Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm playing it. I think it's an interesting evolution of the last one in that it's got the same skill system from that game but now explicitly tells you "there are challenge modes from moment one that you have to learn to play better in, no grind will save you" and the puzzle pieces are an interesting way to gently caress with build or specialize for stages?

The gameplay seems the same to me except much more in the vein of a mechanics puzzle because of the Trial stages and that is the kind of thing I wish more games did. I loving love them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nah. It sounds like it was linked to the launch of the TV show by all accounts.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Foils are definitely still around but I very much wonder if they've adjusted something about them/if some people hoarding them or failing to sell them is adjusting the rate of new ones down. I see a lot less than I once did and I get a few boosters a week.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Orv posted:

I think LotF got a lot more poo poo than it deserved when it came out as basically the first Souls clone out of the gate but now that others have come out and are actually good it's not worth playing.

But it should be noted that unlike some devs (see, the Souls team themselves), every single time those dudes gently caress up, they learn in the next release. Go look at LOTF vs The Surge 1 sometime and realize "oh poo poo, wow"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved the GBC version, how does it compare to the NES one? I understand there were some pretty big differences.

The GBC version is terrible. Smaller screen real estate and it fucks with balance by doing something with the elemental swords that I don't recall the specifics of but it makes certain areas a real pain in the rear end.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Xaris posted:

Sacred 1 and 2 were neat, mostly in part because they had some real crazy classes to play, a kind of insanity not seen in any others. a weird flawed euro-janky game though. i wouldn't replay them today though, too many good games. shame Ascaron never really succeeded and lol sacred 3

I mean, the real shame is that the ex-devs trying to do the spiritual successor folded when one of their key programmers died. That was a long depressing rabbit hole to chase one night.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Serephina posted:

Booze? I don't recall assassinating drunkards to be a thing in that game, jog my memory?

You can drug the booze in orc camps and it KOs them, making for easier kills.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

err posted:

Which two games should I remove from Humble Choice? They all look decent.

Skip Turok easily, the other is a personal taste thing but I dumped My Friend Pedro because I've heard it's quite repetitive.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Cardiovorax posted:

Revelations 2 is a pretty good game and getting the whole thing for a tenner is a solid deal.

I will second this: if you get this bundle, don't sleep on RE: Revelations 2. It is very clearly a step between RE6's weird issues and RE7's mix of grim horror and black comedy, and it has a lot of really cool reactivity between the two stories (one character is coming in after the other, so if you set off traps to make things easier for the first, now you have to disarm as the second, or branching paths you might close off per, or...)

Also the Burton family owns and this is the most Burton by volume in the series.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
As someone who just 100%ed Shadow recently (literally the week of the final update patch, in fact, they had to bugfix a treasure for me to do so), I'll definitely say it's the weakest of the three, but it's not garbage? It's just got three incredibly bad ideas bundled into it.

a) gently caress that village so hard. It's big, it is weirdly unoptimized (swimming back to it from a side dungeon at one point it actually made the game pop up a "NOW LOADING" message over my screen), and about 60% of the game takes place in or directly around it, which leads into...
b) "We went to all the trouble of making a cool mix and match set of gear for bonuses and dress-up and we're locking you into a region where you must wear one of 3 outfits all game long. And one of those three is DLC. And if you ever visit this area we're going to auto-equip one of those three over whatever you had on."
c) Combat, especially if you like to be a stealthy hunter, is better than ever. The tombs are better than ever. The game has decided to balance these by going about 30/70 on them and the massive weight of the tombs (not counting the fresh DLC stuff that's all designed around one concept apiece and makes a tiny mini-campaign, which rule) mean that you miss combat more and the tombs become very, very repetitive by endgame if you're not spacing them out with... nothing, there's nothing else.

If you dug the last two, I'd say it's worth it, especially cheap (and ESPECIALLY with the DLC, which owns), but holy poo poo it is no contest which entry in the new stuff is the weakest now that this exists. However, just like the last two games, when it goes all in on combat for a little while, it does kick rear end (looking at you oil rig sequence)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
So they did.

As a NG+ feature in the "complete" edition final patch.

And it didn't even fire properly for my post-game save.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Awesome! posted:

so one step from eden is included in humble choice this month but its a drm free copy? is there any way to see all the possible options without buying it? im only seeing previous months. i havent really looked at this since it changed over from the old monthly system.

Downloading it it's listed as "exclusive demo". It's not the full game.

It says a lot about how good Humble is at publicity that this apparently got added 3/4 and nobody noticed or began talking it up until the game itself released.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's also not a straight port. It's confirmed to be some tier of remake, new VA for the whole thing, and the staff being cagey about if it's gonna be "just" Nier again.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Artelier posted:

VR is dope too. BEAT SABRE FOR LIFE

I got to try Rez VR for the first time today and Area X was loving astounding. Did not know I'd have access to a headset but Beat Saber's gonna be a thing I buy before the next go-around.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Johnny Truant posted:

Bought that bundle cause :eyepop:

What's everyone's must play in it?

Lego Batman 3 is gonna be slept on by so many people but especially if you have the controllers for local co-op it's good goofy fun with the entire DCU at your fingertips. It rules.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I was pretty pessimistic after how back the Secret of Mana remake was, but the demo has me really excited for [Trials of Mana]. I love SD3, and this feels like a great modern update of it.

The combat is great, though. It moves so much faster than the original, no more stopping every few seconds to watch the animation for a spell or special move. They totally redid the leveling system, which is nice because the old one was a super boring stat point assignment thing. It really feels like a modern take on the same material rather than a straight-up rehash, it's really nice to see Squenix putting more effort into their back catalogue.

The thing that has me incredibly curious about the scope of this remake is that apparently there is now a) a NG+ and b) there is a tier 4 of classes in NG+, which implies that maybe they rescaled the bonus boss content/are giving you a reason to do a run with the characters you didn't before for more gameplay.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Gotcha. I was basing that off this recent incredibly poorly phrased tweet, in that case:

https://twitter.com/ManaGame/status/1246785021563846656

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Nah. 6 protagonist choices who formerly had 2 tiers of light/dark class change choices. Now it's three.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Oh, ohhhhh, I see what you're saying. No, far as I know the old tree is all in there and I hadn't run the math in my head. You're right. Maybe T4 is just binary, gently caress you? They are not doing the best messaging on this.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, I've definitely never seen the email before, that must be a setting turned on somewhere. I only get out-of-client messages about anything I wishlist before release.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Neat feature I just discovered in the store: if you tell it to ignore something getting the front page banner treatment it'll restore the shop to standard appearances. Didn't expect that.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Gromit posted:

I don't know why I like them, as they are almost all universally dire when it comes to the story (I'm either a lady detective or a magical princess).

If you want to see some which are extremely buckwild, I was gifted some of these for Christmas this year and it turns out that somewhere in the middle of helping assassin cats fight off wolves who literally bring winter at their heels I was just spending every few minutes going "WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I'm in the middle of Y0 right now myself and add me to the "god the cabaret club sucks" crew. I may be a bit of an outlier because I'm... 76 hours in and only at chapter 11 due to going ham on all the goals and side games in Kiryu's half of the story. My biggest beef with the cabaret stuff versus the real estate (which I've already 100%ed) is that the cabaret is full attention at all times, especially in the club combats, but I can start the real estate collection and then go do other poo poo. Minigame multitasking. Cabaret brings my gameplay to a screeching halt 5-10 minutes at a time depending on how much prep and training I do before each run of the club.

Again, though, this may be an OCD thing because I'm gaining on 80% done and the biggest remaining things for me right now are cabaret goals, fishing, and teaching myself to play mahjong/shogi.

No Wave posted:

I liked Y0's plot. I still can't remember why Kiryu was framed though

At least where I'm at, dunno if this changes: It's a move by one of the other lieutenants to cause the disgrace and downfall of Kiryu's mentor so a captain's position can open up for them.

\/\/ edit: you are not wrong and that real estate battle was infuriating

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 29, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Oxxidation posted:

maybe tokyo xanadu? it's FALCOM's take on the persona series but i've heard mixed impressions

there's also the caligula effect, which is basically the above but with a society based around a messianic hatsune miku (???) and even more mixed impressions

I can speak to the former being pretty good and having action-combat dungeons, and if I ever end up finishing a game I start Caligula Effect is next on the list but I've heard it's good if unpolished.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

StrixNebulosa posted:

Caligula Effect: not owned, on wishlist, no more highschools please

But none of these are SMT or Raidou, they're more Persona or off doing weird other-genre things.

So re: Persona and Caligula Effect. One of the main writers on the game was the guy who did Persona... 1 and 2. And the game's plot can be taken as a critique of what that franchise became when he left as you realize it's "people exiling themselves in a simulated high school eternally fleeing the harsher aspects of reality for a regressive fantasy".

Which is part of why it's next on my list.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

StrixNebulosa posted:

Stop that, that sounds insanely cool and I had just decided to wait a few days, see what the steam sale is like.

Nearly half off on Humble for their Golden Week sale right now if you can't wait.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
re: Yakuza 0 - holy poo poo that scene to round out chapter 11

nishitani owns, what a boss, and what a game for making me feel for him and his point man both out of nowhere

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

shoc77 posted:

On another note, is Steam library sluggish for anyone? It's literally a slideshow when I try to scroll through my list of owned games it sucks. :(

Yes. It's a complete random nightmare if it'll work for you 'fine' or not. The more games you have, the worse your odds are.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It had a way rockier launch due to some microtransaction-based balancing that was later patched out, but the damage was done for a lot of folks and the spell was broken on a game that didn't do a lot of work to improvement on its predecessor.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Kennel posted:

Pretty evil to put GK games there in a reverse order.

(Unlike most of Sierra's adventure games they are legit good)

FWIW that new King's Quest is good as well, so that's another plus for top tier-ing it.

Would also recommend Quest for Glory if you've never tried 'em, they hold up better than you'd think

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is Harvest Moon: Light of Hope Special Edition any good?

short answer: no

longer answer: anything currently under the name "Harvest Moon" in this era is made by a western dev trying to capitalize on the trademark they used to localize the old games which has nothing to do with the real farm-sim dev team and tends to involve contractors who get kept around for two games tops and then canned for the next one to try shoveling poo poo out under the brand. (If you want the actual people who made those old games, seek Story of Seasons. I know the last one of those came to Steam.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm looking at Dragon Quest Builders 2 but the multiplayer sounds pretty limited? Anyone try?

Based on the PS4 one, and I don't see it changing - once you finish the first... two? three? islands you can replace the AI companion with another player, over the internet only. No local co-op. It's not stellar.

edit \/\/: yeah, the game is great, but as a play with a partner title, nuh-uh

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 6, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah, you wouldn't be building "together" unless you both focus all your time and energy on one person's space. And I think it would leave P2 behind on experience if they weren't doing anything in their own world.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Washin Tong posted:

So I decided to give Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut from the Humble Choice a shot, thinking it'd be some generic stiff dungeon crawler RPG (I bounced off both Grimrocks super hard) and it's... actually great?

I look forward to seeing your take on it if you keep going, because a dude just did a post-along of their playthrough in the RPG thread and by endgame they were going "I am not letting this poorly designed piece of poo poo beat me".

Protips without spoilers: keep track of where you sell any gear that isn't a common item, you might need it for like... specific boss fights. That's not a joke.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

anilEhilated posted:

Any chance you could link this?

Do you know how loving much the fact that we live in hell and time is accelerating has been made clear to me now? I went to go find this and realized it was back in November.

Also the dude who is playing BT4 should not click that because over the course of these posts he straight up goes into the post-game optional dungeon and talks a lot about endgame.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Washin Tong posted:

I'm taking END ME SCOOB's advice and not spoiling myself, but I have to ask, was the dude playing Director's Cut or Barrows Deep (the original)?

He called out it was Director's Cut a few times, because at least one post was going "how much worse was this game before their bugfixes"

I can't speak to the veracity of it because I've been going more JRPG than dungeon crawler lately, but there was a reason I legit asked the dude playing through and enjoying it "Hey, so, tell me how this goes for you" when that was the only record of interaction with the game I'd seen.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Lord Lambeth posted:

I don't know if we'll ever get another deus ex at this point

We totally will, but keep in mind that studio has been making the very cursed Avengers game, so let's see if they survive long enough to make it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

DrNutt posted:

I thought Crystal Dynamics (nu Tomb Raider studio) was making that?

It is entirely possible I mixed it up, I knew they got moved to another franchise after Mankind Divided.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Y'all I am about to make your loving day

https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1260642470318108674
https://twitter.com/GrahamB47/status/1260644479620362240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU