Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Zeinin posted:

Is there a GTFO thread?

Yeah, it's here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alternative: Anthem

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tried to grab A Good Snowman is Hard to Build but looks like that was taken already as well. Ah well, thanks for handing out games regardless.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Such a lovely job?

This made me laugh and I want you to know I appreciated it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

From now on whenever someone asks why I have forty tabs open I will insist they’re soaking and I’ll take care of them in a bit.

Suddenly and uncomfortably aware I am better at cleaning up my tabs than my dishes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Samuringa posted:

The infinity eggs from MvCI are still my favorite.

Do they vibrate, at least?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sivek posted:

I just got to the part of the Messenger when the game format switches and gently caress this wasn't a good idea. You had an extremely tightly paced Ninja Gaiden-lite and now I've spent the last 30 minutes just wandering around trying to figure out where to go. The game was flowing really well and I was thinking there's no way this format switch could be the momentum killer I seen it described as but here I am.

:rip: level-based games in general

Not every action games needs to be a metrodivania or open world or filled with a boring hub. Sometimes just beating a level and then going to the next one is perfectly fine.

Yeah this was pretty much my experience with The Messenger as well. Got to the switch/swerve and just lost any and all drive to keep going.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah, it's the kind of genre I admire skill in but I don't have the patience for myself. Celeste being in the itch bundle is the best of all possible worlds because I'm not feeling like I need to refund it now, and instead I can truthfully say that since you're getting the bundle (everyone should get the bundle) you should try Celeste, it's pretty and if you like the challenge you'll love it.

Have you tried the accessibility options to make the game easier on yourself?
If turning those on eliminates the point of the game entirely for you then I can understand that but seconding the comments upthread that Celeste is a beautiful game with a wonderful ending that is worth pushing through to see. Either way, I'm glad you got to try it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Sleeping Dogs has a set of DLC missions that are basically a giant love letter to Enter the Dragon and it owns, completely and utterly, now and forever.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

EA's trailed dropped for Star Wars: Squadrons and their site went live. Trailer was just cinematic stuff, full gameplay reveal coming at EA Play Live on June 18 4pm PDT

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squadrons/overview

Launching on PC, PS4, Xbox One. Multiplayer focused 5v5 first person dogfights. Sounds like there are bigger fleet battle events to participate in as well, as well as a single player campaign.
VR support on both PC and PS4 with cross-play between at least those two systems, doesn't say anything about Xbox One specifically.

This looks like a modern X-wing vs. TIE Fighter and I'm cautiously optimistic, and the only criticism I have so far is I haven't seen a B-wing anywhere in the trailer or on the website.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Please don't blame me.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

hulk hooligan posted:

Crusader Kings II: same thing, is the Dynasty Starter Pack enough to get started with, or do I need to get more of the DLC?

The content in the Dynasty Starter pack will give you more than enough to get started with (it includes Way of Life which for a newcomer to CK2 I feel is probably the only mandatory DLC as it fleshes out a chunk of the game).
The CK2 thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874093 has a pretty good overview of what each DLC pack adds, if there's anything that jumps out at you/sounds great you might as well grab it now while the sale is on but you absolutely don't need any of it to enjoy the game.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

explosivo posted:

Mordhau seems cool but I'm real bad at it and have already run into my fair share of assholes calling me, a level 2, a noob. I'm still under 2 hours, not sure if I'm going to hang onto it yet. I don't really see myself getting any better at this if everyone's already god-tier and I don't stand a chance in any encounter.

Edit: Eh, yeah refunded. I want to dig this but just see myself getting frustrated enough to quit before I can git gud enough to not die instantly.

Let me reassure you as someone who sunk over 150 hours into it but can no longer stomach the idea of ever going back to it that you've made a good call, because all you'll get out of getting good enough to hold your own is frustrated at the dev's glacial update pace, inability to balance poo poo, astonishingly loving awful map design and pandering to the lovely toxic fuckwits that comprise a good 75% of their playerbase.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm playing gujian 3 and I love these chonky npcs that you come across. This guy sells steamed buns

Been consuming too much of his own product

A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The best way to play Dying Light is co-op with some friends with very little regard for trigger discipline or the concept of friendly fire with explosive weapons, and to ignore the story because Crane is a loving unlikeable shithead and the ending is super loving dumb.

Also one of my friends seemed to have her brain short out every time she used the grappling hook which would lead to amazing moments of:

*Friend A and I rappel down an empty elevator shaft with our grappling hooks, cool action hero movie style, then wait and look around confused*
Us: Friend B, you coming?
Friend B: Yeah, coming now sorry an- ah, poo poo.
*Friend B's body slams into the ground next to us like a Wile E. Coyote stunt double, having completely failed to hook anything*

I remember great moments like that one, or hearing a child sobbing in a building and me, who is a horror pansy, complaining about how there was guaranteed to be a goddamn child zombie sobbing that was going to scream at me when I got near it and lo and behold that is exactly what happened all the while my friends ragged on me for my frantic yelps of terror as I got extremely badly jump-scared.

Gaming with friends is wonderful.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's the death animation from Hades!

I always read it more as him disintegrating into the waters of the river Acheron rather than shower of out and out gore, although it appears to be a river of blood so uh, probably just semantics at that point.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Blood does seem like an impractical choice for the discerning evil wizard. If only there was another way.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

For what it's worth, developer's response that's both Steam and in the comments of that video:

doekuramori posted:

Hi, this is doekuramori. I'm the creator of The Citadel. Thank you for playing and your feedback on the game. I will try in the future to make games with more variety and the feedback in mind. However there is one thing that is absolutely wrong. I am not guro artist. This is not a guro fetish game. Lately there have been many comments accusing me of being a nasty person and attacking me. This isn't true. I am not guro artist, I don't make guro works or doujin. My interests are Touhou, Lost in Abyss and biomechanism. I also very like dark themes and games that have dark themes and oppressive feeling. I hope you can see it now. Not guro. I am interested in biomechanism, like how people will merge with machines in the future. And what kind of conception that will make, like Ghost In The Shell meets H.R. Giger. It's strange aesthetic and I think creates interesting image. But it's not guro. The Citadel features gibbing and violence because I identified that as a big part of the aesthetic of classic retro shooter. Ultra violence. Because I draw anime style, I interpret that through the way I draw. It is not "fetish". It is inspired by those old games, and also newer games which are influence by that old style, like Shadow Warrior 2. I was quite interested by the gibbing and gore system in Shadow Warrior because it's like how old brutality meets new technology that allows use of physics with gib system. Again, not because it is sexual. I am proud of what I achieve with The Citadel game, even if it is not perfect, but now I receive many comments and mean messages after watching video from people accusing me of being a dangerous freak who only wants to hurt girls. It's not my intention. Please understand.

The internet being what it is, apparently he's been receiving large amounts of targeted harassment off the back of that video.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Grim. I don't have a horse in this race either way I just figured it was worth posting the dev's response given the discussion centering on the video.

I don't know enough about guro to know what the trademark elements are but suffice it to say I'm completely willing to take your word for it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

My personal ranking of the mainline Myst games for the five people who care is Riven > 4 > Myst > 3 > 5, although 5 is the only real clunker in the series. And 3 has that legitimately amazing performance by Brad Dourif.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODENHv80NY

Riven is far and away the best though, so everyone should play that one.

Where would you slot Uru in there, out of curiosity?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh it's going to be quicker than that.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

It's been wonderful to follow along with and I definitely want to jump in and back the kickstarted book at the end of it all.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

He announced his retirement a few times before it stuck. If I recall correctly his company got hacked as part of Gamergate poo poo and got him doxxed which was one of the driving forces that got him to quit the second/third time? That poo poo sucks and not even Phil Fish deserved it.

Also, separate to that, he liked throwing stupid hot takes out on twitter but had extremely thin skin about getting any sort of pushback or backlash to his stupid hot takes.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Australia's classification board didn't have an R18+ classification for video games until 2013. Prior to that any game that exceeded an MA15+ rating was refused classification and banned.
We've got an R18+ rating now, but the classification guidelines are extremely pedantic - from memory, any sort of positive benefit for drug taking will get you refused classification but also prescription drugs don't count as drugs for the purpose of that guideline, they're governed by different guidelines elsewhere.

Getting any of this poo poo reviewed requires unanimous agreement between the ministers responsible for classification in every state and territory in Australia, and the political willpower to get that done is pretty much zero. We've had a conservative government since 2013 and they barely support the Australian games industry (or any arts, really) as it is.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

I want to live in a world where Velma performs a fatality on me iykwim

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Soul Glo doesn't want Velma to give them a big death, just a little one.

lol nice