Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

New Steam thread, same Steam backlog (that I just added 5 new games to :negative:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Given my current love affair with Destiny 2 I'm unwilling to throw down dosh on Rage 2, but in the future as it keeps going on sales (or gets into a humble monthly perhaps) I will pick it up and try to enjoy it!

I installed RAGE today due to whim and 'cause I bought like a million older shooters over xmas and I've been trying to play them on and off. It's neat installing stuff I bought and never played, as it feels like a surprise present from past!me to present!me. (see also: I finally installed Dangan Ronpa 2 and marathoned it and drat that was fun! Absolutely wild writing with some cool twists and I enjoyed the ending. Very fun and I hope to pick up Ultra Despair Girls and/or V3 at some point when they're on sale.)

I would recommend that you skip Ultra Despair Girls. I started watching a playthrough because I heard the gameplay was mediocre (it's a third person shooter, not a Phoenix Wright-esque game), but skipped out fast once they started using child abuse for character building on characters who are still literally children. Wish someone would have warned me about that beforehand.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Before I continue, I'm firmly on the side of adding more ways to adjust difficulty for accessibility when possible. For example,

Volte posted:

Well I think you're right, that's kind of a tautology since the whole thrust of this conversation is why I don't like the core gameplay loop in Sekiro. I really wanted to because I love the other From games. It's just that I really do enjoy the meat of the game, including the harsh difficulty of the combat, and I would love to be able to partake in it without also having to subject myself to the aspects of the game that wear me down. It's not so much me saying "From needs to be respectful and implement this stuff so that they aren't disrespecting me as a gamer!!" and more like "Sekiro isn't for me, but it's like 5% away from being for me, so it'd be cool if people who don't want that 5% could just not have to play it, then it would be for everyone!"

This is how I feel about Enter the Gungeon extremely hard.

However, whenever difficulty options come up I think many people have different variations/expectations on what they actually want:
  • Developer does all the difficulty tweaking work for the player in the form of difficulty settings (effort put into this affects how well the players think they were implemented).
  • Developer gives the player an upgrade system they can use/grind to get to the desired difficulty they expect to play at
  • Developer gives a control panel for the player to craft the game to their liking. This also extends into making the game modifiable: the player can craft their own content for how they want to play.
  • Developer implements dynamic difficulty adjustment to make the game easier/harder based on how the player is playing
  • Developer adds a feature to literally just skip/make easy a part of the game the player is struggling on too long if they just want to move past
  • Developer implements a hint system that figures out why the player might be struggling and points them towards the developer's intended path to make the game easier
  • Developer implements branching paths that vary in difficulty/playstyle so the player can choose their own expectation of challenge (potentially tying it to plot decisions)
  • ...and probably even more stuff that I'm missing.

There are two factors that come into choosing which stuff from above is actually implemented: development time available and player/market base. When you choose to implement more than one of these options, you need to consider how many development hours are going into that instead of another part of the game; a fully customizable difficulty experience that took months to implement isn't worth it when you've only got 30 minutes of content. In a dream world, the developer has all the time in the world; in reality, the developer has until they need to eat next (applies to all levels, whether the indie dev needs a paycheck to eat or the AAA dev needs to cut and release so the publisher doesn't drop them and expect repayment for a broken contract). Additionally, you need to ensure it is done properly or people will immediately tear it apart as a bad or incomplete game if the implementation doesn't fit their expectations; it can also drive your original player/market base away if they come to your game with a predisposition for certain implementations (simulationist games like EU4/CK2 or Civ want lots of difficulty options to finely tweak and mess around with, and you probably won't get them to come for your simulationist game unless you give them the same level of detail).

As an example, you can open up your player base by adding straight difficulty settings but there's a lot of work that goes into doing them well so that your existing player base doesn't accuse you of being lazy or players who choose a difficulty other than your original intention (usually the Medium/Normal) don't have a bad experience. Take Guitar Hero/Rock Band: Easy/Medium/Hard charts increase the range of notes on the guitar the player needs to play, then Expert follows up Hard by adjusting the chart to be more accurate to the song and requiring quicker adjustments. However, the charts are still crafted so that all difficulties still embody the feeling of playing the song. If it was just a slapdash Easy=25% of the notes from Expert, Medium = 50% of the notes and so on, the charts would feel incredibly janky and not really fix some of the reasons why some players struggle (Easy/Medium players have trouble adjusting their hands to slide down the guitar neck to hit orange notes and reset).

John Murdoch posted:

Re: mechanics

I agree with this post a lot: FromSoft likes to craft an experience where the difficulty is the same for all players, but they often craft it with mechanics that players will miss completely that could make the game loads easier. This often means that the difficulty the player experiences is solely about how much time they want to look around the world/look up a wiki vs continue playing the game, which leads the brick wall difficulty at times when a boss actually expects something other than just being almost perfect with the swordplay and the player has no idea. With the Sekiro examples, there are so many ways you can cheese out regular enemies/mini-bosses/bosses with swordplay, gadgets, and consumable items. However, they often fail to telegraph them well or hide them in some part of the map that nobody but a completionist would think to look (example: firecrackers work wonders on animals like the bull, but you need to find and detour into an optional area to get them; the poison blade gadget for the arm easily takes care of the gun-based mini bosses which I think is only in a loading screen tip and doesn't make sense for where you find one of them, and it's located at the bottom of a pit that players probably aren't even thinking twice about).

Also, I've played a bunch of DS1 randomizers that it's kind of funny that my default is just back to pumping Vitality/Endurance because it's more reliable when you don't know what gear you will actually be getting and it can help trivialize earlier bosses.

Edit:

Dias posted:

Bayonetta literally has a mode where you can play it with one hand.

I mean, halfcoordinated regularly destroys games with one hand that I gently caress up a bunch with two.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 23, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I don't feel arguing about loading screens on death in Sekiro is really valid, since it is often doing that to match console and engine limitations of needing to reset states of things (the time it takes to sit at a shrine and reset enemies that way is about the same as the loading screen is for me). It is definitely true that FromSoft games waste your time in terms of getting back to boss fights though. Often it's a path with 2-3 enemies that you need to learn how to roll/dodge/one-shot through over and over as you keep attempting a boss when they could do what most other games do and stick a shrine/bonfire/whatever right in front of the fog door or boss trigger. The busywork doesn't really add much to the game in terms of gameplay or thematics (aside from maybe draining your healing items a little bit if you get there sloppy) so it really is a bit of a disrespect to player time. I think the nicest spawn in Sekiro was to Lady Butterfly and that still had one enemy in the way. Edit: Actually, just remembered that the nicest spawn in terms of respecting player's time was Demon of Hatred and the final boss, the latter of which had the first phase against lightning boy that barely mattered and could have just skipped to Isshin so it was a bit of a disrespect in a different way.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 24, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Assuming you wanted to let people jump right back in without loading, there's no need to reset states, just respawn right there with both you and the enemy at full health keep everything else in the world state the same. Those console/engine limitations are due to implementation choices (which may or may not be design choices) not because there aren't other ways to do it.

This is disingenuous. Off the top of my head, things that need to happen for a Sekiro boss fight to reset properly:
  • For boss fights with intro cut scenes, reset the player and boss to the locations where they started the fight. If no cutscene, reset the player to an approximate spot of where they would enter the arena.
  • Reset the player's healing items and restock from their stash with anything missing
  • Reset the boss to the move set they are supposed to use at the start if the player did a phase progression or triggered an action that would unlock an alternative move set or boss vulnerability/growing resistance to a vulnerability (most bosses open with a specific move or set of moves to allow the player to learn what the boss does and give them an initial opening to feel better about learning the fight).
  • If the boss has adds, clean up their states from the world to reset to the initial state
  • Run checks/story progression on what happens on death (is your money/experience lost, does Dragonrot progress on anyone and notify any progression happening)
  • If the environment/environment effects changed, reset them to their initial states (ex. trees in the Ape arena)
  • If any dialogue flags are triggered, reset or progress them as appropriate

Either you put in a bunch of programming work to make sure things are cleaned up and reset properly (which can still result in multiple bugs that occur, even if you literally design save states into your engine), or you just make things easier and spawn them at a checkpoint as part of the cleanup function.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Note that despite my arguments about disrespecting the player's time and having accessibility options, I also willingly play multiple I Wanna Be The Guy/Getting Over It style games where the whole point is to disrespect the player's time to elicit reactions out of the player (mostly negative, sometimes positive) as well as tons of roguelike and roguelite/procedural death labyrinth/nu-roguelikes/whatever-term-you-want-to-use variants. I don't want to leave out my star-crossed love of classic RTS games either. Sometimes it's the entire point of the game/genre to be inaccessible to the majority of the population and that's okay too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

flatluigi posted:

beginning to think you don't even know how to read posts in general

You mean how you took the one line from my post that fit your argument out of context with the rest of the post or other posts I made on the topic? Or how the games I described as inaccessible were either literal dick in beehive games or games who's main genre definition is "start over when you die"?

Or how about RTS games, which I love but am so bad at playing outside of the gimped AI single player story rigged in the player's favor? How much should the developer dismantle the real time part so that I can play on the same level as most other players?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

The thing worth remembering about Vaan is that he wasn't supposed to exist. In the original draft of the story, the game was all about Basch and Balthier, with Vaan and Penelo not appearing in it at all. Marketing, however, thought that their usual tween audience wouldn't be able to identify with a protagonist who wasn't an obnoxious teenager for once, so they forced Matsuno to write Vaan in as a viewpoint character.

The reason he feels so useless and extraneous to the plot is because that's what he actually is.

My perception of FF XII is ruined by just seeing the plot as Star Wars (the original trilogy), so at least Vaan kind of fits into it as a weird variant of young Anakin as if he was in the original and also wasn't Vader. Still haven't figured out a good analogue for Penelo though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Orv posted:

I'm sorry but that's demonstrably a good thing.

I would kill for a Soul Reaver series remaster, I finished playing through the first game recently and the 10 or less FPS was killing me inside by the end.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

For a lighter note with Receiver 2, I have without fail managed to shoot my leg while holstering with every single type of firearm I've been given so far.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cutting and pasting some more of the lighthearted stuff from Receiver 2 for the people that are avoiding it (for completely understandable reasons, I can deal with that kind of stuff that was posted in the spoilers last page usually and it still creeped me out when it happened):

I'll try to make some gun safety gifs whenever I gently caress up handling virtual firearms properly again AKA 5 seconds from now.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also apparently Receiver 2 has a menu option to turn off the bad tapes

Found it after your brought it up, it's this option right here:

They probably should have highlighted or described what this does somewhere on game launch or in the tutorial instead of it only making sense after the first one happens and getting the journal entry that names them.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

goferchan posted:

Yeah that was the first time they did it, and I think the issue was more like Epic did it without informing the devs or asking for permission ahead of time. On the last sale with a similar coupon there were one or two games that were excluded and I didn't hear any of the same concerns, so I'm guessing people can opt out now.

It was that plus the first time they did it they just knocked down everybody's prices instead of giving people a coupon. All the big publishers followed up by de-listing their games to avoid the price going down.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

My bone to pick: the remastered soundtracks (in Tiberium C&C) remove or replace the voice samples from Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey :mad:

(jk game is great)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

sebmojo posted:

i'm on like mission 3 and i blew up the base and the mission won't end, any ideas? i was supposed to get air support but i didn't, might have something to do with that?

Whenever you get a mission where there isn't a specific objective, you need to wipe out every enemy unit and building (excluding walls) on the map to win.

Edit: Also, if you destroy an enemy building while their MCV is still up during the campaign they will rebuild the same building on the same spot after a short period of time so recheck the map where you pushed to see if they built anything back up behind your push. If you can't finish them off during a push, either put some units on the spot where the building was or capture it with an engineer once it gets rebuilt.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 9, 2020

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PlushCow posted:

The C&C Remaster is a good remaster, but the old RTS gameplay got old for me fast and I really really wish they had added an attack-move.

Head to the Workshop and download the CFE patch for quality of life stuff like attack-move, better walls, and actual pathfinding (although I love the bumbling of the original pathfinding where you try to figure out why the hell one of your tanks is now halfway across the map in the other direction because it hit a cliff wrong).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Because most of the time, it isn't. It's a John Wick game before John Wick came out. But goddamn, the flashback bits to when he's in New York? I'd kill to see the old games remade with those assets.

That would be because it's a Man on Fire game, except the kidnap victim isn't someone you can sympathize with so the rampage doesn't have as much impact.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

:perfect:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Peggle Deluxe is a dollar on Steam if you are a bytes:value person.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Artelier posted:

The Battlefield franchise is on sale; any of them worth picking up now, especially in a "load it up with lots of bots so can have easy matches whenever" kind of way? I own BF3 on Origin and I don't think it gives me that option...

I haven't tried it myself, but this might be what you are looking for? Still in early access if that's a dealbreaker as well.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Buddy, I'll play a couple of missions with you if you want. Wouldn't mind replaying a bit of that game. Maybe Allies, since I mostly played Soviets.

Assuming it still works, actually. I think it used GameSpy and that got shut down a while back... oh man...

You'll want to download and setup C&C Online to get past the dead GameSpy servers.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I watched the first couple minutes of that and it seems... fun?

That's someone who knows how to play the game and the levels, I can assure you the game is still just as jank as the original.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Orv posted:

As discussed, obviously it'd be ideal if both sides lost here but boy that's some good poo poo.

From the looks of reading the thread, this particular hearing implies that for the purposes of which apps are unblocked while awaiting the anti-trust trial in April. Epic isn't likely to get Fortnite unblocked until the actual anti-trust trial because they refuse to just rollback the IAP that bypasses Apple and the situation is their own doing. Apple is getting monopoly heat from their walled garden approach and are being potentially called out for overreach for also blocking Unreal Engine, so unless they can prove that the company that owns Unreal Engine is being sockpuppeted by Epic (due to separate license shenanigans meaning they are supported under separate contracts) they will have to unblock that.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Co-Op Fun: Since Red Alert 3 doesn't work in co-op if you're using the same wifi at the same time (?????)

This might be happening if you both have the same external IP address (likely unless you have messed with your network), so the online has no clue how to connect to another 'itself'. RA3 doesn't support LAN co-op campaign by default unfortunately, but you could give this a try if you are desperate (can't necessarily vouch for it since I've never used it):
https://digiex.net/threads/play-red-alert-3-ra3-single-player-co-op-over-local-area-network-lan.638/

You should just be good to go by connecting to each other over your internal IP addresses, you can try testing this by setting up a LAN skirmish first and making sure you can see each other before messing with files.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Probably don't have to go nearly that far, I'm pretty sure RA3 has support for setting client port so all you'd have to do is change that and it should work.

Yeah, you're right, I was thinking it might have been too new but it still has a port option in the settings that you can configure so you shouldn't need to jump through that many hoops.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Azran posted:

It's so dumb there's no way to buy the Killing Floor 2 DLC weapons through Steam. Thanks to regional pricing, each weapon is twice as expensive as the game itself here.

You can subscribe to a mutator on the workshop that unlocks all the DLC weapons without needing to pay, but you can't gain class XP while it is active. Up to you if it is worth the hassle.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not that the combat is weak, it's that there's too much of it. Same problem with Alan Wake. It's doubly jarring with Remedys games as well, since they have such great stories and world-building. It just becomes a slog to get through the monotonous combat to get to the good story stuff, and the monotony is reinforced by respawning enemies as you pass through areas multiple times.

"Oh man, can't wait to find out the mystery behind The Demon-Haunted Dildo from Chicago! But... I have to pass through the lobby again, and fight those guys... again. *sigh*"

Control also has an assist mode in the options to basically trivialize the combat if you are just interested in the story. You can even turn it off when you get to encounters that look interesting to actually fight.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There was that one CEO who took over K-mart in 2001ish I think and decided to go away from the dumb constant-sales-every-week system to replace it with just lower base prices. It drove the company into the ground and they went bankrupt in 2002. Honest lower prices just don't attract customers nearly as much as "1 week sale 75% off buy buY BUY" even if they're the same price in the end.

FOMO is a real thing even if it is stupid.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

OhFunny posted:

These new game profiles on the point store own.

Those are definitely cool.

On the other hand, it's half the cool ones and half horny motherfuckers flooding the algorithm (borderline :nws:, I can't tell and don't really want to).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Crossposting borderlands question:

I can't comment on TVHM/extended game for any of the BL games since I always usually just one and done through the campaign+DLC then start fresh. For the story, it's about the same level of funny as BL2 (AKA monkey cheese with the occasional landed joke). There's a couple forced cutscenes like 2 as well where you just have to watch the awful plot progress, but otherwise you can just ignore the blathering and keep killing things.

Edit: They also hosed up writing a couple characters from Tales from the Borderlands when shoehorning them in.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 8, 2021

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

:whitewater:

thanks for the takes folks, I'm gonna pass on BL3 for now, maybe revisit down the line if I hear the situation's improved but right now the game and every piece of DLC seems to have too much controversy surrounding it

it sounds like they made a season pass and an ultimate-style edition that included it, except then they released a second season pass and an even more expensive edition which contained some things they originally said would be in the first season pass?

You can always just wait and see if they do another free weekend, that's what I did to play through the entirety of it since I wasn't going to give Randy Pitchford money.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I dunno if things have changed enough since 2008 for a complete rebuild to make sense, the basic gameplay feels relatively modern.

The PC version has some physics bugs if you don't play 30 FPS VSync'd, like corpses/items sliding to one side of a room or going flying from tiny impacts. Not sure if that's really enough for a remaster though.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Deakul posted:

Seems more Don't Starve x Binding of Isaac to me honestly.

I was going to say more Binding of Isaac x Actraiser.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Volte posted:

Hmm, I never interpreted that as anything but a magic aura or something. He does breathe magic green smoke or something out of his mouth and his eyes glow the same color in the original game and I have a hard time believing anyone at even the most cursory of glances would misinterpret that as being poison. Why would he have to momentarily activate a stink cloud before he does his magic attack? It does look more like a poison cloud in the screenshot though.

It's the attack where Maneater's snake tail bites the body to give itself an attack boost. In the original the effect is just that Maneater glows yellow, so I guess they reflavored that to toxic-esque clouds for the snake venom.

You will never see the attack finish and see the effect unless you can't stagger Maneater for some reason.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

K8.0 posted:

Exactly. FROM Software are the incompetent hack butchering gaming, and Bluepoint are the heroes doing their best to recreate the underlying beauty.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FishMcCool posted:

Haven't played 2, but Nioh 1 also felt like a brick wall until you unlocked enough gearing/skill options and farmable missions. I think it was after the big water blob boss that things opened up. Sloth talisman in particular was basically a cheat code against any boss you struggled against.

The trick was (and still is with Nioh 2 as far as I've played it) to use kusarigama in high stance until you get the game-breaking stuff like sloth talisman. It blends the early humans, hits (and usually breaks) almost every yokai's weakpoint in the generic 3-press combo, is easy to learn ki pulsing with, and predictable to just dodge right after finishing the combo if it doesn't kill/stun. Then you unlock the Scorpion "Get over here" pull when you get enough weapon skill and you can trivialize humans or getting in range of a bigger yokai. By the time that cheese stops working as well, you should have a bunch of stuff unlocked to make it easier to swap to another weapon or actually learn how to use stances.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel like I should give Blasphemous another chance, but it was a metroidvania with bottomless death pits like an old school platformer, and it felt like a design decision that discouraged me from exploring and experimenting (I learned this trying to make a jump that I needed an upgrade to make).

Apparently there are missables too? I don't know how meaningful they are, though.

There are no item or map completion missables; you can fully backtrack and get everything at all times, to include the save right before the final boss.

There are missables achievements and character dialogue/paths if you don't wiki them to find out beforehand how to not screw them up a la Dark Souls.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Spyro is not for kids. It's a game made by masochists that basically amounts to a long series of minigames, each one demanding absolute millisecond-perfect performances out of almost all of them to progress.

Like no poo poo I would consider the dexterity requirement to beat Spyro about the same as what you'd need to beat Celeste.

The game was made before fancy modern concepts like "accessibility" and "not being designed by assholes" and the port does not let up on this at all. It's very pretty, and the animations are beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who was just looking to have a good time playing a video game.

That's only if you are trying to 100% the games, and also really only applies to Spyro 2 and 3 for the minigame portion of the comment. I had all three as a kid and I turned out fine.

The remake also adds a 'gem radar' feature for Sparx to all of the games as a default feature to help 100%ing, which was absolutely awful in the original games if you didn't know the cheat code that did the same thing and missed a single gem behind a wall somewhere.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1591620/LaMulana_2_The_Tower_of_Oannes/

La-Mulana 2 DLC just dropped. I'm a moron and still haven't figured out how to get into the DLC yet so it's living up to my hopes so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Sab669 posted:

And yet when Vampire Survivors was first posted here it had like 700 reviews and now it has *checks* sixty eight loving thousand reviews holy poo poo

Clearly this dead outdated website is solely responsible for that :hmmyes:

Vampire Survivors is also $3 while the Madness game is $25.