Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Humble is selling the Mass Effect trilogy for :10bux: but no 2/3 dlc included. I’d rented 1 and borrowed 3, I’d love the full set on PC but have a revulsion to incomplete sets. Gimme what I want, EA!

They sell DLC bundles on Origin these days, which is a step up from only being able to buy them from BioWare’s site. I imagine there will be a Complete Trilogy Edition in 5 years or so!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hwurmp posted:

it is 2020 and I have only just learned that Steam trading cards have artwork attached to them

Writing as well sometimes. Although I only think Heat Signature went so far as attaching stories to them: https://steamcommunity.com/games/268130/announcements/detail/1708443926960046083

Sininu posted:

Oh heck! I can finally play it!

:same:

I don’t even remember when I bought it. 2017? I think it was during a sale when flash sales were still a thing.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I got curious as well and it turns out Humble Indie Bundle 18 had KRZ. That was May 2017. Huh, I thought I got it during a Steam sale.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I got this even though I *did* use the idle program. My secret shame.

I think they gave those halos out again when the game went F2P.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Nordick posted:

I played Victor Vran for a bit, and the main thing I remember from it is that Doug Cockle made absolutely, utterly ZERO effort to not sound exactly like he does as Geralt of Rivia, which I found inexplicably hilarious

What are the odds he was asked to sound like that by whoever was the voice director? Ask Steve Blum and Nolan North about having a wide range and being asked to do the same kind of voice a lot.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh, that’s just bad coding and not a memory leak then.

God, I remember back when a gig of RAM was a lot and some games would never release any memory they took; so you’d have to save, kill them through task manager/kill em all, and reboot them.

E: not being pedantic to be a dick, just saw a LAN party thread and been posting in the DX thread. Also talked about computer upgrades in the unpopular video game opinion thread. It got me nostalgic for the bad old days. Those were fun.

I only caught the very end of the DOS era, but I’m pretty sure there are people here who will laugh hard at “a gig of RAM”. There will be war stories about spending hours managing their computer memory just to get a game going.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Baller Time posted:

Ah, Kingping, the "Oh no is my graphics card broken?!" game of pulsating fun

Kingpin, the game of beefy hotdog men.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

I’m playing read dead 2 on steam with a ps4 dual shock.

The game prompts are coded to what appears to be Xbox controls. (Ex/ letters instead of shapes).

The game prompts me to hit a button with 3 horizontal stripes.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what button that is.

Apologies if there is something obvious I’m missing, but help?!

Ha ha ha, he doesn't know how to use the 3 horizontal stripes!

It is the future, we now have hamburger and kebab buttons.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 21, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

A Plague Tale: Innocence is now on Gamepass. :yeah:

Gris as well.
Edit: And Frostpunk a couple days ago, for those not keeping up with Game Pass.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 23, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Det_no posted:

Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham is free if you get it now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226667/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Sons_of_Abraham/

At this rate I'll have the complete game and all expansions for free in about thirty years :shepface:

https://www.pcgamer.com/paradox-is-testing-a-subscription-service-for-europa-universalis-4/

Maybe eventually Paradox will have their own subscription service for all their games. It's not like somebody is going to be done with their entire catalogue within a month, let alone a single game. Edit: Oh, I forgot they published some RPGs. So a slightly higher number.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 23, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth on whether I want to get Rage 2. The gunplay looks fantastic and the colours are beautiful but everything else sounds like a slog.

haldolium posted:

Gunplay gets fun once you have the guns and updates which in return makes a large portion of the game boring.
It's not a good game but it has it's moments. Don't spend more than 10 on it.

Cardiovorax posted:

Seconded. Rage 2 is fun for a ten dollar game, but spend more than that and you'll be disappointed by how shallow of a game it is in practice.

Which is why Rage 2 is the ideal Game Pass game. Pay 10 bucks*, play Rage 2, play some more games when you’re done with it.

*less if you haven’t started a trial period before

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

With Metro Exodus on the Microsoft Store I wanted to delete the intro movies, but even when I got access to the folder I still didn't have the proper rights to delete the files. Finding an ini to edit was another labyrinth.

Fallom posted:

It’s because the second one is just Ubisoft games op

Yeah, and the uPlay service is going to stay underwhelming unless you want to play a brand new game of theirs. Compare this to Origin Access which also offers as Basic tier for a third of the price, with double the catalogue (not all of them EA games).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 24, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Just to clarify, sans deals/promotions Game Pass PC is $5 right now and will eventually go up to $10 so keep an eye out for that email or news story or whatever if you wanna cancel.

And if you click on your profile picture in the Xbox app > Settings > Account it will show the auto renew date under Subscriptions.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Steam still manages to surprise me sometimes.

I write a lot of guides to the games I play. Today, I've decided to figure out how the guide rating system works.

You get 3 stars once your guide has 25 upvotes, 4 votes once your guide has 100 upvotes, 5 stars once it reaches 200. Downvotes probably counter-balance this in some way.

So far, so good (though at least one great guide to Arcanum spells was erased because the writer was a primadonna and balked at the thought of the guide getting 3 stars).

But! I can see how many people rated my guide (only once the guide gets those initial 25 votes, for some reason) but not how many of them upvoted it versus downvoting it.

Is there a way to find that out?

There is! And it's absolutely reasonable and intuitive!

Get a friend to favorite your guide, and then check their activity feed to see how many people upvoted!

I remember reading the Arcanum section on the Before I Play wiki. Later on I also checked some Steam guides and I found one which seemed to copy-paste the former. I was completely ready to be outraged!... but then I saw the author's name. I own the game on GOG instead of Steam, so I couldn't give it a thumbs up.

You also can't upvote and downvote when your account is not in good standing. Probably to prevent abuse.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 26, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

shame, now you can’t play exodus

drat, I got the good ending in Metro 2033, does that mean I shouldn't have played Last Light? :ohdear:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Xaris posted:

The 'morality' system in Metro is definitely extremely obtuse and the weakest parts about them. that said just lookup the other ending and pretend thats what you got if you want to.

It’s even worse in Metro Exodus. Also the first part of its ending is shared between both endings, the second part has the different outcomes. With the good ending it ends up being an emotional rollercoaster. With the bad ending that buildup is just a kick in the nuts.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 28, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I checked two sites dedicated to telling me if Steam is down and one said yes, the other had a lot of errors for Steam services. I think that is another yes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I got a new desktop yesterday. What are some good games I should play to put it through its paces? If it involves ray tracing, even better, but anything that’s stupid demanding is welcome.

There is a demo for the ray tracing version of Quake 2. I believe if you owned Quake 2 before, you got the full version for free. It’s a 20 year old game, but you are not going find any new games with full-blown ray tracing anytime soon.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Note: Mal'Ganis died on the way back to his home planet.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

So is it an essential oil mod or not? My aunt on Facebook wants to know.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

srulz posted:

So I've been playing Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice now, and I really need to vent on something:

You might have missed that you could use your torch to light something in the rooms which is a clear indication that you've been there before.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

PlushCow posted:

In COJ Bound in Blood, you sometimes get an option of who to play between two brothers, and I would recommend always picking the crazy one that can dual wield pistols. That game also had a nice auto cover system if youre crouching behind a box or at a corner. COJ Bound in Blood and Gunslinger are both lots of fun, the first CoJ is a bit old and rough but I still enjoyed it (played it after Bound in Blood).

I tried Bound In Blood three years ago and all I got was unskinned yellow models doing T-poses in a dark dimension of nothingness. I don't think that's an universal problem, but keep in mind that game might need some serious ini fiddling to run properly.

As for GUN, it's an open world game with barely anything in it. GTA 3 could stuff plenty in an urban environment, but GUN is mostly plains and wilderness.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 7, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

God drat, Xbox Gamepass is a ludicrous deal. I was looking at getting Children of Morta, but turns out it's on GP, along with Plague Tale and Pathologic 2. When did that happen? Then they're offering 3 months for a buck to sign back up.

I seriously hate the interface, but it's just such a ridiculous value proposition.

I think you just need the app to start the download for a game, after that it's all handled through the Microsoft Store app. You don't to run the Xbox app to start the games, relying on desktop shortcuts or the start menu works.

Apparently next week you'll also get access to the second DLC for Metro Exodus as it launches. Kind of a "screw you" to the people who actually bought the season pass for that game, but I'm definitely not complaining. I'm game for the adventures of Steve Blum in Vladivostok.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 9, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

quote:

Pledge US$ 75 or more (About €69)
Scroll of Absolution!

Lord of the Shapers Reward Tier + We send you a signed, singed, personalized document absolving you for any of our games you may have pirated in the past. We get apology emails about this all the time. Now you can make our forgiveness official!

Nice try, Jeff, but I just played the poo poo out of the shareware releases as a kid. No piracy here!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I want one of those things with a monitor stand, so I can game on my couch with a monitor for those games that have teeny text.

I should really just get glasses but the place near me is always closed on my day off.

Don't dilly-dally on glasses. If you need them more than you'd like to admit it'll be like going from the lowest setting for textures to the highest one. All of a sudden people won't have a Metal Gear Solid 1 face anymore when they are standing at a distance!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The Game Pass’s UI and download speeds are so bad that I buy stuff on Steam even though it’s available there. And I’ve had a lotof problems with Steam, but it’s still less of a pain in the rear end than using game pass.

You are supposed to pay for Game Pass to save money elsewhere, you weirdo!

In the case of Metro Exodus, the Microsoft Store (thus Game Pass) version is really messed up though. Really hard to edit game files because where it is stored (no deleting the intro movies, a labyrinthine hunt for an ini). It needs to “adjust settings” every time you boot it up for some reason and that takes half a minute more, even stored on a SSD. And the Dolby Atmos setting is just broken. I think they had a QoL patch for the game recently and it would longer to arrive on the Microsoft Store... yeah.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 15, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

You know something I love about 2033? When you group up with the elite badass team in preparation for the final push, their shop is just... free. They don't sell you poo poo, they just load you up

And then in Last Light you can just pick weapons in the very first level and it gives you a gun range to test them out. There is even an achievement ("Veteran") if you pick 3 weapons that use different types of ammo at that point.

You end up losing your weapons early on, but it is the thought that counts!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 16, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

quote:

It is possible to retrieve Artyom's weapons that he picked in the Sparta level, but only during Ranger Difficulties. The weapons can be found after reaching the guard post, on the periodic table of elements on the wall. However, the guns are empty of all ammunition.

Huh.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

I own Cryostasis on my Steam account. I should reinstall it at some point to see how terribly it runs. It’s a timeless benchmarking tool really!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 16, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The total length of Metro Exodus depends on if you are interested in standing around and listening to people. There are interludes between levels and those tend to be 5 minutes of mandatory listening and then you can use a map to move on. You can also spend half a hour just chilling with the other people on the train.

That also occurs in the levels themselves. I take pity on those who didn’t stick around for the Admiral’s tea party.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Colonel Miller's dumb as gently caress though.

I love my gruff buddy from Diablo 3.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Speaking of good 30 year-old games, the SNK collection is worth picking up on the cheap just for Crystalis. It was one of the best games on the NES, and it's competitive with a lot of modern indie games. Anything else there that you like is a bonus.

Frank Cifaldi was involved with it. Mega Man: Legacy Collection, Disney Afternoon Collection, Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection. If he did something for a collection it’s more than just roms running on an emulator.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Hah, not Ace Combat. This is a series that thrives on insane cinematic bullshit like flying through tunnels, giant laser towers and jousting but with JETS while spanish guitar plays.

Definitely my favorite video game song featuring castanets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4Jx76vSTk

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Dazzling camouflage.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Yakuza 0 is now on Game Pass.

You'd think I could finish it before the 3rd of March or will I get too wrapped up in its mini-games? I had a great 3 months with Game Pass but I should get around to the stuff I bought during the winter sale. And both Hitman seasons, holy poo poo I finally have a PC that can run it properly :monocle:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 26, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Does it have just the missions, or the story and cutscenes and progression as well?
Basically what I'm asking is whether this is the preferred way of playing it for the first time.

Yes.

Unless you are adamant about having 100% of the content, because Season 1 in Season 2 does not have all the Escalations that Season 1 by itself had. Escalations give you another reason to replay a level after you've already played it dozens of time unlocking all the challenges. I imagine you have to be really dedicated to the game to enjoy Escalations.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 29, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Serephina posted:

I'm dying over here! There oughta be some sort of compilation lists of worlds greatest gaming bugfixes somwehere

https://twitter.com/thestrangelog

I think it is biased AGAINST Dwarf Fortress patch notes, because that is just too easy.

e;f,b

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

At the moment, I find myself leaning towards FF15, since it's the one I know nothing about, but the Steam reviews mention there being some issues with the port (one review mentions issues with frametimes and controls locking up), and brought up how the game's DLC got cancelled, leaving some of the story threads unresolved. That said, it still sounds like the game is pretty solid.

It’s on Game Pass if you have Win10 and are unsure about it.

Apparently the stories for the cancelled DLC got turned into a novel and it verges from the actual finale quite a bit. It’s not like the DLC that did get released, which clearly belongs with that rushed second half of the game.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 1, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I'm not familiar with PC GamePass. It looks interesting, but similar to MMOs, I'm skeptical as to paying a monthly fee, since I feel if I don't put enough time in using the service, the money's going to waste. I'm also a little wary of it being through Microsoft, because I worry it might be like GFWL. :shudder:

They might still offer a trial where you get 3 months for a buck. Just cancel the renew instantly, no need to leave a calendar reminder.

But if you are patient, they announced last year that Game Pass will eventually have every Final Fantasy from VII to XV, not counting the MMOs. I won’t be surprised if it’ll be a dripfeed, one new addition for every month for 2020.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/14/20964604/final-fantasy-microsoft-xbox-game-pass-vii-viii-ix-x-zodiac-age-remaster-xiii

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 1, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

There has to be an alcoholic orc though. They made poet orcs and bard orcs, that's not much of a stretch.

There definitely is one in the sequel. There is also another one who is a brewer, but clearly loves sampling his own products.

My personal favorite tho is One-Word. There are some crazy orcs who will repeat the same word, even if you didn’t Shame them into derangement yet. This guy on the other hand is... definite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ1Xbj3zu_g

I encountered him in the second region of act one, but just left him alone. When act two came around he had become the leader of the region. It was amazing starting the castle siege, seeing him walk out of the inner fort to speak to his troops and only say one word. I wish I remembered what it was.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Isn't there an orc who just genuinely wants to be your friend? I feel bad for that guy.

Some want more than just friendship :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qshjZVyP2k