Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Tenacious J posted:

My Time at Portia - it's on sale, does it scratch the itch about building and customizing a nice little homestead? Any automation?

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - also on sale and looks really cool. Worth a buy with or without the DLC?

I grabbed Kingdom Come when it was free on epic a little while ago and it completely failed to hook me
It brings nothing new to the genre. It's a worse version of a game you've played before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think Halo really nailed doing a FPS on a console in a way non quite did before? There are definite precursors (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark) but I think Halo was way more successful.

Don't forget Timesplitters (which did the twin stick control as well a solid year before Halo came out)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

No Man's Sky does an extremely lovely job of making you feel like an explorer in never-before-seen worlds, because every single world is populated with aliens and robots who got there ages ago and you're discovering jack poo poo, but an excellent job making you feel like a space redneck cooking space meth out of the back of your lovely trailer, ripping off neighbors with scam deals for your lovely clunker cars and shooting the space cops when they come to shut the whole operation down before getting out of dodge and starting all over

I want to like NMS so much more than I actually do
Like I want it to be walking around on 60s sci-fi book covers but it's just a grind on the same planet shooting the same laser at the same plants running from the same robots

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, they were. Not sure what they were doing during the development of JC4, but going by the names given on Wikipedia, it wasn't the Swedish team that worked on that one either.

Looks like they were working on the spiritual sequel to the Mad Max game, Rage 2

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone who has ever played XCOM/enjoyed a strategy game and hasn't plopped $10 on Chimera Squad is going to feel really silly when they have to buy it for $20 and enjoy it

I've apparently already put 3 hours into it and I don't know where that time went

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

adamarama posted:

I think that's the best thing about chimera squad, there's a wide variety of abilities and you get it use at least one every turn. It's not xcom light, it's focused and condensed. Breach is a much more interesting way to start a mission than the overwatch plod.

Yeah, it's a bit more of a playground. It's like the difference between that old D&D spell memorization style and new RPGs
it's more fun to be able to use the abilities

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

bamhand posted:

Do people like the interwoven turns? I've play a few missions and I feel like they make the game slightly worse, but maybe I haven't seen the cool stuff it lets you do. For now, it seems like it just forces you to shoot the guy whose turn is next because that's just way more important than shooting anyone else. Not a deal breaker or anything but not super into this one mechanic.

I don't know if there is one or not, but it feels like there ought to be a way to slow enemies or knock them down in the turn rotation or something
I don't think it's better or worse so far it's just a little underbaked in the early parts at least

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I only put 50ish hours into XCOM2 but I loving loved every one of those hours as frustrating as they could be

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

OzFactor posted:

Is there any particular reason I wouldn't want to just jump past XCOM straight to XCOM2? I like XCOM-likes but somehow never got around to nu-XCOM--it ran badly on my old laptop, that's probably the reason. But is 2 just an all-around improvement on 1?

Part of me wants to say yeah and part of me wants to say it's like saying chess is better than checkers. 2 takes everything 1 did and adds another layer or two to it.

It's not inherently better but it is a distinct iteration and if you are going to pick one it's probably the right one to pick.
It'd be hard to go the other direction I suspect.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Megasabin posted:

I've wanted to try it for a few years, but now that I'm actually playing Divinity Original Sin II it's not really doing much for me. I feel like every D&D based game has the same boring story about an imperial order that oppresses mages. The characters aren't really drawing me in either. I ended up putting down Dragon Age Origins for the same reason. I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate II back in the day, which is why I get excited for these games, but I think my tastes have changed.

Debating now whether I should continue to power through (I'm only 3-4 hours in) or just move on to Into the Breach, Oxygen Not Included, or Battle Brothers.

Hang in there a bit longer. I think it really starts to shine once you get some more abilities. I remember it taking a while to sync with me too but when it did, it really did.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

I don't know how populated the MP is right now (I only just reinstalled it a few days ago and haven't gotten around to playing it again) but $3 for Titanfall 2 is a great deal even if you just play the campaign.

That campaign has some of the most imaginative set pieces since portal 2 it's loving great

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Washin Tong posted:

Hey Steam thread, help me out. Are there any good coop hack and slash/action adventure games released in the last few years? Couch coop preferred, online is fine, both is ideal.

I'm looking for something in the style of LotR: War in the North/Return of the King. Which I'll admit were pretty uncommon on PC at the time. Stuff like Metal Gear Rising, DMC and hell... Marlow Briggs* are great but they are always single player.

Light RPG elements are fine but I'm not looking for a stat heavy lootfest like Diablo (my partner gets bored with those) or a sidescroller beat 'em Up like Castle Crashers. Medschool got in the way these last few years so I haven't kept up with the billion new releases.

*That name probably hasn't come up here in a few years I'd wager.

E: some of the Warriors games might be pretty close to the LotR gameplay

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 29, 2020

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darksiders Genesis maybe? I dunno how loot heavy it is but it looks like it plays like an Ultimate Alliance/Gauntlet sorta game.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

So - yeah. This is the closest I've gotten to SMT on the PC, and it's amazing. Can anyone tell me if there's anything else like it on PC? Urban/sci-fi focused JRPGs with or without monster raising? Most PC JRPGs are fantasy and/or fanservice. (lookin' at you NISA)

That Troubleshooter game that just came out. It's like Persona XCOM

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

oh yeah, also check out Resonance of Fate

it's grindy and its plotting can be politely described as "unconventional" but aesthetically it definitely sounds like what you're looking for

Oh yeah, this game has a great design/aesthetic
Though fair warning, the in-game tutorials are basically useless and the combat system is nearly incomprehensible unless you read a guide

But once it clicks it is very, very good and the weapon customization is like gun tetris.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

So, finishing The Final Station made me realize I have an itch for games where you hop in a vehicle and travel between towns scrounging for supplies and avoiding monsters. What are some of the better games with that sort of gameplay loop?

Death Road to Canada

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shouting out for Daemon X Machina in the golden week sale.
It's not a huge game, or a particularly pretty game. But you do get to build a giant robot and fight with it, and you get to paint the robot.
If that sounds like your thing you should get it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That lead character design in Berseria though I mean

whoo

it's a shame because I'd like to try it but I don't want to feel like a pervert for the 50 hours it takes to play the game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

you can swap it out for a more modest outfit pretty much immediately if it's that much of a concern

I don't want to come off as a prude or disapproving or anything like that it's just... the base design is a bit too cheesecake for me. Like gratuity/fanservice is fine in small bites. Have your hot springs scenes or whatever but if it's the whole game and one of the male characters isn't also in a banana hammock it's off balance and then I have to explain to my wife why I'm playing the anime titty game and who wants to have that conversation

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Det_no posted:

It really feels amazing to play compared with X-com, at least. It's like the difference between a boardgame and an actual videogame.

If this isn't hyperbole I am intrigued.
I would like to know more

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

I recommend everyone get Killer 7 since it's on sale. it's an incredible game once you get used to the controls.

Killer7 might just be my favorite game. It has stuck in my mind the way almost no other game has, and had bought Suda51 infinite grace in my mind.

And the soundtrack is very likely one of the best ever made. Goddamn I love that game

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Finally giving EDF 4.1 a go and it's finally clicking as a cool-down sorta game.
Is 5 a substantial improvement that I should jump right to or should I work my way through 4.1

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I have been convinced. Purchase made.
Thank y'all for the quick feedback

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shoc77 posted:

Which of the below JRPG series would you guys recommend for someone whose last played one was Final Fantasy 8 almost twenty years ago?

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

It would be a nostalgic trip but the required hours to commit in order to finish a game of this genre these days is kinda intimidating compared to my wee self where I have all the time in the world to gorge on them.

FFXV is basically designed as a nostalgia trip for the whole series (including being able to drive around the giant game map while listening to old FF tunes) so that might be what you're after. Plus it has a more action oriented design and there's fishing. Every game needs fishing.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

thanks to the goons who convinced me to jump into EDF 5 last night. Just played a few missions in it and it looks so much more like a 2012 game than a 2005 game like 4.1
A UI skin and modern textures really do make a lot of difference

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

it is a fantastic game/builder in its own right though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barry Convex posted:

Wolfenstein II is leaving XGP in a week and a half, so I guess I should play it. It's better than The Old Blood, right? TNO was good but didn't care for what I played of TOB very much

also, Rakuen is really good, even though I don't care much for RPGMaker and wish it ran on a more modern 2D engine like Unity or GameMaker

2 is way better than TOB and it has some of the best story sequences in an FPS that is otherwise about shotgunning through Nazis

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Lmao, Final Fantasy XV really dives off a cliff once you get on the boat. This is Xenogears disc 2 level shenanigans. Insane that they built this massive, hugely detailed open world and then couldn’t rewrite their (awful!) script so that the second half of the game could take place in it and instead you just ride a train from exposition dump to exposition dump.

To be fair to it, that director that came in basically had a bunch of half-finished assets and a story outline that he was told to make into a game in like 18 months.
That they got the first half of the game out of it was a miracle.

It does completely fall apart though and Nomura's original outline sounds amazing in comparison to the story we got.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

What was his plan?

You can read about it here:
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

So part cold-war with one advanced nation lording over the rest with internal political repression. From the trailers it really seemed like it would start/take part in the capital city with a cool cyberpunk aesthetic. There's also just a lot more brutal fighting in the early trailers too, lots of blood and impaling people with magic spears.

Not that the roadtrip that we got wasn't fun but the ending was the same as it ever was, and I think the original intent was to more thoroughly subvert "you are the one chosen by the crystal" blah blah

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cinara posted:

I enjoyed the first one a ton, the second one had some good parts but just wasn't very fun and I never bothered finishing it. It felt like they took a lot of the power away from the player, a lot of the gunfights just had you instantly dying and forced you to play it more like a cover shooter.

This my major gripe with it too. Way too many of those mech soliders that forced me to creep around

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Lightningproof posted:

I always play Deus Ex with Kentie's Deus Exe and D3D10 Renderer for stability/modern resolution stuff. Lots of people who have played the game to death already will recommend Biomod or something similar, but in my humble imho the vanilla game still has plenty to offer a complete newcomer.

Same, vanilla plays nicer than a 20 year-old videogame has any right to.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I mean at events and powers level yeah. On a tonal level...

If you look in his notes, it's pretty obvious Tolkien always intended for Shelob to be portrayed as a goth woman in a cocktail dress

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

She was never a spider even in the books. In the form of a spider at the time of LotR? Yup. But she's a shapeless ancient evil from the dawn of time and changing shape is explicitly something all the ancients can do (except Sauron who gave up that ability to make the Ring - that was the cost).

Gonna cry foul on this one.
Shelob literally means well... she-spider. She's the daughter of Ungoliant, also a giant spider demon, and her children are the spiders of Mirkwood. She's definitely only ever meant to be a spider in the material.
It's fine that they decided to make her a hot woman but it's also lazy and they just wanted to be able to have someone with a name the general public would understand.

If they wanted to do it right they could have made her any old nameless Maiar and called it a day

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Serephina posted:

Anime aside, they really needed to have hired a better artist. That's guys proportions are waaaay off, head size, torso, legs/crotch not matching torso. Nevermind the the guns thing, I can't draw but it's apparent to even me that things are wrong there.

Wow, I didn't even notice that but yeah he's like 10 head-lengths tall

That really only makes sense if he's like... 11 feet tall

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mechwarrior 5 and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are both in the epic sale and with the coupon they're both pretty cheap. Which one does the mercenary/upgrade my poo poo gameloop better?

e: Or should I say gently caress it to both and buy Anno 2205

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Trickyblackjack posted:

Jesus, Control is Dark Souls difficult, god drat. I can't get that flying bastard to half health before he two-shots me.

edit: ah I was supposed to hide behind a pillar and take pot shots at him. Pretty lame.

At any point when Control is feeling unfair, it's most likely because you are not using the shield ability. It is much more useful than most games tend to make a defensive ability.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I played Mad Max in the midst of a deep depressive episode, and I love it even though it's not a good game.

Zeta Acosta posted:

Just watched Fury Road yesterday and i wanted to try out the Mad Max game it turns out i already had it on my library and actually i played it for 18 hours!?
I'm going to finish it this time

My hot take is that Mad Max is actually a really good game with incredible art direction and it's a damned shame we'll never get a sequel

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

They don't claim their older games Omikron or Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy even though they are on Steam. I wonder why?

All I know for sure is that Omikron's soundtrack and subsequent Bowie album completely loving rock and if the game is half that good I really need to get around to playing it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A short hike is a really fun 2-3 hour game and everyone should chip in for the cause but also to play that game
It's gorgeous and wholesome and surprisingly fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Piracy has been massively devalued because getting the games legally got much easier and they stopping putting invasive DRM on it. People had to rely on cracks just to make their games run withouth the CD in the drive. The moment inconvience creeps back in, piracy comes back. Just look at the fracturing TV market. When Netflix made it easy, people just paid for Netflix. Now shows are spread across a dozen services, so piracy is massive.

This 100%
If I can pay a few bucks to not have to wade through VPNs and weird-rear end virus-laden poo poo sites I will gladly pay for the convenience