Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The idea that they would backport the MP stuff to SP has always seemed completely nuts to me but I will admit them scrapping SP expansions in favor of making them MP content is a poo poo move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

I'm not talking about the heists or poo poo, I'm talking about cars and stuff. How hard would it be to backport a car into single player too?

I mean it would (probably?) not be that hard but it'd also be AFAIK unprecedented and worth nobodies time to do.

I don't think it would be bad if they did or anything I'm just not surprised they don't.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kin posted:

I've been trying to get into Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, but for some reason i just keep bouncing off of it and don't know why.

I'm big into things like Age of Empires and RTS in general, but i dunno if it's the tutorial or the low res interface or the controls or something but i always get a "nah, can't be arsed" feeling when I try to play it.

Is there a certain point that it clicks or something?

It's a bad mod for Age of Empires 2 (base not expansion mind you which means it lacks a bunch of QoL) and as fond as I am of it I cannot in good conscience recommend you continue to slam your face into it if you're not already feeling it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Impermanent posted:

hey Orv thanks for reccomending this game it loving rules

explosivo posted:

Seconded, this is a lot of fun!

:yeah:

Glad you both enjoyed it!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Morter posted:

Have the stinking suspicion that most people don't read the last few posts of the previous page so...

Even as a Serious Sam Liker I cannot really recommend 4 for any reason at all.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

I want a Drakengard remaster.

Do you though

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

it's weird that the snes controller predates the xbox layout by a decade but somehow the xbox layout is definitely the correct one

Well you see one is from a trash console

Orv
May 4, 2011
The much better version of this joke seems to have gotten nuked from youtube so have this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPKHxbOg19s

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

In the censored version of the game they gave to Twitch streamers as a promo, like 95% of the feedback scenes are completely censored, and several stories are completely removed.

For anyone unfamiliar with it, Super Seducer is basically a very cringy CYOA PUA game. People fell in love with it because the bad choices you could make and the cutaway scenes with feedback from the guy surrounded by women lounging around or fawning over him were hilarious. Super Seducer 2 leans heavily into this, it's almost entirely self-parody. It's genuinely hilarious, but it also still tries to give real pickup/dating advice, half of which is still hilariously cringy, so it's both deliberately and inadvertently funny. Super Seducer 3 appears to take things even further in that direction, but it's hard to tell much from the heavily-censored preview they released to streamers.

:hmmno:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

god, imagine having to be a loving teenager for hundreds of years

No, thank you.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nvidia's RTX voice stuff does really good at cutting background noise if you have a last two gens card from them. You can also make it work on older cards without too much of a performance hit and I think maybe the second release of it works on AMD too? Don't quote me on that.

It occasionally also mistakes some peoples voice as background noise depending on some poo poo so it doesn't work for everyone or you'll have to speak up, but it's a neat piece of tech.

Orv
May 4, 2011
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882450

Thread's here. It's not all that active these days, sometimes around operator releases or other content drops but it's one of those things where it's kind of all been said and the people still playing it are just playing, not posting.

They're usually happy to help new people out though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

Apologies if this exact analogy has been drawn before or is it just too obvious to bear repeating, but it occurred to me today that the current (and increasing) trend toward subscription services and walled gardens which offer "free (but almost never complete) games" is not a new idea at all even in the realm of PC gaming but merely a revival (but worse) of the old idea of shareware. I say "worse" because old-school shareware didn't usually charge you for the demo (and if it did at least gave you a physical product e.g. a box/disk or magazine), and was upfront about being essentially 'the first hit is free' adware for the real game, whereas Microsoft, EA, et al charge you a subscription for the privilege of access to glorified demos for their actual product: expensive DLC.

I don't think that plays, honestly. I've subbed to all of the major publisher subscriptions at one point or another and played the entire amount of every game I wanted to play on them without paying anything else, barring the sub rolling over. Pretty much all of the publisher subscriptions give you either the deluxe or the ultrafancy everything digital editions which gives you the various DLC etc.

Ironically the one that does not, at least with some games, Game Pass, is still ridiculously good value because it frequently lets me play games that I was iffy on buying myself that I've enjoyed and gone on to buy the base game and DLCs of later on.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 24, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

Really? I have noticed the opposite with the Xbox (e.g. Flight Simulator) and EA subscriptions (look at Sims 4, or how many games limit you unless you subscribe to the super duper subscription), and with the games that Epic gives away.

I think in the case of EA, and this is very much a lovely piece of reasoning I recognize that, but $5 for every game and every DLC would definitely be way too nice for them to offer. The $15 option does generally have most things, AFAIK and probably in the case of the Sims, since it's one of the few things that they haven't hosed up in recent years, or at least the one people are still buying, that's probably what they're doing there. Which sucks rear end! No argument there.

I can't speak to Flight Sim's DLC but I believe from the beginning their plan was to do the fremium modules like they've been doing with FSX for years, which is a lovely model from the top since it's basically just another "Flight sims are a niche market so we should vastly overcharge for poo poo." Game Pass in general also doesn't include DLCs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Superanos posted:

The only subscription I plan to keep in the future is the grandfathered tier of Humble Choice because it's about 60€ every six months for a bunch of monthly games I can keep forever and they're all Steam keys. And I can skip monthly bundles where there's too many games that I don't want or already own.

Game Pass is heavily hurt by Microsoft's decision to use their lovely Windows 10 Store for it. Whenever that thing bugs out and fails to delete a game, it's time to format the drive because MS Store wants to hide its files from your PC and won't let you do anything to them manually. Mods are also not allowed. I did the Xbox Gold conversion to get Game Pass for cheap and it ends in May 2022 but I have barely used it at all this year so it feels like a waste of money to me.

They are starting to roll out limited modding for some games on it but yeah, the way it handles the files is completely poo poo and I have no idea, other than some bizarre remnant of UWP, why they do that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am extremely excited for Biomutant. Not because I think it's going to be incredible but because I think it's going to be a giant mess and I am here for it.

It'd be cool if it was good too though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yuji Naka hasn't made a good game in literally 20 years.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

If you want to look at another potentially “meh” techno-organic Dark Souls (but with guns) game there’s also Immortal Unchained.

Hellpoint is a firmly Okay take on Souls-like that does almost nothing new. Immortal Unchained is just actively bad in basically every way and I cannot at all recommend it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I will kill all the good and caring daddies. :smugdog:

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is my only real exposure to Kingdom Hearts and I'm fine with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjiHufVEc7g

Orv
May 4, 2011
Deezlit

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know how the main game of Rage 2 is extremely satisfying when you are murdering dudes and then extremely tedious in between those moments?

What if they fixed that by making the murdering dudes also extremely tedious? That is the DLCs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Haha, oh yeah, how so?

In the typical way that most games gently caress it up, honestly. "We've given you an extremely powerful suite of tools, weapons and abilities. Here's our DLC in which basically every new enemy has some way of no-selling your coolest poo poo."

The teleporting fuckers were the worst but they all sucked. Granted I was not really into Rage 2 for a challenging experience because while I thought the power fantasy was good, the actual challenge of the encounter design wasn't. So maybe you might find it less annoying and more properly challenging, to be fair.

E: I should probably clarify that I feel like "no-selling your coolest poo poo regardless" and "forcing you to use your coolest poo poo in different ways" are different things, Rage 2 does the former.

Orv fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 31, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011
Rage 2 DLC, much like yesteryear Ubisoft story DLC it is entirely unrecommendable I feel so you're not really missing anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hmm, that feels like something that Valve might either slap down or look at with extreme interest depending. Or more likely than anything just let it slide but still, that's pretty poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I know the Steam forums are cheating but holy poo poo gamers are a mistake.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean it's not a cool situation to be in but that's not a proportional or rational response in the slightest.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Maybe they're already on edge about 3D All-Stars going away and this is what tipped them over

The 3D All-Stars thing is just Nintendo continuing to skate by on its cult, honestly. It's a Tuesday.

And while the dude saying that poo poo to anybody remains a completely uncool way to go about this, apparently Overfall was co-developed by another studio, in some capacity, who just removed themselves from the publisher/dev list of Overfall today. So who knows what's going on there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ErrEff posted:

A new update on Overfall:

The development entity "Pera Games" doesn't seem to exist anymore, but the devs are still in contact with one another and have control over the game app. Overfall was originally a kickstarter project that got funded in 2015.

So based on some 'reports' they saw about key reselling sites, they decided to revoke a huge cluster of keys today in one fell swoop, then set up a feedback form for people to complain.

Turns out almost everyone had bought the keys through Fanatical. So now they're trying to get this fixed through Fanatical again. This is whack, it shouldn't happen. IMO Valve should at least comment on this.

Gathering Tree is apparently the new studio that some of the devs are working at now.

This sounds like another case of "Valve sets up a system and doesn't touch it until it breaks hilariously and/or costs them money" so they might actually comment on this one, or do something.

Still, not a great way to handle the secondary seller issue there, guys.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is that a mediocre looter-shooter in your pocket or are you just happy to have something to play?

(I'm sorry[?])

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean it's honestly not terrible, the gameplay is fun enough if you play it like they intend you to, the loot is pretty okay, the abilities are good and recharge quickly and the shooting is Better Than Anthem if nothing else.

For my part I had so many connection issues with the beta that I am passing on it, just out of how badly that went purely on my end for something that may or may not be fixable because of weird internet/ISP/whatever vagaries.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ambaire posted:

Isn't that 'cart before the horse' logic?

"Why should we buy a horse when in a month the cart will only be very lightly loaded and it can be pulled by a man?"

Instead of "Let's buy a horse for the cart, so that we will actually get enough players to make it worthwhile and the players will stay around and keep it loaded since there's no problems with the starting off?"

Just seems like backwards and stupid logic.

Also, they could temporarily rent some extra server capacity, right?

Their logic, which in the days of auto-scaling AWS is on shaky ground, is that it's not worth the extra costs on servers for the two or three days that people are going to be slamming the login or game servers.

And for what it's worth (not much) some companies have figured this out over the years. The last couple WoW launches have been pretty solid, a couple edge cases aside on some servers, games do launch with online focus or online only functionality without categorically being shitshows these days, it's just that they're few and far between. Also, Sinteres is correct in a fun way because the games industry is, in a lot of places, an old boys club where people who have been doing this for the last thirty, forty years have become the game dev boomers and refuse to change how they handle things.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Det_no posted:

They are the same goons that worked in Starbound.

They in particular are not responsible for the hellish shitshow that Starbound turned into, so let's not go spreading that kind of poo poo around.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sebmojo posted:

It looks like the sort of game I would buy them never play, but I would read the hell out of a good LP of it.

There have been several here in the LP forums in fact! There's a couple linked in the thread OP and a couple more that aren't IIRC.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

That was the guy who argued copyrights should be like 20 years right? that seemed legit.

He is the epitome of "old man has bad opinions cause old" but he does occasionally make salient non-video game opinion points.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Egosoft posted:

Almost ten years ago, with the release of X3: Albion Prelude

gently caress!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts (naaaames) is a much better take on a more controlled version of Ghost Warrior 3 and while Sniper Elite is still the much better long ranged murder arcade by far it's not entirely without merit.

It's also not remotely worth the rest of that bundle but if you ever end up with a key and like sniping games, worth a go.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Except you own an image on a system that can up and vanish overnight and almost all of them certainly will at some point in the future, leading to an extremely funny panic from the lovely rich people that bought them but don't understand the internet.

Ideally that could happen without destroying the planet, mind you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

You don't own the image. You own a json blob hosted on a startup's server that describes the image. There's no mechanism in place to prevent someone from deleting or changing that description. It's dumbfucks all the way down.

Yeah, it's beautiful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Goddamn that is a look. I don't think I'm all that into adventure games anymore but that might have to be an exception.