Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I stopped playing KRZ a little way into ep 3 because I realised I had forgotten too much of the first two episodes, and it would be best to wait for the whole thing to be completed.

Made the right choice there, I reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

Quick reminder that Jeff Gerstmann played Outer Wilds for hours and didn't realize you could translate the text on walls.

This makes me feel so loving anxious

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Pyre?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Ah hell, now people will know I've only ever won on Easy

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

sebmojo posted:

homoeopathic oils mod: oils no longer have any effect

I just applied them once at the start of the game, and I felt fine

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jamfrost posted:

I thought PC Master Race was only ever to be said sarcastically or as a joke. Not an actual identity.

It is, the thread's just being dumb

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm not convinced these people are real. Internet nazis are definitely real, but the idea that this old self-deprecating joke has any higher meaning is dumb as poo poo. Keep in mind that the Awful Septic Tank was called the Comedy Gas Chamber until like a month ago. Is everyone who posted here prior to that a crypto-Nazi?

It's just goon hivemind hyperbole, people repeating things at each other until they become true. It's like how people here will swear that Reddit is a sea of pedophiles (when it's a giant website, with like a billion users, which doesn't do enough to stamp out paeds), or how Games Workshop staggers from one disaster to the next (when it's a fairly-successful business that sometimes makes decisions that piss off the fans), or how the CineD subforum is elitists huffing their own farts and bullying any normal people who wander in (true on the fart-huffing, but they're very welcoming people). I remember a couple years ago in one of the Chapo threads someone said, as a joke, that Matt Christman had gotten divorced, and for weeks afterwards you had people who genuinely believed it.

caldrax posted:

Thank you for providing this information, it will help me shut down Nazi gamers in the future.

What are you talking about? What is this scenario? You're in a multiplayer match with some Nazis, and you say, "actually the term 'PC master race' was first used ironically", and then everyone cheers until they leave the lobby?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's good form to post when you take a key, Surviving Mars-owner :colbert:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PantsBandit posted:

Alright you jerks I'm doing it. I'm giving Prey a chance.

Started it once before but fell off 30 minutes in.

The game will tell you there's a cost to using Typhon powers. The cost is almost 0. Those powers are cool, and you're cheating yourself if you don't use them.

Also, try not to shoot any glass floors; the game remembers certain types of damage, so that glass will be permanently cracked, even if you leave that zone and come back.

Otherwise, play blind.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

CJacobs posted:

Bit of a shot in the dark, but does anyone here happen to know where I might find the older Call of Duty games on PC for cheap? I'm doing a thing where I stream the campaigns of each COD game starting with the original Modern Warfare, which I found for like five bucks. But everything AFTER that is still in the $20-40 range. Right now I'm looking for World At War and Modern Warfare 2, but IsThereAnyDeal has them both at 20 bucks which is... way too much for a ten year old game of which I'm only going to play the ~6 hour single player.

The biggest discounts they ever get on Steam is 66% off. I think I saw MW2 got for $10 once; otherwise, they never get below $25.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think the game where they messed up the campaign balance for MP was in CnC 3. The mission where you get Mammoth Tanks for the first time becomes a total slog (because they're weaker and more expensive); any mission with lots of scripted infantry running around gets harder (because infantry were buffed across the board); etc. The only ones that get really impossible are near the end of the Nod campaign, though.

There are patch-reversion files floating around out there, but I could never get them to work.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Zeinin posted:

Sup dudes, is there a halo masta cheef collection thread? I'm looking to find some folks to play with. All my vidya friends are in the wrong time zone for us to play together anymore.

Yup

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kibayasu posted:

I enjoyed all of Black Mesa but I’m also one of those people who enjoys all of Half Life 2. Even that part you hate.

You liked the part where the highway was blocked with cars, and I forgot I had a gravity gun, and legged it for the rest of the game?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Look Sir Droids posted:

Outer Wilds is a scary game?

I wouldn't call it that, because that implies it's Horror, which it's not. It's an exploration game, in which the player will probably experience most of the following:
    *Getting separated from your spaceship and asphyxiating
    *Getting marooned on a tiny comet after the sun's gravity peels your ship off and flings it away
    *Falling out of orbit onto a planet
    *Falling into the sun
    *Falling into a black hole
    *Getting eaten alive
    *Getting buried alive
    *Getting burnt alive
    *Getting a hole in your spacesuit
    *Going to the absolute bottom of the ocean
    *And a bunch of other spoilery stuff
love that game

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is Origins better than Odyssey? I've seen this argument a lot, and I would prefer to get Origins, as it's cheaper, but I love me some Greek history, so if Odyssey is better in every way, I might go with that.

Yes.

Origins has a sense of somberness to it that I really like. The story is interested in death and mourning, and takes Egyptian notions of the afterlife seriously. The map has a certain weight to it, with huge areas of wilds and wasteland, lots of farms, and like four big cities, including Alexandria and Cyrene which are culturally distinct from the rest of the map. There are about 20 special mercs hunting you to kill off, and dozens of side-missions which range from boilerplate to great.

Odyssey is just too much, in every sense. Did you like fighting the Phylakitai? Now there's a hundred of them, procedurally generated, with strengths and weaknesses like in Shadow of Mordor, and you can work your way up the merc ranks and unlock bonuses by beating them all! Did you like Alexandria? Now there's a hundred cities! Did you like the temples? We've put them everywhere! When I got to the Acropolis I barely noticed it, because I'd already seen like five temples equally impressive. There are still side-missions which are about on-par with those of the previous game, but there's also an infinite stream of proc-genned side missions, which consist of "kill that guy" or "clear that camp". It's just overwhelming. It's like the Vegas version of ancient Greece, hoping no-one complains about the food so long as the portions are generous.

It also feels worse to play. In Origins, the combat (like many other things) is reminiscent of The Witcher 3: you're mobile as hell, the enemies are tough but not frustrating, you've got some decent tools for crowd-control. You can also stealth your way through things, of course. Enemies are leveled appropriate to their area, so the player is strongly encouraged to stay out of, for example, Cyrene until they get to level 35. Stats level exponentially, so once you get four or five levels beyond an enemy you can one-shot them. If you want to keep old areas challenging, you can (and should) turn on level scaling.

Odyssey is broadly similar in your moveset and weapons, but feels much worse. Every enemy is a crazy bullet-sponge. I mean that literally; you could give the player a gun and it would still take ages to kill them. They have so much health it's insane. You can just unload on an enemy, hit them with an axe nonstop for like 20 seconds uninterrupted, and only take off half their health. This, I think, is to encourage the player to use their abilities, and play stealthy where possible. But it just feels like poo poo. You're constantly leveling up and swapping in better weapons, and it doesn't make a difference. It warps everything else; you find yourself avoiding fights, running away, grinding to build up meter so you can use your one super-effective ability, seeking out fights on clifftops so you can cheese things with the kick. Most of the enemies can kill you in three or four hits, which strongly discourages risky play. Also, level scaling is locked on, so you no longer have the option of over-leveling to make an area easier.

I 100% finished Origins and all the DLC. It took about 80 hours. I completely burned out on Odyssey after about 50, and I wasn't even halfway done with the plot or 1/3 done with the map. I've gone back to it, but each time, I get into a fight and remember why I stopped. I liked parts of it-- the cultist system was great, and the ability system was cool-- but the game was less than the sum of its parts.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That 40k: Mechanicus game is on sale; is it any good?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Knight's good. There's too much car stuff, especially w.r.t. bosses, but the brawling and the predator sections are the best of the series, and it's still unbelievably nice to look at five years on. The Season of Infamy DLC is also pretty good, I think that's included in that link.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got it too; mine specifically said "Because you have played Fallout games in the past". Do they think the problem with 76 is that people haven't heard of it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Honestly, I'm just glad it's not an indefinite delay, that's what my mind jumped to when I saw the headline.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, just kinda use a lot of the standard archers and standard spearmen. Then maybe consider taking a pair of siege weapons.

The best S2 campaign I ever had was playing as the Oda: I literally never recruited a samurai. Just peasants forever, and occasionally warrior monks.

I guess all the cavalry units were probably samurai, but they don't have it in the name, so they don't count.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They've announced the next asscreed game. In a shock to no-one, it's Viking-themed, subtitle Valhalla. Proper trailer in about 10 hours.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

shoc77 posted:

Oh god, I'm still only halfway through Brotherhoods.

At the rate Ubisoft is releasing new AssCreed games, I'll never be able to catch up and will probably be dead before that. :suicide:

There is absolutely 0 reason to play the entire series. I can't think of another series where it was less essential.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Paradoxish posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for either a Puzzle Quest-style "casual" game or a light, turn-based roguelike-ish thing that doesn't require constant attention? I'm stuck in endless useless Zoom meetings instead of doing actual work now that one of my clients made their whole staff WFH, and I need something to occupy myself with that doesn't require a ton of attention. I played through and beat Ancient Enemy in two days of meetings, so I need something new.

Into The Breach has been my other go-to, but I'm finding it a little bit too distracting if I want to pretend to pay a marginal amount of attention to what people are saying.

edit- burned through a bunch of Hexcells too

Tametsi is a slightly janky cross between Hexcells and regular Minesweeper. Delete is also in a similar space.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kin posted:

Hah it's ridiculous that Modern Warfare 2 Remastered is only £20 yet the original is £15 on sale.

I've always been meaning to pick them up on steam because that pretty much backs up all of the games i gave a poo poo about on the Xbox 360 over to PC, but the Modern Warfare franchise is so overpriced for how old it is.

Yeah, I've kind of got the itch for a dumb FPS, but no way am I paying $30 for a seven-year-old CoD

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Just be like me, have thousands of bookmarks you'll never look at

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If you don't like a combative thread it's probably because you suck at arguing, and just have bad taste in general

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I missed Journey finally getting a PC port the other day.

Also, the Destroy All Humans! remaster has a demo available.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Azran posted:

The campaign is a decent enough romp, but the DLC turns Career mode (basically a free-roam mode) from a short-lived side distraction to the main feature of the game, with both procedural and handcrafted missions with their own stories and such. It's really fun and gives the game a lot of content.

Is there a particular DLC that does this, or are you talking about what happens when you have all of it?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The human eye cannot perceive anything beyond 480p, this has been proven scientifically

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Can anyone recommend a space game with cool planet discovery lore? Escape Velocity, Stellaris, or Mass Effect would be good examples. Games where you can scan planets and find exotic or spooky stuff like remnants of old civilizations. I'm not really thinking of procedurally generated stuff, more like handwritten lore.

Is this bait, for me and the other Outer Wilds cultists? Because it's that to a T. No remote scanning or anything, but there's half a dozen handcrafted planets with tons of interesting stuff in them that all fits together like a Swiss watch.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
DoW 1: Dark Crusade has a pretty good TW-mode, where you fight the other six factions to take over the map. The skirmish missions are repetitive but fun enough; the Stronghold missions where you invade a faction's home base are phenomenal. Soulstorm is kind of janky, but it has a nine-faction version of the same thing which people say is Fine.
DoW 2 has a good, way-too-long XCOM-esque campaign where you control a small force of SMs (like 10 dudes at most). It's a lot of fun, well-written, and you can spec your dudes to be pretty broken. You can also play it as a co-op, with each of you microing two squads. The Chaos Rising expansion is a scripted version of the same thing with a set list of missions, where your characters from the main game carry over. There was another expansion where you can play the campaign as any of the factions (although the campaign itself is like 75% the same regardless of who you play as), it wasn't as good, but if love orks or the Guard it's a decent time.
I stopped paying attention to DoW 3 after they first showed the gameplay, and everything since then has convinced me this was the right move.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
MGS5 is one of the best-controlling stealth games I've ever played, and I loved the slow, natural way in which you realise how many options you have at all times. It was also the first Metal Gear I played, and I think I actually benefited from not having any investment in the plot or characters.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

We also got Hotline Miami, that was pretty good

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

drat guys, you shouldn't have

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Ragequit posted:

GMG had it with a $0.01 discount for me. However, it had a secret voucher link on the page that I clicked and it took off 14%. Do you see anything like that?

Wooo, I found it, thanks for that

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think I glimpsed some polygonal tits on one of the monsters

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

how far am I through death stranding's story if I just met heart man? this game is really good. I'm enjoying getting 5 stars on all the bases.

also, is there free play after the ending or do you just have to load a save right before the end?

You're quite far. Heartman is chapter 9, right? That's the last normal chapter; from ch10 to the end of the game is 6-8 hours, and you can't really do any normal deliveries in that time.

There is free play.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just, JUST realised "Amid Evil" is a pun on medieval

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Qmass posted:

save me

I can't see a way out without guessing, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

pentyne posted:

Also, I remember reading that SG games was going under, which kind of sucked given the quality of their games. I know they got bailed out or something but I'll buy Hades soon enough as it sounds like everything I love in a game.

I think Pyre bombed, it's got like 20% of the number of reviews compared to their other games. Undeservedly.