Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

OzFactor posted:

I feel like this is going to be the main problem I'm going to have playing... any of these games that came out before Hades, a game that in and of itself isn't particularly innovative (apart from leaning very heavily into building a narrative around its roguelike loop, which I guess I really like because see above for how much I liked Mooncrash) but really just takes what is absolutely best about all of these games and puts in 110% on all of them. I feel like the only negative thing anybody ever says about Hades is "man, I'm through the plot now and have everything unlocked and it's getting a bit stale!" Which people only say after they play it for a hundred hours.

When you've finished Hades once, you've seen 90%+ of the gameplay it has to offer, every run after that is gonna have the same enemies, the same bosses (with one particular challenge modifier changing them up a little), and mostly the same boons.
This can be done in less than 8 hours if you are bad. It also doesn't help that most of the melee weapons play very similarly.

It's amazing the amount of beautiful art and narrative polish they put into it, but the gameplay is very shallow for a roguelike. It also gets extremely grindy if you try to go for the "true" ending or the hidden aspects. I got to around 50 wins until I realized I hadn't been enjoying it for the last 10 hours, and just uninstalled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Serephina posted:

I mean, developed and published are two different things entirely. Why punish the devs for their publisher they chose ages ago?

re: Hades, I think it's a game that's suffering from it's own success. People hear about how amazing and popular it is, try it out, find that it doesn't scratch their particular brand of brain worms, and decry it as poo poo and poo. I mean... you can't make a game that does everything for everyone. I love Hades and think it's a masterfully done at what it is, and I also know if there where changes such as keeping the gameplay loop fresh at the 100th hour, there'd be people complaining it gated content behind grind or whatever.

I don't slam dunk into FIFA threads saying their product is poo poo, how could they enjoy fake-kicking a ball around, and once you've won one tournament you might as well uninstall etc. Because I don't like FIFA games no matter how well made they could be, and so I don't play them. My particular brand of brain worms are very refined, thank you very much.

Eh, I played Hades back in early access, before it got much press, and I posted about the same issues then. It didn't change much on release.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

nordichammer posted:

I haven't ventured further into my rogue like list yet, but I do have another question.

Does anyone have opinions on Crying Suns or Darksburg from Humble Monthly? I'm probably going to pause this month unless those two are something special. I already have Kiwami 2, and I have yet to play any Darksiders game

I gave a quick impression of Crying Suns back when it first released:

quote:

Ok so I put a fair amount of hours into Crying Suns now and here are my thoughts:

Artstyle is really cool, it meshes 3D and sprites very well and creates some really visually pleasing scenarios.
Story is neat! Kept me interested in pushing forward to see what was going on.
Game is a lot more simplistic than FTL. Once you figure out the formula, you'll probably never die again. I died twice while learning the ropes in the first chapter, once to the second boss, then never got close to dying again until the very final boss (And that boss is bullshit, I might add).
The enemy AI is overly aggressive and predictable with its units, making it really easy to exploit. Facing an enemy ship with a stronger initial fleet than you? Just put up some counters, keep back until you clear them out, then move forward and take out their bay and weapons while their ships are down. This works for pretty much every enemy through the entire game.
The planetary expedition action is hilariously powerful in how many resources it gets you, and gets easy to abuse once you build up a decent library of special officers.
The game never really... gets any harder. If you can beat the second chapter, you can beat them all (maybe with the exception of the final boss, which is, as mentioned, bullshit), and also:
The game never really... gets any different. Only difference between the chapters is that you meet more of that factions ships (and since any type of ship can show up in any chapter, just at lower rates, they all end up feeling the same). Most events are shared among all chapters, with the exception of a seemingly handful of story related events that you'll probably only see once.

All in all, it's not an evergreen game like FTL, and I'm probably not gonna come back to it much once I finish the story, but I'd still say it's an enjoyable experience and don't regret the purchase. It's definitely a lot more story-driven than FTL, and doesn't try to hide it, so if that sounds like your thing, go for it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 20, 2020

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Heh, I got one of those messages from an old steam friend a month back or so.

Never knew it was a scam, I just didn't click the link because I'm lazy.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Saoshyant posted:

In a fair world, the only game that could possibly win that award is Terraria. Which doesn't stop loving updating for free nearly a decade later.

Hollow Knight

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

The open world of GTA5 is much better than its competitors, but the writing is mediocre at its best.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Shame. I enjoyed that way more than I ever enjoyed Overwatch.

Gearbox once again ruins everything.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

RDR2 is a dadgame. Every action is as arduous and laborious as possible, probably to build character.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

I played it for a while a couple of months back, it's pretty fun.
It's more class based than BB, and instead of speccing into perks, you use mutators extracted from enemies to customize your characters in various ways. The combat is also more "positioning"-based than the squad strategy of BB, with a lot of characters focused on knocking enemies around or repositioning themselves.
It's also not quite as open ended as BB. You have a story, and goals to aim for, and all movement happens between nodes on the main map.

Still, if you like the combat of BB, I can absolutely recommend it, I had a lot of fun with it. Should probably try it out again now that it's officially out.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Angry Lobster posted:

Is combat as deadly as in BB?
Actually, yes and no. I'd say your characters are probably more likely to die every now and then than BB, but when they die in combat, they just get "injured", which means you have to spend some medical supplies, and gives them the "injured" debuff for a set amount of turns. They have to actually die again while injured to die for good, but you can just bench them for the duration if you have some backbenchers ready.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Wind and Wilting Blossom - I finally played it and woah, I am having to fight my brain on this one. I love the small-scale tactical battles and unlocking new stuff as you play the game, but I HATE the FTL structure, as you move from nodes and if you take too long you get attacked constantly. I shouldn't mind it here because it's a neat balancing act between mastering the battles, getting more resources and moving on, but due to being burnt by FTL so badly I already want to uninstall it.
I tried this, but it just doesn't have the depth or feel of other games of its type. There is a very limited set of maps, units, and enemies, so it gets kinda boring after a while.
Edit: Also, the main quest is the same every time, so you are gonna see the same exact story events and battles every time you play it.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 27, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

I'm gonna be that guy and say that the Crosscode story and gameplay bored me so much that by the time I hit the point where it apparently was supposed to "get interesting", I was so burned out I just kinda stopped playing and never picked it back up.
Some of the dungeons also way overstayed their welcome.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

GrandpaPants posted:

I picked up Crosscode with its DLC, but man, they really uh, didn't do a good job actually hooking you into any sort of plot, did they? It doesn't help that the first few places that I've played so far are just full of like, collectathon quests. The environmental puzzles are pretty cool though, but I can see it being kinda exhausting after a while.

The interesting parts start about 20 hours in, have fun

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Loop Hero is... decent? I'm not sure if it'll be the next big thing, but I'm sure it'll be fun until it's over at least.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Ghostlight posted:

Why aren't you guys playing the Necromancer, the absolutely most baller class in the game?

Because he's insanely slow

-This post made by the Rogue Gang

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

perc2 posted:

Siralim Ultimate is out, I wishlisted it because it looked genuinely odd and it turns out it's not bad, there's a lot of content but I can't say for how long the formula will hold up.... but I kinda like grinding in a weird chill way so YMMV

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289810/Siralim_Ultimate/

It's a game designed to be a timewaster. If you like to endlessly theorycraft various builds based on a million different creatures, classes, items and various other modifiers, this is the game for you.
The combat itself is a blur, but the real meat of the game is in preparing and putting together teams.

Edit: You can literally create macros for each of your monsters, and set it up so you can do all fighting by holding down one button. There are also classes based around doing this.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 13, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Commander Keene posted:

Game idea: Splatoon, but you just have normal guns and there are enemies you can kill to paint the stage.

I think I played an old flash game like that at some point.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Yup, story and humor in Siralim is godawful, but fortunately it seems pretty much gone by post-game.
Speaking of, I'm getting my rear end handed to me by some of these nether bosses.

Picked up Grovetender, and having a single monster that buffs itself to 10x the stats by turn 3, while simultaneously draining the stats of every single enemy, is pretty fun.
Now I just need to find some way to deal with it getting confused and scorned constantly.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Yeah, I had to force myself to pick something other than tribalist this time around, since I played that way too much with the earlier version. Went with Trickster to start with, which was fun, if pretty unpredictable and chaotic at times.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Yami Fenrir posted:

I think there may just be some actual infinite attacking loops now.

Gryphons have a gryphon that attack whenever another gryphon attacks. Doesn't stack with the same trait, but you can pick up Sidewinder (follow up attack on a crit), all the centaur stuff, Valkyrie scout, etc)

If you pair that with the wolpertinger that casts a matching scourge spell whenever you attack... oh dear.

I started with hell knight, but got stuck at some point and decided to make a gryphon team.

Holy poo poo, gryphons.
How does your Gryphon build deal with modifiers like "Team starts with debuff: Scorned/Cursed" or high reflect damage? On my current trickster build they are the bane of my monsters, since they crit for 60k+.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Rogue is better for farming metal early on, but later when you can fill the entire stage with mobs, warrior or necro should be better.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

goferchan posted:

I thought this was kind of cool -- I don't know if anybody's been following, but some random guy solved an issue with the insanely bad loading times in GTA Online and released a fan patch that brings them down from upwards of 6 minutes to less than 2. Within a few days Rockstar officially implemented the fix, shouted out and thanked him publicly, and most importantly, according to his update on that page, sent him $10,000. I know they have more money than God but that's a pretty sweet little payday for somebody who was just trying to figure out a way to load into GTA Online faster, and I'm so used to people being like permanently banned and receiving legal threats for this kind of poo poo, so that outcome made me smile
Eh, 10k is nothing for a firm of that size, there's a reason why the big tech firms love bug/vulnerability bounty hunters.

Better than the C&D they usually send to the GTA modders at least.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

They also tried some sort of Walking Dead spinoff IIRC.

Also, the company has been in some poo poo for a while. Weren't they raided because some of the bosses were involved in some tax shenanigans or something?

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

jimmydalad posted:

My life has been taken over by the deck builder Chrono Ark. Itís still in early access, but the mechanics are so good and Iíve never felt so quickly sucked into a game like it.

Have you managed to beat the final boss yet? I've had this game for a while, and while I managed to beat it regularly before, the new boss they released late last year is... pretty rough.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Increasingly unclear on why classes that arenít the necromancer exist in loop hero

Broken Cog posted:

Because he's insanely slow

-This post made by the Rogue Gang

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

jimmydalad posted:

EDIT:
Iíve beaten the boss with every character on Normal mode. Expert Iíve only reached once and I got absolutely destroyed when I got there. The final boss is hard as hell and I did need a few runs to really work out the stages and what they expect out of you. Most successful battles end with just 1 or 2 people clinging onto dear life as they get the last bit of damage.

Charon is OP though.
Oh yeah, Expert mode, should have specified.

Yeah, he's rough. Feels like you need both good strategy as well as a fair bit of luck when going up against him.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 22, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Just got a message from Strongmouse as well, so the impersonator is still going.
Reported the profile as hijacked, though I have no idea how much of a difference it makes.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Been watching some gameplay of It Takes Two, and I have to say it looks extremely good and fun.
Wasn't much of a fan of A way out, but I might just have to pick this up.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Fargo came out in 1996.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Isn't that "Don't sell poo poo for cheaper elsewhere" rule exclusively for games that use Steam integration stuff?

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Gort posted:

I constantly see Steam games on sale for less money elsewhere so the idea that Steam fixes your minimum price rings false to me
Yeah same. I've heard about that rule, but it always felt like either it was only enforced under very specific circumstances, or Valve just doesn't care.

Are there any good examples of it being enforced?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 30, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

The cutscenes drop off a LOT after the first few hours and then it's nonstop hiking simulator

And then they come back with a vengeance near the end.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Watching companies try to bin legitimate criticism together with the deranged lunatics that take things too far always leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
At least with this newest EU4 DLC pretty much everyone is aware of how much they hosed up. Sometimes things are broken enough that you can't just brush it aside.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Darkrenown posted:

As Orv says, but also I think it's real lovely to release Lev in the state it's in - I just thought it was a fun Av/post combo.
Yeah honestly, I wasn't trying to single out you in particular, sorry if it came across like that. There's been some dev posts over the past couple days combining generic corp-speak apologies with "Let's keep it civil" type arguments when people are understandably upset with the quality of the DLC.

Edit: are the forums extremely slow today, or is it just on my end?

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Disco Elysium has the rare occurrence of well written, intelligent, funny, and self aware writing that is just lightyears above most of the stuff you usually find in games. It also has some very beautiful water-color art.

However, as far as gameplay go, it's "merely" competent. It does it's job well, and it is a very engaging roleplaying game, but It mostly is thanks to the writing.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

In gaming circles if people really like a game they tend to proselytize it like it's the second coming, even if it's just Extremely Good. Every once and a while a game comes along - Undertale, Disco Elysium, probably others that I forget, Witcher 3 maybe? - that people push so hard and act like you're insane for not playing it that it's kind of off-putting. I think that's what most people have been saying about DE here. It's a very, very good game merely by having actual writing instead of video game writing but people definitely went berserk for it for a while there.

Other examples include Nier, Hades, FO:NV, Prey, etc etc...

It's a meaningless and undefinable label that you can slap on anything to be Cool and Smart

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

zoux posted:

Disco Elysium is like a point and click adventure game right
Kinda, if you replace all the puzzles with more dialogue.

Honestly, it's more like Planescape:Torment if you took out all the combat.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And replaced it with CSPAM.
Nah, I did say the writing was self-aware.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

zoux posted:

So it's a visual novel?
I was about to say that it could probably technically fit into that category, but there is actually a game wrapped around all the dialogue and writing, so no.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

Antigravitas posted:

ÖI really want to play this again. It ruled.

A sailing sim to rival Sid Meier's Pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

We're all friends here

M+Kb works just fine for the DS games, though you need the DSFix patch for DS1 because lol Fromsoft ports. It's not hard