Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How good is Ty the Tasmanian Tiger as a platformer if you didn't play it as a kid? I got that $5 steam coupon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I tried out A Hat in Time earlier this month but I felt it was trying way too hard to be cutesy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
hi thread. I need something like Simcity 4 but also like Cities Skylines. The former one is the prettiest to look at. The latter has the traffic complexity I like. Factorio and those infrastructure building games seem a bit too far on the complex end, but something about Cities Skylines just feels so shallow. Doesnt have to be a city builder per se, but it needs to scratch that itch. I bounced off the Anno series pretty hard too. :sigh:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

It’s coming to PC??? :aaaaa::swoon:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Is fallout 76 good yet for farting around in "singleplayer"?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Anyone play Eco by Strange Loop Games? Seems cool to play with other goons, but nobody i virtually-know plays it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Cheap rear end Gamer indeed

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Has anyone had a chance to try out Occupy Mars yet? Base building survival game on mars.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How do I download event demo games? I cant find Hardspace Shipbreaker unless I search it through the store (and not the event page) and when I find it there's no demo button. I'm looking under simulation but I dont see it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Orv posted:

Shipbreaker doesn't have a demo, it just released into Early Access. Anything else you go to the store page and it'll be below the screenshots.

gah! I guess its just coincidental that everyone started talking about it now during the event.

I'd be more mad but your av text is making this bad news less hurtful.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
The awful lack of autosave and saving between cutscenes is why I haven’t beaten Yakuza 0. There’s been a few times where I needed to quit but the game wanted me to sit through some lore heavy sections without a break and I’d just Alt-F4 so I can leave my desk and lose the half hour of progress I made even before the cutscenes.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
7 days to die with goons (check out the thread to see if theres a pve server up) was a ridiculous amount of fun. Yeah it has obvious alpha jank but its an incredibly solid and fun zombie themed base builder game. It's a steal for $10.

e: like the other guy said, SP is fine but just having one other person really adds to it. the more the merrier. Back on the goon server, people would tend to group up during the blood moon/ "7th day" at either someone's fortress or a multi story building. People would be rushing across the map using their bicycles/motorcycles/4x4s/gliders and we'd all bravely climb to the roof and start shooting zillions of zombies until the sun game up.

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 19, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Kenshi is interesting. End game feels a little, idk, sparse? It feels as if there’s a setup to something larger, but things just feel kinda pointless after building a base? It’s entirely possible I went in with the wrong expectations or missed something major since I last really played right before it left early access.

The combat system is really cool though. The best way to become a terror of the wasteland is by getting your butt kicked in fights while hopefully not losing any limbs in the process, though you can steal limbs so you aren’t a one armed bandit or peg leg pirate for too long. It is really cool playing unarmed and having your skill so high that you literally kick somebody’s leg clean off. That never gets old.

Alternatively, beep beep beep! Beep.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Nuclear Throne is kicking my butt. It feels awfully unfair when I spawn into a level in the center of a large opening with everyone shooting at me. How do you guys manage?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Its a shame GTAIV had such a crappy port because its still my favorite GTA game story-wise. The buddy mechanic was really cool and I'd invite people to go bowling or go drinking or eating and hear more about their backstories. They all had conversations based on where you were at in the story as well, so it was always worth it to hang out and see what they had to say. I had a handful of gameplay sessions where all I did was chill out and hang with Niko's friends, not bothering to do the story missions but to see what everyone was up to. Both DLCs were rad. Ballad of Gay Tony is probably my favorite, but both have their place in the greater story they contribute to. Another demerit to GTAIV is that, like most rockstar games, it has a pretty long sequence of tutorials. Things move at a very leisurely pace for the first quarter of the game and its easy to lose interest when you're doing low grade extortion jobs for your habitually lying cousin.

That all said, I still think its worth playing. As good as GTA V is gameplay wise, it didn't really have what I loved so much about IV.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Someone who knows about gaming chairs more than me can answer but I’d imagine an equally priced ergonomic office chair might have better quality control and long term usefulness. Only say that because things with “gaming” in the prefix tend to be iffy.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I have to spend more than $30 in one purchase in order to get the $5 right? Buying 2 $20 games separately will not get me the $5 credit?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ace Combat 7 is some incredibly tacky game about planes that go fast and dumb metal gear esque faux politics and I love all of it so far.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Vampyr had a great start but then by 4-5 hours in I couldn't get myself to care enough to play it anymore. Nothing about it made me want to continue.

e:not terrible just, not great.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Resident Evil 7 made me the most motion sick because its always so dark and you're focusing in the dead center of the screen where your light is shining. This weird tunnel vision in addition to swinging the camera around results in me feeling woozy. Only game to do that too.

RE7 is a great game but I have two complaints.

1) Its too dark (I get its a horror game, but it becomes more frustrating and less scary the darker things are).You can increase the game brightness to fix most of it, but then it looks a little washed out in some areas and becomes less scary.
2) There's a few really annoying common enemies that jerk their heads right before you're about to land a headshot. Makes fighting them ranged tedious.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Antigravitas posted:

Huh, I knew Wurm Online was getting a steam release at some point to try and not die a slow death, but apparently it's this month already https://store.steampowered.com/app/1179680/Wurm_Online/

This feels really weird. Wurm predates Steam, it predates a ton of other games in fact, it's at least 15 years old now.

I'm kind of tempted to start anew on the Steam server. It's such a relaxing game (when you aren't getting lost in the woods and murdered by giant spiders)

How does this compare to Wurm Unlimited? I’d love to play on a smaller carebear server with goons. :kiddo:

Last one I played on was a public server but it had a nice x3 experience/build multiplier which was really helpful.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Odd question: Any US goons willing to sell me their Steam Controller wireless dongle? Mine has been lost and even though Steam Controllers do bluetooth now, my motherboard has pretty pitiful integrated bluetooth which renders it functionally useless. Thanks homies!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
:siren: silverelias :siren: if you're still reading this thread, im pretty sure your steam account got hijacked because im getting some messages from "you" about voting for a team and I hear that's becoming a common steam scam.

stay safe goon!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Anyone having trouble launching elite dangerous? this supposedly medicore game is giving me little incentive to try it out when I launch the game and am still unable to connect.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Ever since I joined SA I stopped looking at journalist game reviews. All I do is basically look at these forums and the steam reviews to get an idea of what the game is like. The latter has the added benefit of floating useful reviews to the top so I can see any dealbreakers which might affect me but not others.

That said, lately I’ve been watching reviews from this YouTuber named Mandalore. His reviews are pretty enjoyable. Good insight, great music selection, no annoying voice or Youtuber personality. A few good jokes which caught me off guard. I found myself watching most of his vids for games I didn’t even plan on playing just because it’s easy listening.

Anyone have any other reviewer suggestions?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well, don't count those chickens just yet

Oof.

I'm really glad I kept my head mostly in the sand for Cyberpunk. I'm still buying it day one (barring awful reviews or whatever), but its kinda nice only knowing that its an action RPG with pretty graphics and from the people who made Witcher. If its anything more than that, fantastic. Oh and also genital sliders, apparently.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Bioshuffle posted:

poo poo, I can't decide if I want Metro Exodus, or Farcry 5. I love both franchises, but I only have enough time to play one of them. Any thoughts?

Mexodus is great. Its my favorite in the franchise and manages to be open world just enough to allow freedom of decision making and movement, but without the trappings of most open world games. its really well done.

e: controversial opinion but above ground metro is much more enjoyable than being a tunnel rat for most of the game in previous installments.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Does the XCom2 dlc make mission timers less annoying? I kept bouncing off that game because I felt rushed by the turn timers and then punished for rushing too much. I was never really sure how the game wanted me to play it. Maybe it being my first xcom game had something to do with it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's a bit of a departure. No David Hayter, more audio log lore dumps than usual, more sandboxy. The story is pretty much unfinished because Kojima happened, and then Konami happened. It's absolutely the peak of the series in terms of loving-around and stealth mechanics, although the open world can tend to feel pretty barren between setpieces.

Yeah it’s the best MGS game in terms of gameplay. Lots of opportunity to action or stealth your way through anything with lots and lots of weapons and vehicles. That said it feels like an action game with a MGS skin put on it at the last minute. I didn’t realize how much I equated MGS with ridiculously long cutscenes mixed in with oodles of real life/historical footage. Sutherland instead of Hayter was kind of nice, as much as I love goofy hammy big boss. He’s also a lot quieter, which kinda blows.

And of course, you will feel shame for your words and deeds when you see one of the supporting characters and think Kojima is a perv.

Great game. Get it if you like MGS or stealth-action. It’s a blast to play.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Cardiovorax posted:

Wouldn't that make it the worst MGS game in terms of gameplay, if classic Metal Gear Solid gameplay is what you actually wanted out of the game? I mean, I was able to have fun with the game when I tried to take it on its own terms, but I have to be honest that I thought it was a real disappointment when I got it after binging through MGS3 just prior.

Actually that’s a pretty good point and I agree totally. I guess I was referring to movement, aiming, cover. The guards eventually catching onto you tranquilizing them or only attacking at night is a great touch. On its own merits is a lot of fun, but you’re right. It’s a “stealth” action on its own terms but not favorably comparable to MGS in terms of level design and base layout.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

And for some reason, folks love MGSV, which does everything else wrong and only has the gameplay feel right.

Farting around in central africa or the middle east is really cool though. The settings alone do a lot to prop it up. The area I hate the most is Mother Base, mostly because its this giant empty shell that feels as if a lot of content is missing. All that design, just to do the target practice minigames? That and the game just ends, then ends again on a really weird note. Despite how expensive this game feels to previous titles, it feels like a whole lot more was missing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

dishonored 2 is arkane's best game.

Prey has been my RPG of the year ever year since I’ve played it but for the life of me I cannot get Dishonored 2 to stick. Prey instantly got my attention and kept it the whole way through, which is incredibly rare for story based games I play. I just can’t get dishonored 2 to stick for some reason, despite being a game I’d love on paper.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Asking here because it’s basically pc gaming general, but I’m having trouble launching forza horizon 4 using gamepass. I click launch on the Xbox app, I get a FH4 splash screen, which then closes after a few seconds, then no game launch.

Event viewer says “Unable to start a DCOM server: MicrosoftSunriseBaseGame...”

Anyone have an idea?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Noita was pretty disappointing for me. I was hoping there’d be more sandbox and experimentation but it’s way more rougelike than I care for. I was expecting those burning sand/falling sand type flash games with a dash of combat, but meh. Adding the edit wand anywhere mod and adding a few spell packs increased the level of fun and sandbox feel, at the least.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Death Stranding is just what I needed. It's like going for a walk in the park. An oddly meditative game where unseen strangers help you.

yeah the invisible multiplayer aspect is really cool and never felt like it was making things too easy. I know someone upthread mentioned they turned it off, but I'd implore them to reenable it because it makes sense thematically and trying to build highway networks on your own would be stupidly tedious. its a great podcast game I 100%'d, which is something I hardly ever do nowadays.

My only gripes with it are that Kojima could have dialed down the crazy a few notches, because eventually you get fatigue and things don't hit as hard as they would have. And that the boss fights are very unreasonably hard on the hardest difficulty. They become tedious slugfests. Do yourself a favor and dial down the difficulty to normal when you get to a boss fight, or better yet, play games on regular and dont be a tryhard like myself :V

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Hub Cat posted:

Death Stranding is about the friends you made along the way

and also about the really weird emoji infested emails you get from people 💦

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Serephina posted:

If this means what I think it means, in that the game has long stretches of low engagement where you can focus your attention elsewhere while still 'playing'... that's really not a glowing endorsement, you know!

I understand the negative connotation. There’s the usual amount of videogame thinking involved, not all too different than any 3rd person action game. The difference is that, given the solitary nature of the game, there’s long periods of gameplay where you aren’t listening to/reading dialogue. So why not catch up on an audiobook or podcast while traveling around UCA, much the same way UPS/FedEx guys deliver house to house with their AirPods on?

e: hearts of iron IV is probably the most technical game I’ve ever played with a massive amount of information on screen to digest at once, but it is absolutely my go-to podcasting game because the nature of the game means that listening is freed up.

buglord fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 24, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Serephina posted:

Alright alright I get it. I have a friend who's perpetually on the same 'Idle' game years on end, and another who absolutely loves pay-to-win mobile Tower Defense games. I think they both have awful taste but don't begrudge them their hobby, so perhaps Death Stranding is not a game I'd enjoy and I'll consider myself warned.

It’s a weird game. I personally loved Death Stranding enough to 100% it, but it’s very hard to pitch to people because it’s really different. Do you like Kojima games? Do you mind if the game takes 6 hours to really get off the ground? Are you okay if maybe 20% of your time is only spent on combat? Does the thought of building road networks and bridges excite you? Can you tolerate ridiculous storytelling with hamfisted themes?

By the time you ask all those questions, the crowd is probably down to a few weirdos willing to give it a shot.
I don’t know where I was going with this post, but yeah. Life is too short to play games people tell you to play. Play what seems fun.

re: Neir Automata: it needs the fan patch to play on PC. the devs released the game and just kinda...left it there despite some glaring issues. I found that pretty unacceptable and yet another reason why I dont trust Square Enix for post-launch support. just a heads up, since the unmodded game feels technically broken.

buglord fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 24, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Whats the best controller for PC gaming that isnt the official Microsoft Xbox One controller? I feel burned after mine died with so little use, and my buddy goes through his controllers quite often with regular use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Hi friends. How does planet zoo compare to planet coaster? Planet coaster was kind of cool, but I had the problem where I felt like I couldn't make my parks pretty enough because the level of customization "required" for a pretty park like you see on YouTube or the Steam Workshop felt so high. Is there decent management gameplay?

I guess im looking for a modern successor to the old isometric Zoo Tycoon, but with more depth.