I didn't find that part to be too annoying honestly. I didn't think too much about why there was specifically a machine to deglove your hand right there which actually turns out to be useful to progress because of your specific condition lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I remember listening to that repeatedly because i took so long during character creation lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Squiggle posted:

Windows 11 is fine, but my experience has been a gain of absolutely nothing. With that said.... that bell will toll for us all at some point.

10 has been the best iteration of Windows and I'm using an Enterprise license anyway, so I'm stubbornly hanging on until 2025 and hoping the feature updates before then bring 11 up to par.

My roommate is dealing with a new Windows 11 laptop defaulting to "S Mode" which treats it as a locked down tablet, he had to make a microsoft store account just so he could disable it lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ill wait until the FF7 mod comes out before playing RE4R

https://twitter.com/Yic17Studio/status/1571215584465158144

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

It's gonna be schlooter garbage just all the other similar garbage.

If you paint that new batman game's UI red and squint a little then it'll look exactly like this poo poo.

seeing this screen instantly killed any anticipation i had for this game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah all the streamers who started this evening are giving up and getting it on ps5 because they're having issues even with 3090s

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

If anyone is looking for another dope rhythm game with a top-tier electronic soundtrack, Spin Rhythm XD doesn't get nearly enough love. You can actually play it using a DJ controller, like the Pioneer DDJ series, as a midi controller. If you ever get the chance, this is the way to do it, on a big rear end screen

Holy poo poo this looks rad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What about Kenshi

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I legitimately didn't know how much ram a gaming pc should have and 32gb sounded right

edit: I only have 16...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

which was the one with the normandy beach map and the train one