Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
A pretty significant thing happened today. Jason "This Game Will Never Go On Sale" Rohrer put one of his best games on sale at a crazy 75% off.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/249570/The_Castle_Doctrine/

The Castle Doctrine is a drat good game despite the reviews, and those negative reviews are mostly because the game has been lacking players for a long time. This is a really good chance to get in on a game that made me a huge fan of Jason Rohrer or come back to it. :hellyeah:

From his email:

Jason Rohrer posted:

"This game will never go on sale."

But, hey look, this game is on sale tomorrow on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/249570/The_Castle_Doctrine

Is nothing sacred?

I've lost my moral compass. I've been besmirched. I've changed. I'm not the game developer that I used to be. I'm not the man you married. I'm not the son you fathered. I'm not the baby that you once suckled to your dewy bosom.

And if that last paragraph wasn't clear enough: I've lost my marbles. I'm off my rocker. I'm not playing with a full deck. The lights are on, but nobody's home. I've flown the coop. I've tweaked the weasel. Yes, you read that correctly:

THESE PRICES ARE INSANE!

Somebody stop me before I change my mind!

But why, Jason, after all these years?

The Castle Doctrine is one of my best games, and it stands the test of time. However, it has become price-prohibitive for anyone to play in recent years.

In my early forays into online multiplayer games, I made a big mistake: I designed games that depended on a critical mass of other people to play. This is borderline suicide for an indie game with a small and sporadic audience. (I rolled that lesson into One Hour One Life, which is perfectly playable even if you're the only person playing.)

The Castle Doctrine isn't actually the worst offender in this department, because interaction with other players is asynchronous. You can design a house, and then come back in a few hours to see what other players have been up to. You can rob other players when they're not home, and the content created by whoever has been playing over the past few days is available to you now, even if they're not actually online right now.

The Castle Doctrine doesn't require a huge critical mass of players to work, but it does require a steady trickle of fresh blood. This new, more-appropriate price will make that possible going forward.

And of course, we all remember the glory days when there were 800 active houses online. How can these slim pickings ever live up to that experience?

The game has actually been improved a bit recently to be more low-player-count-friendly, with "state owned" houses fleshing out the list when things get too sparse. There's always something to do, and you can never run out of houses to explore and rob.

But last I checked, a few living players were still hoarding all the paintings. So someone is still playing, and they're in for a big surprise this week, as the teeming masses come beat down their doors.

This is The Castle Doctrine revival.

See you on my security tapes.

Jason Rohrer
March 2020
Davis, California

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

this is like a nostalgia speedball and I'm going full John Belushi

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
The music is hosed and the screen flickers in Slimjet, a lightweight fork of Chrome, but it seems to work alright with Chrome itself.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

ultrafilter posted:

It's still early. Lots of games don't go on sale right at the beginning.

Maybe like 10 years ago? There haven't really been daily additions or flash sales since the early days, have there?
Either way, I can't tell if this sale is disappointing or if I'm just spoiled by the unmanageable number of super cheap/free games I've been collecting lately.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Dusk is the best FPS of the decade.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I decided to finally redeem a game pass promo that was about to expire, and Metro Exodous has stolen my heart only for me to learn that it's being removed in a couple days. I just finished Winter as a hardcore ranger. Please tell me the game gets really lovely in later chapters so I don't have to buy it, or tell me if the DLC is worth it, I guess.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have an actual Steam client question. How the hell do you get more than one friend in to voice chat? Each time I tried to conference someone in, a new chat window opened and cut off voice chat with the other person.

I haven't used it in a long time, but my buddies and I would use the chat room of our steam community group and start voice chat from there rather than the 1-on-1 chat windows. Steam's had about 4 or 5 major updates since then so I'm not sure if it still works the same way.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
These demo festivals are the best thing Steam has done in a long time. It feels like I'm 13 and getting demo discs in the mail again.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Serephina posted:

Eh, that option didn't exist at the time. Also the magic's gone, can't put that genie back into the bottle after I've had to jump around staring at a baddie more concerned about how his AI script works rather than the mood he's setting. It's like asking a haunted house staff to go through the venue as a guest; it doesn't work.

If you'd powered past it, you might have discovered that you'll never have to deal with that monster again. Every enemy encounter in the game is unique and every one of them behaves differently. Losing the magic after dying to the same monster several times isn't really an issue when the next one you run into forces you to totally retool your expectations and the way you deal with it. Easy mode is also legit, because while the monsters were the big thing in Frictional's previous games, the plot/environment/atmosphere/storytelling in Soma is so outrageously good that the monsters (which are still the most diverse and interesting Frictional have made to date) turn out to be the weakest part.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Look Sir Droids posted:

Forgot to add good multiplayer and/or co-op too.

Check out Intruder. It's got a small but dedicated cult following and it had been going strong for several years pre-steam. The multiplayer will probably survive as long as any current AAA shootman game.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I thought Remnant was more like a hack & slash action RPG than anything. How much you enjoy Diablo solo vs multiplayer will probably reflect how much you enjoy Remnant the same way.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
What you're not understanding, Anonymous Robot, is that resisting Chinese censorship is a just cause, so that means it's correct and good to call CDPR "commie cucks" while that would otherwise be a rude thing to say.

I think it's fair to criticize the response to this by western gamers--who are supposedly distinguishable from Chinese gamers by virtue of not being bots--being embarrassing in the way gamers are want to be when it comes to anything tangentially related to China (or just in general, about all things, all the time). For further reading, see: Epic Games Store thread

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Lightningproof posted:

The way people discuss China itt on the internet makes me deeply uncomfortable personally.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Can anyone recommend a good single-player dungeon crawler where you control a party of characters that isnt turn-based?

I really want to like the new wave of D&D style games, Baulders Gate 3, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, etc, but they always become so boring by the tenth battle and I mentally check out. Gimme another Dungeon Siege where I can just relax and progress and watch my heroes beat up goblins without constant direct input from me.

Oh, and not action-rpg like diablo and grim dawn. Those are great games but not what I'm looking for right now.

Yeah, Grimrock 1/2 are exactly what you're describing but might not be the kind of Might & Magic-esque dungeon-crawler games you're thinking of? Also, StarCrawlers is in the same vein but sci-fi, and Aeon of Sands is post-apocalyptic with some CYOA stuff.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Probably, my only experience with it is watching it sit on my wishlist for ages.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Count Uvula posted:

Garbage! Is Hugh an rear end in a top hat as well? He's been nice in the brief few interactions I've had with him.

Hugh comments about it in that thread, he's the next reply down if you show more.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mordja posted:

I love Brigador and Synthetik, they remind me of the Crusader games but here's the joke: I've never played the Crusader games. But I did have a CD with a trailer for Crusader: No Regret and Syndicate Wars and they looked like the coolest loving things. Years later I'd actually try and play both games but could never get into them.

Brigador looks and feels the way I remember some PC or arcade games from the 90's being, but they're games that don't exist or that I never actually played. It's some weird sort of pseudo-nostalgia that I don't understand, but it feels like home.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
This is important so lets clear this up right now: are you implying there's a cut where all the cats have human/house cat hybrid buttholes showing?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, i've played Slay the Spire. I love it but I think I got all the mileage out of it I can. I'm hoping for more content down the road. Or a Slay the Spire 2.

I've always loved the idea for a turn based JRPG that worked as a deck builder. and loot drops were card pack.

I have Steampunk: Gilgamesh but that didn't really grab me. That one is more about upgrading the cards you have.

Slay the Spire just added a 4th character recently if you weren't aware, and there are a good number of really excellent mods that add a dumptruck of new content if you haven't tried them out yet.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's been a slow and depressing slide downhill for that site.

It's like they're actively self-destructing. Nate Crowley's Five Nights at Freddy's article is brilliant though, and his Age of Empires 2 series is p good. On the bright side, he'll probably be laid off within the year and I can finally stop checking the site entirely, or in the next few weeks when I find it impossible to navigate to his pieces with this lovely layout.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any good alternatives to RPS out there? Or is it the last of the great game blog coverage websites?

Not with the same areas of focus and sense of humor, that I know of, at least.

Here are some sites that I think you, specifically, might like though: http://warpdoor.com/ and https://indiegamesplus.com/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
1 cool bird, 2 cool bird, red cool bird, blue cool bird

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cursed. I watched this for 15 minutes waiting for the bird to land.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I looked up myst to see if it was on GOG or anything and apparently there's a 3D version from 2014 but also a more 3Der version in development, I guess I should just wait for that?

The original RealMyst kinda blows, though I haven't played the 2014 version so maybe it's not as clunky. Myst Masterpiece Edition is the more vanilla way to play and is generally more convenient because you can quickly click through areas instead of having to walk (honestly the atmosphere in Myst isn't great, there's not much reason to "drink it in" walking sim style). If you really care about a flashy new & updated experience, just wait for the new one to release--but if you want the best Myst experience around? Buy Riven.

Here's a good review of the currently available versions though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzPuUuOq0Q

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
"Walking sim" is lovely and stupid but also there hasn't been a single video game genre invented in the last 25 years, or ever, that wasn't given the dumbest name possible so gently caress it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Veotax posted:

I recoil every time I see someone try to actually make "0451 game" a thing.

"Immersive Sim" is a pretty bad descriptor, but this is infinitely worse.

First Person Frobbers

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Prey is System Shock 3 and Dishonored is Thief 4 and I will not hear other wise :colbert:

Those games are nothing alike, you don't pick up or use things with right click. You absolute charlatan.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
So I've played about enough Hexceed now to realize how different from Hexcells it is. It's got different mechanics but the big deal is the difference in execution. Where Hexcells tends to be about expertly difficult puzzles--at least later in the franchise, Hexceed seems to be a lot more about the flow of speed-minesweepering. Hexceed drops some tricky spots requiring solid deduction here and there, but most of the time it's pretty laid-back and simple with ENORMOUS interconnected puzzles that flow together in a satisfying way. The very last puzzle in the tutorial set has 130 mines and about 500 or so cells, it's wild.

They're both excellent games with their own place in my library. The jury is still out on the Hexceed expansion season-pass thing but it's cheap enough and the game slick enough that even if it doesn't introduce enough new mechanics and puzzles months down the road, it's probably still going to be worth it.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I picked up a steam controller during that blowout sale when they were $5 and immediately fell in love with the exquisite haptics and the pad feeling 1:1 with a physical trackball--I was blown away. Then Steam automatically updated the controller and made the pad haptics way weaker thanks a lot gaben.

e; wow trash rear end snipe. have a better post instead,

The 7th Guest posted:

so I mentioned demos for this week's Steam Festival from the youtube trailers but I wanted to point out some more that'll be in the festival (which starts tomorrow)

some of the demos are available now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1050370/LUNARK/ (Cinematic Platformer) - Similar to: Flashback
https://store.steampowered.com/app/820540/Bloodroots/ (Action) - Similar to: Hotline Miami, My Friend Pedro
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1509080/Nox_Archaist/ (RPG) - Similar to: original Ultima series
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479150/Aeon_Drive_Prologue/ (Speedrun Platformer) - From the developer of Dimension Drive
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1303400/Whisker_Squadron/ - Similar to: Star Fox - From the developer of Race the Sun
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1476170/Godstrike/ - Similar to: Furi, Titan Souls
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1435790/Escape_Simulator/ (Escape Room Game) - From the developer of SEUM: Speedrunners From Hell

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Det_no posted:

THQ Nordic bought Gearbox. That's some mindblowing poo poo.
Correction: It was bought by Nordic's parent group. That makes more sense.

Every time I read about a thing being bought by another thing I can feel another tiny little bit of my spirt being sucked right out of me. I have no skin in this game and I'm still somehow exhausted by it. I can just see Randy sitting on a handsome chunk of cash while the rest of Gearbox's employees worry about how hosed up things are about to become despite being explicitly told that nothing concerning them will change.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
There are a whole lot of twinstick shooters in this fest, and surprisingly there are at least 3 separate hex-based chill city/landscape builders without combat of any kind.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

FutureCop posted:

As long as I download these demos, do they stay? Or are they limited and they disappear after awhile?

Festival limited demos will redirect you to purchase the game if available when you attempt to play it once the festival is over, and there's no way of knowing which ones will do this.

I also want to recommend Exo One from previous festivals, I've played the demo 3 or 4 times and I'm aching for more. I'm starting to get sort of unchuffed over it not being out yet. https://store.steampowered.com/app/773370/Exo_One/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I gave Flippfly's SNES Starfox-inspired Whisker Squadron demo a couple hours and it feels like Race the Sun was retooled into a starfox game, complete with the same 3 or 4 chunks of level layout & obstacles procedurally repeated throughout every level. It's pretty undercooked, buggy as hell, and the roguelike elements just aren't well balanced. The upgrades are so expensive and health restoration items so rare that it's pretty unlikely you'll buy anything but "restore shields" from shops. The only time I could afford a mechanical upgrade and had ample health, nothing but "restore shields" appeared in the shop. :rolleyes:

Aspects of it really have that 3D FX Starfox feel though, and I'm very into that. SNES Starfox was absolutely my poo poo and this has got me stoked on it, so I'm looking for any recommendations that ape on that game specifically.

e; I answered my own wishes, and found Ex Zodiac which also has a demo up for the festival, funny enough.

treat fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 4, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Oh yeah, hot dog. Ex Zodiac feels real good and absolutely has that 3DFX thing going on. I'm gonna give the demo a solid recommend

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’d much rather have humble than gamepass, if only because it gives steam keys and even steams dogshit-level UI and download manager is miles ahead of gamepass’s “whatever is leaking from a terminal Ebola patient” level setup.

I just had to reinstall windows and now I have 100GB of inaccessible data on D: that game pass won't recognize as being there and which windows won't let me manually delete.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

Don't Get Bit came out on Jan 29th this year and is a smaller bite-sized tactics/puzzle game where you guide your characters through levels and try to survive. It's explicit about how the game is meant to be played three times, and each win brings out more difficult challenges. It's also explicit about how there's no RNG, only your brain and lots of zombies.

My impressions of it are good as every level has a monologue from the main character as she recounts her adventures and it lends some narrative weight to the gameplay.

In a similar vein is HyperRogue, a hex-based roguelike in a non-euclidean world. There are an absolute rear end ton of different areas with various gimmicks and it's still being actively developed--and not in early access. You can find an older, free version on the Google Play Store.

e; some of the top reviews have 100 - 1000 hours in this game :wtc:
one of those reviews is by a dude I found on youtube making off-the-cuff videos on the game https://www.youtube.com/user/coldstarfish and if he's not a goon I'll eat my neckbeard
to qualify all this, I'll mention I have about 30 hours logged in it and I think it's wonderful. People who like puzzle games like minesweeper or hexcells/hexceed & want something more exploration and action based might get on well with it

treat fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 8, 2021

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

rt4 posted:

Is this a covid thread now?

idgi but just in case you're actually confused, no, this is the Yakuza thread

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

pentyne posted:

Pathologic 2

loving what is going on its miserable and depressing and its just running back and forth between quest markers while scrounging for water & food and hoping for some reason a bunch of townspeople don't decide to chase me down and beat me to death

:discourse:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Blattdorf posted:

Demoncrawl is going to have Online Multiplayer.

I was thinking of Crawl and couldn't believe the commenters on that video were taking it so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

awesmoe posted:

how so? im struggling to get worked up about it - if you want them permanently you can buy them.

I got 5 months of game pass free with a CPU and the only thing I was interested in was Metro: Exodous, which was removed 3 days after my subscription started.

It's great for trying things I'd never bother buying, especially since those sorts of games are almost exclusively what the service offers. It turns out that owning ever more games is a pretty weird point of stress in my life that makes me feel obligated to play them, and by not actually buying a game and avoiding that sense of obligation I am apparently a lot more likely to actually play something instead of endlessly browsing my library thinking "I should play that at some point"

That said I have no idea why I'm still paying for game pass :wtc: