Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

can you imagine if super meat boy was a metroidvania? well now you don't have to!

That does sound kind of fun, actually. In a game focused on purely that and designed around it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

cytoc posted:

I picked up Siralim 3 on my phone because we were traveling a lot throughout January. I ended up lucking into a pretty powerful combo that swept through the storyline. There's a heap of content past this, but I'm yet to really get deep into building and customising different line ups; there are seemingly some decent resources with breeding lists and traits lists but they were a pain to navigate through on my phone. Overall I enjoyed my time with this so far and have picked up on Steam to carry my save over at a later date (I do really appreciate the ability to transfer save from phone to pc).

Yeah, it's a fun game to play on your phone but even though the game has all the information in its in-game menus you really need to do some planning outside of the game on a bigger screen than a phone if you want to do the endgame stuff in it. I got it for my phone because I knew I liked it from the PC and it's hard to find fun games on Android. People complain about discoverability of Steam games, but Android is 10 times worse. Or there really just isn't much good stuff on there.

Back on topic:
I have a pretty neat setup right now where I'm comboing some cool stuff together to make my team instakill the enemy half the time like this:

Regalis
At the start of battle, your creatures that belong to this creature's class share their innate traits with each other. This trait does not stack.

Nether creature:
Nix Shadowjumper
When an ally dies, this creature attacks 4 random enemies.
Nether traits:
Scatter Shot - This creature's attacks deal 30% of the damage dealt to all enemies.
Charge - At the start of battle, this creature attacks 3 random enemies.
Empty slot

Unicorn Vivivier
This creature's attacks have a 50% chance to resurrect a random ally with 50% Health

Unicorn Thundercracker
This creature's attacks have a 50% chance to move a random ally to the top of the Action Queue.

Reclusive Wight
After this creature dies, it has a 50% chance to resurrect all allies with 35% health.

Apis Protector
This creature is immune to debuffs.

All this on a Chaos Mage that gives all sorts of bonuses to attacking. I gave all the non-Death creatures a Seed of Death so they're all Death creatures and all share their traits (not the nether ones) together. Synchronizing to the same class like that is a must if you're going to use Regalis' Avatar. I'm not sure that the Apis Protector is essential as continuous resurrection clears debuffs as well, but getting your turn coming up while under Scorn (can't attack) and Silence (can't cast spells) is super annoying. I had a slightly different team with Dread Wight (After this creature dies, it has a 50% chance to resurrect with 100% Health) instead of the Unicorn Thundercracker that focused a lot on never dying, but I kept getting owned by Elf Barbarians (The enemy creatures' effects that activate when they die are ignored.). Then I added the Thundercracker and gave my Nether creature Charge and now most battles end in my favor before I even get a turn. Does make it harder to extract cores. As my final Nether trait I want to get Piercing Focus (While this creature is below 80% Health, its attacks ignore the enemy Defense) but it comes from a special type of creature that's harder to find, which I didn't yet (and when I do find it my team will probably instantly kill it before I can extract it).

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

cytoc posted:

I started as a nature mage and once I got the ability to breed, bred up a team of moon hunters which got me through the story line really easily. The only change was to switch one of them out for a sphinx elder because I ran into this combo in the bar brawl. The team are currently around level 150 and I'm still progressing deeper with mobs around level 220 currently, I'm kind of waiting for this team to peter out before I dig into my resource collection to construct and breed something more effective including avatar and nether creatures.

I can't do bar brawls with my exact team, Avatar creatures are not allowed there I do believe. If I need bar brawls for prophecies I usually just swap out Regalis for my old Dread Wight, which wrecks my combo but still wins often enough to not really matter.

I don't think your team will peter out as such, as long as you stay on (your level) + 50% you will keep doing fine as you have been. But if you get a stronger team you can talk to that dude in your castle that allows you to make things harder in exchange for more loot, like every 10% damage reduction you give the enemy gives +25% loot which is great and the first few levels of that doesn't hurt that much, and once you have a good survival mechanic you can slide up enemy damage for another smaller bonus. It's good to consider what creature to make Nether as switching to another one is somewhat expensive, but it's also good to do it soon so that you can reap the rewards for having it. When you get a good loot modifier you can start gathering the Talismans you get from the God altars in realms for 100 of their emblems, some of which (Gonfurian, Tartarith) increase your loot even more. Getting Avatar creatures is a pretty hefty resource sink but once you do, those completely break the balance in your favor.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

cytoc posted:

How worthwhile is breeding up your creatures for the stat boosts? Is it something you really bother with for your core team, or is the boost not really with the effort into you're really min maxing the full setup with artifacts, etc?

It's not, really. There used to be a level cap for each creature that you could raise by breeding, but that made breeding mandatory and annoying, so it was patched out. Now all it does is change the heredity, which is a value that gives a 3% boost to a stat per point, up to a maximum of 15. But each + you get will get a corresponding - in another stat. Each creature will have an optimal setup that min-maxes their value (like maxing attack in exchange for intelligence for instance), but the 0 heredity version will perform fine. Also, as you get more +loot modifiers and more achievement points (achievement points unlock more rare loot, I don't know exactly how it works but higher is better) you will eventually start finding gene items which allow you to alter a creature's heredity without needing to breed it. I think you get a lot from prophecies (Dunno if you got those yet, they're special quests you can do that reward you each time you finish one). I only used breeding to unlock new creatures that I either couldn't find yet in the wild, or that can only be gotten that way. In that combo I posted I got the Nix Shadowjumper, Unicorn Thundercracker, Reclusive Wight and Apis Protector from breeding.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Orv posted:

As someone who also loves Diablo 1 to death - though I still love the ARPGs that have come since - this is an extremely insane thing to say given that Torchlight 1 is about as Diablo 1 clone as anything has ever gotten. Granted the gameplay is a little more modern than that.

Couple posts ago catlord ends up on Darkest Dungeon of all games as the best modern iteration of Diablo I. Which means catlord is looking more for theme, which is a valid thing to look for but framing it as "I'm looking for a game like Diablo I" without specifying that seems a bit off.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody has ever been banned from a Capcom game.

Installing a Trojan on all players' machines: cool and good.

Banning someone: going too far.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I've recently been getting back into Total War: Warhammer, the Moon Moon of Total War games. I loved the first one because it really goes all in on the fantasy setting and gives each faction a very unique feel. The undead that can summon massive extra hordes at will but get no ranged, the dwarves with powerful artillery but no mobility, the orcs that can charge their WAAAAGH and summon whole extra doomstacks out of thin air. After devouring the first one and doing the Skaven (I love Skaven), I let it sit for a while, the High Elves and Dark Elves weren't that appealing to me.

But now I got started on the Tomb Kings DLC and I'm loving it again, their mechanics are fantastic. So rather than the endless horde style undead that the TW: WH I undead uses, the Tomb Kings lean more into the "cannot be killed" aspect of undead (or "imperishable", as their leader Settra is called). Basically, you have a(n upgradable) maximum number of armies, but you can hire lords for free, recruit units for free, and you pay 0 upkeep. You are limited (by buildings) on how many of the good units you can make, and standard recruitment limitations apply, but it's theoretically possible to be fought back to 1 province, recruit all 5 your armies back and fill them up (it'll take ages and it will be mostly chaff, but still, it's possible). It's balanced so that you end up with about the same unit count as another faction at any point in the game (this is mostly annoying when fighting against these fuckers, it explains why Settra kept coming back with massive doomstacks as I tried to take all his regions and he had no more income), but it's just a really fun, different way to play the economic side of the game. Especially the regiments of renown are nice, no longer expensive, you just unlock them once and you can keep instarecruiting them for free, with a small cooldown.

I had the idea "Total War + Warhammer would be hella cool" ages before they actually made it and I'm so glad the games deliver on the potential.

There's also the series standard lol AI feature, in this game it's Lizardmen sending out full armies with nothing but Tyrannosaurs and Triceratops. No rank and file troops, no archers, no artillery, just 20 dinosaurs with one having a leader riding it charging your fortress.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

bentacos posted:

Why they didn't just call it Total Warhammer I'll never understand

People have raised this question again and again and I'm pretty sure it's pretty simple: CA wants the name "Total War" to feature prominently. Total Warhammer does kind of make it sound like it has nothing to do with Total War, or like Games Workshop is trying to lift on the Total War name with a legally just different enough name. Total War: Warhammer features both names distinctly, albeit with a slightly unfortunate name.

On the DLC: I've only started buying DLC after doing a full campaign with all the races included in the first game, so I've gotten plenty of bang for my buck. I got everything from bundles/on sale so I've spent maybe $60 on both games with a few of the DLC races. I don't really feel I've been fleeced on this one.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is that the one with Cherry Venus?

Nah, that was The Demon Rush and it had nothing to do with the French revolution. I looked it up a while ago because there was some amazingly funny goonmade content about it, and the guy is still making games. One for the PS4 no less. They all look terrible.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Orv posted:

(Sort of) Creeper World clones you say. :getin:

If you're interested in Creeper World like stuff, Mindustry might be interesting to you as well.

It is basically Tower Defense + Factorio.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

I think pretty much every major service now has Steam's terms or better.

Steam's terms are what they are because of consumer laws. They were first because they were the biggest and the first party the keepers of those laws went after. The only thing they did of their own volition is blanket apply their terms to the whole world, even where no such consumer laws exist. This may be partly for goodwill (imagine the hate if they implemented a refund system but then tell some people they're not getting to use it because their country's law doesn't force Steam to), but also because it's just easier to make it the same across the board.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Sininu posted:

I already got Shadow Of The Tomb Raider Def Edition, but actually not from Humble Monthly. Is the def edition in this package here worth 9 euros?
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/12231/Shadow_of_the_Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Edition/
It has the Croft and Deluxe extras and Def Edition upgrade.

That sounds like you did get it from Humble, they gave the non-dlc version for their monthly, and I'm not sure it is/was even possible to get without the dlc missions outside of Humble Monthly. Right now you can only buy the whole thing as a package, which is also leading to the naming nightmare where the base game is called the Definitive Edition but the dlc is called the Definitive Upgrade and you can buy a package deal with both of them but you can't buy the parts separately.

Because of the terrible naming I'm not quite sure what you do have, but if you mean you have the base game but not the extra dlcs, it's more of the same, meaning it's fine if you want more/expect to want more after you're done with the base game. It consists of 7 extra tomb puzzles which are about the same size as the base game tombs, each with some extra exploring/combat sections besides the tomb.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

tight aspirations posted:

They were the worst part of SC2 because it gave blizz the chance to vomit exposition at you :colbert:

Did Starcraft 2 not have a skip cutscene button? I've played through all of it (and Novert Ops) and had a blast, but I did my usual thing of ignoring all of the story.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Givin posted:

You guys are posting like the bar for entry is high at Blizzard/Activision.

It used to be (Blizzard, anyway). Their games used to be the gold standard for online multiplayer. I'm kind of sad that we're never getting another (good) installment of Starcraft or Warcraft.

With how they're running now though, I'm more surprised that they're still hiring new people at all than about any specific person they hired.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Putting the "king" in walking simulator.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s a good thing DoA6 is a 1 vs 1 game, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to tell the ladies apart if you changed hair colors. I mean, they all have wedding dresses, playboy bunny costumes. and sexy santa outfits.

You can tell them apart by the way their boobs jiggle.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

if it still has exploding arrows and dudes that go "GWOCKACHEECHEE--OOGUM KWAUGH--ABOO UWAAUuuuugh guh" when you headshot them, then it still holds up

Someone already took this key.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

AI War 2 is a pretty neat RTS/tower defense/hybrid THING that I like, it's worth a look!

Oh, thanks for the headsup, I thought that was the first AI War which I already have.

I took Planet Coaster for the DLC but already have the game:
00964-05C_L-9VHPH

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Remember when the really big games like Baldur's Gate 2 actually came in a 4+ slot jewel case with up to half a dozen CD-ROMs inside?

I guess with some modern games being 100+ GB downloads, even that wouldn't be enough anymore. Have fun switching disks twenty-five times.

100GB Blurays exist. Discs have actually kept up pretty well, despite being replaced by streaming and downloading.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Fell Seal is very good in that it feels basically exactly like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Fell Seal is excellent. It's Final Fantasy Tactics, basically. Definitely worth getting if you're getting this monthly.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Protip: going out into the forest and just picking real-world shrooms is free and you get to eat them afterwards. Just, uh, go to the library and borrow a mushroom guide first or something.

It's more fun than it sounds, really. Get some family or friends together and make some good memories.

Doesn't every healthy and tasty mushroom have an undistinguishable opposite that is instead lethally poisonous and indigenous to the same areas? Or is that just a trope I picked up from books/movies/games?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

ZearothK posted:

Hell yeah.

I'd go even farther and say that characters levels in general should be done with. They force the player to spend game time micromanaging equipment (not fun) and make it so part of the content becomes trivial if you're higher level (boooring) and part of it becomes too difficult if you're low level (frustrating, with the caveat that more system-driven games can make you feel like a badass/genius when you beat challenges you're not supposed to). I know "number go up" is a driving force of many games, but I feel in many titles it is actively detrimental to the game in question.

Using character levels to expand possible abilities (so there is a natural growth of player options) is good though.

The point of it is to make it so that you keep finding new, better gear. A common complaint of Diablo style looters is getting stuck with an underleveled weapon for far too long (see Borderlands) but the other extreme of finding the perfect gear in the first map and keeping that forever isn't that great either in a game that bases itself around collecting new items with cool new abilities, like Diablo does.

I agree that there's a lot of games that have adopted this system without too much thought as to whether it made that specific game better, though.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur, the combat was fun. The point about there being too many boring side quests is valid and true, but as a whole I thought the game was fine.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Gromit posted:

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the really good one.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think thats Sonic Mania

(I had fun with it at least)

Sonic Generations is from 2011, so not all that modern anymore, but it's the best one that has the non-retro over the shoulder perspective running levels (it also has retro sideview platform levels). Racing is great but it is a racing game, and Mania is purely old school style Sonic without the over the shoulder levels.

Back in 2011 I think the consensus was indeed that Generations was "the only good modern Sonic".

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

pentyne posted:

Man I miss Greenlight.

Greenlight was mostly good when it was 5 years of indie games denied access finally getting in but as time went on the average quality went down and tons of lovely games got in on a promise of giving every greenlight voter a free Steam key.

There was never a system in place that would have stayed good if it had been kept as is until today.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

Never buy games in Early Access.

I agree with your sentiment but disagree with this specific statement. I say buy Early Access games only if they are currently in a state that is worth the money you are paying for it.

There's a lot of half-finished crap that will never be updated again but some developers keep their excellent and basically finished products in Early Access until every last bit is super polished.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

The only really good thing about the switch to 3D in RTS is the ability to zoom.

You can zoom in the Command & Conquer remaster which is fully 2D.

I'd still say something like Starcraft II looks better because it's rendered in 3D (and 10 years newer), but it does kind of depend what you mean by 3D. You can basically just keep your top down view in it, there's very little 3D gimmicks in it. I still think the reason Street Fighter 4 was good is because they finally figured out you can have 2D gameplay with 3D graphics, you don't have to tack on 3D arena mechanics if the game doesn't need it.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Shrecknet posted:

There are a remarkable number of Steam curators that are either a bot that "curates" every game with the same quote (like "Batman Curator" who just responds "I'm the Goddamned Batman" to every game released) or are so wildly specific in their review criteria (the "does it have denuvo" types who only give a thumbs up/down based on that metric and no other qualities) that "number of curators" is a pretty terrible metric.

For the single quote ones I think the original one was the Commander Shepard one which was a moderately funny gimmick by itself, but since this is the internet the joke had to be run into the ground by dozens of copycats.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Hell yeah, Remnant: From the Ashes is free on epic next week! Glad I held off during the last steam sale.

Also this week is Wilmot's Warehouse for who's interested in that.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I'm not too afraid of any of the platforms I own games on dying. For my old XBox 360 and PS4 collection it is very possible I might not have working hardware or hardware that can connect to their platform that runs it anymore as all the games will have to be rebought as PS5 versions or some poo poo like that though. But for Steam, PCs will keep running them. And if Steam dies, there will undoubtedly be some competitor (Epic?) totally ready to buy them out and offer people to be able to keep their libraries on their platform instead. The massive userbase that would migrate over would be valuable enough to offset any cost for offering their existing game downloads to them for free.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They temporarily turned off auto-demolition for housing back in March.

I'm not sure if you can keep it while unsubbed but you don't have to log in to touch the house at least.

tfw your video game housing has better protections in place than your real life housing

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I think almost everyone would be happier if they dipped in and out of this (and service games) instead of feeling obligated to grimly grind through all the content just because it's there. Sometimes I find myself doing poo poo like grinding a gathering relic, remember I have no reason to do something so tedious if I'm not being paid for it, and have to force myself to stop having completionist brain. Obviously everyone's level of tolerance for and even enjoyment of grinds is different, and sometimes just finding something to do to pass the time is fine, but breaking out when it feels like an obligation is a good thing.

Like you said, it affected you as well. Speaking for only myself, it's not so much obligation as inertia sometimes. When I stop enjoying a game I have been playing a lot I keep doing it for a while out of habit. It takes a bit before I realize, hey, I'm not having fun anymore, time to call it quits. Which I do believe is by design, a lot of games have all kind of psychological tricks like daily things to keep you coming in and to make their game a permanent fixture in your mind.

I have had good times in MMOs (WoW and FFXIV mostly) in the past but I'm very reserved about getting into another one, not even because I'm afraid of addiction but just because it's such a massive time investment which used to be a selling point for me as a teenager but now it's a massive barrier I don't care to overcome.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

singateco posted:

Pricing FOMO: It works!

In an environment where the expectation is that the price will drop over time though, it's very important to create awareness of this. My modus operandi is to wishlist a game and wait for a good sale price, I have a massive backlog and I don't need all the new stuff today. Stuff like Call of Duty and very high profile indie stuff can make it reasonably well known that I can buy at the listed price but it's not coming down (or at least not anytime soon), but for many lower profile games I just wait a long time without realising how long it's been and then forget about the game if they follow that strategy.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I need a new Left For Dead type game. Already had my fill of:
Left for Dead 1 +2
Killing Floor 1
Vermintide 1 + 2

Looking for something that still has a healthy community and relatively quick matchmaking. Recommendations?

I've never played it so cannot vouch for it, but isn't Deep Rock Galactic in this genre? Maybe another goon can chime in on whether it is good (and whether it fits this genre well).

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Are the Bravelands games any good? They look like King's Bounty/HoMM style combat with a Newgrounds art style and no real overworld.

Well, you nailed what they are. The original trilogy is fun, yeah. Reception of the new, free to play Braveland Heroes is not so great.

Source: I've completed the entire original trilogy but never touched Braveland Heroes.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Not even dislike, with like 80% of people I find them perfectly amiable for a bit but I'm not particularly interested in talking to them for an extended period of time about non work subjects. And vice versa in most cases, luckily. And there's nothing wrong with that! I hate work outings where everyone is made to interact with everyone because some people think everyone needs to be everyone's friend.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Kinda weird how RTWP sounded totally great to me until I played a game with it for five minutes

Is it always terrible? It works fine enough in Total War games, but there you don't have to continously keep manually using spells and abilities with 6 different units I guess.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh boy, can’t wait for another month of thread titles that make it impossible to find anything that’s not already in my bookmarks (and even that requires some guessing sometimes)

I’m not averse to joke titles but at least put the actual game name in parentheses or something.

Obscuring poo poo with inside jokes so that newcomers have no idea what is going on is the goon way

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

I've got 4 I think. I got kinda turned off of it due to the whole "dictator" thing but you can slide it towards an actual "good" country?

You can make a pretty darn decent country for your citizens, actually! Much more equal and social than any real country. Free housing for all, free education, free healthcare. And you can hold elections without rigging them too so you don't have to be/stay a dictator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Maybe an unpopular gaming opinion itt but I prefer it when persuasion checks are on a per-character basis, what's the point of making a unique PC when you can just optimally pool all your stats together and never have to commit to a choice. That being said D:OS2 does allow you to change that in the settings so I expect it'll be much the same for BG3.

HOWEVER, what the game definitely needs is a way to decide which character is going to speak before you initiate a conversation. I can't tell you how many times I had to quickload a sequence in D:OS2 because the wrong guy proximity aggroed the dude I wanted to speak to.

If it's just "this char does all the lockpicking, this char does all the crafting, this char does all the trading" with no reason to ever deviate it is kind of stupid. It makes sense thematically but from a gameplay perspective it's just busywork, especially if you also have to swap items between their inventories to do those things.

If you want to make a system like that work I feel like the game systems should account for it. For instance if I'm playing a game where each character gets a limited amount of actions per day I'm fine with it, because then there is actual strategy/thinking involved, like I'll sometimes have to send my second best barterer to trade because my best barterer is also my best healer and today another character is sick and needs healing.