Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Starting the new year with about 520 games in my backlog. My goal for this year is to be below 300 by the end of the year. We'll see if that happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Any last minute indie recs before the sale ends?

Astrologaster. It's a visual novel telling the story of Simon Forman. It's laugh out loud funny in parts and overall excellently put together. A full playthrough will take you 4-5 hours.

The Death of Erin Myers. This is a very well done point & click telling the story of how the protagonist ended up dead. As you might imagine, this is not at all cheerful. It's about an hour long.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Disco Elysium's still on sale if anyone regrets not picking it up.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Gromit posted:

For Morse code, I recommend using a decoding tree like this one. When you hear a dot move left and down, and dashes move you to the right. So dot dash dash dash is J, dash dot dash is K, for example. Much quicker to decode if you don't actually know it by heart (and pretty much no-one does, statistically).

How do you distinguish between, say, EE and I?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattstark256/status/1213156890475212800

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The back half of the Messenger would've been fine if they'd put in a proper fast travel system. I really don't understand why they didn't.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

drat TSRs.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Every time I get a new piece of computer storage I fondly remember installing Daggerfall with my dad when I was 12 and both of us goggling at there being a Huge install size that was 450 MB and wondering how anything could possibly need that much space.

I remember when TekWar came out and people were talking about its 50 MB footprint.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

bowmore posted:

What's good and really cheap at the moment? There is so much trash on steam now

Diamond Dan is a dollar well-spent. Linelight is also a good use of your money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

quote:

ELDERBORN is a Metal Action Fantasy Slasher with brütal FPP melee combat and souls-like/RPG character progression.

They're trying just a bit too hard.

(bolding mine)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

:frog:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Everything on Steam is crap until proven otherwise.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

as a reference steam programmers, if you want to personalise the storefront more then maybe have it check that i haven't already set all the recommended games of a steam curator to ignored before telling me that i might be interested in their game opinions. because i'm obviously not.

I had one the other day where it showed me a daily deal on something in my cart. They even put up a green marker (like the white one for in wishlist and blue for in library) to highlight that fact.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Perfectly good music for a game. Just not a rhythm game.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

At long last, Ambrose Bierce's classic late nineteenth century short story is available as a video game format. It's free and takes about ten minutes to play, so why not give it a try?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

pentyne posted:

On the subject of backlogs and good games, I've never heard a bad word about Okami and it seems like a great deal for $10.

If you're a completionist some of the endgame sidequests will frustrate you pretty badly. That's the worst I've got.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

20XX is getting a sequel. I don't usually care for procedurally generated levels, but that one worked really well and I'm interested to see what they do next.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Even if we come up with some breakthrough that lets us control those electron flows, we'll still be limited by the fact that information can't move faster than light.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1229193661943971840

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Speaking of good 30 year-old games, the SNK collection is worth picking up on the cheap just for Crystalis. It was one of the best games on the NES, and it's competitive with a lot of modern indie games. Anything else there that you like is a bonus.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I loved the GBC version, how does it compare to the NES one? I understand there were some pretty big differences.

As far as I can tell this version is more or less identical to the NES version.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Luna Nights definitely benefits from being fairly short, but what's there is good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Double Cross is a short 2D action platformer that's not getting as much attention as it deserves. It's $5 for the rest of the month and well worth your time to check out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I can imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Celeste started out with the achievements disabled in assist mode, but they eventually turned that off. If you want to get all the achievements while invincible and flying, you can do that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Nihilumbra is a good game and very much worth it at 70% off.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Adult only content is one of the very few things that Steam lets you keep out of your queue. Change your settings.

You're still going to see a lot of crap because almost nothing gets tagged as adult only, but it still helps.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

I love the Skautfold games on paper more than in practice, but they're all definitely worth a play, particularly because they're all different genres. Shrouded In Sanity plays like Dark Souls meets Streets of Rage, and Into the Fray is a twin stick shooter. The story solid and original in the Dresden Files way of "how did no one make this before." I'm pretty sure it's a one man dev team, too, which makes the games, and the frequency they come out, really impressive.

The fourth game is currently in early access.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I was honestly never expecting to see this on Steam, but there you go.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Foldit/status/1233510766336233473

If you like puzzle games, this is worth checking out. You get to work on a hard problem and the results might be useful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's an ongoing LP of Fell Seal right now. Check out the first few updates if you want to see how the game plays.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Ori 2 might be the newest platforming hotness but back here in 2018 I can finally declare my mission to scale a mountain of corpses to reach a berry in the moon a complete success. :toot:

There's a lot of other strawberrries, you know.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Artelier posted:

well that's a buy for me :stare:

Anyone have any thoughts on Iconoclasts?

The story is really fantastic if a little slow to get moving, the soundtrack is excellent, but the gameplay is a mixed bag. It's mostly a serviceable platformer but each boss fight has a different gimmick, and some of them work better than others. Overall I'd say it's worth a try but don't go in expecting to love it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

https://zertuk.itch.io/spooky-ghosts-dot-com - cute little metroidvania, it's pretty basic though

I thought they gave the bosses about twice as much HP as necessary to make the game last longer. Otherwise it's pretty solid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Regarding steam review scores, has anyone ever done a study to determine how accurately they reflect the opinions of everyone who's ever played a game?

For instance, let's say a game has 60% positive scores, at 10000 reviews total. 6000 positive, 4000 negative. However, of the people who enjoyed it, only 30% wrote a review, compared to the people who disliked it at 70%.

The actual numbers would be 20,000 positive and 5714 negative, or in percentages, 78% positive and 22% negative.

Could be the other way, too...

It's generally well-understood that online reviews aren't a representative sample of the population. There are some things you can do to try to make them more representative, but it's not clear that that's the biggest problem out there. Review bombs and fake reviews in general are much more important to go after.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Bright Memory came out of early access but it doesn’t look like it has a full campaign. Is it just the one short episode?

The full game is coming out as Bright Memory: Infinite.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Zelda has never been known for having difficult gameplay. Difficult /= Deep.

That's gotta be coming from people who've never played the 8-bit games.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The original game is still there. Someone who wants that same experience can just go play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

AMID EVIL is getting new content.