Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

K8.0 posted:

Can't believe that there are still developers who think selling game music is a good idea. They should be looking at soundtracks as a way to generate interest and sell the product, not trying to monetize the 5 people who are stupid enough to grossly overpay for some mediocre music.

What about the ones who make a game to sell their music, like the Domina guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah my buddy was really into the crypt of the necrodancer soundtrack and like he played a couple tracks and it sounded like mediocre chip tune poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZIJxAI7NlA

Yeah this sounds like some chiptune poo poo alright

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean that's a cool metal cover of the tune, but it doesn't really make your point unless you're pulling music from the game itself

It's literally music from the game, here's a random YT video that showcases that level @1:35:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQy2cuK_GGY&t=95s

The video i posted earlier is just the creator's video of it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

to clarify, necrodancer has numerous alternate takes on the soundtrack by different artists built into the game

https://crypt-of-the-necrodancer.fandom.com/wiki/Music

More specifically, the "main" characters each have their own genre of soundtrack.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's funny that this is the example you went with, because Revengeance is one of the peak soundtracks that's really not that great if you separate it from the game. It's almost a counter-example. Reinforced by the fact that you don't really hear the OST versions in the game (save for some exceptions), because the game dynamically mixes several looping chunks together depending on what's happening right then. The only reason the OST IS so good is because it's tailored to the game situations.

Put it on a CD and, eh... it's almost entirely carried by the meme potential of Rules Of Nature.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Suddenly, it starts to make a lot of sense that valve isn't particularly gung-ho about actually developing games anymore :thunk:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I also have a couple hours of playtime each on a lot of games i've never even installed, because i idled the steam cards ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lmao if you think you can put an infinite number of games on ignore

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Probably for the best.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

That is very sad to hear. God I loved that I game, I really did. It's one of the first big-name PC action games I ever played and man, was it worth every cent. They managed to get the guy who voiced Bruce Willis in my native language for the protagonist guy and it's wonderful. As many games as I play, there's only a handful I've ever completed. This is one of them. It's an experience I would recommend to anyone.

Ulukai, hey-ha!
Fun fact: Cutter Slade is voiced by "Bruce Willis" in both the German and the French version (and the devs are French), so the original resemblance is very much intentional :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sirtommygunn posted:

Dark Bramble.

????

I had to stop playing Outer Wilds for fear / anxiety reasons, but Dark Bramble was the ONE planet i did actually finish. It's the most relaxed place in the OW universe.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It was originally called Instant Deas, which is commonly known as a "KO" in our world

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm rather sure i only ever made it to the end of "act 1" or however they're separated, and it's been years so i don't remember anything, but i DO remember that the act 1 finale was pretty insane.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Maybe someday they’ll release those good games in a form extracted from their mmo trappings.

Funnily enough, because the MMO-ness is basically a pivotal point and part of the big "oh gently caress yes" of the Shadowbringers showdown, removing the online multiplayer component would ironically lessen the climax that's so highly acclaimed. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

aren't they all 13

No, they're actually all over a 1000 years old

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not a native speaker either and i caught on to the meaning as well.

The meaning is "dainty"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Open fewer tabs.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Comedy option: hacked switch running Android with Steam link

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I rediscovered Opus Magnum and worked on some more puzzles after getting stuck in like world 2 some years back.

https://i.imgur.com/QXApzYl.mp4

The game is so nice, it's like poetry in motion.

Finagling this thing to work took me almost two hours of tinkering, aligning and staggering the two track arms was way more difficult that it needed to be. Mostly because i had only two "feeding" arms at the start and it was hell to sync up.
And then i was stuck for like 20 minutes trying to figure out why the simulation aborted every time on the second loop and how the hell two arms grab the same atom the second time when they do the same thing as in the first loop. :v:
The first time i actually had to use the "Period Override" instruction.

But look at it go. :allears: It's like i'm actually weaving a string.

edit: i just noticed one of my two track arms is still a piston arm, a relic from before i implemented the round track. I can replace it with a static arm to save a bit of money...

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 9, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I could actually just listen to DOTA 2's Witch Doctor voice lines all day. Feelin good man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmZYgqBp1gI

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No need to explain your stance in Tyranny. Just glare at them silently until they shut up ಠ_ಠ

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah drat it. I was hoping Elden Ring was gonna suck so i didn't have to upgrade my PC

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1697700/Whos_Lila/

A detective adventure game where you control your facial muscles directly instead of selecting dialogue options. I don't think I have seen anything like this before.

When i read this, all i can hear in my mind is a high-pitched italian "Hellooo!"

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I see a lot of advice to *always* hold block, which makes it awkward to parry, or at least complicates the timing. Is this good advice?

Holding block is good to scope out enemies. Just hold and block some of their attack strings so you know what's coming, and how many times and in which interval they hit. Hold block when the enemy puts distance between you two, so your posture bar regenerates faster.
Once you got a handle on how the enemy moves, you can start to deflect.

It's important to not try to "tap" the button for deflects: as mentioned before, every time you put up a block and let it fall without deflecting an attack, the timing window for your next deflect gets shorter, so repeatedly tapping block in anticipation of an attack is a really bad idea.
If you want to deflect an attack, press the button and HOLD it until you actually see/hear the attack deflect - this is an important habit to form. If you miss the deflect window, at least you'll still block the attack instead of lowering your guard and getting hit in the face and caught in some attack string that costs 80% of your health.
Ideally, deflecting an attack shouldn't be you pressing the block button, it should be you RELEASING the block button.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Joe Man posted:

Can't the "preservationists" just download the N64 rom or original PC iso file somewhere? I'm surprised they haven't already.

Part of their business model is making sure that's not possible

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

There’s a developing photo mod at least: https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-photo-mode/

Clicked the link, was massively disappointed that it's not a mod about developing photos

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Croccers posted:

It's 2022, surely someone has designed an analog stick that uses what technology they used in the PS2/3 and Xbox/360 era?

I had 360 controllers that got wobbly but still didn't drift, I think at most it increased deadzone but gently caress even then those controllers lasted two years of Halo party thrashing.

Here you go:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm6HztfTxC4&t=364s
Start at 6:04 if the timestamp doesn't work.

The short answer: Capitalism. P. much all newer controllers use the same potentiometers for sticks and they're only good for a couple hundred hours of use.
There's probably higher quality ones the manufacturer could use, but no one wants to buy 90$ controllers

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hwurmp posted:

I have 2 games

no, those are gams

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

unless you're playing a localized version apparently :whitewater:

Oof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

anytime i see someone complaining about having to claw grip i smile keyboard and mouseishly

lol if you think controller users invented or monopolize a painful claw grip