Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also I just remembered that the jump attack and kick(or whatever the parry break was) flat out didn't work with mouse/kb in DS2 unless you modded it because again lol port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ultrafilter posted:

I'm not all that wild about the new Helltaker content. It's more of the same with the difficulty turned up to 11. If that's your thing you're gonna love this, but it wasn't for me.
At least it's very short, I think I got through it in less than 30 minutes.

That last boss has got so much poo poo going on at the same time, though it also has some fairly generous checkpoints.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BrianRx posted:

Anyone grab it yet? I played a ton of the first one in early access and burnt out before release so I've never finished the story. I don't think I'd be interested in "more of the same", but it would be cool to go into a Subnautica game blind with a few improvements.

From what I've watched of it thus far, it does seem to be more of the same. Doesn't look bad though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

If I have Subnautica, played through it a long time ago in early access, and don't remember a lot of the details, is it worth 30 bucks to get Below Zero or should I just re-play Subnautica?

First game is probably still the best, I'd recommend giving that a swing first, then pick up B0 if you crave more.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GreatGreen posted:

What's the deal with the RPG "Two Worlds" that's on sale for $3.99 right now?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1930/Two_Worlds_Epic_Edition/

Wasn't there a big Goon following for this game several years back?

It has the dubious title of "Best worst game"

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Dark Souls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a5JZVf0Xsk

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Play posted:

There's some discussion in the new games thread and one other, maybe the epic thread. I played for a few hours last night and it's... interesting. It's essentially an idle game with the barest of gameplay mechanisms begin mining these blocks down into different planets and asteroids to eventually reach the core. Every upgrade of anything basically goes to making your drills dig faster and live longer.

It's kind of cute, and there is that dopamine rush of upgrading a lot of different things, but the lack of gameplay means it is basically a slight-more-involved idle/clicker game. If that sounds good to you then by all means
It honestly almost feels like a flashgame, the gameplay is so simple. The character art is nice though

Also, is there even an ending?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Below Zero just doesn't do enough new things to grab me. The only thing really seems to be more overworld stuff, but it's not what the game was made for, and can be pretty awkward.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Shop aspects of moonlighter are so simplistic it might as well not have been in the game imo. It doesn't really have any of the charm of Recettear even though the pixel art is nice, there's no real personality to the town.
The dungeon delving is passable. Nothing spectacular, but it works.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The UI for Biomutant really reminds me of what I remember of Fortnite.

Edit: Is there no weight to anything in this game?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 25, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Pyre was extremely boring, and the story was really not as interesting as people are trying to make it out to be. I also think it's their weakest game as far as OST goes.

Pretty art though, but that really goes for all their games.

SGGs biggest issue to me is that they seem to be a studio of artists that are really mediocre at actual gameplay design.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 2, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GrandpaPants posted:

The Last Spell is out in EA. I'm interested in the premise, but less so having to chew through that many mobs in a SRPG format, which makes it sound like the game can be quite tedious. Did anyone bite the bullet and check it out?
I picked it up and am having a lot of fun with it so far. Haven't really gotten that far into it yet though (night 4), because the metaprogression is pretty heavy, and the game is Hard As Nails.

Even with the amount of enemies that shows up, it doesn't really feel tedious, since all your characters can chew through them like butter. The danger comes from being overwhelmed by the sheer number of mobs that show up each night.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the NMH games have a very neat visual style, but they aren't particularly fun to play.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I really liked RE8 until about halfway in or so, then it just became a mess. The factory in particular was just an absolute slog.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Oh I remember a dev video of this popping up in my youtube feed some time back, something to look forward to.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any opinions on Ender Lilies? Souls-like 2d metroidvania (I know I know...) with overwhelmingly positive reviews. Seems to have released today.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm actually surprised that it has so many reviews for a game that comes off as "cult classic" or whatever. I imagine some streamer got their hands on it and spread the word, but drat that's a lot of reviews for Jojo's Bizarre Metroidsoulsvania.
I bit the bullet and picked it up. It's honestly not bad, though the combat isn't as meaty as Hollow Knight or Dead Cells (tbf I didn't expect it to be). It has that issue where there is feedback on your hits, but it still feels like all your blows go straight through enemies.

Play posted:

Personally I didn't like the kind paper-cutout, flash-style graphics and also found the game really hard with very little reward. But I'm an idiot and a baby so I say that about a lot of games
I see where you're coming from, not a huge fan of the paperdoll style myself, but I honestly find the graphics better than the normal bunch of these kinds of games. I've only died once so far (to the first enemy that left a lingering damage field on the floor, because it's bloody hard to see!), but it's been a couple of close calls, especially at the second boss.

Edit: Also the game tries really hard to be sad.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lakbay posted:

I’m a sucker for these types of games but Ender Lilies does absolutely nothing new or interesting so I’d say most people should skip it

Yeah, absolutely adequate is about where I'd put it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unlucky7 posted:

How is Cross Code? I got it through a bundle and while I hear mostly good things I hear that the puzzle centric dungeons kind of bring it down
It's a competently made isometric action rpg with extremely slow pacing, and where every single dungeon overstays its welcome by about an hour.

Edit: By slow pacing I mean that the story doesn't really go anywhere until about 20 hours in

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ender Lilies report: I am actually enjoying it quite a bit now that I have a lot more tools to play with.
You unlock a bunch of various "spirits" (combat abilities) to fight with as the game progresses, and there's no shortage of enemies to use them on, so while this isn't really GOTY material for me, I'm having a good time.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Finished Ender Lilies at around 16 hours. Definitely had a lot of fun with it once it opened up, and I got a lot of abilities to play around with, can absolutely recommend it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So I picked up ULTRAKILL on a whim when it got recommended to me, and goddamn, this might just be one of the best arena shooters I've ever played.
Absolutely recommend anyone that's ever enjoyed oldschool DOOM or Quake to check it out.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Play posted:

I can't even find a way to see all of my achievements in one place much less see which ones are the rarest. They're probably not that rare though since this account is pretty new and I play many games separate from steam.

Also why do I spell achievements wrong on my first try almost every time
If you go to your profile and set one of the showcases to "Rarest achievement showcase" it should automatically find your rarest ones I think.

Mine seems to be from Puzzle Pirates, at 0.3%

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

StrixNebulosa posted:

It starts cutscene heavy and slowly eases up and lets you play

And then it relapses into insane cutscene heavy near the end.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just remembered that Psychonauts 2 is supposed to come out at the end of next month.

Strange feeling after all these years.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zetsubou-san posted:

a while ago, but I just came across it in library and remembered this post:

Have you tried Our Darker Purpose?

- - - -

Behold, a game so mediocre and forgotten that the most completed achievement is still done by under 10% of players: Dark Gates

When this happens, it's usually just because achievments were added some time post-launch

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Bought OMD3, can confirm it's basically just more OMD.
Pretty fun so far, but UGH, did they really have to make the characters make unfunny quips for EVERY SINGLE KILL.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Did the main characters even talk during missions in the first two? I honestly can't remember, or I've subconsciously repressed it.

Edit: I will say though, that there seems to be a LOT more traps and weapons to choose from in this, and so a lot more potential loadouts to play around with.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 24, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

socialsecurity posted:

How does OMD compare to say Dungeon Defenders? I liked DD but the cash shop/grind ruined it for me after a while.
I haven't played the latest DD, or the original after they made the changes that had people up in arms, but OMD is probably what I'd consider a much more streamlined experience.

You have specific weapons and traps (that you can upgrade with meta currency) instead of having to find random gear, and the maps are much more compact and vertical than DD. OMD traps also involve a lot more physics shenanigans than what I can remember from DD, and you can make entire setups that rely on just throwing enemies around (which I remember was actually kinda viable to get high scores because of combos in OMD2).

Edit: I'd kinda say OMD is more like an action-TD game while DD is more of an RPG-TD game, if that makes any sense.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 24, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unlucky7 posted:

I am kind of tempted by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark Orcs Must Die 3, as I really liked the first game, but I still got the second game unplayed in my library. Is it good enough that I should skip it or play 2 and see if I want more first?

Honestly, OMD2 is good enough that I'd suggest playing that first, since you already have it. There's a lot of overlapping weapons and tools between the two, and OMD3 feels closer to 2 than to 1, so if you like what you find in that, pick it up afterwards.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Man, the later stages of OMD3 doesn't mess around, I think I've failed the final stage of the first campaign 4 times now. And I'm only on the second difficulty.

Might be a bit more manageable with 2 players.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Play posted:

Oh I also got a start in GRIME, I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I did the demo so far. More than I thought I would. It's got excellent setting of atmosphere and the combat is thought-provoking and fun

Yeah, I've been watching a streamer play this, and it looks much better than I had expected. Very unique and strange setting, pretty neat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Unlucky7 posted:

Has anyone tried Dreamscaper? I am curious about it and hear good things.

I bought it, and have gotten to the fourth stage.
It's OK. Pretty, decent controls and game flow, seems to have a fair amount of variance in weapons and skills, but I haven't been quite blown away by it yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

If anyone is playing Orcs Must Die 3, I would appreciate tips on how to beat these war scenarios. :saddowns: I'm on the second one, where you get the placeable tower and the archer banks. Too many orcs!

For that one, the easiest solution is probably to wall off one of the side paths with barricades, spam a ton of archers on the central balcony, and pick off stragglers on your own on the other path.
I found the war towers kinda worthless, but YMMV.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

IShallRiseAgain posted:

so I beat 12 minutes. The ending is so stupid. Not sure why they felt like ending on surprise incest was a good idea.

Help step sis, I'm stuck in a time loop!

Though honestly, it was pretty obvious it was going in that direction once the wife mentions she has a half brother related to the murder, and there's only three people present in the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

deep dish peat moss posted:

:allears: Has anyone ever made a game that is explicitly all about abusing glitchy physics and breaking the game?

Cruelty Squad

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Picked up a Arboria on a whim, it's a Dark Soul's-y roguelike (yeah yeah I know) where you play as a bunch of plant-based trolls that mutate their limbs into weapons, which I found to be a pretty novel concept.

Combat is fun, there is a bunch of different weapons mutations and spells that you can upgrade with a bunch of different elements (Which seem to affect the way they work sometimes), and the writing is pretty silly, if a bit strange at times.
The devs definitely put a lot of soul into this, can absolutely recommend checking it out if it looks interesting.

Edit: Also, enemies can be infused with any of the 6 different elements, and they made unique skins (not just color variations) for each of them, which is something I appreciate.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 9, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The discussion boards are bar none the best way to get help for technical issues or to report bugs, so they are worth it for that alone.
Especially for smaller games, I've come in contact with devs there multiple times.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cowcaster posted:

do people actually use their steam points to buy steam emojis to post in their steam stream chats, is that a thing people actually do

What else is there to use them on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cowcaster posted:

you can just do what i do and not use them at all

And squander their potential? Impossible