Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I've heard that Sanitarium uses a lot of lame ableist ideas that were common to 90's media in regards to mental heath/institutions, just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Azran posted:

I really like short, replayable games like Into the Breach, Dungeon of the Endless, FTL or Invisible Inc where you unlock more characters/equipment as you go on, but I haven't had much fun with traditional roguelikes (mostly because most of them have kinda ugly UIs and that's a major bummer for me). Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Any ideas?

If you're down with the twin stick shooter variety, Monolith is extremely good at a low price. If you like it, the new DLC fits seamlessly into the base game and adds a lot of QoL features for new players.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Objective Action posted:

Spiral S?outs 29397-5?4I8-JLBZ3

Gonna try this one, thanks very much!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

pradmer posted:

Shocked I got this. Thanks!

Battle Chef Brigade is actually really good. Best game in the stack, IMO.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Now this is a song I could crawl through some ventilation shafts to.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Why would you sit around your house in distressed jeans. He's gonna have a disparately cold knee.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I'll wait to invest in VR until it's designed to hook up to and support my vital organs and I never have to leave.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

What's the name of that recent game that people have been describing as "Mount&Blade, but with guerillas" again? I've been stuck inside for a while now and I'm kinda sick of everything else I've currently got at hand.

Very disappointed you weren't asking about a game involving apes with swords.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Yeah this all becomes really apparent if you've ever tooled around with platformer physics in GameMaker or something. A character's hit box need's all sorts of invisible padding or collisions become a real headache.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

No Wave posted:

The thing that makes the game easy is abusing the invuln artifact. I don't think it's especially easy without that (and the instadeath pits made the game above average frustrating imo).

To me, using the phase locket robs the game of it's intended challenge, I never used it. But I was also the kind of kid who liked to fight Mega Man bosses with just the default megabuster.

Rookersh posted:

I wonder if it's just because I didn't gain these skills as a kid, or if it's a patience thing. If I had played Mario as a kid, rather then wandering around in Morrowind/learning THACO in Baldur's Gate, would I be better at these puzzles now? Or would I have just gotten frustrated and angry at this as a kid.

Playing a lot of platformers as a kid definitely bakes in a certain set of skills, yeah. You would have still gotten your rear end kicked, but you'd develop a real eye for trajectories.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

If anything the thing to abuse in Shovel Knight is the downwards shovel attack. You should be in the air against most enemies as much as possible.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

So I'm pretty sold on Little Nightmares, are all the DLCs worth it for the extra $2.50?

The three DLCs listed at $2.50 each are all part of the same bonus campaign, so get the Secrets of the Maw Expansion Pass for $5 instead. And yeah, if you're enjoying the main story, the DLC campaign is good too.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm confused; isn't the Complete Edition a better deal? $7.50 for the three DLCs and Secrets of the Maw?

Oh yeah, I missed that one, get that then :)

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Levelhead seems interesting to me because on one hand the player base is going to be a lot smaller than SMM but then it would be that much easier to to actually gain some presence as a level creator and not just get buried under a thousand levels every day.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Less than two hours until the Wholesome Direct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCNzOPR8Ck

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I haven't tried it myself yet but there is in fact a game out there for Peggleheads looking to launch balls into the Peggle shaped void in their Peggle hearts- Roundguard.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Hi Steam Thread. Are there any good breakout style games on steam? More specifically, are there any good breakout/rpg hybrid games? I was thinking about Alphabounce, which was a DSi-ware title of all things which featured a whole open world starmap of procedurally generated breakout levels, and the map was scattered with various upgrades and equipment types, giving the game a wonky sense of progress. Was wondering if anyone has developed a game in that space since then. Would also be interested in any games that feature RPG progression and huge grid based maps of levels that do not feature traditional action game combat.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks for the breakout recs all, Shatter is indeed good, and I think I actually have Strikey Sisters in my Library, so I'll give that a try!

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

goferchan posted:

Heat Signature is a real-time with pause top-down heist game that kind of hits on a lot of stuff you mentioned. There's sort of a light "rogue" element to it where your characters can permanently die (or be imprisoned, where then they can be freed with a new character and played again) but there's also a lot of meta RPG progression and, like you described, a big starmap of levels, with a mix of some being procedurally generated and others being hand-designed. The structure is cool, it makes it so there's always SOMETHING you can do to progress, even if you're sick of banging your head against any one challenge

Sorry but Heat Signature is a break IN game, which is the opposite of what I'm looking for.
(j/k, heat signature is very good, I should pick it up again.)

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

The worst thing about a vertical mouse is that you'll knock it over a disproportionate amount of times while you're reaching for something because somehow your body sense isn't used to that extra few inches of height.

Hopefully that happens to you, because if I'm alone here, I may very well be a moron-bodied idiot

Have you tried elevating your chair?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Please pay for indie games, I'm friends with all the developers on twitter.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

There's more then one type of colorblind, I have blue yellow, so telling the difference between blue and green is hard that said I liked undertake which is why I wanted more but I guess that's just not an option with bullet hell games.

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has an option to turn off the backgrounds entirely, and you might not even find that you need to use this setting all the time as the projectiles are all big and chunky, and the game's roguelike elements mean that any given boss is not tied to one particular level background. It's also quite a good game for bullet hell novices as there is a scaling risk/reward difficulty system built into the game's core mechanics. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

I've been playing Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon on the Switch all morning and wowee this is a hosed up game. It's basically the Knife Game of puzzle games, not only is it a falling block puzzler where you lose if the board fills up, it's also a turn-based combat game where have to manage a constantly fluctuating HP bar. You can't fumble your way into a good combo here. You're constantly under pressure and two or three bad orthogonal movements away from a game over, and the game further goads and rewards fast play with a combo meter to earn money and random upgrade shops on every floor. All of the Shovel Knight charm and polish is here at least, with good remixes and all your favorite guys.

There's an optional difficulty toggle, but I'm going to hang in there with this surprisingly hard puzzle game, it's a harsh but fun challenge so far, even if I still die before the first boss most of the time.