Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So what's the best way to stream Steam games to my TV nowadays? I have an old physical Steam Link, but either or doesn't like my current WiFi or it doesn't like my current computer. I have the PC plugged straight into the modem, but I'm not able to plug the steam link into it due to my apartments layout so I've been using the WiFi. But I tested it out earlier with Bioshock Infinite and the lost connection icon basically never left the screen. I have a Roku so I can't use the Steam Link app on the TV directly. Just for shits and giggles I bounced Steam to my phone via the app and then cast the phone screen to my Chromecast just to see how laggy it would be. It was surprisingly better than the physical Steam Link, but still nowhere near playable (not that I expected that to be).

I'm thinking I may just run a long as hell HDMI cable from my PC to my TV and just use a Bluetooth controller, but I didn't know if there were any other options. I haven't had a decent PC in about three years so I'm behind the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

doctorthefonz posted:

Run ethernet from the steam link to the router/modem and you'll be golden

Nah, unfortunately that won't work with my apartment. The modem is about as far from my TV as possible, but my computer tower is about halfway between the two. Honestly it would be easier to just get a longer HDMI cable than to plug in the steam link. I just didn't know if there was anything else that would work decently over the wifi. But it's no biggie, I was just curious.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

How come none of y'all told me I could use the Steam Link app to play my games on a completely different network than my PC? I thought they'd both have to be one the same wifi/wired connection but apparently that's not the case and I can play my games on my phone on my work wifi. I'm gunna need to start bringing my new bluetooth controller with me and just game on my lunch break.

Edit: You know, now that I'm thinking about it, is there any way to run Steam Link through a thumb drive or a web browser? I love that I can play remotely on my phone, but if I could play remotely on my work PC without downloading anything to it that would be even better. I figure the answer's probably no, but it never hurts to ask.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 6, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Some Steam games don’t require the client to launch, so you could throw the game folder on a flash drive and go to town. I’ve only ever done this with Caves of Qud, but anything from this list should work: https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

You can remotely access your machine through a browser with the Chrome remote app and other similar programs, but I can’t imagine it would be very smooth.

The Chrome Remote App is a no go because I'm sure I'm not even allowed to download the chrome extension on my work computer. That list of DRM-Free games has a bunch that I Was looking to play though and I might go that route. Thanks for the heads up!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Kennel posted:

February Humble Choice

So question about the Humble Choice since I've only ever used Humble for the bundles. If I were to sign up today for the Humble Monthly at a tier where I get access to the games, would I be able to claim whichever ones I want and then immediately cancel the reoccurring charge? Because I would be down for some of the ones available this month, but I don't really want to be signed up for a monthly subscription game service. I just wasn't sure if I had to be signed up for a full month or something before I got access to the free games, and I didn't see anything on the website when I skimmed over it.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I thought for sure I saw it on steam and it turns out Metro Exodus does indeed have a steam page, but you can't actually buy it there. I scrolled all the way down to the reviews on my phone and the only prices listed were for the DLC. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Oh man, I don't need any help with that. I decided to make a "Backlog" category in my library and put in games I own, I'm interested in playing but haven't played AT ALL on any platform (not just Steam). I have over 100 titles in there. I figure when I finish with Disco Elysium, I'll just open that list and pick one randomly.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

Sorry about dropping it unceremoniously like this, but it's either this or leaving it to rot in my Humble account. Even copying the links took like 20 minutes because you can't export or see all unredeemed stuff, you have to click through everything :negative:

Hand of Fate https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=MDKFNsRURdhU6Maw

Let me know if you want any of these.

Thanks man/lady! I nabbed Hand of Fate from the list. I might go back and look at some I'd never heard of since I'm on my phone. If I do I'll update this past though.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 29, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

e: not to mention you’re still buying the game itself and then pay subscription monthly

This is the part of them that's turned me off of MMO's now. I played WoW for like 5 years, and with the base game and the expansions I spent over 1100$ on that game. I'd never tallied it up before, but goddamn. I can't justify spending THAT much on a game I'll only play once or twice a week now that I'm an adult with a job. And that's in addition to the fact that since I'm only able to play every once in a while, my friends who play FF14 are just lightyears ahead of me in level so it's a pain getting in a position where I can play with them. It's just way cheaper and more convenient to get a non-MMO game with multiplayer and play with my friends through that.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How does D:OS2 run on a kind of lovely computer? The original ran just fine but a lot of newer poo poo, forget about it

I'm not sure how lovely you're talking, but I never had trouble playing it on my 9 year old rig. I can't remember what the specs were in that, but it was a nice mid-tier computer back in 2011 when I built it. D:OS2 is not a particularly needy game though.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Does anyone know how to change which games appear on the start screen for the Steam Link App? Like if I could swap out the games at the bottom for new ones, that would be great. I'm not seeing any settings or anything for it though, and it's not showing my most recent games played. So far as I can tell, it's just showing the first three games I ever loaded up in the app. It's not a big deal, I was just curious and my google searching is just giving me people with issues on their entire library not showing up.

This screen, for reference:

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Herbotron posted:

GQ8WM-6K3*6-JT6Z4 She*zen IO
M268X-LQ*LH-62XR9 Okami *D
NDI4D-X66LC-W*FY6 Slay th* Spire

P0Z*7-DB58P-LGDQ2 Hellb*ade: Senua's Sacrifice
N27Y4-KW*NT-ZXL2K Moonlight*r
QTNQ0-GGAHE-K*K6M God Eater 2: *age Burst
M6GBN-*L7NR-6RI4K *ultist Simulator
CRNC4-EL228-7*DT8 So*a

Awwww... someone snaked Hellblade and didn't say anything. Oh well, I can still steal my boyfriend's Xbox and play it through his Game Pass, even though I have an unreasonable hatred for the Xbox.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

poisonpill posted:

How has public goonpinion in The Outer Worlds landed? Last I looked people were pretty middling on it.

I had a lot of fun in the first third of the game, then slowly got more and more bored with it until I was skipping all the sidequests on the last planet and just ended up plowing through the plot. I don't regret playing it, but I doubt I'm ever going to pick it up again. I'd say it'd be worth picking up at around 20$, but I wouldn't go higher than that. It's just doesn't go anywhere fun or really memorable.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Does anyone know of a way of extending the range of an xbox one controller? My PC is in my bedroom with an xbox one usb receiver, and I’d like to play games on the projector on my living room, which is connected by a 40ft HDMI cable.

I was hoping that my controller’s signal would reach that distance through the wall and be okay, and it’s very close to working, but it disconnects every ten minutes or so which is not workable.

I can’t really move my pc closer, and I can’t move the living room setup either. So, that leaves either somehow boosting the signal of the controller-to-receiver, getting some 3rd party controller with longer range, or failing that, getting a wired controller with 40 feet of cable (that could potentially be possible with a usb extender? Not sure. It certainly wouldn’t be elegant.)

I'm also curious about this. When I'm on my couch if I hold the controller above my head I can usually get it to register. But if I hold it like a normal person, it only reads about half of my button clicks. I'm probably going to move in the next six months or so, but I was wanting to know what my options were in case my new apartment has the same set up for my TV and computer.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I've recently gotten back into the Steam loop after a couple of years of console only, but am I missing something here? This is just a big batch of demos right? Why is everyone excited by demos?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

queeb posted:

if its not dad nier im not interested!

Yea, Poppa-Nier is my cannon Nier, but I'm sure I'll be able to mod this to swap the models or something. I don't think there was any exclusive dialog or anything. But I've been seriously considering getting a PS3 and the OG Nier again for -ages-, so this is a nice surprise.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

Gigantic new bundle is up. Like 30 games and a bunch of books for $30.

https://www.humblebundle.com/conquer-covid19-bundle

Jesus, that's 45 games, 25 books, and a music maker app for 30$. And there's legit great games and books in there. I'm getting this as soon as I get home.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I got a bunch of duplicate games from that Humble Covid Bundle, so I'm just going to give the Steam keys to y'all.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - 35XX0-DVVGM-Q035Q
Brutal Legend - L6HPY-3TCXK-E2ICQ
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition - 32VV5-T6YXW-HK3ZQ
Hollow Knight - 3LHB8-YMEXE-JQT5K
Magicka - 326CH-4W3MN-7RQ0D
Psychonauts - I9WG5-AE3XQ-HHPGB
Samorost 2 - ZZPMV-XPYH8-EWANH
Sniper Elite 3 - 3C4Q9-PNWBV-ANK2T
Tropico 4 - 2Z4B0-I6R97-Z6Y23
Undertale - 3AZTE-RJTYP-XIQGM
World of Goo - 33NH9-BAYQF-Y2N55

Samorost 2 wasn't in the bundle, but apparently I got it in a bundle like a year or two ago and never redeemed it. You guys can have that one too.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hey so weird question. I got an Nvidia Shield about a week ago, and my boyfriend has been playing KOTOR2 on it. But whenever he hits a cutscene either in GeForce Now (through my steam library) or Steam Link, the entire screen just goes black. The sound keeps going, and he can bring up pause menus, but the game never starts displaying again. I saw something on reddit about editing the .ini files, but he's not wanting to mess with that. Do any of you know what's going on with that, or can you tell me if there's a better thread to ask in?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Have you updated it to the latest drivers? ini files are plain text configuration files designed to be modified. You can open them in notepad. You can back up the original before you modify it. Some games/programs will even work if you delete the entire file and replace it with a fresh copy. You could test that with your freshly-backed-up original even before you do anything at all.

Random post says: That very well might be a manifestation of one of the current release' known issues : Screen corruption/crash/android frameworks restart/ during video playback.

Yea, I just updated the latest drivers yesterday morning (before he tried playing KOTOR). I've messed with .ini files on my own, for my games, but he's not as tech confident as I am. I might just mess with it before he gets home today to see if it fixed it, and if not I'll see about maybe rolling back the drivers? I dunno, worst case scenario he can play the dang game on my computer.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Anyone know what's going on with my Steam Library? It's showing that I have Darkest Dungeon installed (and I navigated to the files so it's not a glitch or anything), but it won't let me play it. I thought that maybe it was something my boyfriend had bought and he turned off family sharing, but I can access other games that I know are his and play them just fine. But anytime I try and play Darkest Dungeon it just takes me to the store page. I thought maybe it was a free to play weekend or something, but it looks like I installed the game in May.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Also you can only buy stuff for games that you own and have over 2 hours playtime in. I found that one out the other day.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Mordja posted:

That can't be true, I just tested and was able to buy a goose game sticker and it's showing me stuff for Control, Dota2, games I've never played or even owned.

This is what I get when I try and get a Nier profile (I own the game but only have 90 min played right now).

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 28, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

OgNar posted:

When buying games through the webpage it always brings me to a page that has a big 'Remotely Install' button.
This has never worked for me.
It always brings up a page that shows my recently played games.
I assume I can just click on another tab and search for the game I just bought.
But why not bring that up with the link?

Thats almost as bad as their recommending me a car racing game based on the fact that I had a Tents and Blinds DLC for Hunter:CotW on my wishlist.

Are they hiring EGS coding leftovers now?

I dunno what to tell you, but the remotely install button works just fine for me. I set things to install from Steam on my home computer from my phone all the time and I've never had an issue. I actually really like that it defaults to that page because otherwise I would just forget to install the game until I sit down to actually play it, and then I would have to wait forever for it to finish. I wonder if there's some privacy/security option you need to enable to let you remotely control your computer?

Ainsley McTree posted:

Andromeda...andromeda was not good. The gameplay was fine, but every other thing about the game was so mediocre and boring and forgettable that nothing else redeems it. There are NPCs in the original trilogy that you only talk to for 5 minutes tops that have more personality than that entire game. Mass Effect is one of my favorite series, and I've played through the OT (including 3) probably a dozen times or so by now, but I've had absolutely no temptation to touch Andromeda again since I beat it the first time.

I adore Mass Effect (I even like the third one enough to replay it a few times, but ME2 was definitely the high point in that series) so I was stoke when I heard about Andromeda. I pre-ordered it, played it day one, and the best thing I can say about it is that it's incredibly mediocre. There's nothing offensively bad about it now that they've patched out the worst of the bugs, but there's nothing great about it either. I genuinely don't remember anything about it aside from the fact that there was a glowy blue black planet I got lost on forever, and the romance scene had more nudity than I was expecting. It is just completely forgettable.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 31, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok y'all weird question that I think I know the answer to. I've been porting over my older roms to Steam so I can just stream them from my computer to my shield and tablet without having to have everything downloaded three different places. I got everything working properly for RPCS3 and PCSX2 but when I looking into doing Retroarch I found out that they're adding that to Steam natively so I wouldn't have to do any shenanigans with it. I got it up and running, but when I hopped on my shield to test everything out in Big Picture Mode, Retroarch refuses to show up in my library.

It shows up in my "Resume and Explore" page, as long as it's one of the most recent games I've played:

But not in any other library at all:

I'm sharing my library with my boyfriend, so it'll fall off the Resume and Explore page really quick, and then I wouldn't be able to run it again remotely until I run it locally first. Which kind of defeats the purpose of running it through Steam completely.

So basically, I'm wondering if there's a setting or something I need to hit to show Playtest games in the Big Picture Mode (that's what seems to be the issue) or if I'm better off just removing the Steam version from my library and then adding it as a Non-Steam game like my other two emulators. I figure it's that last one, but if there's something I overlooked that'd save me some effort.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Awesome! posted:

didnt someone else here recently have the exact same problem with retroarch?

Oh man, I skimmed the thread some but I guess I missed that. Did they get it resolved?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

explosivo posted:

Looks like there was no definitive solution but someone did mention trying to add the exe as a non-steam game and seeing if that works. Not sure that we had an update after that from what I can tell. You can click the quote to go back and see the discussion about it

Yea, I only went back 20 pages, looks like that wasn't far enough. Oh well though, I was running into the same thing all over online, people went from being able to run RetroArch in BPM to suddenly not being able to and I couldn't find a solution anywhere. I did end up just going back to the stand alone program and then adding it as a non-steam game. It runs exactly the same, only now I get thumbnail art too (for some reason the steam version didn't show any). I guess when they do the official release I'll think about swapping back, but I'm good for now. Thanks for the assist though.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I come bearing gifts! I bought that Ukraine Humble Bundle, and you know I already had copies of some of the games on that list. So since they finally decided to give me the last few Steam keys I needed for my list, here you go!

This War of Mine - 7NGI6-EJ5CW-PRA6Y
Fable Anniversary - M9MBA-0XX2Y-Y79JF
PGA Tour 2K21 - NEG07-GF94Y-02GJI
Pikuniku - H64QZ-MVB88-323J5
Wizard of Legend - 6E36Y-NPBJX-DK6Q8
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - DR94W-2XEWX-NMJ82
Drawful 2 - HIB88-GLGT5-IA3M2
Amnesia: The Dark Descent + Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs - H6XFT-9L2PP-83KPR
112 Operator - 223AK-D207F-FQFYY
911 Operator - 22ALE-EKPJI-R9QHH
Radio Commander - 0WHYI-DHWLR-WVZTW
SUPERHOT - 380QY-70VTQ-BHPGW
Dear Esther: Landmark Edition - HFBLX-TF92Q-FBBF2
Book of Demons - B76Y0-N3QVE-RBQAP
X-Morph: Defense + European Assault, Survival of the Fittest, and Last Bastion DLC - DJ06V-7937J-BIWG9
Broken Age - G8WYL-6R3TD-BLAXW

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 2, 2022

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Det_no posted:

Anyone played Potionomics? Looks like Recettear 2.

Oh man thanks for making me check that game out. I REALLY enjoyed Recettear, and the trailer for Potionomics looks cool as hell. Apparently it just came out today too. I think I'm going to snag that one, it's only like 20$.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Moonlighter is nice in that it scratches the itch. It is not difficult, and the focus is more on dungeoneering and selling your spoils. Note that it's free on game pass and I didn't pay money for it. It's a bit on the short side, but you can putz around quite a bit.

Ending is a pretty LOL that was random.

Looks like it's on sale for 3.99$ now too. I may go ahead and pick up that one. I was really digging Potionomics, but the UI was turning me off too a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

A bonus to an attribute is just a re-contextualized malus.

Well luckily they introduced an option to remove all the inherent racial +'s and you can pick your own instead. So you can add one +2 and one +1 to anything you want, but you can't stack them. Tasha's Guide to Everything fixed a whole load of issues, but that was one of the best I think.