Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

zer0spunk posted:

https://bethesda.net/en/game/deathloop

ok, 100% sold. basically dishonored and prey smashed together built on a groundhog day frame.

Groundhog's Prey sounds like an amazing game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

That's basically Mooncrash, though.

I had a lot of fun with mooncrash!

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just the demo since it says "Game Preview"

I think game preview is how game pass marks out early access games?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

You're not missing out on much on Megaman X Pack 2 though. When are the Megaman Battle Network games coming?

This is the REAL question we need answered.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

MZ posted:

Same, Nioh didn't click with me and this is coming from someone who has played & enjoyed all of the recent FROM games.

I beat Nioh and the surge games after consistently bouncing off of every souls game I've tried to play. I feel like they're a lot more twitch based? Like I'm loading the verbs of the game into my impulses rather than my brain. Yknow I'm not like cognitively thinking "this is this attack, step back parry attack" just pressing the buttons on the controller. For ball boy, a strategy that worked for me on him (and all enemies because that's who I am) is to live inside him. It feels safer to try and keep your distance and dodge his swings but I found it a lot easier to just press against him and move with him. It's a lot shorter distance to go from in front to behind than it is to move along the outside radius of his attacks.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

How big is the preload for horizon?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Is Remnant good as a single player game?

I actually had a lot of fun with remnant single player. Maybe I've just had bad experiences with coop, but being able to take the game at your own pace, not worry about over or under levelling relative to people.

That being said, I did end up running a very fun pet / summon build so it almost was like I was playing coop in that dealing with adds / aggro ended up being very fun and fluid with my damage spread out across my minions.

Remnant is very fun, a lot more than I expected at first blush.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's my experience with it as well. I don't sit down and play it for hours at a time but if I boot it up I always have a good time. The shooting is basic in a way I really like, it feels very... clean, I guess is the word I would use. Everything from where your shots will go, to your fire rate, to your damage falloff at range is super predictable and it makes things very fast and intuitive.

Yeah that's the experience for me too. The core moment to moment gameplay experience is solid. Satisfying gun feel. Good sounds. Mechanically well put together.

Diablo-esque loot games generally put me off. I feel like a lot of them suffer in the gameplay department trying to hook you on to their loot treadmills, but remnant is just so solid start to finish.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

remnant barely has loot or interesting character progression. It's not a bad game but I would not go to it looking for a loot fix.

Which is to say that if you're not a fan of loot treadmills, it's good to go. For me the comparison is grinding maps for mob drops and to get to the random bosses through random maps. I think the real gamers in the audience can understand the diablo gamefeel comparison

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

sebmojo posted:

it is the weirdest loving thing to be (apparently) extremely mad about

what's the proposed solution? legislated minimum price? warning signs? how do you deal with the inevitable black market of monster hunters buying cheap weapon danglies off each other?

I feel like your posts on this topic have universally sucked poo poo brother.

With regards to both your posting and predatory shop practices I think that a solution could be social, ie : hey this sucks poo poo and I think you should stop doing it.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Why is this free

But this costs $4+tax?

Why isn't it the other way around?

I mean you'd think all of the effort and work to create, animate, and implement that model was done in the first instance, right? So why does the crowd who purchase the second instance subsidize the content for the first?

I think, personally, that it's fairly clear. There'd be riots in the streets! $5 for a new monster? Preposterous! $5 for a little model? Well... if people want it, who am I to judge?

After posting, I felt like my point might be a little oblique for some people, and wanted to clean it up and clarify. Essentially, I think that people, generally, have a blind spot towards how the content they enjoy is paid for. My feeling is that people who do not feel any compulsion to purchase obviously overpriced content (and if you don't believe that $4.52CAD for a model of a monster is overpriced, well, I've got a bridge to sell you) believe either that nobody will buy it, except for those who can cleanly afford it (That's what I'd do!), or that people who do buy it, and can't afford it are simply making a bad choice, and that's fine too.

My stance is that this is wrong, that people know that it's wrong instinctually, and that they'd be against it if it was presented in a form that was weaponized against them. Since, instead, it is targeted only against those more vulnerable than them, it is easy to ignore or rationalize away.

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 29, 2020

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

I've had DAEMON X MACHINA on my wishlist for a while now, seeing if it would go on sale, which it just did. Is it worth playing if I liked the Armored Core 4 games, and on that level of quality?

I played through that game and it kept me engaged, but I wouldn't necessarily go in looking for like... Good mech gameplay. You're extremely mobile, dashin around shooting guns. It's serviceable, but never felt revolutionary. I kept going to see just what the hell the story was going to do next, since I didn't know at the time that Jesus christ did they cut a lot of it out. Seriously, things are going to whiz out of the dark at you, seem important and meaningful for a second and then disappear without a trace. This disjointed story is oddly compelling, but it's definitely a fraction of a fraction the story (and game) they wanted to tell.

I forget if it's a novel or an art book but they have all the story put together from making the game so you can go and do some remedial reading if you want to make sense of it later.

Overall? I mean I had fun? I played the game through to completion? Just be aware the story is never going to come together, at any point.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

It turns out how you respond to a major company voluntarily making a change following a small request is a fairly reliable barometer for being an rear end in a top hat.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I thought their justification was pretty convincing, actually.

Yeah I agree.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Sab669 posted:

I barely dabbled with HZD the week and a half leading up to CP2077 coming out.

This isn't really related but since I saw these titles in a post together I'm going to use it as a jumping off post to talk about relative bugginess in these games.

This is with the caveat of course that this is only my experience, if your games ran worse or ran better that's completely valid but this is how it was for me.

I played Horizon Zero Dawn on pc release (and previously on PS4) and I've also been playing (maybe 15 hours so far?) Cyberpunk 2077 on pc. I've seen a lot of what I would call false equivalence when people talk about Cyberpunk being 'buggy' and I wanted to use my own personal experience with a game that definitely had a rocky technical launch to compare.

HZD crashed on me, in my entire campaign playthrough of the main game and dlc - maybe twice? Resulting in maybe 25 total lost minutes of progress. There was in my time playing it a major bug (snow deformation in the frozen wilds simply did not work at all, unless you were wearing the special post-game armor) which, since I hadn't played the dlc on PS4 and so didn't know really what I was missing I really didn't even notice?

Cyberpunk, in comparison, is broken from top to bottom. While the game hasn't yet crashed to desktop it often locks in quests, with dialogue failing to trigger, action setpeices either not loading or not loading completely leading to no audio or no effects or no animations. Generally these will clear up with a reload, which to me I feel wastes just as much time as a crash and so I regard them to my play experience as equivalent.

You will not have, at any point, a smooth and clean experience. At all times in some way it is breaking. Maybe a car that you've seen turn the corner and drive the entire length of the street towards you is still a blocky mess. Maybe Johnny has appeared to talk to you, you must assume, since he's been staring at you in silence for the last 5 minutes. Maybe he is talking, puffing on a cigarette that probably should be in his hand and not floating in the air a foot away but you can't be sure.

I feel like it needs to be emphasized that this isn't a generally well made game that, like seemingly all new releases, has some problems. This whole thing is a broken mess on a scale that frankly boggles the mind.

That's not to say the 'game' is bad! Or that I'm having a bad time (except for the times I'm waiting in the mandatory once per mission save reload to fix some new issue that's popped up)

It is to say though that people trying to dismiss the issues with other comparable releases are either deluding themselves or have some supreme luck such as that I'd advise them to spend their time trying the lottery and not posting.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Sab669 posted:

75 Hours in, so far I've experienced:

* Comedic but in no way game breaking model clipping or silly things like "cigarette still floats in air after being dropped"

I appreciate that your experience has been moderately more stable, as a corollary to the above - how often would you say you get these? Do you feel like you'll notice something every 5 minutes? 15?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

no more then any other game of this kind, I'd say.

the experience has been smooth for me.

I feel like I need to ask you to be specific, what games are you thinking of? I don't remember anywhere near the ubiquity of bugs in similar games like GTA, rdr2, the new breed of assassins creed (and even they're known for bugs ie facelessness), I cannot think of any open world RPG (except, yknow, Legion) that even approaches this

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

I can think of animations glitching out on a lot of titles, including uhhh all of those you just listed. It's a thing. Particularly on shittier/older hardware.

Like, I get you must have had a really some weird lovely time or are being incredibly hyperbolic but on my end glitches top out at the odd physics-related wonkiness or an animation not firing so there's a milisecond of a t-pose or the like.

As I said in my post this is just my experience on a fairly high end pc. By no means do I think that I'm alone though, and even as I said I'm not having a terrible time like

It's ok to say the games broke as

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

h_double posted:

That makes sense though, people smell bad if they don't bathe or change their clothes.

Yeah but the point is that being that dirty is also what gives you a bonus to talking to women

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Sloppy posted:

I picked up Synthetik since it's on sale, and wow, super fun in that Nuclear Throne kind of way.

I purchased this and refunded it because it had essentially non-existent controller support. The killer for me is that it had 0 deadzone, and no ability to modify one. I've got an Xbox controller, which is to say it's got a tiny stick drift, which made synthetik unplayable. Do you know if there's a deadzone setting now?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

The biggest issue with d:os, a game that I love, to me, is this poo poo

The maps have very specifically gated level zones, but with zero signposting for where they are or the appropriate way to progress. Like if you just keep walking down the beach you'll go through your level 1 area, dip into the level 2, oops all level 6 and you're dead. You like need to have that image open on another monitor so you know where you're basically allowed to be going at any point.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

What are everyone's impressions of Mass Effect - Legendary edition?

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind having the whole series on steam, without loving around with Origin and Bioware points.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm going to bother to replay any time soon, so the price if way too high. Particularly if it introduces new bugs or whatever (or fixes the old bugs - I kinda want infinite paragon \ renegade points on the ice planet)

Honestly I like it a lot. Mass Effect 1 is great now. You can use all the weapons with any class, weapons are actually different ala ME2 so you can find yknow fast firing assault rifle, burst, single shot. Having all the DLC integrated is nice, I feel like there should be like "Hey, don't do the DLC as soon as they tell you you can" but yknow ayy lmao live your life I guess

oh! It doesn't support dualshock 4/5 natively, use DS4 Windows and it works perfectly fine. Just a little tip from me 2 u

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 26, 2021

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I forgot to respond to this earlier - what do you mean by the weird lead VA work? What's weird about his voice?

I beat the game but I'm not that person but if I'd have to speculate I'd assume they mean his completely unhinged rants that just kinda happen in the middle of nowhere. Like you'll be sneaking around and he'll snarl like "I'm gonna fuckin kill you!"

Edit ayy my phone didn't update the thread but also ayy I was right

Orv posted:

Nooooo, not really? The VA for Deacon is phoned in is as hell, it just has this weird vocal quality to the phoning in that makes it unintentionally bizarre.

This though I don't agree with like -at all-. I think there's a lot of things you could say about his voice work on the game but phoned in is just not in the conversation.

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 9, 2021

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

I've started playing Ni No Kuni 2 and while I'm still early days in the plot the beginning like hour had me cracking up. You start as the elderly president of the off brand America called the union. You're driving across the golden gate bridge when, oops, a nuclear missile passes overhead and slams into the city. The city erupts into a mushroom cloud, the shockwave flinging your car rolling it end over end.

You begin to crawl out of the wreckage of your limousine before you're mysteriously teleported away to another world.

You get teleported in in a younger body into the catboy kingdom currently beset by a ferret and fuckin rat revolution. You're beset by sword wielding rat guards - what's a president to do? Obviously, you pull out your 9mm pistol and put that rat into the ground.

I didn't play ni no kuni 1 but the plots aren't directly related afaik. The gameplay battle system is much more actiony for 2 so I'm having a lot of fun but the beginning was just so funny.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Nordick posted:

Anyone familiar with this game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1272160/The_Life_and_Suffering_of_Sir_Brante/

I saw a streamer play through the prologue, and it seems like a really fascinating game. Has some really cool fantasy worldbuilding, and I really love that whole classic literature pathos aesthetic. I'm considering buying the game, but if anyone has any scuttlebutt about whether I should or shouldn't, I'd gladly hear it. I mean stuff like whether or not it somehow falls apart later on, whether the devs are shitheads, etc.

Yoo I watched the twitch sensation NorthernLion play through a bit of that and it also seriously piqued my interest. I'm also interested in hearing more about this.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm sad to inform you that you're past the last actually cool bit of plot. They shove all the cool stuff right at the start to make you expect further wild shenanigans and then it just becomes a boring plot the rest of the way.

This is immensely disheartening

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

The Joe Man posted:

Meant to post this in here originally:

I've got a DS5 just for the pc and one hellful tip I'll pass along to you is that ds4windows supports the DS5. You've gotta get the most up to date one on Github. This is important because a lot of games don't recognize the controller but do support an Xbox controller. Ds4windows fixes this problem.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Instead of trying to actually engage yall are just trying to score internet points instead with pithy comments, which admittedly is the note I also started on,
I think you're just talking like a weird rear end in a top hat from the jump. Why not just talk like a normal person. Hey op if you like dbd, you might also like these slow methodical board games. You legitimately might add me on tabletop simulator let's play Fury of Dracula, a game I've never ever played or won, wink.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

I enjoyed both Surge games. As someone for whom the dark souls games were just too slow there's a real frenetic energy to the surge games where you can feel like the tasmanian devil or some poo poo and just run people down overwhelming them with attacks while also engaging yknow with the parry and dodge and stuff like that. Also there is just some level of visceral satisfaction with ripping enemies apart to take their equipment. That's a nice arm you've got there... I think I'll take it!

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

Dragon's Dogma really nails the fantasy of all the classes. The fast, slippery dagger classes are FAST. The warrior with the huge gently caress off berserk sword? You're THROWING people around, one swing of your massive weapon plasters mobs. The sorcerer's magic is intense. There's absolutely nothing like the kind of magical murder you can whip out.

Quests and story can be missed, but, the game has a perfectly functional and flavourful new game plus system so I recommend just tearing into the game the first time through and ploughing to the fun stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

I like that daemonhunters is using the overwatch fields that I first noticed in gears tactics. It's much more interesting having locked down fields of fire vs "don't move in any area in a 500ft sphere around me" also makes your positioning more important