Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Fashionframe is the real endgame of Warframe

And rep grinds. Jesus christ the rep grinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

StrixNebulosa posted:

One of the best soundtracks I ever bought through steam was the Brigador soundtrack. If you haven't listened to it, do!

Is that the Makeup and Vanity Set album? Their stuff is great.

Edit: that album is on Google Play Music and Spotify.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Time to upgrade.

There's only so much VRAM a man can buy! I tried to max out Resident Evil 2 and found out that even 1080p will suck up 14 GB of VRAM if you let it. Absolutely bonkers. A 2080 TI has "only" 11 GB.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As much as I don’t like listening to most prog (Rush, sure, Yes, if it’s one of their good albums) a trippy as hell prog-inspired shooter would own so insanely hard. Halls of mirrors and shootouts on two syncopated Newton’s cradles type stuff.

It's a tech demo, but check out Yedoma Globula. Trippiest game I've ever seen. https://bananaft.itch.io/yedomaglobula

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Samuringa posted:

W101 didn't even break 100k sales, did it? Platinum has the worst luck.

Well it came out like 10 months after the WiiU launched which was definitely a point in time where the console Had No Games. WiiU didn't get great until like September 2016.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

341 hours but I finally got the last Slay the Spire achievement.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

OgNar posted:

I'm about 80% of the way through Elex, they have learned nothing.
I mean whats the point of replacing janky with janky.

While Elex isn't a horrible game, the controls are plain poo poo along with the menus.
Also at like level 2 you can run into level 30 creatures on your first mission in the wilderness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyZj5S2f7Bc&t=68s

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Besieged JUST came out of Early Access. Sheesh!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

lol if you remember video game trailers

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wish Witcher 3 had stealth

Witcher 2 had stealth and it was...not good.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

2020 blows.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

been playing Receiver 2

Sheesh. And I had a hard enough time with the opening cinematic of Resident Evil 3 Remake. What you described sounds rough.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Det_no posted:

Telling someone to try Hollow Knight if they liked Dead Cells is like telling someone to try riding a donkey if they liked the rollercoaster.

????????????

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Was Pillars of Eternity II really good or underwhelming?

Really good. Miles better than PoE 1.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Xaris posted:

starlancer and freespace 2 is mission-style and it owns. fs2 being GOAT and unmatched 22 years later

22 years later and DIVE, DIVE, DIVE is still burned into my brain.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Rogue Legacy has weird jumping mechanics that never clicked with me and I bounced off of it hard. Something about it, can't quite put my finger on it. It wasn't like Dead Cells or Hollow Knight or any other recent(ish) sidescrolling platformers. It didn't feel fun to play.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Blast Processing

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Was Crysis really fun back in the day or did it just get acclaim for the graphics? All I can really remember is chucking turtles at things and getting shot at by dudes on the opposite side of the map.

It wasn't really fun back in the day. Its sandbox design became more and more constrained as the game progressed, leading to some surprisingly short and tepid experiences in the back half. People most remember it because the first 4ish levels make a great impression.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

If you saw “from the developers of Far Cry” and didn’t expect this on some level, you definitely never played Far Cry. It felt like they were desperate to make the exact same mistakes twice.

You really can't draw that conclusion from a developer who had only made one game previously. Crysis had similar shortcomings, sure, but at least it didn't have hordes of dumbass Trigens everywhere.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I love the original soldiers in HL1 because they would vacillate between instantaneous 90-degree snap turns while launching underslung grenades at your forehead and slowly squatting down in the middle of a hallway while running away. Terminators with IBS.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

With hobby-grade monster models.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So it looks like Serious Sam 4's reception has been less than stellar, whoof. And they dropped "Planet Badass" from the title at some point. And I also had no idea it was coming out today.

It has performance issues that need to be ironed out, but it's fun as hell and much much better than Serious Sam 3.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Are y'all complaining about skill checks leading to negative results again? Read the drat text and don't just click on things with brackets. Wasteland 3 absolutely screws you over if you blindly click skill checks the first time you meet the Patriarch you can med skill check his hand tremor and he HATES you if you do it and New Vegas: Dead Money is full of checks that ultimately lead to bad endings if you click them: Don't let Dean know that you're smart.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I've gotten about 2 hours into Vigil: The Longest Night and it's made a pretty good impression. Very nice and fluid Soulstroidvania vibe they've got going on with some cool bosses and simple intuitive soulslike combat. I also like the more Castlevania-esque additions of a skill tree and buyable potions/weapons. Translation is a bit sketchy and I have no idea what the story of this game is supposed to be about, but not bad so far!

Keep us posted on updates! The store page looks really, really interesting so I'm interested to hear how it develops for you.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Steam has problems sharing bandwidth with other programs in general. I've not made that experience with Windows Update in specific yet, but trying to stream something on Youtube at the same time kills download speeds way in excess of what the stream should actually be taking up.

I actually had this happen earlier today. Adobe creative cloud pushed an update at the same time I was updating a game on steam and both downloads took forever to complete on my PC. I did a speed test on my cell using the wifi and it was fine, just steam + another download at the same time tripped something up.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Genthil posted:

Are the single-player campaigns of Dawn of War III and Company of Heroes 2 worth playing through?

Company of Heroes 2 yes, Dawn of War III ehhh. Company of Heroes 2 is on the Xbox game pass if you have access to that already.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Fallout 4 is an aggressively C+ game. Never aimed high, never made a statement, never drew an interesting set piece. It's "good enough" the videogame, filled to the brim with chased trends and abandoned ideas. I slogged through it shortly after it came out and it was fine, aided heavily by mods pumped out by goons during the launch zeitgeist. A friend swore up and down that the DLC was worth a replay and gifted me the gold edition like two years after the launch. Just getting to the DLC was so painfully boring that I gave up. Maybe the Nuka Cola disneyland is fun, who knows. It doesn't help that the modding scene was gimped by the Bethesda official store junk.

Nick Valentine was a cool companion, though, and the weapon mod system is interesting enough.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Karma Tornado posted:

I just started playing Outer Worlds on Game Pass and does the writing ever pick up or is "hello stranger, I am [capitalist running dog], even though we just met, please turn off the power at the bad deserter town for me, you will need to flip these switches three" about what I'm in for

I presume I'm going to find out that diverting the power in either direction is bad for different reasons because there's no ethical choice under et cetera and so forth

Unfortunately no, it doesn't get better. The main quest has some interesting twists and turns but the whole game has a "Gee jolly, capitalism sure is wacky!" toothless aesthetic that endlessly throws binary lesser-of-two-evils choices at you. At first it's a little refreshing because the choices are not false or fabricated, you can rarely hit a dialogue check and make both parties happy. The issue is that they're tortured and terribly contrived, like they absolutely had to make both sides equally evil. I, apparently, got a bad outcome in a mid-game quest chain because the leader I was working for was actually a zealot and his 2nd in command thought I was irresponsible for supporting him, but the dialogue leading up to that point barely supported that outcome. Some of the beat-by-beat dialogue is fun - Spacer's Choice! and the Parvati companion line as two examples that come to mind. Then you get to Byzantium and the bottom falls out.

Also the whole combat system straight up sucks. It just sucks. The game has the most bloated and worthless inventory system I've experienced in an RPG.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

sebmojo posted:

yeah it's mad, I keep thinking I should upgrade but I have a sneaky suspicion it won't make a noticeable difference and changing mobo can be a pain in the rear end (though possibly not, win10 is pretty good about things like that).

A friend of mine just upgraded his i7-870. Q3 '09 processor. Absolute insanity. We played Ark and Payday 2 and Killing Floor 2 together for years and I had no idea. I have a feeling the RAM upgrade had a bigger impact than the CPU did (he went with a i7-10700K).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

lordfrikk posted:

Disregarding the fact that this rig is primarily for video editing: gaming-wise this is not a high-end machine overall because while the CPU is powerful, the xx60 line of GPUs was always targetting the medium end (not to mention the 2060 is not a current gen GPU). The huge amount of RAM or huge SSD doesn't increase your FPS in any way so a more balanced machine for the same price (just wildly guessing here) might be a 1070/1080 from the same generation while keeping the CPU but getting half the ram and only a 1TB or even 500GB SSD. At the minimum I'd say you'd have to have xx70 for it be considered high-end ish.

It's a 2060 Super, not a regular 2060. That puts it roughly on par with the regular 2070, but cheaper and with more CUDA cores. Also it launched in July 2019 and the 3060 and 3070 don't exist yet (and 3080s are sold out everywhere) so there are very, very few cards above that one that don't cost an assload of money. It's a purpose-built high end machine.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

rt4 posted:

If you like Twin Peaks, play Alan Wake. Otherwise, don't

I love Twin Peaks and gave up two chapters into Alan Wake and just watched an LP instead.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

As a personal note, I would suggest staying within the return period for this one if you're not really sure if it's your kind of thing. World of Horror is basically the board game Arkham Horror by way of Junji Ito-esque art. It has some really cool setpieces and ideas, but its biggest flaw is that it's really not much of anything in terms of being a game. Most of the scenarios (of which five will be picked at random when you start a game) come down to memorization and what doesn't come down to memorization tends to come down to how lucky you were at randomly finding a good weapon. Failing to win the game if you managed to stumble over a katana is nearly impossible, for example.

I don't feel like I've ever had a situation like that in World of Horror. I will say that the game's aesthetic feels so much like a horror Phoenix Wright game to me. I mean come on, listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks0L07tl3oQ and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvZak9pzMg

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

It may have been missed in the Halloween sale, but Black Mesa development did not stop at launch. The Crowbar Collective announced last night: Black Mesa Definitive Edition Beta is now available for opting in: https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/362890/view/2925611484592371251

What's in definitive edition, you say?
Art and aesthetic design passes on "We've Got Hostiles", "On a Rail", "Questionable Ethics", "Surface Tension", and "Forget About Freeman!" chapters
Lighting and level design passes on "Powered Down" and "On a Rail"
Better Steam Workshop support

Black Mesa is currently 50% off, $9.99! What the gently caress that's a lot of improvements.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

How is Ancestors The Humankind Odyssey?

Worth the :20bux:?

Eh. It takes itself a little too seriously. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PipzizkF-SY

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Artelier posted:

Prodeus is out in Early Access on Steam

Anybody check it out? Promising Steam reviews at least

It's extremely fuckin' good. Fun, engaging combat. The pixelated graphics are stylish as gently caress. Early Access campaign is 4-5 hours long, but there is already a lot of custom content if you want more. Andrew Hulshult did the music and it kicks rear end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhBc6ndD-u4

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I interpreted that tweet as a person pointing out a lovely and hurtful trope about scars that Ubisoft fell into. This conversation about defending the right (???) to use the term disfigured is monumentally stupid.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I hate to post about posting but lmao what kind of absolute baby complains about a sixer. It's essentially a PM from a mod/IK.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

I'm just cracking up at the poster that thinks a 3.69 billion dollar multinational corporation is "unwashed masses". Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

So, I was going to buy WRATH: Aeon of Ruin, but I noticed it was published by 3D Realms and if I'm not mistaken, it turned out that 3DR was full of chuds, right?

Yeah, just buy Prodeus instead.