Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Beat Ori over the weekend, and it was loads of fun. Whoever designed an entire escape around using the difficult to control burrow ability that you get to restart on any minor fuckup can eat my entire rear end, though. Took me like 30 attempts to get through that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Pretty sure the bag goes to the moki just inside one of the wellspring doors who wants to be an adventurer.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

From what I remember of my brief attempt to play Enderal, it’s Elder Scrolls with terrible sound mixing and VO and every enemy is a damage sponge while you’re a piece of damp toilet paper.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

explosivo posted:

The Windows 10 local files thing is definitely lovely but you don't have to interact with the Microsoft Store at all to use PC gamepass. Xbox has a separate app where you can download games that works very well.

If your xbox and windows accounts are separate microsoft accounts, the xbox app will frequently switch itself to your windows account and forget you have game pass until you switch your windows store account over to the same one as xbox, which windows will then reset at some random point in the future starting the cycle over again. It’s really drat annoying, and last I checked MS provides no options for merging accounts.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

So, regarding Hades, I played for a bit, got to the first boss and died and dropped the game due to it being the most meh thing I've played in a good while. Does it get seriously more interesting after that point or is it probably just not the game for me?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Thanks for the replies, all. I'd died a couple times before that and unlocked some additional weapons and tried them out. Hated using the bow with a gamepad, the other - a big sword maybe? - didn't feel especially fun either. The whole series of tiny rooms with no real connection to each other and an arbitrary number of respawning enemies just didn't grab me. Maybe if the rooms get bigger and more interesting later it could be worth giving another shot at some point. Otherwise I'll probably just leave it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Squadrons was not included in EA Play, Origin or not.

It seems to be included with the EA Play Pro tier through Origin, at least on PC.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

explosivo posted:

Trying to use a full blown hotas for this game feels like 1000% overkill and would probably make the game actively worse to play.

It feels good with a stick for me, and I find myself missing my separate throttle, just because I'm constantly changing speed and keeping my left hand on my stick's built in throttle is a bit uncomfortable. The extra buttons it provides would be nice, but not really necessary.

Edit: Also, I wouldn't say it feels VR-first (think that was brought up in this thread). There's some stuff that's in there that seems like it's there to show off VR, like when you first get in the X-Wing cockpit in story mode, but the missions so far are fun (minus some bugs), and the combat feels good and it has the complexities of the old TIE fighter energy management system plus some new stuff on top. The main thing I dislike about it at the moment is that it's a bit too easy to hit targets due to the bullet magnetism.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 2, 2020

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Orv posted:

If you're using a HOTAS which has 40+ buttons in the first place you almost certainly do not need them for ease of access because those are all gonna be on the throttle body or weird flip switches or whatever.

Depends on the order they decided to number the buttons, unless you use a remapper tool. It's entirely possible some of the good ones are past 40.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

You can click the circled 'i' in the game details view to get the same feature list it shows on the store page.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Might check if you have it globally disabled in your steam settings in the Cloud section, though it shouldn't be by default.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Obra Dinn seems like a really interesting game, but each time I’ve tried to play it, the art style has triggered massive headaches for me, no matter what graphics options I tried.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm curious what similar issues other people have had with particular games actually. As far as I'm aware I don't have any problems with my eyesight right now, but EU4 is the only game I've ever played that gave me eyestrain bad enough that I had to stop playing.

For myself, the only other things I have trouble with is VR, which can make me feel ill for hours, and stuff with strobing lights that give me very bad nausea and sometimes headaches. I get the same feeling with those that I do when I drive through a long tunnel with regularly spaced lights.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Yeah, minus the headaches it gives me, it actually does look much better in motion than you'd probably think from the still shots.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I'm having a really weird problem with Doom 2016-- the game has decide to cap the framerate at 60fps out of nowhere for absolutely no reason. I have a 144hz monitor, and no combination of borderless/full screen and vsync settings are letting me actually get a high frame rate out of the game. I was getting a high refresh rate the last time I played this game as far as I know, and I don't know if it took an update that's changed something or what, but this is frustrating.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, changed down to High from Ultra, installed the latest drivers from Nvidia and nothing, ugh. I don't even see an option in the game settings to dictate a refresh rate. Anybody else see this? Googling gets a lot of old posts across various boards with people going "ARE YOU SURE YOUR MONITOR IS SET TO THE RIGHT REFRESH RATE" and that's unhelpful.

It's not my pc as I'm seeing a high refresh rate in Shadow Warrior 2, :shrug:

OKAY SO STARTING THE MISSION OVER ON A DIFFERENT GAME FILE HAS FIXED IT, BACK TO 200 FPS

What the gently caress, id.

That sounds like maybe there's some hidden setting that got saved in the other file or something? Could try this setting in the nvidia control panel to override it maybe:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I don't get the praise for HZD. To me, it just felt like any other open world game packed with way too much repetitive poo poo to pad out the play time.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Steam's screenshot uploader is occasionally preventing my computer from shutting down. I have steam overlay disabled, unchecked the option to run the uploader after closing a game and haven't been taking any screenshots so not sure why or how it's begun doing this. Any idea what the deal is here?

If you're going by what the shutdown screen says, I think it may just choosing the name of one of the windows that steam can open. For instance, mine's been saying "Server Browser" lately, which is a thing I never open, though it goes away after 5-10 seconds. It may just be the steam process itself doing something completely unrelated to screenshots. I think it may be doing cloud save stuff, since they're apparently hosted behind a 28.8 modem somewhere.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Control is an OUTSTANDING game.

Maybe if it had like 95% less combat. I really wanted to like it due to the exploration and setting, but the constant fighting was just too much of a slog after the first few hours.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Has anyone here played Helium Rain? It's a sci-fi economy sim with realistic physics, and the idea of a smaller, focused X3-esque game intrigues me.

I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it, and it sounded interesting, but the deadlocked shipyard stuff mentioned in this review seems particularly problematic for an X-style game to me: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963404506/recommended/681330/

chglcu
May 17, 2007

shoc77 posted:

Is Tetris Effect worth getting at USD9 after applying the 10 dollar epic coupon?

I'm not sure if it is ever coming to steam. How does it compare playing on a regular ol' monitor compared to VR as I don't have a VR set and won't be getting one for the foreseeable future.

In my experience, without VR the blocks can be kind of hard to distinguish from the backgrounds. I don’t remember having that problem when I tried it on PS VR a couple years ago.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

The story and its twists are probably the biggest draw of DQ11, so I can understand you there. Compare to Dragon Quest nine, which had a complex class system and procedurally generated sharable dungeons, I felt it was a bit of a step backwards in terms of gameplay.

The story really is pretty strong, though, for what it's worth. Only read this spoiler if you want to hear about a cool thing that happens which might give you reason to reconsider: MAJOR STORY SPOILER the game pulls a full-on FF6 somewhere in the middle

By the time the spoilered bit happened, I was completely sick of the game and dropped it about an hour later I think. If that was just the middle, then probably the right decision. Definitely couldn't make it through another 40 hours of that. Pretty sure JRPGs just aren't for me anymore, though I loved them as a kid.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

This looks exactly like what I want, thanks!

I loved those terrible buggy UFO series of games, since they were basically a real-time Xcom and you could slow them down to 1/4 speed for when the game got really hard.

No idea if this is something that’s been fixed since, but back around the time the Tower of Time came out, I was really enjoying it, but then my save got stuck in the slow mode, even outside battles. Had no other saves to go back to so ended up dropping it rather than replaying the previous hours. So I’d suggest maybe rotating multiple save files with that game if you do end up playing it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

I have this and I can’t live without it at this point.

I have one of these somewhere and I wanted to like it, but A) the thumbstick is uncomfortable pointy, and B) My baby hands can't comfortably reach the top row with my thumb on it. It looks like the FFXIV might be better in both those regards.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Gromit posted:

A friend of mine has weird hands, hurt through playing many years of indoor cricket, and he customises his mice by reshaping them with stuff like Sugru. You could use that to soften the thumbstick if you cared enough.

That would probably help with the stick, but enough of the buttons are too far of a reach that it’s probably not worth it for me in particular. It’s been a while, but as I recall, even getting my fingers to the intended WASD position was an uncomfortable stretch.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

I know its not exactly a hot take but...Ori and the Will of the Wisps is loving mint isn't it? I thought the first Ori game was good but I didn't quite click with the gameplay at all, but the sequel is a complete joy to play.

I preferred the first one for some reason I can’t explain, but yeah this one’s great too. Except for the sand worm escape. Had to replay that sequence like 30 times before I made it through.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

haldolium posted:

is there any secret here?

I have an HDR ready monitor, but not really since it's just "FRC" so 8bit essentially and everything HDR was just always horribly washed out incoherrent colors that would not become anything remotely pretty no matter the settings. I then tried using my OLED TV which already kills my eyes with its intensity sometimes, but the HDR result was almost the same with games (last tried with Hitman 3).

I could never get a satisfying HDR picture on either one device. It reminded me a bit of trying to understand linear vs. gamma in working with 3D but there it all made a lot more sense and worked out in the end. Im completely out of the loop nowadays and HDR in games just doesn't make sense to me at all as long as I don't have calibration hardware at hand.

I've almost never been able to get decent HDR on PC, even connected to the same TV as my consoles where HDR just works. At this point, when I care about HDR, I'll get it for a console, even though they pretty much just collect dust otherwise.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

There’s Bard’s Tale IV, but I haven’t tried it yet. The current reviews are better than I remember them being on release, so maybe it’s decent?

I was actually really enjoying Labyrinth of Refrain back around when it came out, but ran into a 100% crash on completing a quest and couldn’t advance, so dropped it rather than replay all those hours.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Welp, I just went from being excited learning there’s going to be a new Dark Alliance game to being completely uninterested in about 30 seconds.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

This bit is what’s putting me off giving Astrox Imperium a try:

quote:

You can only control one fleet, and cannot have multiple fleets at once. Your mercenary fleet will always stick with you, and cannot be left behind in a remote sector when active. They will warp with you, and dock with you.

That’s just cutting out too much of what I’d want coming from the X series.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

Ah then I will just ignore all of that I think.

You also need to be human to kindle bonfires, which increases the number of flasks you get when resting at them.

Having stored humanity (number in upper left) also increases your odds of item drops, up to some limit - 10, I think. Don’t have to reverse hollowing for that aspect though.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I play all Souls games offline. Not so much because of invasions (though I do hate that bullshit), but more because I hate seeing messages from other players. Other people ruin everything.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh I feel this. They can be immersion breaking and a huge part of why Dark Souls is so good is that atmosphere.

Yeah, it's mostly this, but I also really dislike how they spoil surprises just by showing up, even without actually reading them.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The dark souls games feel like they're really designed around other players' messages "spoiling" surprises though.
There's so many secret doors with no indication or hidden enemy ambushes right around a corner that seem like they're basically designed for other players to point them out with soapstone messages.

Yeah, I agree it's part of the game's design, but it's a part I dislike it enough to just deal with the annoyances of having it off. If I get really stuck for long enough I'll break down and look very specific things up on the internet, but otherwise I just accept that I might miss some stuff and do the best I can alone. I also haven't actually finished any of the games yet, so I can't say the approach actually works. That's mostly due to me having trouble remaining interested in long games these days, though.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

a couple folks in the bloodborne thread have played through it on psnow so it's evidently doable, but that version doesn't have the DLC.

PS Now seems to be very YMMV. I've heard of people who have it working flawlessly, but my experience has always been horrible stuttering, input lag and video compression artifacts, even on a wired gigabit cable connection with a fairly beefy PC. No idea why it's never worked well for me.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I haven't played the full release yet, but Wildermyth is very good. I got it in EA and had a lot of fun before setting it aside for the full release. Very much looking forward to starting it up again.

This was in my wishlist for some reason, so I got an email about it coming out of EA, though I don’t remember it at all. Description sounded really cool so I bought it, maybe I’ll get around to actually playing it sometime in the next few years.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

What self-respecting PC gamer doesn’t have a 4TB SSD these days.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Is this a joke or are these actually affordable now

I have an SSD but it's way smaller

It was a joke, but I don't remember spending as much on mine as they're asking for these days. I probably did and forgot about it, though.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Play posted:

Only thing on my SSD are Windows and a few resource intensive programs that are not video games. It hasn't been a problem at all, just somewhat slower loading screens on certain games but nothing crazy. I suppose eventually there will be a lot of games where the actual performance is heavily affected and that basically require SSDs so I'll probably get a larger one eventually

The SSD does help with things like pop in on games that stream stuff from disk during gameplay. I got sick of the balancing act of managing what's on the SSD vs HDD, and I'm not so great with my money so splurged on the big one. Definitely wouldn't consider it a necessity yet, but it is nice to not have to care what's where.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Quill posted:

It's not the worst thing ever. For a Dragon Age sequel it's mighty close, though. Some people like it and I can see why. Most end up shaking their heads, wondering where all that supposed creative talent and energy disappeared.

It was the worst thing ever, then DA:I happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

How’s the writing in BG3 anyway? I couldn’t stand the tonal jumps and childish bullshit in the DOS games. Is it good or is it Larian?