Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Has this happened to anyone else? I use to love playing massive open world games like GTA or Far Cry when I was younger but these days I literally can't play them more than an hour after getting bored. I feel like I can't play any game that is too open or loose, I need some kind of narrative focus or the gameplay has to be excellent like the Souls games(not massive openworld but still). It's weird cause back in the day I hated games like Half Life or would have hated stuff like Wolfenstein but now I enjoy those games a lot more than the games I loved up as a kid. And its not even a time constraint thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It's funny because my post about questioning my enjoyment of open world vs narrative games was from me starting to play Horizon Zero Dawn. The game is definitely a looker, I had to run it on performance mode on ps4 pro cause the fps was giving me a headache.

https://kotaku.com/sources-horizon-zero-dawn-is-coming-to-pc-1841043569

Jason Schreier basically confirmed it, its coming to pc. Horizon is only 2 year old so I am wondering, if Bloodborne to PC is now a reality if this game sells really well. Would make sense for Sony since they probably have all the sales possible on playstation for it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kennel posted:

Article updated:

Honest mistake (how?) or accidentally published too early?

Platinum has some big game announcement tomorrow on famitsu, so maybe they will talk/update their kickstarter goals.

Apparently they already showed a trailer for it? Maybe it was a mistake then.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Division/Destiny/Warframe are all repetitive but that is kinda the formula of those games. The fun in those games if you can get a squad or a teammate, at least one friend. I found those games to be unplayable solo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Deakul posted:

Oh poo poo that's awesome, I always wanted to play this.

Now we just need Spartan Total Warrior.

Man that game is a classic ps2 action adventure game. So good. It is basically budget God Of War but it is so much fun.

There is only one way to play it on PC currently. I also wish Creative Assembly make some more non Total War games because the Viking/Spartan games were fun and Alien Isolation was dope.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Samuringa posted:

FFXV's story is complete as it is, the DLCs only add some extra bits.

Just finished XV a few months ago and ya I never got the story complaint, that is the least of that game's problems. The combat system has 0 depth, FF13 gets a lot of flack for being linear and just auto battle oriented but the combat system is really fun in the later boss fights + optional areas.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Thank you for STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, lordfrikk. I had a physical copy at some point, but I'm afraid that artifact was lost to the Zone.

Lol for some reason I totally forgot physical companies of PC games existed. Do they still make games on cd roms or just have codes inside boxes?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Remember when the really big games like Baldur's Gate 2 actually came in a 4+ slot jewel case with up to half a dozen CD-ROMs inside?

I guess with some modern games being 100+ GB downloads, even that wouldn't be enough anymore. Have fun switching disks twenty-five times.

I actually had a few collector's edition for games like Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires and C&C. They came in MASSIVE loving boxes with a bunch of goodies. I used my command & conqueror mouse for most of my teenage years.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

bloodborne pc when

gently caress it was so annoying play BB on my ultrawide monitor cause ps4 doesn't scale to that resolution. Instant buy if it comes out. Currently playing Horizon on PS4 pro and that thing will make your console fan go crazy.

Btw lets HOPE this releases on Steam and is not epic exclusive.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nvm Horizon Zer0 Dawn is not egs exclusive. There is a steam page. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151640/Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Complete_Edition/

No specs or price yet but it is the version with the DLC which is really loving good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Btw does anyone know if Valve takes a cut from microtransaction if the game isn't free. I know f2p games Valve takes 15% for microtransactions from the devs.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Insta buy p5r. I actually just put it on my ps store cart a few days ago but didn't check out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bloodborne pc please, need to play that a 2nd time!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Persona 5 also got a switch port, and usually Atlus doesn't do ports at all.

Persona 5 has no switch port. The switch game is Persona 5 Scramble which is a sequel the story of Person5 but with Musou gameplay.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

LOL, at that wording. It's not hard to say "we have no plans to release these games on PC." In fact, that is the usual wording, not "we have made no announcements."

Ya that definitely makes it seem like they intend to bring more than Horizon to PC. My guess is if Horizon does decently for them we will see the floodgates open. Although I don't expect exclusives from last year make it in.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i've said it before and i'll say it again, if it'd get me bloodborne on pc i'd kill and eat everyone in this thread

Ya I have ps4 and played it already once but the performance is weak even on a pro. And ps4 doesn't support 21:9 so you have to play all the games with black box around or stretch it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

drkeiscool posted:

drat, what's the new Bad Rats these days? i've gotta get a comedy gag game for someone

Witcher 3

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Samuringa posted:

And if you're only on PC, I think the only current options for a good mecha action game are either that or the Zone of the Enders 2 remaster.

Not that either is a bad game, but the genre really could use a little love.

I wish they would bring the Gundam Musou games back. They were a fun time and playing through all the gundams from different series was fun. Though they weren't similar to Armored Core, still fun.

Btw there is that Square Enix game Left Alive which is suppose to be a sequel/spinoff to Front Mission series but it has terrible reviews on the store page.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

When is the next big Steam sale?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

If steam doesn't do a massive sale while there's still a massive loving lockdown going on in most of the world for this pandemic, then it's pretty clear that capitalism is a loving lie of course it loving is lol

Ya that's what I was thinking, guess just gonna wait for summer sale but I was thinking of just getting rdr2, has that been in sale?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

DrNutt posted:

I thought I saw it on sale for 25 or 30 % off at one point, but it's not right now. And that may have been on PSN my memory is a little fuzzy on it. I know for sure it's been on sale on consoles a bunch but I swear it's been on sale on Steam as well.

Ya I want on PC just to run it on max, I am pretty sure its on sale on ps4 now, I have a pro but that poo poo is so freaking loud its incredible.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda is good, if you’re a weirdo like me whose favorite game of the original trilogy was the first one. It gives you a lot to explore and dick around with. It’s flawed but I feel like it gets ragged on harder than it deserves because of botched prerelease stuff.

I need to get back to ME:A I am definitely one of those people who has a insanely high tolerance when it comes to *bad* games. Like I am fine quitting movies or shows that I don't find interesting but it takes a lot for me to not like a game. Can't remember the last time I dropped a game because I didn't like it. I usually also know what I don't like so I am not playing puzzle games or fighting games which I am so incredibly terrible at.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

oh yeah, also check out Resonance of Fate

it's grindy and its plotting can be politely described as "unconventional" but aesthetically it definitely sounds like what you're looking for

Eh I always mix up Resonance Of Fate and Enchated Arms. I know in one of the games you are playing a timing based jrpg where people just do cool backflips with guns as basic auto attacks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

shoc77 posted:

Which of the below JRPG series would you guys recommend for someone whose last played one was Final Fantasy 8 almost twenty years ago?

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

It would be a nostalgic trip but the required hours to commit in order to finish a game of this genre these days is kinda intimidating compared to my wee self where I have all the time in the world to gorge on them.

I haven't played the other series but ff9 onward I would suggest X. I haven't played 9 but its beloved and 12 I need to finish I only played half. X is pretty standard but there is a lot of side stuff despite it being linear until like 50-60% through. Sphere grid is probably the best customization mechanic in all the FF games.

FF13 is even more linear than 10 but worse characters, worse music, worse bosses, awful side content that being said X is more reliant on the sphere customization/side content + grindy. FF13 has almost 0 grind and the combat system is fun but it starts only being good after like 10 hours in.

FFXV is awful don't play it. The combat is bad with 0 depth, you can literally just spam the same move and beat the entire game. The story is more interesting than 13 and 10 but it doesn't go anywhere after the mid point and a lot of the story bits were cut out. Like the first half of the game is decent, it's basically monster hunter with a bunch of friends, camping, finding new recipes, fishing, truly epic and the game is drop dead gorgeous on pc but then a major plot point happens and you have to go save the world. Like atleast FF13's combat is decent especially in the end game, FFXV's combat systems are super simple but under-explained? and you don't even need to use them to beat 99% of the game.

Also like I said the story has been cut in many places, if you want to know the full story of FFXV, you need to play 3 DLC pieces, watch 2 5 episode animes, play a side scrolling prologue mobile game, read a novel, I might have forgot some other extra stuff. Of course you don't need to do all of that to understand the story's basic but it was just to make a point of how convoluted FFXV is. It's a lot of good ideas but none of them are fleshed out or stand out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh I wonder what the demographics would be for X-2? XV is just a bunch of dudes being cool and looking handsome, heck Gladiolus is basically shirtless in his default outfit..

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Givin posted:

If FF14 were a single player game series it would be the greatest game of all time. Shadowbringers was one of the best roller coaster rides I've ever been on.

I liked the trials, hated having to group with randos.

Ya i've heard from so many friends with similar taste to me that FFXIV is amazing and they are not even big mmorpg fans. I been trying to see some story playthrough on youtube or something but haven't found anything that is not too long. With summer beginning soon, I really don't want to start an MMO.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

funkmeister posted:

Well, THIS summer is a great summer for an MMO. :(

Hah ya maybe.

Btw I was thinking of playing Skyrim but I never got the DLCs on PC. It seems like the only legal way to get the dlc is to buy the special edition? How stupid is that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya hope at some point Yakuza is all pc. That's my favorite thing about PC gaming, you can just have everything in one place.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

as someone entirely unfamiliar with final fantasy 13 i'm pleased to report that both motivations sound like complete gibberish to me

As someone who played ff13, its still dogshit even with this minor clarification especially the story/world.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Do you y'all think there is someone out there with all the games on steam in his library(purchased)?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just wanted to say the play next feature is pretty good.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Xakura posted:

FC2 was cool :colbert:

3 and 4 were fun enough, but man, FC5 ruined any sort of good will I had for that series.

Far Cry 2 is like the opposite fun but at the same time I think that's what the dev wanted. It really feels like being a random mercenary stuck in the middle of a tribal war in malaria stricken Africa. Everything is literally trying to kill you, you can only save at certain points and there is no real fast travel apart then the bus rides. Even in the ending the game basically tells you the conflict here is bigger than you and your actions had no effects at all.

While pretty much every other Far Cry is the opposite, the world is you playground and everything you do has a consequence on the islands(areas).

I definitely like FC2 but it's a weird game and I can see why some people found it overbearing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Xakura posted:

Oh yeah, all true. However, the RPG-7 malfunctioning and farting out a RPG right at your feet? That is hilarious

More games need weapon failures.

That was awesome, old soviet era ak's malfunctioning in the worse possible moment is a trademark of that game.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started Stars Wars Fallen Order, man this game is brutal even on Jedi Master difficulty. The combat is pretty well done but I feel like it will take me sometime to use all my tools properly and be efficient in the combat. The enemy's are a lot faster than your typical souls enemy and deal way more damage but I guess you have force powers to compensate for that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Veotax posted:

EDIT: DA2 sucks, that goes without saying. I was just curious.

I think following up Origins was incredibly hard but I still think DA2 is perfectly fine. It has it's issues but the combat is really good mix of action/tactics, more so than DA:I.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

People who have insider sources again saying Bloodborne pc is happening for like the 4th time in 2 years. I would double dip instantly but if we don't get any news on it this year I will never believe this rumor and same for Persona5.

NikkolasKing posted:

So somebody said some EA games came back to Steam and so I went and bought DA2 because I still love it.

Anyway, it's like with Assassin's Cred 2 where it's really loving dumb and I bought it on Steam but it has to launch and open up something else so why the gently caress even bother. Anyway, I have Origin but when Steam tries to launch the game through Origin, Origin just says DA2 isn't installed. It is, but it's installed by Steam.

I have no idea what to do here. Any help be appreciated.

Ya I have Origin access still got it on steam. Btw for your error do you have Steam and Origin installed in the same partition?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

No because the transphobia is far less excusable nowadays.

I only played P5 but there was some homophobic jokes there as well although I didn't interact with those characters much so can't tell how bad it was. I do know it was removed in Persona 5 Royal western ver.

Also P4Golden is a day 1 for me after seeing how good p5 was. One of the best series I never got to play.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I loved P5 and will be hopping on the others as soon as they come to steam. News that the games may be disappointing is troubling but i'll buy them anyway

Ah I always thought or from what I read P4G is considered the best or one of the best along with P5. Many people just bought PStvs to play it on a big screen from Vita. Not sure about P3 but I know p1/p2 are pretty different, p3 is where the modern series kinda got it's template.

One thing for those who never played Persona, but the persona system is one of the best parts of the game. I know this sounds obvious but many persona fans normally try to sell the social aspects of the game which I thought were fine but just good. The persona system and combat is really drat good in 5, I am guessing this has less quality of life changes but still a similar style where you just fuse monsters to create the perfect being.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

and to complete the circle, bringing this convo back to the thread,

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/04/15/atlus-persona-5-unused-dialogue-punishes-pc-video-game-pirates/

There was a literal quest taken out of Persona 5 where the "Phantom Thieves" punish PC pirates. I mean I don't support piracy any form but kinda ironic when it comes from the group of characters who are all about upending society and changing/breaking rules.

Atlus are complaining about PC piracy even when their game is not on PC. Ya no poo poo if it's available on some emulator people who can't buy it will try that, atleast give them the option to get it legitmately where it doesn't cost a additional console. Also consoles are notriously expensive in the countries where emulation/piracy is high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Its dumb to criticize a game for cut content.

I am not criticizing P5 for that just pointing out how stupid Atlus's stance on piracy/pc gaming has been in the last decade or so. Btw P5 is one of my favorite games of this gen.