Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lambert posted:

It's less popular than it used to be, but current examples of flash-based menus in games are World of Warships, The Crew, Alien:Isolation, XCOM2, Hitman, Borderlands 3.

I was gonna make a joke about that being the reason for the awful menu performance (how is this even a concept in 2020?) in BL3, but iirc they also used it in 1 and 2 where it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

orcane posted:

Get BL2, you'll miss out on some of the background story (just read up on it if you care) but even without that, BL2's story works fine on its own and the game has a lot of QoL improvements over the first game, and IMO the better classes. Most of the bullshit design is in the top difficulty modes and raid bosses which you don't have to do if you don't want to. And TPS is a good enough sidegrade for BL2 fans but I wouldn't recommend it as the only Borderlands for someone new to the series.

yeah, some people can still get enjoyment out of it and it's not like it's completely without merit, but the original borderlands is a pretty crappy game. skip it imo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There isn't too much of it in the main game, but that can't be said for the Atlantis DLC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is Torchlight 3 as bad as most people feared (based on the design decisions in 2)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think new expansions to old games are a missed opportunity in general. Plenty of stuff from the last decade plus still looks and plays fine, especially after a cleanup remaster. But Nordic is one of the few publishers both with access to a catalog of old IPs, and an interest in the likely small returns that kind of project brings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Titan Quest is the other game they did this with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I think new expansions to old games are a missed opportunity in general. Plenty of stuff from the last decade plus still looks and plays fine, especially after a cleanup remaster. But Nordic is one of the few publishers both with access to a catalog of old IPs, and an interest in the likely small returns that kind of project brings.

I guess you could say Bethesda did this with Skyrim, though the content was more piecemeal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

strategery posted:

Welp just beat Void Bastards. It wasnt that it was short - it took me 17 hours, but I just couldn't stop playing. It was just excellent. Sort of a FPS version of Rogue Legacy. Ish.

How's it compare to Prey Mooncrash, if you've played that?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you get wishlist sale notifications through the iOS app? I don't see such an option. The app isn't great in general.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

I knew i shoulda taken a picture, got the same thing

Valve are just lackadaisical about giving a poo poo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hexen 2 was an ImmSim?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

OhFunny posted:

My ME1+2 Shepard looked so bad Mass Effect 3 refused to import it so I had to roll with the default look.

that's just how importing into 3 worked (or rather didn't)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Oh thank god, I misremembered, you can change your look like half an hour in.

that was a free dlc added later

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

especially in motion this looks awful. like they're legitimately going to lose a large portion of their potential audience to motion sickness/migraines if they don't tweak the look.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sinteres posted:

You do you, but imo you might want to be flexible on this part too.

Edit: That might sound super negative, but I'm just saying this won't be the only zone stuffed with quests, so I'd try not to play until you're starting to feel burned out and then expect to move on and hit the "real game" where that isn't an issue anymore or anything. That's what I was expecting when I played, and it made the game suck more than it had to that I had that expectation.

yeah there are plenty more hinterlands where that came from. don't feel compelled to do everything, just know it's not much different elsewhere.

it was a dumb, misleading defense of the game. it is what the game is, but it's not something everyone will hate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's not a great game, but it has some fans

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Morter posted:

Because i'm a broke-brained idiot and tis the season for zombies, I turned on Dead Rising 4 after some years, continuing my game... (There's sound but not super important)

https://i.imgur.com/EVPQTCz.mp4

:v:

speaking of crunch, working on that game was allegedly hell

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Since I think I think the pc thread died in its infancy, could I ask here for mice recommendations? Hoping to maybe catch a black friday deal. I liked my G402, but it had a crap middle button, and now the left button is becoming unreliable. Don't want to spend a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ah thanks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mordja posted:

I'm getting a fancy new 1440p, g-sync compatible, high refresh monitor soon, supposed to arrive in the next week. Now, it's kind of the first step in an eventual computer upgrade/new build but for now I'm running a (still totally legit!) 1070gtx with a 6600k, which has mostly served me well in 1080p. What are some games that I can still play smoothly on this hardware that'll also show off my new monitor's bells and whistles?

I just got an LG27GL83A, hooked up to a 970. HL2 at 144Hz blew me away. Little else will run that well (and i can't use the Freesync mode because my card's a generation too old).

The contrast of this thing is really awful, though. Bad enough that I'm considering returning it. Surprised more people didn't raise the issue. All I saw was praise.

Mordja posted:

E: Followup question: I can still play games in 1080p and they'll still look fine, right?

Unfortunately they look like crap from a normal monitor sitting distance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

why does the Big Picture resolution max out at 1080p? i guess no one at valve uses it?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yup, i'll be honest, i opened it by misclick

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thoughts on Phoenix Point?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

sassassin posted:

That's all in KOTOR2 though.

lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you not launch Steam bought Ubi games without going through Steam? You don't need to go through the Epic launcher to play Ubi games through Ubisoft Connect once you register them. Similarly, EA gives you an Origin copy seperate from Steam if you give them a Steam key (at least this is how it used to be).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Steam versions of Ubi games are unique Steam-specific versions that use both clients. Dunno why that's how it shook out, but it's been like that for a long time now.

Kinda sucks, but whatever. Is it normal that their games when ran via Steam ask for UAC permissions every time they launch?

Btw, FC Primal is a great looking game.

And it runs really well on my aging system. (unlike AC4 which i bought at the same time)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I like the predator vision for tracking bleeding prey

But I don't get how it looks so good yet still runs at a constant 60. I can't think of another game this well optimized. (1080p on a i5 6400 and 970)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Oh and the protag caveman has the voice of Adam Jensen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quite enjoying Primal so far. It's unmistakenly FC but this is the farthest the series has strayed from the formula. So far the more traditional elements, like base captures, are my least favorite parts of the game, but that seems to be a smaller focus here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I really like Primal. They use a reconstructed form of Proto Indo-European for the language in the game, it's kinda fascinating how far they went with little details like that. And it's gorgeous, runs well. You can pat animals.

Every so often I'll recognize a word. Like dead sounding similar to the Polish martwy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

how was the rage 2 dlc?

also it seems you have to jump through some hoops just to buy it (link your beth account, buy coins, buy dlc. can't even check the dlc price without linking).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

there's more than one RAGE 2 DLC. i think one of them is ~$15.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lol, quality stuff. First time booting Sunset Overdrive

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Lol, quality stuff. First time booting Sunset Overdrive

Warning to anyone with epilepsy, I got horrible green flickering during cutscenes. Disabling depth of field seems to have fixed it.

The port all round seems pretty crappy.

e:yeah its a buggy mess

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 12, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

IDK, I like it and it's doing something pretty unique.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

is the ruleset/levelling somewhat sensible this time?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I trust Shawn Elliott

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I only played Dead Space for the first time a few years ago, and felt it mostly still held up. Maybe a bit too long, but it's a very atmospheric survival horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm just randomly perusing the store, Space Hulk: Deathwing looks fun, is it?

I have minimal knowledge of 40K.