Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

haldolium posted:

I'd recommend it if you are still OK with certain outdated/not so convenient mechanics (questlog, finding people etc.) and just want to enjoy Outcast with modern visuals.
I'm still bummed they replaced the amazingly-overwrought CG intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCNok_HgYY

Not to mention the dance party credits...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tKBWvxWTKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

thicc_waluigi posted:

There's a time limit in a CRPG?????
Man, I literally just finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker tonight after 85 hours of playtime. It was getting to be a slog, just too much with some questionable design decisions. I did like it enough to finish, I found it captured much of the essence of Baldur's Gate. I enjoyed the minute-to-minute gameplay (well, most of the time) more than either Pillar of Eternity game. Even when PoE2 is more intellectually satisfying, being far better written.

But P:K is really trapped with some antiquated design decisions.
  • Time limits and time management are a major part of the game, yet it also likes to waste your time
  • Rail-roaded morality, you have to make some extremely stupid dialog choices along the classic DnD Lawful/Chaotic and Good/Neutral/Evil alignments
  • Bad quest interactions, failing one quest because you completed a completely unrelated quest
  • Too faithful to annoying PnP rules. Near the end of the game it starts tossing attribute-damaging enemies at you. What spell clears up the diseases they give you? Restoration? No. Cleanse? No. Cure? No, that is for the generic "disease" status only. You specifically need Heal, what a needless pain in the rear end.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Nevermind, I can't read.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Jamfrost posted:

I stumbled upon Quantic Dream's store page.

https://store.steampowered.com/developer/QUANTICDREAM
They don't claim their older games Omikron or Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy even though they are on Steam. I wonder why?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

StrixNebulosa posted:

It made me laugh a little and I wanted to share that with the good people in this thread
Wild that you brought back Dominic White to these forums.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Hwurmp posted:

Just imagine a Homeworld space game where you're exploring gigantic ancient shipwrecks on the scale of the HW2 Progenitor mothership.
Good news then! Homeworld 3 is going to feature megaliths as part of the combat map.

Fig Update posted:

These megaliths are in the process of being blocked out and designed. We’ve always wanted players to be able to explore the beautiful backgrounds of Homeworld and this is a step towards that. These megaliths are massive in the space, and something that we’re excited about using to bring a greater sense of scale and awe to Homeworld 3. We are excited to see how players find themselves thinking strategically and stretching their imagination on how combat can take place in, around, and with the Megaliths and space debris.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It boggles the mind because the idea was that Leah was going to take over from him in the future. Only for them to kill her off in the same game too later on.
I'm a little icked out by Blizzard continually letting Chris Metzen indulge in his women-physically-corrupted fetish as a main storyline in their games, it happens to Kerrigan twice!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Cartoon Man posted:

:siren: TODAY IS THE DAY TO GET WATCHDOGS 2 FOR FREE BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 2:30PM and 4:30PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME! :siren:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidt...-what-time/amp/

Unsurprisingly, it's quickly broken down.

https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/status/1282385749141331968

Edit: Looks like they managed to overload their log-in servers, so people just trying to play games can't even log into UPlay right now.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 12, 2020

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Now this is a great trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZENtOGdMkc

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't see a thread for it, but did anyone pick up Iron Harvest? I've been following development but missed the kickstarter, and I love Scythe and the world its set in. I look at reviews and most people seem to have issues with it not being as robust multiplayer (Jesus christ, is ranked MP that important?) as promised, but there's some mentions of janky movement and pathing not being great. As someone with like 500 hours combined in the Company of Heroes games i'm pretty used to units making the worth decisions when you tell them to move.
Unfortunately, it looks like you missed the demo they had available back in June. It was enough to completely unsell the game for me, it was a CoH clone but worse in pretty much every way. It doesn't even capture the dieselpunk aesthetic very well, I found the visuals brown, muted, and uninteresting. The mechs don't have much of a sense of presence either, basically behaving like an alternative skin for tanks. The AI was really janky, infantry units can have issues getting into cover or returning fire for no obvious reason. It was just so underwhelming in all aspects. Maybe they fixed things up for the full release, but the demo was pretty bad and only a couple months old.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

On the topic of demos, I played over 20 demos from that Indie Arena Booth. Really reminds me why demos died out, they are far better at discouraging than encouraging. Though it gets difficult with indies, some of these demos are little more than early prototypes that are nowhere near ready for exposure. Hopefully, they can be built on, but really only one demo left me enthusiastic. Which is a longwinded way of explaining why I wrote this post about one specific demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVIepHmMJw

Lucifer Within Us was the only demo from the Indie Arena Booth to really catch my attention and leave me wanting more. It is stylish, innovative, and has an intriguing setting.

In terms of gameplay Lucifer Within Us is an investigative game focusing on building timelines of events out of the testimony of suspects, which means that each person's timeline of events may not be accurate. This timeline animates in the game world so you can scroll through it to watch the movements and actions of people through the scene. To uncover the truth you can contradict people based on physical or testimonial evidence, which forces them to amend their timelines. Helpfully the main character evaluates actions on the timeline (based on specificity for example) to give you hints on where to press suspects. As you uncover lies in a character's testimony you also get insight into their personalities which help you reconstruct the crime, as you have to put together means, motive, and opportunity to solve the case.

The game also has a fascinating setting that really leaves me intrigued for the full game. The demo doesn't really explore details, but what is presented is a sci-fi Christian-inspired theocracy, where everyone has implants that connect them to a digital network. The assailants in the murders you investigate have been possessed by demons from this network, and apparently (this doesn't come up in the demo) identifying the specific demon that has driven a character to murder is part of solving the case. Your character is an Inquisitor charged with solving murders and exorcising the demons that drove people to murder. The demo doesn't get into the demonic stuff, so it is a matter for the full game how real these demons are. Do they actually exist or are figments from a human-created digital world? Part of why I'm eager for the full game.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

El_Elegante posted:

Do you know if it's possible to wrongly "convict" someone? I really like this game's premise and aesthetic.
Unfortunately, I don't. The demo only seems to have a single path through the one case presented, so it is impossible to mess up. But it also looks like it is the tutorial, so maybe it is simplified compared to later cases.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

MarcusSA posted:

For some reason I have Bound By Flame on my wish list and its really cheap. Is the game worth a poo poo or a hard pass? I have no idea why I added it to my wish list.
The big question is how well do you like Spiders? :spiderguy: The French RPG developer I mean. It's near the bottom of the list when it comes to their games, but if you are a fan of Spiders' brand of Eurojank you might like it. Otherwise, be very wary. I enjoyed it, but it's not something I'd recommend to someone who isn't a Eurojank fanatic.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9SJeNdSLA

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Cardiovorax posted:

What a sad world we live in these days.
A sad, stupid world. Besides the horror of having a diverse cast of human characters, this tiny detail is enough to set the CHUDs off on the game.

https://twitter.com/MitchyD/status/1312022464709394439

Edit: Wow, what a lovely way to start a page. Here is an offering to balance the scales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q07x1cPY5Q8

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 3, 2020

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

HopperUK posted:

All I want is for the voice-acting to sound like the guys at the start of Guys and Dolls. That ridiculous Hollywood gangster thing.
Hopefully they are inspired by the classics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxf9PdLlo9I

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 6, 2020

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Antigravitas posted:

It has an absolutely amazing soundtrack and great sound design. It absolutely nails the atmosphere. Listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZksH2sIQdJ8
Not disagreeing, but I'd also like to see developers take more risks when it comes to music (and maybe everything else too) and 40K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Just finished Astrologaster and I'm surprised I didn't hear people talking about the music. The character madrigals are great, though I suppose it is very niche.

My favorite, about a hypochondriac:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9twMee6kx_k

On the protagonist and the game's main quest of gaining a medical license:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUT6mw_9Dcw

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Walked posted:

What is a non-action game (I have pretty bad FPS style reflexes) that I can pick up and sink substantial time into, but sometimes in smaller (30-45min) chunks and really have a long-term rewarding experience?

I value depth, possibly multiplayer, and slow pacing re: gameplay as I'm slow and bad at games.
What genres do you like? RPGs and non-RTS strategy games sound good for your situation, but I'm sure you could find plenty of games in other genres that would fit the bill.

In terms of RPGs, the Pillar of Eternity (about 60h apiece at a normal pace) series or the Divinity: Original Sin (~80h-90h each) series stand out. If you prefer the classics the enhanced editions of the Baldur's Gate (~50 for the first, ~70h for the second) series and Planescape: Torment (~40h) make those games easy to play these days. If you don't mind a spartan presentation, you could also look at Spiderweb Software's offerings, the Avernum (~60h each) series alone can keep you occupied for quite a while. And hell, there is a whole world of JPRGs out there that I'm sure someone else can talk knowledgeable about.

For strategy, I'd second the modern X-COM (~40h each) and Total War (a single campaign is ~30h) series. I'd highly recommend the Anno (no end state) series as well, as a gorgeous city-builder you can approach at your own pace. Perhaps tactical stealth would be up your alley, like Mimimi's Shadow Tactics (~30h) or Desperados III (~30h).

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Well, I played through G String hoping it would be another E.Y.E. And well, it isn't.

It is the product of a singular developer, which allows her vision to singularly come forth for both good and ill. It boasts 10 years of development and unfortunately that shows in how overbaked it is. You can see it in the progress of the game itself, the game lasts 10 hours, the first 6 of which take place in the same repetitive urban ruins and canal systems. The game has a lore book and you can see how proud the developer is in her world-building. So there are elaborate explanations for how the futuristic city the game takes place in is literally built on the ruins of the older city, and how there are vast drainage canal systems to handle the intense toxic rainstorms of the polluted future. Yet spending the majority of the game's playtime in ruins and canals gets monotonous, especially when on several occasions you literally fight your way to the higher levels of the city only to fall back again to the lower levels. The game gets more inventive with its locations in the latter third, but the levels get shorter and shorter and you are unceremoniously moved from one to another. The game seriously pulls the "trapped by the villains and moved to another level" cliche twice in the last 90 minutes of the game.

It is still obviously a Half-Life 2 mod, nearly all of the weapons and enemies are simply reskinned versions of vanilla HL2. Even though the developer says all assets are original, it also looks an awful lot like HL2 with the entire game taking place either in decayed urban ruins or angular, metallic sci-fi environments. Unfortunately the gameplay really isn't that great either, you will spend much of your time traversing ledges or looking for vents to move from one room to the next. The game is really centered on traversal using Source engine mechanics, I don't think someone unfamiliar could beat the game. The developer, Eyaura, is obviously more skilled at some parts of Source engine than others. You are treated to multiple great panoramas during the game, but she is weak on combat design. You only ever fight people in tight corridors, there is never an opportunity to engage in open spaces with real tactical possibilities. It also suffers from a voiceless protagonist even more than Half-Life does, there is literally no motivation ever given for the main character. The game seems weirdly meaningless, with an aimless protagonist and especially given the disappointing ending. The protagonist dies in a battle she accidentally finds herself in. Then there is a bunch of imagery stolen from Lynch and 2001 to try to give it some unearned weight.

There are bits I like about the game, the comically bleak atmosphere that really sticks out. The game starts and ends with battles in space by rebelling colonies lead by Mars against the tyrannical Earth government, debris from falling down on the city in the early parts of the game. Meanwhile, there is a rebellion from the lower classes on the ground in the city, alongside another uprising by robots (either nannybots or sexbots, naturally) who have been highjacked by a rogue AI. So three rebellions going on at once! There are bits like the cheerful advertising about the lowering of no-questions-asked euthanasia to 37 years old, or selling your body to medical research in exchange for having your brain uploaded into a digital pleasure realm. Or one fun sequence where you are being flung around by the airflow in a gigantic air refinery (the atmosphere is too polluted to breathe, so clean air is now a commodity), setting off constant alarms as a contaminant.

I regret that there is more bad than good here, I'd sum it up this way. The game sells itself using screenshots like these, representing only a few moments in-game.

But for most of the game you will be looking at endless scenes like these, and trying to figure out how to progress:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/autumn2020_adventure

Sale page is up, but looks like discounts haven't yet been applied to the store.

Edit: Now the main Steam page has the sale up, so this is pretty redundant.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 25, 2020

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Big news for the Game of the Decade, too big for the Disco Elysium thread alone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-LqSMeOOJY

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any thoughts on Per Aspera?
Disappointing, unfortunately. The gameplay is all about logistics but has some painful problems with its balance, something that at least the developers seem to be working on with patches. Deposits of materials run out far too quickly and are spread around unevenly. Leading, for example in my playthrough, water being an enormous bottleneck in my production chains because the majority of ice deposits ended up under the terraformed oceans. And ice mines are the only way to produce water, can't do anything with the oceans you create. It is easy to fall into a failure spiral if vital supply chains break or you run out of raw materials without the resources to stretch your base to new deposits. There is also an unpleasant amount of micromanagement, trying to get your rovers (which move all resources in the game besides colonists) to prioritize where you need them.

The end-game is also pretty lacking as the terraforming doesn't change things. You can turn the surface of Mars green, but the change is mostly cosmetic, with some effects on the atmosphere. Even when you introduce plants and animals on the surface (which you can't see), you still are forced to rely on chemical and water mines that feed into food factories for you colonists. The last hours of a playthrough are just putting the game on maximum speed as you finish out the research tree and build the last major projects needed to win. Finally, there is a rather extraneous combat system, which can completely derail your playthrough when you are first attacked if you don't prepare for it. It is both simplistic and poorly balanced, every fight is one-sided and comes down to throwing enough resources into combat drone construction until you can overwhelm the enemy.

It isn't as bad as I've made it sound, as I've focused on the negatives. I also do hope that the developers can fix some of the problems. For a strategy game, it has an interesting introspective storyline as your character, an AI created to terraform Mars, figures out its existence. For example, what is the primary mission directive? What mission control back on Earth says? Protecting the human colonists? Or terraforming Mars? The gameplay itself isn't bad either, just poorly balanced and doesn't adapt as conditions on Mars radically change.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I'm absolutely sure that I will really enjoy Cyberpunk 2077 in a year or so when it is all patched up. Godspeed early adopters, I don't understand you but gladly accept your sacrifice.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Omi no Kami posted:

What's the deal with Kingdom Come: Deliverance? It has that thing where all of the reviews are either excessively positive or exceedingly negative, without much wiggle room. Is it just one of those things where, like, if you're down for eurojank exploration it's rad, but if you go in expecting indie Skyrim you're setting yourself up to get disappointed?
To get directly at what other posters have been talking about, the game's director Dan Vavra explicitly staked out his position as pro-gamergate and anti-SJW/progressive, which he conflates. In some of his interviews he still carries a torch from the Cold War and further conflates his online enemies with literal Communism. From what I understand, for Vavra it all comes down to what he perceives as "censorship." He's obsessed with the notion that people are trying to silence him with their criticism and stop him from creating games. He vehemently took a side in the online gaming culture war, gaining both die-hard supporters and detractors. Not that I am saying both sides are morally equal, but that is gets reflected in the polarized reviews.

https://twitter.com/DanielVavra/status/525933062597931008

Vavra also tries to use KC: D's claimed historical accuracy as a shield. There is plenty to be said here, but I'll recommend this RPS article about KC: D vaunted "historical accuracy."

Andreas Inderwildi posted:

Right off the bat, it’s clear that KCD’s main interests are politics, war, and material culture (weapons, architecture, etc). Its claims of historical accuracy are measured almost solely against these interests. The more intangible aspects of life, such as social conduct, creativity, language, religious belief and mentality, aren’t given as much attention. KCD mostly assumes that people behaved, spoke, and reasoned just like we do today: throw in a “God be with you” as the opening line of every dialogue tree, and voila, medieval conversation!

[. . .]

The past is more than an accumulation of facts, and filling a world with period-accurate weaponry, recreations of castles and allusions to historical events doesn’t equate to historical authenticity. KCD sees its own modern biases reflected in a past age because it plants them there, as all historical appraisal or recreation must to an extent. Here, that is taken one step further. KCD sets out to celebrate the past, but ironically distorts its idealised object. The dream of an objective, accurate recreation of the past will always be a fool’s errand, and in pursuing it, Warhorse have created another fantasy game. One without dragons, but a fantasy nonetheless.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Sininu posted:

Zwei: The Arges Adventure
Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection
I'd been eyeing the Zwei series, so if you don't mind PMing? Thank you!

Edit: Double thank you! Something cute to play is nice in this age of darkness.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 24, 2020

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Heads up!

https://twitter.com/slowbeef/status/1342513140953706496

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Hey man I have nothing but respect for anyone that wants to play certain games with a mouse and keyboard - the 2 that come to mind (i tried them last time both my batteries were dead) are rocket league and dark souls which were almost as unintuitive as speaking German. At least you own the drat controllers, its an option, these folk who just steadfastly refuse to own one, they are the real monsters.
:actually: Why should anyone hobble themself to the limitations of a controller?

Seriously, the biggest gripe I have about controllers is their effect on UI by lackluster developers. Looking at you, Bethesda.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Move over The Sinking City and Call of Cthulhu, I'a I'a Cofflhu Fhtagnyaa is on Steam.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Speaking of the Yakuza series, is there any reason to put off playing 7 until after 6? I'm pretty much PC-only, Y6 is a few months away and I'm thinking of starting Y7 soon.

If I ever get to the end of AC: Odyssey, which is obnoxiously long.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Picayune posted:

I think you'd be okay to do that. Y7 definitely comes after Y6, and there are some familiar faces doing familiar things in it, but I'm pretty sure there's only one plot beat that actually makes a difference - one character's current status and job class, as it were - and you'll probably end up just going 'huh okay I guess this is what you're doing now' when it hits. As long as you're generally familiar with the game world, you're good to go.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And since they play totally different it’s not like there’s any QoL changes that’ll make going back difficult, unlike going from Dragon engine games to anything before 6.

Begemot posted:

Nah, 7 is another good entry point for the series, like 0 was. It has some references to the old games, of course, but they're not critical to understanding what's going on or anything.

Gotcha. Thanks, that definitively answers my question.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Hwurmp posted:

what does Horny Twitter not run into the ground
Nothing... :negative:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Mordja posted:

That game is 100% the creator's gore fetish.
I wasn't sure if you were being mean or not. So I looked up the video that caused the whole mess, and yeah... you are not wrong.

Here is a link to the Youtube review of The Citadel that made the gore fetish accusation, if anyone else wants to take the same journey.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Well, as long as the thread is talking about this...

So its obvious which one I'm proud of. Then some from Seeds of Resilience, Warlock of Firetop Mountain, and Pathfinder: Kingmaker's Beneath The Stolen Lands DLC; all of which I guess people don't get far in.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Morter posted:

Get your orphan girl the stupid cat, idiots. That's the entire reason you're doing crimes
Have to raise Haruka right.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Kennel posted:

I answer to your rhetorical question: http://www.gregwray.com/
Needs something to wash the taste out:

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Ainsley McTree posted:

the rumor mill is confident that this is just a temporary exclusivity deal and it'll come to normal PC later on. I have no ironclad proof that this is true, but I choose to believe it as well because lol stadia? cmon

plus it would be super weird to announce the release of the (almost) entire yakuza franchise on PC and then a week later announce that you will not be doing the same thing for judgment
If you want something to pin your hopes on: https://yakuza.sega.com/judgment/img/purchase/, specifically "steam_on.jpg"

The Judgement website has already has graphics in place for a Steam release.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Steam has decided I'm a pervert all the sudden? I've just started getting a bunch of sex games right at the top, in Steam's big Featured & Recommended bar. Apparently because I've played games with the "Sexual Content" tag. Yet my library looks like this:

And Steam has started to constantly recommend games like this:

Edit: What a wonderful start to a new page.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 13, 2021

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Sinteres posted:

The algorithm figured out you're a goon so now you get anime porn recs. Goondolences.
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Hollandia posted:

You bought Bayonetta and Yakuza, you brought this on yourself.
Probably it. Buying Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 last week must have put me above the Steam algorithm's pervert threshold.

In other news: they are bringing the Disciples series back as a "strategy RPG." Disciples: Liberation has a page on Steam.

Though the trailer doesn't leave me enthusiastic. The trailer skipped past the series trademark gothic tone right to BDSM.