Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Or just killing everything in the Mako cause for all of ME1's good parts and flawed parts at no point is it a hard game.

E: Granted I have not played it on the further difficulties but I also don't know why on earth you would play an RPG-Shooter on "Make fights take ten minutes" difficulties so maybe it's not a me thing. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s like how XCom The Bureau isn’t a bad game

Objection, your honor.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Granted that is a fun thing but getting there just, isn't great.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Was EYE a fluke? Anyway, my money's on Darktide for 40k shooting.

I feel like we should be clear, and should have been for years now that EYE is a bad game. It's inscrutably designed, from the maps to the systems, most of the guns are not actually any good, even allowing for the translation the story doesn't make sense.

I love EYE because it's a nightmare morass of weird nonsense, but I think "Wait is Streum On actually bad at making games?" has a pretty easy answer.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

I mean, whether or not the guns in EYE are "good" as in even slightly balanced or whatever, pretty much all of them are fundamentally satisfying to fire. Like, I just went and watched a weapon video and even the most basic pistol has a bassy kick to it.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

EYE is the worst game I've played in which I have triple digit hours and which I thoroughly & earnestly enjoy.

I think those necromunda guns look & sound substantially better than space hulk's, somewhat janky animations aside.

I mean I'm still gonna play Necromunda without question but I think it's maybe less of a surprise that Deathwing and maybe Necromunda are kinda not great, basically.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Scholar of the First Sin? I liked vanilla DS2 fine, but I've heard that apparently a lot of StFS's remixing relies on gank squads and difficulty for its own sake encounter design?

It has a couple bad places where it feels like a bad romhack; Earthen Peak and the opening half of Iron Keep are both miserable but more than enough of the game is changed well to be worth your time if you like DS2 in the first place.

Orv
May 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Doesn't Scholar of the First sin change the placement of a lot of enemies to be less bullshit?

Some less, some more. It moves a lot of enemies around, adds a few more here, takes a few away there. It makes a few solid changes to item placement, streamlines a few things that make more sense than they do in vanilla (why on earth is this here? kinda things) and integrates the DLC into the main game by placing the DLC keys into the world rather than put into your inventory at the start.

I think Scholar is inarguably an upgrade to vanilla and there's very little reason to play vanilla now that it exists but it's still the question of if that's worth another $7.50 or whatever for a game you already own.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

The biggest problem for me is the sandy beach island prison snore fest.

And holy moly have Larian stuck to that loving theme.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Larian can do anything else other than that in Baldur's Gate 3.

I've got bad news, friend.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Weird hunch some people in here might care about this.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1380543764221939712?s=19

Orv
May 4, 2011
It goes on sale for like $4 and I suspect it's gonna see a spike in purchases for the summer sale.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

To set the record straight here: Ironworks Studio is the product of Vince D. Weller, who was involved with the old Fallout fan communities, No Mutants Allowed and Duck and Cover, but who was most heavily tied to RPG Codex. You can probably learn all you need to know from this old RPS interview with him. Development of Age of Decadence goes back to at least 2005, before even Oblivion was released or Bethesda bought the Fallout IP. It was basically driven by the disappearance of classic cRPGs and long before the modern reemergence of the genre.

I like that the list of things he was involved with gets progressively worse.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Wait, is this on the PC version too? How do you unlock it there? Same method if you just plugin a controller?

It is, I believe the equivalent M&KB binds would work but yeah that too. There's an arcade machine in the game for it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Reading up more on this, the arcade machine is pretty late into the game. So there is some effort there. Hopefully fans can just strip out the files though and create a proper port that doesn't require Homefront Revolution to play.

That'd be nice and hopefully not DMCA worthy but I wouldn't count on it depending on how it's in there.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Revolution was actually good, not even "pretty okay" just legit good. Had some problems and the Far Cry outpost style world got kind of same-y by the end but it's fun.

E: Also Second Sight literally just came back to GOG and Steam yesterday or today so THQ Nordic might actually be moving on those licenses now.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 9, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

God I don't even care about Timesplitters (don't know what it is tbh) but now I want to play Homefront Revolution again! As a fan of Hitman I enjoy hiding in dumpsters before murdering a lot of people.

You should definitely try the port when you get there if you do play it again, I think from what games you've said you've enjoyed in here you'd probably enjoy it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A good poster posted:

April 10th is the one-year anniversary of the release of Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4. What are the odds Square will announce a PC release date within the next week? Is the Intergrade version on PS5 going to reset the usual 12-month exclusivity window to start on June 10th?

:shrug: The good money was on a years exclusivity but AFAIK they also haven't said any official word of that at all so it could be within the next week and it could be months yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Why is that bitch Emily walking around the bedroom soaking wet? I don't want to deal with wet floors Emily, and I certainly don't want to deal with you suing me after you slip and fall on your own mess. Dry off in the shower before you get out!

Certainly a post.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baller Time posted:

Only the fluffiest carpet or most porous wood flooring for my bathroom

Having flashbacks to the joists saga and that dude's artisanal mold growing bathtub hole.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

In case you were unaware, DMX has passed on.

I still do not understand what we were shutting down or opening up shop on.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Today in Farm Sim, it's OSHA time! Yes, the woodchipper is on.

The ol' Steve Buscemi.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Somebody admitting that not only have they never seen Fargo, but also that they are entirely unaware of its events through even cultural osmosis is like...it's like somebody admitting they've never heard of air! Never tasted water. Never felt their own skin!

It's ridiculous. Preposterous. I'm dizzy from it.

Oh, geez...

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Fargo came out in 1996.

Shut your goddamn mouth.

:negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sweet sweet sweet sweet sweet.

Orv
May 4, 2011
God I had forgotten about Michael Dorn with that haircut, that just feels so wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011

A good poster posted:

I guess Steam now charges me BC's provincial sales tax. Is that a new thing, and does it apply to other countries?

I didn't have sales tax on Steam until Texas started charging digital sales tax uhhh... number years ago, it's been a minute now. In that case at least it changed over immediately.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sad question posted:

I've been on a bit of a Sherlock kick after finishing Devil's Daughter. So when the Frogwares games got discounted on Steam I grabbed their bundle and started working through the games in chronogical order. I was aware I might be in for some rough time.

Next up: an actual game.

I admire you and fear your power for having the wherewithal to do this but I feel like you should know that it's gonna keep being rough until the very end.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And then I just never played any source games again, RIP.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you like it it's worth it. Elex is an insane, weird game that is very firmly in love or hate territory. It doesn't have an incredible ending or anything for you to work towards but it's fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

Since the thread is on the topic of disappointments, I just completed Aquanox: Deep Descent.

My expectations weren't high. Like the voice-acting is bad, but Aquanox has quite possibly the worst English voice-acting I've ever heard in a game, so that isn't worth complaining about. But Aquanox: Deep Descent was worse that even my low expectations, and damning for a game, lost all the gameplay fun the series had.

Well that sucks rear end. I held off grabbing it even as much as I enjoyed Aquanox in the past (and still do) because it had a pretty rough development cycle and it just looked like it didn't come out great but that's even more disappointing than I imagined.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're not wrong, Wargroove is a bad (in a long line of them) Advanced Wars clone.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FuzzySlippers posted:

Wargroove wasn't bad but it was just mediocre enough that I got too bored to continue playing. It looks pretty though.

There have been a lot of indie games that manage to make a decent clone of an old niche game so I can't fault their execution too much, but the experience is just not good enough to be worth playing. It's like I play enough to remind me of how much I like the original and so I just go and play that.

I am of the opinion that not one single Advance Wars follow-on has been good enough to play instead of just playing Advance Wars again. I don't think I'm alone in this but who knows.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The thing that gets me about Days Gone is I still don't understand why they hired Sam Witwer, who can act and then asked him to phone it in as hard as possible.

But also it's extremely funny that technically you're playing Starkiller in the zombie apocalypse.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

I got the ARPG itch after watching Diablo 2 Resurrected gameplay over the weekend. Does Path of Exile force a lot of cash shop business in your face since the game is free? I figured I would finally give it a shot with the new expansion today. If the menus look like a mobile cash shop game it'll turn me right off.

At least last I played any significant amount (mid-2019) it didn't surface the shop at all, except for the occasional button in the bottom corner of a couple menus.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Donnerberg posted:

Kinda. Path of Exile doesn't push you to use the cash shop, but it's up in your face about it existing.

The entire game is designed with the cash shop in mind. Skills, equipment, crafting and currencies (plural) is so overly complicated that the game by necessity has a huge loot table. This way it might generate something you're looking for. It expects you to store a lot of it. The time-to-kill for your average monster is the blink of an eye once you get going. You'll be wading through ridiculous amount of trash loot and "maybe I should keep this for later"-loot. As you might imagine, they sell more storage space.

The less cynical take on this is that when you need more space, it'll be because you played a lot. It makes sense to pay for playing a lot, right?

The other part, which probably won't bother most people as much as a solo player like me, is any time you go into town you see a bunch of random people in tacky cosmetics. You know, just to remind you that the cosmetics shop exists.

Yeah that's a really bizarre way to look at that, honestly and the game is nothing like that.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please wash your balls, friends.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Woke up today and my first thought was "Man Section 8 was cool, those games deserved better." Alright brain, go off.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FastestGunAlive posted:

I have nothing against apex, I’m glad it’s fans enjoy it so much, I just think the two games have a contrasting styles so I hope if we ever get a TF3 it doesn’t pull too much from apex.

That said, I still play tf2 multiplayer and have had a few other goons playing the past week. I’m always looking for more folks to play with no matter their skill level. I’m on the marvelous pro elite gamers discord, where we have a tf2 channel.

Read the entire goddamn post, I know you're talking about Titanfall and I get to the end of it and my brain still goes "Wait what does Team Fortress 2... ah goddamnit." :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nah it's just my brain and acronyms both being dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hey, gun sounds and hit reactions are some of the most important parts of an FPS. Deathwing's are dogshit, and that's why that game is bad. Black carried an entire game on gun sounds and moderate destructibility.

If a bolter doesn't sound like an artillery piece being fired as a machine gun, blowing apart whatever it hits, it ain't a good bolter.

Deathwing is bad for a host of other reasons and while I agree that gun feel in an FPS is important - god knows I've whined about it enough in the Steam threads - I think that's really sweeping Deathwing's many other problems under the rug.

And that's what makes me just a tiny bit apprehensive about Necromunda (no the other one), Streum on has a long road to travel to prove that EYE isn't a fluke or a bizarre series of collisions of good things sandwiched between very bad.

Still interested though.