Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I bought Dying Light and the season pass for Christmas and had a blast. I just started The Following DLC and man am I disappointed. Way bigger map but oh look - you have to drive around in it with a vehicle that slows down a ton when you hit zombies and then they can hit you, and if the tough ones show up they jump on the car and kill you unless you can shake them off, which never happens as you're too slow for that to work after hitting them.
I also didn't realise that my grappling hook being usable more then 3 times in a row was a thing that was activated for a Christmas event, and not like that all the time. This blows - grappling around the map like spiderman was actually fun and made me feel like a badass.

So while this DLC is more zombie killing, it's worse than the first game due to an unfun car you have to get around in. I'm hoping that as you improve it (or maybe get a better one later?) it becomes a Mad Max battle-wagon that eats roadkill without slowing down, but I'll be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Cardiovorax posted:

You can mod that out of the game very easily, just check the Dying Light nexus. I hate the stupidly easily breakable hookshot too and god rid of it as soon as I could.

Yeah, thanks - I did look around for mods but nexus wants me to register in order to download a 25k file. Something about that annoys me, but that's just me being a baby.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

D1E posted:

I have a free STEAM Key for Dirt Rally 2.0. First person to quote this post will receive the key via PM.

Thanks!

Thanks, if it's still available!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

D1E posted:

Just PM'd you. Thanks!

Got it, and the DLC. Fantastic, thanks!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gobbeldygook posted:

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes: Great game, but requires complete focus and neither of us knows Morse code.

For Morse code, I recommend using a decoding tree like this one. When you hear a dot move left and down, and dashes move you to the right. So dot dash dash dash is J, dash dot dash is K, for example. Much quicker to decode if you don't actually know it by heart (and pretty much no-one does, statistically).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

zedprime posted:

An intrepid player would find they can rewrite the defusal manual entirely in a way people can read it. Most of the schtick is its intentionally obtuse.

No doubt, but if that one part of it is making you not play the entire game, this helps you over that hurdle.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Nordick posted:

I just played Generation Zero with my cousin for several hours, and gently caress I love this beautiful mess of a game.

This is another fun-looking game my friends and I would love, but doesn't support 6 players so we will never buy it :(

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

So the two people in this thread who disagree do not exist?

Yes, that's the point they were trying to make. If you counted all the people with an opinion on the oiling system, the percentage that shared that view was essentially zero.
I've not played the Witcher 3, so I assume the oiling system gives stat boosts to penetration and reductions in chafe rolls.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

About ten people gave opinions, two of which liked manual oils. In what world is that "essentially zero" percent?

Considering they specifically mentioned the popularity of a particular mod, I thought it was evident they were talking about a wider audience. But you know, whatever - I've never even played the game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

tripwood posted:

I dunno, I am a huge SS2 fan and it ticked off a lot of good boxes for me.

*Survival in a spaceship where the enemies outclass you and you have low ammo
*Good monster AI that encourages stealth, they are far from dumb and react quickly
*Superb audio that encourages you to listen to the enemies patrolling around
*If you start to panic and run around screaming, you're probably going to die

The audio in System Shock 2 was amazing, and is probably the thing that makes me love the game the most. The processing they did on Shodan's voice was just perfect.

I started playing Kentucky Route Zero and am up to Act 3 or something. Sometimes it feels like an adventure game and other times like some sort of visual novel. I don't really know if I'm just stumbling through it by luck or actually making the right choices. It's in that weird zone where I don't know if I can recommend it to someone or not.
But it's a good one to stream to my TV so that helps.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Objective Action posted:

I had some extra keys laying around anyway and, since I had a couple of these last Humble games already, I figured some peeps here might want em (quality varies wildly)!

Town of Lig?t Y?DK5-CT5KK-6JAQQ

Thank you!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

aas Bandit posted:

I might have missed it previously in the thread, but a new gameplay teaser for Atomic Heart came out a couple of days ago. I've been looking forward to this for quite a while...kinda makes me think "Stalker on acid".

There's also a 10 minute gameplay vid from a little over a year ago, if you want a longer look.

Steam still doesn't have an actual release date, but I'm hopeful that the new teaser means it's not too far away.

Thanks for the update news - this game is so my jam that it hurts. It ticks just about all my gameplay boxes, what with the Soviet-era scifi aesthetic and off-the-wall surrealism, as well as that slower-paced methodical exploration. Having the character mutter "blyat" under his breath is just icing on the cake.

There's obviously a lot of content, but I wish they'd post update news a bit more regularly so we can be a bit more confident that it will actually release beyond a tech demo. I also loved the look and feel of that "Routine" game from a few years ago and it just disappeared into nothing.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 8, 2020

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Orv posted:

The most absurd part is somehow the ashtray.

Surely their target audience would have a recharging vape stand instead?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

kiffkin posted:

Bought Bundlestars' Cryptic Bundle 9 because I love me some hidden object jank, had half of it already so have some - possibly UK only - keys:

En*less Fables 3: *ark Moor
Los* Grimoires 3: *he Forgo**en Well
*ueen's *uest 4: Sacred Truce

No-one must like HOGs much, as I got a few of these. Thanks mate!
I hope I don't miss a lot of complex story by not having the previous episodes. What if I don't know the detailed backstory of the beautiful woman who discovers she is from a long line of witches and has to save her handsome husband from an equally-pretty enchantress?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dying Light: World's stupidest main plot, but the sidequests are really fun and often funny, mixed with the best parkour in video games. The idea of night getting really drat dangerous is a great one, and I like leveling up as I run around. That said combat feels really weak and awkward (even leveled up), and as zombies get more skills and types it becomes less fun to navigate. Whatever. I'll put more hours into it and have fun.

I've got 67 hours in this and enjoyed it a lot. But a couple of things:

1. When I started playing I didn't realise it was the Christmas event, which gave you infinite grappling hook and much reduced fall damage. When they eventually turned that off it took me ages to get used to the way the game was supposed to work. In the end I installed a grapple mod that let me spiderman my way around the maps again, and all is right with the world. https://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/265

2. Once I finished the main quest I performed a bunch of item dupes in order to max out my skills so I could maximise my feeling of being a zombie killing machine (you can find rare items that you trade in for a lot of XP - dupe up a few thousand of those and you're good to go). I'd completed almost all the quests so it made sense to just max everything out and get back to killing. I followed this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtnawhd2_20

It's a bit fiddly the first few times but you get the hang of it pretty quickly.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

OzFactor posted:

So, Anthem is $9 on the Humble Store. I know it's not great and my understanding is that it's very over-mmo-ized, but $9 to me is the level of "can it be fun for 10 hours?" I just want to fly around and shoot things. I really enjoy ME3 multiplayer and Destiny 2, would I find it fun at all or is it just a total dud?

The flying is wonderful, to be honest. I got it for free with my graphics card and enjoyed it for what it was, but yeah it's not a great game. I think you'd easily get $9 worth of fun out of it, even just by doing all the solo stuff. The loot is dull for the most part, but I had fun just zipping around and trying to hit all the watery bits to cool the suit and keep flying.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Sininu posted:

I miss the Splosion Man table :(

This is the only reason I still have FX2 installed, not that I've run it up in literally years. That table should have been dire and annoying, but I inexplicable found it to be a lot of fun.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel like such a housewife, buying this kind of game. But gently caress it, parrot-themed cards!

e:

I'm the same with Hidden Object Games. I don't know why I like them, as they are almost all universally dire when it comes to the story (I'm either a lady detective or a magical princess). Every time I have to solve a bead-rolling puzzle in order to open a door I wonder what the hell the people who live there do when they come home a little drunk. It's bad enough fishing your keys out of a pocket when you're three sheets to the wind.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

anilEhilated posted:

I had fun with 3 but the rocket wingsuit DLC is mandatory.

Yeah, that's a fair call for Just Cause 3. Team up the rocket wingsuit with the EdenSpark weapon and you just cruise around flattening things at a whim, which turns out to be a lot of fun. I enjoyed JC 2 and 3, and am playing number 4 now which really feels like a step backwards. Lots of extra mechanics that get in the way of fun (but can be mostly ignored at least). There's now no reason to blow up all the chaos objects, ffs!
Grappling around in the wingsuit and parachute is still fun, though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have a UT2k4 server going, I have a BC2 server going I can scale up to having players again.What games with dedicated servers that'll play on anything should I look into running based on what's available on Steam?

I play Killing Floor 2 regularly with friends, but I've no idea if the Steam player base is enough to warrant running your own server.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mad Max is fine as long as you:

1) Beeline main story for the Harpoon before you do any side content.
2) Don even think about 100%ing it (particularly avoid the scrap points in the map, can't remember the name but they're worthless).
3) Just stop playing when you're not having fun anymore.

For me it was:

1) Beeline main story for the Harpoon before you do any side content.
2) 100% it because it's fun the entire time.
3) Hope you don't know they are pronouncing "Dinky Di" wrong the entire game, because that's infuriating.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

pentyne posted:

What about the glitch or whatever, something that made it impossible to get 100%?

Looking at my achievements I have all of them relating to finding and destroying stuff except the one for Scavenging Locations, so perhaps that one is broken? Should I have written "100% as best you can"?
Anyway, 53 hours in it according to Steam so that's not bad value.

However, I really enjoy games that let you cruise around the map at speed looking for stuff. Assassins Creed got tiring for me because map traversal was so slow. Dying Light had the grappling hook and you could Spiderman your way around at a decent rate of knots.

And for Subnautica, it was all about the Prawn grappling. Swinging from tunnel ceilings, boosting off little outcroppings. Whee!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

DrNutt posted:

Also I know it was loving stupid monkey cheese poo poo but I still loved hearing Jennifer Hale's "I'm gonna KILL YOUR DICK" line and having the protagonist be like "wait what? Kill my dick? What does that even mean?"

Bulletstorm had great quotes all over it. That monologue in the lift ride about two hetero guys just snuggling it out or something was magic. And the whole game was an excuse for some wild set pieces - runaway mining equipment, robotic dinosaurs, walking down skyscrapers.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Blattdorf posted:

The rather underwhelming Serious Sam 4 trailer included a release date: August 2020. All the trailers and everything are plastered all over Steam's frontpage. Man, I hope SS4 will be a return to form.

I just hope that their new engine supports weird gravity and portals so we can get back to some of the wilder map effects that we lost along the way.

DrNutt posted:

That Gary Jules cover is shite and the original song is perfect, Tears for Fears owns, thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Coincidentally, I recently watched one of those "how it came about" videos on Mad World and the Tears for Fears guys both said that the Gary Jules cover was amazing and truer to the lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCLnwIkkps

Comes up at 4:40.
I like them both for different reasons, personally.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Zedd posted:

I know this is the steam thread but it's also P much the PC gaming thread in general so...

The last week or 2 every time I exit a game that uses uPlay it fucks up my windows/program sizes and location. This is the mess I encountered after Closing Anno 1800, but AC: Syndicate does it as well.

Any ideas how to prevent it, or how can I save what I'd like the layout/size/positions to be in windows and restore that?

I think DisplayFusion lets you save icon and window positions to restore them, amongst a ton of other things more suited to multi-monitor set-ups. However, while it can be bought on Steam, I think it goes on sale more on their own website.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I’m doing a contest with a game most of you likely already own: Dungeons of Dredmor. Giving out two prizes, and you can win both:

A)Post your best Dungeons of Dredmor score this week (this is going to involve the honor system l)
and
B)Give the funniest backstory for their character class choices (this will be super subjective)

Both will get their games 5/29.

I put over 630 hours in this game, but haven't touched it since 2013. Not sure if I want to get back into it again, but anyone giving away games deserves at least a bump.
Unless this is a ruse to give away copies of Bad Rats.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I’m doing a contest with a game most of you likely already own: Dungeons of Dredmor. Giving out two prizes, and you can win both:

A)Post your best Dungeons of Dredmor score this week (this is going to involve the honor system l)
and
B)Give the funniest backstory for their character class choices (this will be super subjective)

You got me to reinstall after not playing for many years and this was my pitiful first attempt.

I was handling everything fine until I found a portal to another dimension and 2 evil clones one-shotted me. They lured me in with weak enemies and the excitement of the mystery lever.

My skills were Wand Lore, Fleshsmithing, Artful Dodger, Burglary, Perception, Rogue Scientist, and Archaeology.
As a poor orphan, Wendy grew up stealing from the rich folk and using her free time to put rat golems together out of the bits the other children wouldn't eat. Her keen eyesight allowed her to watch a movie marathon through the window of someone's house and the Indiana Jones series got her interested in archaeology. She entered the Dungeons of Dredmor as either a massive fortune to pay for therapy or death were the only options to wipe out the memory of The Crystal Skull.

e: hahaha, same thing happened again with a score of 8532. I really overestimate my skills here.

\/ I will take this sage knowledge seriously from now on!

Gromit fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 25, 2020

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

and

Improved my last attempt, but I think I'm done. Still a fun game that's only a few hundred meg to install, but you really need to read up on what everything does online to get the most out of it.
On the plus side, I killed 4 of those evil clones that one-shotted me before. I mean, I didn't stand around to get smacked so I don't know if I had better defence, but I ruined their poo poo with wands and magic.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

It’s different but I have really enjoyed it so far. It’s more exploration based than shooting which is not everyone’s cup of tea.

That sounds great to me. I mean, I enjoyed the fights in the previous game but exploring just seems more "right" in this game.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm almost finished with my Dungeons of Dredmor run, still in the middle of floor 12 though. Even with No Time to Grind and skipping a lot of content it has been pretty tedious.

Well poo poo, I don't think I can be bothered to compete against that because that's a lot of time to go that deep.
I just played another round and couldn't remember what happened when you put a lutefisk cube inside another lutefisk cube. Turns out you explode.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gromit looks likely to take the crown for “best character backstory”, I’ll pester him on Steam tomorrow for the same thing provided he still wins.

Because they are an absolute legend, I was gifted Prey as a reward for playing a fun rogue-like that ate over 600 hours of my life. Back in the day, that is - not just for this competition!

Thanks Ugly - I've heard really good things about Prey.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

A friend bought a bunch of us the starting ship in Star Citizen many years ago, back when it was all new and hyped and all you could do was look at your ship in the hangar. Since then every 6 months or so another friend suggests we give it a shot as "there's actually game stuff you can do in it now!"

We spend ages updating the install, and then have to fumble our way through a giant FPS map to find our ships, get in one and fly to the the surface and then get bored and go back to playing something fun. It blows my mind how this scam didn't just end with Chris Roberts and his buddies skipping the country and retiring.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

MO: Astray is ticking all the boxes I hoped it would. Fun platforming, interesting puzzles, intense boss fights, and an intriguing story.

My only complaint so far is that ...

My only complaint is that it crashes immediately before it even starts when I hit PLAY in Steam :(

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Antigravitas posted:

Listen to this person, because they are right.

Prey should have been called Psychoshock. It's an 0451 game through and through.

I played the game in a dimly lit room with headphones on and I don't regret a thing. I haven't felt such a sense of dread since The Talos Principle (in a game, I mean. I've felt lots of dread since irl).

I just started playing it a few days ago and it's weird to play a game and look at furniture and think "does that look right? I'd better give that pot-plant a good wrenching just to make sure".

I do love those grenades that eat everything around and spit out resources except when I was standing just a bit too close one time. I mean, that goes for all grenades really, but those seem particularly unpleasant.

Should I be using all my resources for anything in particular? I can make weapon upgrade mods, and that seems like a great idea but I don't want to use up all the bits if there's something better to craft.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

SirSamVimes posted:

Play MO: Astray.

Hollandia gifted this to me but it crashes immediately when I try to start it. The game said it needed 5.5GB to install, and properties of the install folder say it takes up that much. However, it lists it being 553MB when I go to download and the time it takes to download makes that pretty much right.
Are there sparse files or something that it populates when you actually run it for the first time, or is this an issue I should look into? It gives me a crash log but it's hard to know what is useful information in that.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

sebmojo posted:

try restarting steam if you're using it, I was getting that message for a game last night and it changed when I restarted.

SirSamVimes posted:

Have you tried verifying the file integrity?

Thanks for the suggestions but neither helped get MO:Astray working. The crash report mentions my graphics card in a memory dump, and the crypt.dll in a log, which presumably is part of the unpack and DRM process when you run the game for the first time. I'll see if Google has any ideas, or maybe a full reboot. I'll update my Nvidia drivers, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Det_no posted:

Do you use any custom Nvidia control panel options? Sharpening in particular is very prone to making certain games crash on launch. Anisotropic Filter can do it too but that's extremely rare.

I have G-Sync monitors so I have V-sync turned on in the control panel, but that's it.

If anyone has the game installed, do you have just 2 items in your Steam install directory? I have MOAstray.exe and a MOAstray_Data folder (with loads of stuff in it). Is that how it is supposed to look?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Gromit posted:

Thanks for the suggestions but neither helped get MO:Astray working. The crash report mentions my graphics card in a memory dump, and the crypt.dll in a log, which presumably is part of the unpack and DRM process when you run the game for the first time. I'll see if Google has any ideas, or maybe a full reboot. I'll update my Nvidia drivers, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Just in case anyone else gets a window with "Oops! The game crashed" written on it, I needed to uninstall the Citrix Workspaces application and now it works fine (and another game that exhibited exactly the same behaviour). Very weird, but thank you web person Domdor on a Blizzard forum from September last year who solved it for me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

v1ld posted:

While that does work there's a Steam thread with a more specific suggestion that lets me keep using Citrix for work while playing games it clashes with: disable the Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator device.

Windows + X, select "Device Manager", open the "System devices" list, right click "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" and select "Disable device." Like so:

I've been using this for almost a year and Citrix continues to work while not preventing games from starting.

Thanks for the better tip. I have another computer I am using right now to access my work system so uninstalling is ok, but I'll keep that in mind.
Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ripper Swarm posted:

GTA Online has that box ticked since the casino dropped

Is that the modern Sonic game that's actually fun?

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the really good one.