Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
But also you can revive like Sekrio? I don't know what the hell is going on but I can't stop laughing at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It also has action game skill/combo buying and a magic system. I'll stop posting but I dunno, it seems like it could be a lot worse for the price and how insane it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I beat the two levels currently in there and I didn't hate it but I definitely had some gripes.

Encounter and enemy design are not great in places. There are a handful of more elite/bigger enemies and once you get them low they basically spam their deadliest move until you kill them. The hitboxes on these moves are typically very bad.

The world does in fact randomize in multiple ways when you die; layout, enemies, traps, shops, etc. You also lose everything not equipped on death, including skill gems - how you level skills - blood, crafting items, vendor junk, everything that doesn't have the Permanent Retention item stat. This is whatever, ultimately, but is a weird choice.

The combat itself is Dark Souls in the main but also dips sideways into DMC with weapon combos, launchers, air moves and a bit of Nico's grappling hook. Parries, dodge dash and roll a la W3. The combat is good, bad enemies sometimes aside and I had a fair bit of fun with it.

I dunno, for eight bucks I'm interested in seeing what they do with it and maybe trying the Bloody Palace mode. I don't hate it but it's definitively low rent in comparison to everything it's aping so don't get in expecting total brilliance if you get it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Typhoid Mabel doesn't really have the same ring to it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is kind of an inherently flawed analogy in some ways but Dead Rising at its best is kind of like Cultist Simulator or a few others games, it's a time management puzzle game that happens to have some sweet zombie murder in the sandwich somewhere.

Someone made a really good post/tweet/something that I can't find now about how Cultist Sim is a plate spinning game but occasionally someone will shoot at you while someone in the background shouts in foreign languages and a bunch of other stuff and I always got the same vibes from DR.

Orv
May 4, 2011
On the off-chance that the Rocket League Linux/Mac news affects anyone here, Steam is now doing sight unseen refunds on that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Huh, looks like Torchlight Frontiers is now Torchlight III and no longer a F2P MMO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo-KscmCsbk

I don't particularly object to this. TL2 wasn't incredible but it was fun enough for a run through.

Orv
May 4, 2011

catlord posted:

Hm. I tried out that copy of Torchlight I got on GOG for free a while ago and it was ok, but I didn't love it. I've realised that I'm not a Diablo fan, I'm just a fan of Diablo 1, so I've been trying to find something that's more D1 than D2 and Torchlight fell more on the D2 side. How's Grim Dawn, in that way?

As someone who also loves Diablo 1 to death - though I still love the ARPGs that have come since - this is an extremely insane thing to say given that Torchlight 1 is about as Diablo 1 clone as anything has ever gotten. Granted the gameplay is a little more modern than that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Artelier posted:

I just remembered that I got Shadow Warrior 2 from GOG some time back and am now happily shooting people! Though all this sidequesting is...eh...

It ain't great! I'd recommend just blitzing through the game as minimally as it allows you. It's fun enough but the moment you start treading off the main story the cracks yawn wider until oops bad game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Griefor posted:

Couple posts ago catlord ends up on Darkest Dungeon of all games as the best modern iteration of Diablo I. Which means catlord is looking more for theme, which is a valid thing to look for but framing it as "I'm looking for a game like Diablo I" without specifying that seems a bit off.

I mean I don't necessarily disagree with that from a thematic perspective but yeah, it's no big deal.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Do not like =! bad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fallom posted:

It'd still be an awful business decision even if I liked the game

I mean now it would, yes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kennel posted:

Are external USB 3.1 SSDs fine for gaming?

Some of the loads can be potentially kinda rough but it's what I was using for a while before I went oops all SSDs and once in gameplay it was never a real issue.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Gonna start The Witchehhhh 3 today, any mods that are absolutely essential?

None are essential and depending on your preference in gameplay some are actively detrimental.

You might want auto-apply oils, inventory weight limit increases or various other QoL improvements but none of them are necessary to enjoy the game as is.

Do not use the fast travel mod as it regularly breaks quests.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It depends on the hat, the game and a variety of other factors. If there's something with a peak that's wildly out of line it might have been some kind of money laundering angle in the past but the simple reality is that the hat/skin market for Valve games is patently absurd. Like you might think that $300 for a knife skin in CS:GO is clearly some kind of fraudulent activity but no that's just how much they were worth and were bought at for a long time. DotA stuff generally doesn't get that high but it gets up there and TF2 stuff has generally been all over the place until recently when a bug - or whatever it was in the end - meant the market totally crashed because of sudden, easy access to ultra-rare items.

Orv
May 4, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Well I mean like, the TF2 soldier hat with the horns that everyone had, if that spiked 10x for a single day with plenty of sales the rest of the time, were people suddenly desperate for that common hat one time, or was someone using hacked accounts to buy items from other specific accounts at silly prices?

I get it for rare things, or stuff where all of a sudden there was a reason to have it and people who didn't went nuts, but some of these look real shady. I know there's a whole fraud thing with CS but I wasn't sure if it was happening with the TF2 hats too

I'd imagine it's more likely than not. Steam has made efforts to curtail that kind of stuff over the last few years but there's probably only so much they can close those avenues off.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xun posted:

How does Code Vein's multiplayer actually work? I hear its co-op is like monster hunter where it's convoluted but you progress together with your friends but also that its darksouls style co-op where people can show up to help but no progress is saved for the visitor

It works like MH in that you send up a request for co-op joiners and people search for people to join that need help, rather than discrete signs a la Soulsborne. Everything else is exactly Soulsborne.

Orv
May 4, 2011
For what it's worth I beat W3 on the hardest difficulty without oiling once beyond like, I think it was an alghoul fight that I was doing too low level? It's wholly unnecessary to even bother with the oils.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I will buy anything those dudes make and while I am not gonna KS anything ever again I'll get it the moment it's otherwise available.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's interesting to think about for me, that I really loved nuXCOM but I've bounced off almost every other one that has been made, at least the more direct derivatives including XCOM 2. Sometimes I wonder if I just wasn't that into the whole thing in the first place or what. My gaming preferences have definitely undergone a wild shift in the last year or so but that one keeps puzzling me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I think Sekiro is finally letting me go, about 500 hours later :shepface:

I know there was the new Stars War, and it took some cues from Sekiro; how did that turn out? Aside from that, besides MGR (which I've played to death already) and of course the soulsborne series (which isn't really the same in gameplay at all), is there anything else out there with that same appeal, in the skill challenge of learning rhythms like deflection/striking, or whatever equivalent?

Fallen Order is a very low-rent Sekiro. Parrying has the same importance but the whole game is very safe in terms of expectations. It's the ultimate feel good popcorn game and while Sekiro experience of your level means you're gonna just chew through it definitely isn't on the same level of tightness or design. I'd say it's still very fun, a little bit of QoL stupidity aside with maps and Metroidvania stuff and worth a go.

Orv
May 4, 2011
All you need to know about Fallen Order.

https://twitter.com/Nohryl/status/1200849678876790784

(I still recommend it though.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
DxM is a game that gets the Armored Core parts down half way and then flubs the rest. Customization, control and feel are all tremendous. Mission design, unlike the good Armored Core's which are as much puzzles as shoot all the guys missions, is extremely simple and barely varied at all across the length of the campaign.

If you've been waiting for the next Armored Core this isn't it but it's also not say, Front Mission Evolved. You could do worse but it's daftly overpriced for what it is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Going by my memory of DS1, Sekiro is pretty linear in comparison, which I consider a good thing. Theme parks over sandboxes personality, me; I find aimless wandering and uncertainty about where to go more annoying than interesting (Breath of the Wild and very, very few other games excepted). How's Surge 2 sit on that scale?

It sits somewhere in between. It has the looping paths that everyone always screams about in 1 but also those paths tend to just all branch off linear paths from area to area and fight to fight. I was super impressed, even as someone who liked Surge 1, just how much of an improvement Surge 2 is in almost every way, including some good changes that Souls-likes that come after should steal. It is a purely gameplay-driven experience though, the story is for poo poo and the world is relatively boring.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

One more on Surge 2 before I shut up. I'm watching the SkillUp review and he really really hates the camera, especially on bosses. And it does look pretty dire compared to Sekiro, where I was never more infuriated than when the drat thing got caught in a corner and I ate Owl's goddamn firecrackers :argh:

So is it really that bad in Surge 2?

I don't recall any major problems with it but that's of course anecdotal. There are a lot less giant gently caress-off robot bosses that your camera gets stuck on like the first game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQCpJ6eOBpo
Really don't understand the point of a gritty, realistic King's Bounty. The part of that video where they show footage from Legend looks so much more lively.

I loved Legend to death and then five games later I was very, very done with the entire concept. I agree that this is maybe not the best way to take the series but I'm at least willing to give them some rope.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

You're supposed to feel that way. Don't worry, Ammy just as unimpressed with it as you are. He grows on you, though.

:hmmno:

Orv
May 4, 2011
RAGE 1 is bad. There are people who will tell you, nay insist that it has good enemy AI but they are perfidious knaves and should not be trusted.

Just skip it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People have been talking about it off and on if you wanna read back but the main thoughts seem to be that the combat is good, it has some good ideas on the ARPG formula but it might also have some potential pain points like respecs or other QoL. People who have it will know more soon with the release patch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Xaris posted:

Ah got it, I guess I missed or skimmed when it was brought up before. Maybe I'll pick it up for pre-release price and sit on it for a bit for release-patch and refund it if it seems like a mess.

Check when the dates for that are, since the refund window is two weeks, just to be sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

Flawed-but-not-fun.

It has some ideas and bits and pieces of it are good but by and large it is one of those Souls-like made by people who are fans of Souls but do not understand the actual design principles of Souls. They've since done much better in Surge 2 but LotF is entirely skippable.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think LotF got a lot more poo poo than it deserved when it came out as basically the first Souls clone out of the gate but now that others have come out and are actually good it's not worth playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The main campaign and sidequests of Division 2 are like 35-45 hours of very solid RPG shooter gameplay after which if you have absolutely no interest in any kind of the MP aspects you can totally drop the game without any real loss. Especially as a co-op game for up to 4 it's a solid piece of stuff for $3.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Many, many more people hate the Steam controller than like it. It has some niche uses and if you just want a mouse replacement on the couch it'll do that fine but for anything else you have to spend hours doing configuration and hours adjusting and it's poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone here happen to know where I might find the older Call of Duty games on PC for cheap? I'm doing a thing where I stream the campaigns of each COD game starting with the original Modern Warfare, which I found for like five bucks. But everything AFTER that is still in the $20-40 range. Right now I'm looking for World At War and Modern Warfare 2, but IsThereAnyDeal has them both at 20 bucks which is... way too much for a ten year old game of which I'm only going to play the ~6 hour single player.

I'm sure I've very nominally wrong about this because it's happened like once or twice but even the oldest CoD games only ever go down to $20 for the most part. You're boned.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve thought about buying Infinite Warfare for the campaign a few times but it’s always waaay too much, even on sale. CoD campaigns are too short for those prices and the multiplayer is always long dead for the older ones.

Actually depending on the CoD the old MPs are surprisingly resilient, especially on PC. Not thousands of people or anything but you'll probably be able to find games of most of them on PC for far, far longer than it would make any sense to.

That said yes the pricing and sales structure for CoD is totally bullshit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Maybe they're clickbats, you won't believe what happens next

Mmmmmm.

Orv
May 4, 2011
On the occasions where I bothered to use my Steam Link I'd just put the top of an old particle board desk on my knees and that worked just fine but getting comfortable with the vastly oversized piece really hosed with my posture so depending on what you're using I wouldn't recommend it for a particularly long time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The most absurd part is somehow the ashtray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

So glad I still have my disc copy of CoH, the multiplayer balance changes hosed up the single player.

Yeah not really.