Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I rarely post in this thread but wanted to pop in to say that the Outer Wilds is so good, I love it.
You should get it too if you don’t already have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I wanted to play it but it turns out it terrifies me to my core. I got as far as landing on the dark-rear end moon and looking around in darkness triggers the danger sense of my brain and keeps it on, its extremely unpleasant. I'd be open to actual suggestions and to how I can get over this fear. I'd like to be able to play this and Subnautica, they both look like fun, but I just can't handle them :(

That's rough, these things are never logical and I feel for you :glomp:
The main thing to know is that Outer Wilds is about puzzles and exploration, it's not a game where you fight. You don't have a weapon and there isn't anything that is waiting to attack you in the dark. You do die a lot because you are in a time loop and you get reset but your deaths are environmental, you run out of air, you take too much fall damage, you fall into a black hole and float in space until your air runs out, the sun goes supernova etc (I don't know if that makes it better or worse for you!). Your character treats this as another puzzle, why am I in a time loop, what's going on here? your deaths are a mechanic and part of the puzzle.

I haven't come across too many dark areas in the parts of the game I've played so far, that moon is dark and there's a water planet where the sea is murky, you have a flashlight, you could also turn your gamma down so that it's physically brighter for you on your screen maybe.

I don't know whether any of this helps you, but I did want to try and maybe other goons who have played it could add on to it for you.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Triarii posted:

I also found it pretty unsettling to stand on the surface of Ember Twin, with the gigantic sun passing overhead right there goddamn

There's also the generally present threat of making a mistake that sends you drifting away into space without enough fuel to get back to a planet, floating helplessly as you slowly run out of air.

If you go and talk to Gabbro a second time on his island on the water planet he teaches you to meditate which is basically a reset button for your loop, you wake up back in the village without having to wait to die. Really handy.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

sauer kraut posted:

I don't remember the tutorial or whether it limits where you can travel at first, but Odysseys map.. small :aaa:
If you started in Sparta and let your horse auto gallop to Amphipolis, pretty sure that would take like an hour. Then there's the other half of the map with a hundred islands.

Yeah, Odyssey starts you off on Cephalonia which is tutorial island in the same way that White Orchard is the tutorial area in Witcher 3. Then you can go to Ithaca, then you realise that you have the entirety of Greece at your disposal. All of it, the mainland, all the island groups and Macedonia too, and there is a lot of stuff to do everywhere.
The map is huge.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thanks for the messages about the spam, it's not actually me sending the spam out, so sorry.
I've just changed my password so hopefully that will stop them as I have 2 factor auth on.

Let me know if they don't stop.