Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is there a Temtem thread yet? Or anyone here played it yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Daemon X Machina or Metro exodus?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I realise Doom is out, but I was wondering if there's any goon reports on Panzer Corps 2?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

That was thoughtful of Bethesda.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Secret Government is an interesting take on the world strategy format of games. Rather than taking control of a Government ala EUIV, you take control of a secret society and try to influence the world through the use of spies and infiltration. It's a peculiar cross of Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis and Assassin's Creed. The demo is a bit rough around the edges, but i'm curious to see more of it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Starmancer is a cute space station construction game, not dissimilar really to Space Haven, though even more towards the pixel/mobile phone side of things ala Kairosoft games. It's a fun enough demo and fairly relaxing.

Chinatown Detective Agency is a point an click adventure game in the same style as Gemini Rue and others of its ilk. It's got a pretty solid intro and ideas and might be a good game to look at if you're into those sort of games. The first puzzle is a bit maddening due to the matching icons not exactly being the easiest to remember, but the idea of using real world information to hunt for clues is appealing.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Iron Harvest has got a long way to go, what with the units being matchsticks and the weaponry having no impact at all.

Disappointing really.

EDIT: lol there is literally no point to these mechs. This game is worryingly bad.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 17, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

queeb posted:

lol yeah iron harvest seems real bad. i was ordering my guys to get behind cover and they just kinda sat around it and got shot to death. plays like a real terrible company of heroes.

Yeah I had the same experience. I ordered my guys to go behind cover and they just...didn't.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Ostranauts: The NEO Scavenger dev is making a space scavenger type of game, I am excited.

The demo gave me the impression they're miles away from the Summer 2020 window advertised.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Boooooooooooobs.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Exo One is about being a flying ball on an alien planet. And...er...something about a Jupiter mission gone wrong? And a Stargate? And er...sad music.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Outer Wilds is excellent. I'm a horrible person who doesn't always enjoy indie games, but Outer Wilds is a lovely heartwarming experience and I'd definitely recommend it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

I enjoyed Outer World's too

Get outta here.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Outer Worlds was bad. Everything about it was incredibly milquetoast.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm tempted to get the new Startopia, but the sad passing of the narrator means the new one wont have the same charm from that angle. :(

Also the classic version still runs fine...

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Anyone else seeing an issue where all the Steam reviews are blank?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Cool thanks, was worried it was just me! :D

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Songs of Syx looks intriguing for £20 for a one man early access development makes me a bit skeptical of purchasing.

At least there's a demo I guess.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

How's Rebel Galaxy Outlaw? Just came out on steam after the epic exclusive year and it's way cheaper for me there.

I've tried it two times now and I've bounced off it on both occasions. It has a neat aesthetic which is kind of like Cowboy Bebop (I think the devs were inspired by Cowboy Bebop), but the actual gameplay is very basic and repetitive. It's not helped that the use of fast travel in the game makes space incredibly tiny and irrelevant. There's no point in exploring or travelling, instead the basic crux of the game is get missions, fast travel to x, shoot y, return for reward, rinse repeat. It's an extremely shallow space shooter, but it's pretty, has good music and is voice acted fairly well.

Your mileage is going to be based upon what you want out of a space game. If you want a quick pick and play shooter then you'll probably enjoy it. If you're looking for any sort of depth though you should move on.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 23, 2020

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It is here!

https://www.gog.com/partner/konami

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Larian is good.

Larian are very average-good and are given far more praise than they really deserve.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Fortunately, no one will ever make the same mistake of your posting!

Turn off your monitor!

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

quote:

The above image gallery serves to make one thing clear: Lae'zel's loathing for your hero character is not a one-off in Baldur's Gate 3. The next recruitable character you find is an evil cleric, who all but accuses you of being a creepy incel stalker. After that, you meet a vampire spawn rogue who introduces himself by way of attempted murder—after a spirited round of the old "hey, what's that in the bushes?" game, he tries to put a knife in your back.

Your cleric, who despises you, has no interest in your problems—so she cheerfully allows the rogue to try to backstab you. She continues to ignore the whole incident while the two of you roll around in the dirt with his knife at your neck. One way or another, the encounter ends with him in your party—but nobody feels good about it. If that leaves a bad taste in your mouth, buckle in—it's about to get worse.

Immediately after recruiting the rogue, you encounter three distressed, stranded fisherfolk who believe they're excavating an injured child from rubble. The "child" is an Illithid who is mind-controlling them—and if you want them to believe you, you'll need to pass a rather difficult Charisma check. If you pass the check, they express shock, loathing, and distrust of you before fleeing. If you fail the check, the Illithid convinces them you want the child to die, and it's civilian-murdering time. Yay!

Wow, that sounds godawful.

Okay, so I've just played this part and I have no idea what the gently caress this writer is talking about.

Minor spoilers ahead:

Lae'zel doesn't show any particular loathing, the worst you can say about her is she's the rather typical warrior-orc hotheaded character, but she doesn't show any particular disdain at the beginning, other than "Hey, stop loving around and let's get the gently caress out of here."

The evil cleric doesn't accuse you of being a creepy incel stalker. I have no idea where he is getting this from. Potentially a class/race choice?

The rogue scene isn't that threatening, and his explanation and resolution is fine. Also you can, at any point with all of these choices, tell them you don't want them to join your party.

The writing for the child scene isn't that bad. It's again not very subtle, but it's certainly not as bad as the writer makes it out to be.

tldr the writer has a bee in his bonnet and seems to be straight up lying in certain sections of his article.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks for sharing your own experience there. Could you get back to us about how long it takes to get the next recruitable character after that, once you get there? Because I really want to know how accurate that part was. The idea of having to either deal with assholes or play as a near-solo character until who knows when is what bothered me the most about that.

You pretty much get a full party within the first 15 minutes of playing after the intro sequence

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Srice posted:

Okay, so I've just played this part and I have no idea what the gently caress this writer is talking about.

Minor spoilers ahead:

Lae'zel doesn't show any particular loathing, the worst you can say about her is she's the rather typical warrior-orc hotheaded character, but she doesn't show any particular disdain at the beginning, other than "Hey, stop loving around and let's get the gently caress out of here."

The evil cleric doesn't accuse you of being a creepy incel stalker. I have no idea where he is getting this from. Potentially a class/race choice?

The rogue scene isn't that threatening, and his explanation and resolution is fine. Also you can, at any point with all of these choices, tell them you don't want them to join your party.

The writing for the child scene isn't that bad. It's again not very subtle, but it's certainly not as bad as the writer makes it out to be.

tldr the writer has a bee in his bonnet and seems to be straight up lying in certain sections of his article.

This is the screenshot the writer used to say that the cleric accuses you of being an incel and, well, consider me befuddled.

Haven't got there, but I can bet here and now that it's to do with her backstory/the reason she's called Shadowheart or whatever.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Drop Outer Worlds, buy Disco Elysium, experience true philosophical thinking and despair.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

I can get two:
Noita
Forager
House of the Dying Sun

I don't know what Forager is but Noita and House of the Dying Sun are both excellent.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Oh no, my money...

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

One of them has golf though, thus completing every possible mini game you could ever need from a Yakuza game!

EDIT: It was either 3 or 4.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Chad Jihad posted:

New stronghold not getting very good reviews, although the complaints seem to be that it's too similar to a game I never played so maybe that's not such a big deal

It's...eh...okay? It doesn't really do anything new and the campaign is a bit basic and, dare I say, a bit racist? The UX and menus are very basic looking and it basically feels a bit flat.

I guess the Stronghold series was always a bit odd, sitting in a peculiar area of city building and rts.

I don't regret buying it, but the experience does feel a bit flimsy so far.

quote:

Glad to see the MS holdouts are starting to show up on Steam. FH4 is great although I personally think the setting in 3 was better. Definitely a thing I recommend putting on your wishlist in anticipation of a deep discount at some point. I just wish these things would have crossplay between versions because a) I'm not going to double dip just to own it on steam b) fragmenting the player base is bad and c) I've already put shitloads of time into FH4 and don't really want to start over.

I also thought the setting of FH3 was better, although FH4 does add on some nice ideas like the Lego stuff. I do wish FH3 was more easily accessible though, it's weird that they've completely removed it from existence.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Prokhor posted:

The biggest issue with d:os, a game that I love, to me, is this poo poo

The maps have very specifically gated level zones, but with zero signposting for where they are or the appropriate way to progress. Like if you just keep walking down the beach you'll go through your level 1 area, dip into the level 2, oops all level 6 and you're dead. You like need to have that image open on another monitor so you know where you're basically allowed to be going at any point.

The biggest problem for me is the sandy beach island prison snore fest.

And holy moly have Larian stuck to that loving theme.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Larian can do anything else other than that in Baldur's Gate 3.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Orv posted:

I've got bad news, friend.

Oh I know, I uninstalled and refunded BG3. I'm meaning once they get to Act 2 or whatever.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

pentyne posted:

"Hey, Yu, it turns out Shenmue I wasn't the smash hit we thought, maybe it was too niche of an appeal. What's on deck for Shenmue II?"

:japan: "My greatness cannot be diminished"

:japan: "In this, players will be required to work part time jobs every day in order to afford their rent. Through this everyone will recognize that nothing could be better then simulating the monotony of working to survive."

"....................."

Yeah, so, Shenmue II is starting off worse in almost every conceivable way the Shenmue 1. Some of the npc faces are so badly animated it looks like a Photoshop where the artists just manually moved the jaw up and down to approximate face movement.

The cities sections are massive but, literally nothing to do since you need to work a part time job (of which there is only 1) for money you need to pay the rent while you are trying to explore the sprawling city without getting lost and find the clues you need.

I'm not loving doing that. Cheat Engine, make number go up.

I feel like am intervention is required.

Pentyne, put the shenmue down. You're worrying us.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Outer Wilds definitely fits the bill of mystery, space, etc. Very fun game. Try to avoid spoilers.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The New York guy in Holdfast is an Internet treasure.

Also watch out for the vaguely Turkish(?) sounding guy that organises everyone and is a joy to play with.

Honestly everyone in Holdfast is really nice.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Quite impressed by Carrier Command 2 and looking forward to the rest of what Microprose are producing. This new Microprose seem to be in good hands.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Somebody help me here because the pandemic has made time a blur.

Wasn't the first festival way back at the start of 2020? And Chinatown Detective Agency is still not fully released?

:thunk:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

if you asked me about the projects i had open at the start of 2020 and where I am with them in June 2021, well

Hah yeah I guess so, all fairness to them.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

You should all play Bear and Breakfast.

I'm not biased!

(It is genuinely quite good).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Stink Terios posted:

Aerith is the correct name, but should be pronounced Aeris.

Sephiroth should be pronounced Sefiross as well.

Should Cloud be pronounced Chandler?