Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Thief Simulator is on the better end of janky euro sim games and its pretty fun if you like stealthish games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Rise to Ruins is released and has decent reviews whereas Stoneshard sounds like a fun idea that is nowhere near an actual fun playable state yet.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah I'm probably going to buy it tbh, I'm a huge sucker for roguelikes but if I had to pick between the two Rise to Ruins is mature right now and who knows whats going to happen in two years with a fresh early access game. That said they aren't really the same genre so 1 to 1 comparison isn't great. Looks like you can try out the prologue/tutorial section of Stoneshard for free here

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 8, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Aug 28th puts it on the day Meg Jayanth did her twitter thread so he is actually smearing his victims there. But yeah he is probably saying it was some conspiracy by Failbetter games to destroy this poor indie developer.
Edit for evidence: https://twitter.com/betterthemask/status/1166757334103842816

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 11, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Morter posted:

Anyone buy anything recently on steam and get it hanging? Hit Purchase (once) and now it's "Working" and grayed out.

What's your normal solution for this?

Check your payment method, if it went through usually you will get it eventually. Otherwise check https://store.steampowered.com/account/history/ and if it shows as pending you can cancel it and try another payment method. (Sometimes whatever auth method they use between paypal breaks and times out)

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 14, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cancelling and using the card has always worked for me. I'm pretty sure it fails before Paypal even sees the transaction so it should be safe. (its happened 3-4 times and I've never been double billed or anything)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It also doesn't work if Steam is aware of the update, it won't allow you to play without updating even in offline mode. Real answer here is either never go online with Steam or find a crack for that version of the game.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 15, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kin posted:

Yeah, the xbox gamepass PC version was buggy as gently caress. It had terrible reviews because of it but i wasn't sure if it was just that particular version of it or not.

I only had one major crash on the Epic version of Metro Exodus and it only set me back to a near autosave :shrug:, and I've had xb gamepass cause autosave issues with other games like Children of Morta that work fine on Steam.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Omi no Kami posted:

How-ish long was it? The internet says 15-40 hours, and I'd totally be onboard for a long-rear end Metro game but I'm worried it'll turn out to be more, like, 10-15 1-hour hallways.

Oh yeah, and does it extensively feature that thing where you're straight-up just following an NPC from checkpoint to checkpoint? That's what specifically has been driving me nuts in 2033- the story and setting are fun, but I just want these goobers to be quiet and let me explore a new area at my own pace.

Epic has my playtime at 22 hours so probably 20-25ish hours if you don't blaze through it. There are some follow these assholes for 30 minutes segments but a lot of it is either openish map segments with multiple objectives and hidden gear that sort of thing or linear levels that you can do at your own pace, a good comparison imo would be the modern Tomb Raider games.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The story is frankly pretty dumb but I don't think too many games absolutely nail atmosphere like Exodus, especially if you play with minimal hud.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 17, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Piranha Bytes have been working on a mystery RPG (likely Elex 2 based on some financial filings) that they're supposed to be announcing this year and they've said they aren't involved with the Gothic remake.
I wouldn't preorder anything from a brand new studio THQ Nordic stands up.
Also Elex is good. https://twitter.com/Piranha_Bytes/status/1206891990257983488

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 20, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

baka kaba posted:

But I mean, does the majority of the audience care or even know what an F-16 or whatever looks like? Like surely they could get away with something spookily similar called an X-69 SKYSNAKE developed with advanced metal gear tech the boffins upstairs have been keeping under wraps and people would just be all "hell yeah" and they wouldn't have to deal with licencing or the military industrial complex complaining about how backflipping planes misrepresent their product like it's Gran Turismo or whatever

I haven't played an AC so maybe the whole thing is real world but gone real OTT? I get that, but if they can't even publish old games because of this kind of stuff it seems like if any series could just wing it :grin: with their own designs it would be this one

The intended audience absolutely cares and knows what an F-16 looks like.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

Things I like about State of Decay:

+ the gameplay loop of finding supplies for home and helping survivors
+ driving over zombies on the regular
+ how you actually do need to think about stealth and distractions because before you know it even two zombies can rip through your health
+ how finding a large backpack is the most exciting thing

- the actual writing is kinda corny
- how if time passes IRL it passes in-game. Now that I'm playing it I HAVE to boot up at least once a day or those idiots will go through all of our supplies
- combat is kinda loose and slippy

So: does State of Decay 2 fix any of this? How about the DLC for the base game?

god I'm on such a zombie kick right now. marathoning constant runs of project zomboid, state of decay is now my JAM, and I'm even thinking of reinstalling dead rising and seeing if I'll like it this time
State of Decay 2 got rid of time passing while you're not playing and they upgraded the engine so movement and combat are fairly smooth now, but its still pretty shallow and buggy. (The writing is still corny:shrug:) It launched in a pretty dire state but Undead Labs have been working on it since it came out so its in a pretty okay state now for when you want to rifle through cabinets and beat up zombies.

For anybody interested in checking it out its on XB Gamepass(All of the DLC is weapons and cars except for Heartlands which has a set story*NVM Heartland is included* and Daybreak which isn't great imo, so you aren't missing anything with the XGP version) and they are releasing a full edition with all the dlc included on Steam on March 13th alongside a giant patch with a bunch of goodies.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 21, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StarkRavingMad posted:

So how is the tank mechanic game? I liked Car Mechanic simulator or whatever it was called, and was thinking about picking this up, but I was also worried that it is probably the same basic gameplay

It has the same basic gameplay except you spend most of the time repairing parts by pointing one of three tools at them. Sometimes you go out in a field and find a buried tank(you use a metal detector and where it beeps you click the dig button). The tanks have fewer parts than the average car in Car Mechanic sim and you don't have as many tools. (There is no diagnostic element or wheel balancing that sort of thing)
Less irritating to play than Car Mechanic but also not nearly as featured. Haven't run into any crashes but there's some frustrating bugs like parts not showing up in the shop.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 22, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Artelier posted:

I tried Dying Light for the free weekend and does the game ever give you a sense of real power and progression? I am trying to enjoy dropkicking zombies but the game is trying its hardest to withhold this joy from me with special zombies and a low damage output.

Kick them off buildings or into spikes, unlock the ability that lets you instant kill knocked down or stunned zombies(exploit this ruthlessly to kill the parkour zombies by forcing them to climb up to you) avoid specials and humans or destroy them with molotovs and explosive throwing stars. Eventually you will get to a point where you can oneshot basic zombies and humans unless they broke that with patches.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 24, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

KazigluBey posted:

We live in a cultural post-scarcity, he's not wrong. :shrug: I really enjoyed watching a friend play Football Manager and kinda' wanted to have a go myself, but that thing is basically an insane spreadsheet simulator and I bounced right off. If making a more accessible mode was realistic and didn't drain resources from the main game getting fully featured, I'd be all for it. But if the devs have decided that their time and effort is best spent elsewhere, that's not really a bother for me. I've got plenty of other games I can play, and they're games, it's not the end of the world if I miss one every now and again.
I think people are essentially fine with understanding there is a balance of resources and it may not be possible to be everything for everyone, that but they get understandably upset when they are like "Wouldn't it be cool if this game was more accessible" and people drop out of the sky to imply that they're ruining the sanctity of gaming and its literally destroying [insert game studio here]'s artistic vision to even consider it.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 24, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

KazigluBey posted:

Nobody here went that far, outside of whatever strawmen flatluigi is shadowboxing with. "My position: fair and rational. Your position: dumb and so goddamned crazy"-hyperbole-posting sucks, but whatever.

Terminal autist posted:

Movies are allowed to be challenging, books are allowed to be difficult, music is allowed to be obscure and abrasive. I've never understood the sentiment and obsession that all video games need to be accessible. I can't imagine anyone claiming that more esoteric rappers like billy woods or aesop rock need to dumb down their lyrics or explain their references or hardcore punk bands would need to tone down their political content or play less abrasive to attract more people. The soulsborne games clearly sell well enough that they dont need to attract a wider audience that dont appreciate what they are doing and its totally ok to dislike them, steam has a 2 hour refund window and that should give people plenty of time to decide whether or not these games are for them. Frankly its classic gamer entitlement that makes people demand an easier setting, if fromsoft wanted to do it I wouldnt be opposed but they have been making these games for over a decade and they clearly dont want to at this point. You can call me a gatekeeper or whatever else but the truth of the matter is they make a highly tightly balanced game and I get a little concerned if they start to forsake their core fanbase at the attempt to attract more people who dont appreciate what they are doing.

Tl;dr https://mobile.twitter.com/fetusberry/status/1114364382606053378?lang=en completely unironically

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

KazigluBey posted:

yeah fair enough, that post's vibe kinda sucks, especially quoting that cringe rightfully meme'd to hell tweet.

For the record, flatluigi, I'm for more difficulty options in general. I'd just rather they be extremely well realized & well integrated like in, say Celeste, rather than the garbage fire we see in 4Xs or Total War style games. If we end up with more of the former and less of the latter, it's all good.

Mea culpa in that it was lovely of me to insinuate it was the threads/your position, that was an unnecessary rear end in a top hat move on my part.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

dilemma: Hitman 2. I've played the bajeesus out of it, but I'm not currently playing it. Since ETs aren't running I can't see myself boot it up anytime in the next few months, if not longer. Which is fine, any game that gets 100+ hours out of me is huge.

the dilemma: I want that 150+ GB back for use. But if I uninstall and need to reinstall it for whatever reason, uh, 150+ GB to redownload.

h mmm

All the levels are dlc so when I had the same dilemma I unchecked the levels I don't like and never play and that freed up a bunch of space, of course I eventually just ended up uninstalling the whole thing anyway so :shrug:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nice! Tank Mechanic sim adding in a parts highlight and splitting the parts list into collapsible sublists clearing up two of the biggest annoyances in one go. Now if they could just label parts like Ammunition Box A,B,C instead of just Ammunition Box for all 3 that would be great.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 24, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wasteland Remastered is out, and looks like a cool version of an old game. Reviews are good, but it's mixed because????

There's a bunch of reviews in German complaining that character creation is broken if you play it in German.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ciaphas posted:

Hope they always use actual people instead of The Algorithm then or there's gonna be a lot of :airquote: demoing

I think this would be fine if it was GOG eating the cost but if they are just pulling it from the devs it's probably not great for indie devs :shobon:

Edit:Meh, marginal sales you wouldn't have made otherwise probably balance out the handful of shady characters that theoretically take advantage of refund policies like this and there is no way to tell how much GOG will use their discretion to refuse refunds.
It's a marketing strategy to pull sales from Steam that gives them a lot of leeway to refuse refunds. People that just want to play games and not pay can already easily pirate DRM free GOG games.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 27, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Steam is 2 weeks from date of purchase or 2 hours played so this is very good in comparison and previously GOG's terms were 2 weeks no questions asked and up to 30 days for technical issues. I think pretty much every major service now has Steam's terms or better.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 27, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I liked Hat in Time generally but it definitely frays at the edges and the levels don't really work together as a cohesive game experience.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Diephoon posted:

Good reviews are great but if you're not having fun that's all there is to it. I recently refunded Stone Shard, Noita, Last Epoch, and Project Zomboid. All of these have good reviews, but I played them for a bit and decided I wasn't really having fun with them. I'm not going to tell people they're bad games, but I'd prefer to spend my money on things I actually want to play. One exception is Blasphemous. I've never even installed the game but I was happy to buy it just because I liked the art so much. :shrug:

Wow this is the wrong thread for this friend, everybody knows that in the Steam thread: There is no Play. There is no Refund. The Backlog grows.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would kill for a modern reboot of the Red Alert series

A finger on the monkey paw curls down as an EA exec greenlights another mobile game and doesn't know why.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Book of Demons is fun and has a demo if you want to try it first.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yall can have some keys because I forgot to pause this month:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=uHCPr6CEfvNCxHvB Frostpunk
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=T3CG5mXpU65cZyS3 Okami
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=q8XymMPm3S3H24KV Shenzen
A92B*-LK9HQ-Q720B Und*rH*ro

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 29, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Serephina posted:

Basically everything GW related is that. I wonder how cheap they pawn off their IP for, since it's everywhere and they're almost all trash.

edit: I should clarify, I mean in the context of video games, and the gameplay/mechanics/end product is trash, the assets themselves are usually quite well done.

They gave one of the Space Hulk games to a random studio because they met them at GDC and the guy happened to have a pitch while THQ was imploding.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

So it looks like the Tom Francis the developer of Gunpoint and Heat Signature is gearing up to start testing on his new tactical turn-based wizard police game: Tactical Breach Wizards. The betas he has run before are usually pretty polished and free, so its definitely worth signing up if anybody is interested. https://twitter.com/BreachWizards/status/1236008049032056833
Edit:Video with sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcdQcmayEw4

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 7, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

ymgve posted:

Satisfactory might be up your alley, but it's Epic Store exclusive at the moment

The 1 year anniversary is coming up in a little over a week and they did a little Steam teaser in the last patch video. If there's a team that would do a surprise launch its Coffee Stain.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 9, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Fair enough, I've only been half paying attention since I shelved it a while ago.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nordick posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I never leave my hammer behind, that thing is just entirely too satisfying to not have along. And the drat thing is so iconic too, it would be like Gordon Freeman without his crowbar. My loadout is always, ALWAYS hammer + remote charges, which are my bread and butter tools, + whatever two I'm in the mood for or in need of for a specific purpose (nano rifle for gunships, etc). The actual firearms are what I use the least, mainly when I'm doing a hostage rescue and need to get to the hostages on upper floors without wrecking the building around me. :v:

EDIT: I love the ending of the Space rear end in a top hat video, after the song ends. It's just such a great demonstration of the building destruction physics.

Also I already got flattened by a random piece of falling debris once. It's like coming home. :allears:

If you're not blowing up the hostages, the guards and the whole building what are you even doing???

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Im_Special posted:

Anyone get that Command & Conquer Remaster? What does it mean by "Account (Supports linking to Steam account)"?

Am I going to need more then just Steam to play this?

Its not out yet but at a guess they are going to force you to log into an EA account for multiplayer. Outside chance you'll have to launch Origin when you play it but I think they've given up on that.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yep, that's what they require. Do NOT buy any ubisoft games if you can't handle running two clients at once, they're all uplay mandatory.

And I mean I don't mind using origin or uplay, but c'mon companies, play nice

I'm not sure on this, Fallen Order explicitly says "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required" and this doesn't so I don't think this is going to require Origin. Like hell am I going to preorder anything from EA to find out after the year they've had though.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 12, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

HenryEx posted:

????

I had to stop playing Outer Wilds for fear / anxiety reasons, but Dark Bramble was the ONE planet i did actually finish. It's the most relaxed place in the OW universe.

:allears:

That's where the anglerfish live :unsmigghh:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't think its a jump scare, I just thought it was funny/endearing that they called it the "most relaxed place in the OW universe." when its probably the most tense part of the entire game after you hit the trigger. The sound the anglerfish make manages to surprise me every time.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 16, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

FuzzySlippers posted:

I got around to trying Frostpunk from one of the humble monthlies and I enjoyed it way more than I expected. I don't normally like RTS or management games, but it hit a nice sweet spot of responding to challenges, fiddling with base management, and an interesting story/scenario (the last bit at the end was incredibly dramatic). If someone got a key through humble and has been passing over it I really recommend giving it a shot.

Is there anything else like this? I haven't played that many management games because I get bored with fairly austere blah Tycoon games or games that emphasis optimization like Factorio but I was really surprised how much I enjoyed Frostpunk.

It does help that it had an interesting setup. Like I know people heap praise on Prison Architect, but I can't imagine getting into a game about prisons (as an American it feels more ghoulish than most settings) and most of the scifi games are fairly generic scifi.

I'd say the Tropico games but it sounds like the totalitarian aspect might be a dealbreaker.

To write out a better post, they have decent mission/scenarios but they aren't really survival focused. They are sort of hybrid management games somewhere between city builder style games and Tycoonish games more in the city building direction, you can optimize if you want but they are on the simpler end and generally are about balancing popularity between factions by providing for the needs of your citizens and setting policies favorable to various groups. There is the option to be an oppressive dictator but its not necessary and the games are satire/comedy and never brutal or cruel.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 16, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They want people to wishlist their game, it hugely influences how well the game does when it finally comes out. Its not festival wank or whatever, its cheap advertising.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

At hostpital ate cactus post mote later