Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

pentyne posted:

Mark me down as one of those who just can't get past the jank of E.Y.E.

It's not a bad game, and seems pretty easy to play through without hassle it's just there's so much going on in the game I don't understand up to when I quit and then start over it sends be back to the same dreamscape and then to some predetermined save point I had no idea it would take me to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Valheim's great because it takes faaaaar more inspiration from Terraria than it does from DayZ/ARK/Rust/etc like every other 3D open-world survival crafting game does. Even the hunger system is good.

You can't die from hunger so instead of being a "maintain this bar or die" timesink, eating food buffs your Max HP and Stamina by different amounts depending on how good the food is which will decrease in strength over time as you get closer to needing to eat again. Sailing is a lot of fun, the combat isn't amazing but its a lot better than most in the genre. The building is a bit finicky at first but once you get it, you can make some really cool buildings.

Also tons of cool little details that make the game feel more alive, my favorite one being that campfires create smoke and if your house doesn't have proper ventilation setup for it you start to take damage from inhaling the smoke that's filling your house.

I've put almost 30 hours into it completely solo and its been tons of fun, I imagine if you have friends to play with it'll be even better. But if you don't, according to the devs in their discord, the game is actually balanced for solo play first and then certain aspects of enemy difficulty scale up based on player count.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lakitu7 posted:

Is Valheim worth it for totally single-player only, or is it more multi-dependent than Terraria? Like does the balance adjust for the player count or is solo just for masochists?

they balance the game for solo play first and scale upward for multiplayer according to a mod/pre-steam release playtester on their discord. been playing completely solo and it's really fun.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

In case anyone else grabbed Nioh 2 and is having weird framerate drops despite having way better hardware than required, I think setting the game to 120 fps fucks something up. I tested the exact same fight on max settings (minus motion blur) on 120 fps and 60 fps. on 120 fps cap, the frame rate would dip as low as sub-30 fps while on 60 fps cap it stayed at 60 the entire time.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Everyone struggling with hauling copper in Valheim needs to build some drat carts already to quickly and easily bring your haul back to your base/ship storage. They're literally just portable chests with tons of storage room.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Omi no Kami posted:

Am I correct that the consensus on Valheim is neat, but needs refinement? I've been itching for a Wurm Infinite-esque singleplayer crafting/survival thing, but "Early Access Survival game" seems to be the kiss of death for so many titles.

Personally, Valheim is easily the most polished and feature complete Early Access survival game I have ever played at it's early access launch and it doesn't even have all of the biomes/bosses yet. My only complaints so far are relatively small ones like wanting separate slots for equipped gear and a bit more responsive combat plus other minor QoL changes.

It is easily worth the $20 they're asking for right now, even with me playing entirely solo, but it's especially worth it if you have friends to play it with. I really doubt it'll change your mind on the genre if you already hate it and it doesn't really do anything completely unique but the package as a whole is very well made compared to even some "completed" survival games out there.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i've made barely any progress in Deathloop because i tried out the invasion mode and it's funny as hell just outright halting another player's progress by kicking them off a cliff on their last life.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the issue with turning off player invasions in Deathloops is the fact that the invader AI is legit dumb as gently caress so its significantly easier and far less interesting than an actual player. like, its really awful and a complete non-threat to you in any way in my experience.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Valid. This is a huge problem for Rune Factory.

Not anymore.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

bullying companies works

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

sponges posted:

God drat the combat in Morrowind is laughably bad.

and yet its the best combat system in the entire elder scrolls franchise and i mean that completely unironically

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

LLSix posted:

Black Desert Online is only $3 right now on Steam. What’s the catch? Does it have a subscription?

the entire game is one of the most agonizingly slow and miserable grinds i have ever seen in any game unless you want to use the pay 2 win spreadsheet guide to calculate how much money you will actually end up spending to get anything done within your lifetime.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

future stolen steam account owners posting in this topic

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

monster hunter world has like 5 cool weapon designs and then everything else is a caveman bone club with monster fur/scales taped onto to it. im glad rise went back to the old ways.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the answer to the age old question "how are the keyboard & mouse controls for [console exclusive japanese game ported to PC later]?" is the same 99% of the time:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

repiv posted:

Heads up, there's a remote code execution exploit in Dark Souls 3 (maybe earlier games too?) that allows invaders to run anything on your machine

Don't play online, some streamer already got hit with it in the wild

https://twitch.tv/videos/1271478221?t=4810s

tired: getting ganked by a dark spirit
wired: getting cryptolockered by a dark spirit

nobody knows how to do this yet except the people who discovered it and sent details on it to bamco about a month ago, which they completely ignored. they decided to start hitting people with relatively harmless uses of it to make a stink so bamco will actually fix it because Elden Ring is almost certainly vulnerable to this.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lt. Lizard posted:

There are anti-war war movies. But many war movies either only pay lip service to the theoretical anti-war message they are supposed to have, or manage to poison it due to clumsy execution and thoughtless writing.

Likewise, this game may have a message that is worth hearing, but the decision to make the player boyfriend of the streamer and give him full control over her mental state and actions, in the name of management sim gameplay, significantly muddles it. Ultimately, every ending and development she arrives at, both positive and negative, is caused by the player/boyfriend pushing and manipulating her in that particular direction, which takes away most of her agency from her and the bit that she still retains is almost exclusively used for her doing something harmful to herself or others. If the management aspect came from the streamer herself and the relationship with the boyfriend would be just another thing to manage, the game would be stronger and we could talk about what it has to say about streaming, but the relationship between the streamer and player character overshadows it completely.

As for fetishization, the player is literally her boyfriend, who can use sex as destressing tool (which is something only he can initiate, but sometimes she messages that she is horny and you can initiate sex for bonus stress reduction... :v:) and get a message praising your performance after the deed. Even without that particular "feature", the game makes it clear that the streamer would spectacularly self-destruct without the boyfriend/player and draws deep from the well of "only YOU can fix/save this fragile little waifu". And, I suspect that that kind of "appeal" is a the reason why the player character is her boyfriend in the first place.

you should maybe actually play the game before criticizing it

1. p-chan is never once stated to be male.

Steam Store Page posted:

P-chan:
Gender, age, and all details are unknown.
Or maybe it's you?

2. ending spoilers p-chan is literally her imaginary friend and does not actually exist

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 2, 2022

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, which ending shows that? I did two and one unfinished playthrough, before checking out of the game due to distate and never encountered that particular piece of info in the spoiler. Also P-chans gender doesn't really matter for their relationship to be toxic.

Still, fair enough. :shrug:

unlock all endings and open secret.txt on the desktop

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Zeron posted:

I don't really see how a secret ending that you have to clear the entire rest of the game to get makes it less toxic when the rest of the game can consist of you overdosing her on pills, telling her to kill herself, turning her into a Q-nut, etc etc etc. Even if it was intended as a "criticism", which is being very charitable, it does a loving terrible job of that.

buddy, i got some bad news for you about a whole lot of media if this is how you think toxicity works

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the new player experience for destiny 2 is nightmarish because of everything they've deleted and destiny 2 players are genuine freaks who are extremely happy to have content they paid for deleted for some reason

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

exquisite tea posted:

The Humble Bundle edition of Control on Steam isn't actually the Ultimate version with all the DLC, despite saying it is. Somehow this has never been corrected.

it likely never will be corrected because 505 games really likes pulling scummy poo poo nowadays

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ariong posted:

Oh yeah I know it crashes frequently and I can deal with that, but in this case it was crashing every time the game tried to load that specific cutscene and I could no longer progress.

I would love to backup my save, but I don't know how. Where is the data stored?

%LOCALAPPDATA% \THQ\Saints Row 2\
according to : https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Saints_Row_2

Jack Trades posted:

Indeed, it is a lot of work. Why do all that when you can just make numbers go big. Big number make brain chemical go brrr.

i dont think i have ever seen you post a single even remotely positive opinion about any video game in this thread, have you considered looking into a new hobby

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

nioh 2 isn't a souls-like, it's a character action game pretending to be a souls-like pre-NG+

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the ideal way for me to enjoy a fromsoft souls game is to play it blind alongside a bunch of friends also playing through it blind and sharing our discoveries.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Why is the DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT a completely separate download and not a patch/update????? uuuggggh fine

because the director's cut breaks your save files and requires you to export the save from in-game to transfer it to DC. suddenly updating the game and breaking every single person's saves would be a very bad idea imo.

why does it break saves? who knows, game development is hard and it was likely far more of a hassle to fix that than just make a separate client and make an export functionality.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

its honestly incredibly fitting for steam that the first game on that page for me was Furry Cyberfucker

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

repiv posted:

They did miss the opportunity to put in a fake Source console so you could still get the Serious Room ending though

this is literally the only problem i have with ultra deluxe and i hope they bring it back one day

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mordja posted:

Trying to get some friends into Elite Dangerous but: what can you actually do as a team? And is it easy to meet up right off the bat or what?

you can do all of the same stuff with your friends that you can do by yourself:

- nothing

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i honestly really enjoy the day/night cycle in v rising. day time isn't too long on the default settings and it gives you a comparatively unique survival hazard to deal with. it's always a fun kind of stress when i took too long to hunt down a boss and the sun rises in the middle of the fight and now i have to fight them while jumping from shadow to shadow or hope a cloud rolls in.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

yeah v rising has some preset server settings but you can completely tweak pretty much anything you want to make the game as grindy or not grindy as you want. hell, it even gives you options to just entirely skip progression steps or start a new character with with anywhere between early to late game gear.

just don't play on public servers, it's a miserable experience like all of these survival crafting games are.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Sonel posted:

Where do I go to change server settings? I made a mistake when creating it and can’t find the option.

you can't do it in-game which feels like a major oversight but you can edit the "ServerGameSettings.json" file in the save folder in "C:\Users\WINDOWSUSERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Stunlock Studios\VRising\Saves\v1"

if you have default settings, you're probably gonna be missing a lot of settings in the json file but you can make a new server and change all the settings away from default to get a different ServerGameSettings.json you can copy the settings from

highly recommended turning off the restriction for teleporting while holding resources

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

normally you see a game like craftopia and think its a pump and dump asset flip but nope. it is insanely jank and a bit crap in places but they're still updating it regularly to this day and are working on a massive update that basically reworks the entire structure of the game.

edit: yeah i just checked and the last update for craftopia was literally yesterday and added a ton of new poo poo

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Heran Bago posted:

What PC games support the PS5 controller's weird triggers? There's Death Stranding DX and I think at least one more.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Controller:DualSense#Games_with_adaptive_triggers_and_haptic_feedback

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Khanstant posted:

all-time popular mods for skyrim on nexus:

all surface level poo poo, more gooderer graphics basically. Which fair, their games are pretty ugly by default. It was almost the end of page 2 of most popular mods before I saw "better females" and after that the frequency of creeper mods starts to ramp up.

you have zero idea what you're even talking about if you think the top mods on nexus are the pinnacle of skyrim modding

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it makes sense for individual mods to touch as little of the game as necessary so that they're as widely compatible as possible and to avoid forcing changes people don't actually want with the rest of the mod (see: Open Cities and Gategate). at the same time, 1000 mods that each change 0.01% of skyrim still won't turn it into a deep game and it will take longer to get them all working than you'll actually spend playing it, so I've come to appreciate the STALKER modding community's kitchen sink approach to mods where you just install one thing and go to an X ray engine crash dialog

bethesda games are finally getting that same thing in a roundabout way via the wabbajack modlist installer at least. i installed a modlist from it and if you have nexus premium it'll just automatically download every mod and put em in the correct load order necessary.

if you don't have premium its uh, a lot more annoying since you need to approve every download manually.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

bamhand posted:

That looks like such a tedious boss. Do people really like being required to hit parries 50 times in a row or whatever?

yes.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The Lone Badger posted:

Between the multiplayer stuff and the crypto stuff the studio has really lost my attention for a new STALKER.

literally every stalker game has had online pvp multiplayer as one of it's advertised features so idk why you thought this one wouldn't either

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Trickyblackjack posted:

Any recommendations for something similar? I know of that recent anime* diva game, but ehhhhh

*yes I am aware that Unbeatable is anime as well, but there's anime, then there's anime

there's film and then there's film

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does anyone know a Torlon? I got one of those vote for game messages.
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197963850592/

i got a couple of these messages today from different accounts, so be aware i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

its genuinely hilarious that anyone still pretends anime/manga is this niche weirdo thing despite it being an insanely mainstream medium now