Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Baller Time posted:

Why rat so fat

rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Orv posted:

So I'm definitely interested in this but uh, this line of text is preceded by this image.

E: Also I love this broken English for explaining "it's a Dark Souls"

The highlight of the level design is the form of random combination, that is, the scenes, monsters, equipment, and configuration of the props that the player is reborn after death are different from before, so that the game presents diverse characteristics, increasing the level variables and The game is fun.

quote:

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION
The developers describe the content like this:

This is an action adventure game where players use swords, sticks and sickles to kill enemies in melee combat. Players also use executions (eg, backstabs) to cautiously assassinate enemies. A large amount of blood splattering occurs when an enemy is killed.
Equipped with a cool apron or zombie role playing in the jewelry bar, the character's appearance will change to a girl, there will be more exposed parts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

shame, now you can’t play exodus

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

At least for Exodus I got the good ending without having to use a bloody guide to play all the Balalaikas in the Metro. :argh:

Do you need to save all crew members to get the good ending in Exodus? I managed to pull it off but yeah; at least LL's C'est la Vie is bittersweet, the bad ending for Exodus is just a loving downer.

No, I lost the crew member in the first area but no one else and got the good ending

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

/edit: oh poo poo, almost forgot. Det_no, it seems MonHun is having some issues with CPU usage after Iceborne dropped, something about DRM making Windows antivirus freak out or something.

Someone recommended I use Stracker's Loader and it has dropped my CPU usage from ~90% to ~40%, maybe give it a try?

The two patches for iceborne so far have dropped my cpu from 75% to 40% so this might not be needed anymore

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a new desktop yesterday. What are some good games I should play to put it through its paces? If it involves ray tracing, even better, but anything that’s stupid demanding is welcome.

Monster hunter, grab the high res texture pack if you have 8 GB of VRAM

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I do (2070 Super), but is the high res pack going to be something I’ll notice if I don’t have a high end monitor yet and am stuck at 1080p?

I can see a difference at 1080p because some of the non-high res textures are pretty bad lol, one and only thing dragging down the game’s otherwise extremely good graphics imo. but if the disk space or download size will be a concern for you/you’re just surfing for graphics to throw at your new computer and not really playing the game, you can definitely skip it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

finished blasphemous

does anyone know why one of the final bosses is voiced by what sounds like a meek teenage girl trying to tell the starbucks cashier that she got the wrong order

enjoyed most of the game’s voice work myself, but her voice was distractingly terrible to an extreme degree & I hope the devs end up getting to add the spanish voices they talked about just for an opportunity to fix her.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

oh my god why

:wtc:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Anyone got any experience with Dark Devotion? It's the daily deal and I usually enjoy these games; hell, I even like Salt and Sanctuary.

it has an unusual format and it's worth playing for a different experience if nothing else. the no-backtracking-ever world design with a lot of different paths to take is interesting but makes seeing 100% of each area more annoying than it should be--if you do particularly well on a run, you'll end up far past a great deal of the game and have to start your next run before an area you passed by if you want to see more. I feel like the ideal experience would involve dying more than I did.

execution has a lot of flaws though. some hitboxes are noticeably off which is hard to forgive when the game's art is already very low-res, the % chance to miss has absolutely no place in a game like this, some attacks ignore shields with no warning where the only way to know is to try it and eat poo poo if they do, and many of the slower two handed weapons are borderline unusable against many enemies because the tuning between player vs. enemy attack speeds is off. a lot of slower weapons are only good if you abuse their range to hit enemies as they approach before they can attack at all->roll away and repeat, but a lot of enemies have no answer to this strategy, so it feels pretty cheesy. The blessing/curse system also has some questionable stuff, like getting a curse from taking an item which is supposed to make you immune to curses, or getting a really debilitating curse from not swapping out your armor for a long time during a run where 0 armor has dropped so far.

atmosphere and sound is very good which is the main selling point of the game imo--if anything, the sound being so crisp and clear contrasts with the low-res visuals and I would like to see a dark devotion sequel with the same sound quality but higher res graphics. Unfortunately the setting/background lore is really scattered and too much of a chore to try to decipher; if I had to guess, they were going for some kind of souls thing with the lore except the game's english translation is bad and doesn't even give you a loose idea of why you're there or what you're doing (souls at least offers you this much) so I didn't feel engaged with this part of the game at all.

this reads a bit more negative than I wanted to come across as I did enjoy it for the most part, but it definitely feels like an experiment or prototype in some ways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

it’s not as bad as people say, but it’s also not a very good experience either and too many good games come out every day now to play something that’s overall mediocre and doesn’t resonate with you, life is short etc. would have suggested it for a different experience years ago when it came out but I wouldn’t anymore

I have no particular loyalty to from software & can be pretty critical of their games but] none of the attempts at similar games from other developers I’ve played (lords, the surge, nioh) have been able to compete with them. nioh came the closest I guess

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nice

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Awesome! posted:

apparently there is a bug in wolcen where logging off in act 2 will roll you back to act 1 even in offline mode so uh, dont log out for now i guess lol

https://twitter.com/dril/status/247222360309121024?lang=en

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

I see that Metro: Exodus is finally out on steam, is it worth getting? I loved the Stalker games and enjoyed the atmosphere of Metro 2033, but struggled with the aggressively on-rails gameplay and felt the actual gameplay part of the game was frustratingly janky. (I haven't played Last Light yet, since I'm holding out hope that if I keep grinding through 2033 it'll eventually click and get fun.)

really good, but there is still jank and while it advertises itself as being more open, there's still quite a bit of extremely on rails stuff. like the first two games, the best parts are still when it goes completely hands off and leaves you on your own--there is quite a bit of that in exodus but be aware that it's far from the whole game

if your experience with 2033 is the original version and not the redux then you can expect exodus to feel more modern though

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

How-ish long was it? The internet says 15-40 hours, and I'd totally be onboard for a long-rear end Metro game but I'm worried it'll turn out to be more, like, 10-15 1-hour hallways.

Oh yeah, and does it extensively feature that thing where you're straight-up just following an NPC from checkpoint to checkpoint? That's what specifically has been driving me nuts in 2033- the story and setting are fun, but I just want these goobers to be quiet and let me explore a new area at my own pace.

it was 30-40 for me but I poked along pretty slowly and tried to see everything on the open maps. It's longer than 2033 and last light but not drastically. there are still plenty of ultra-linear sequences of following someone around, enough that I would say avoid it if any % of this is a dealbreaker to you, but there's less of this than the previous two games and it still has the great extended sequences where it goes hands off and you're on your own. despite the format change it's still extremely metro in its DNA, for all the good and bad that implies

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rolo posted:

I saw a game on Reddit that looked similar to old school Battlefield and I want to say is being developed by somebody who worked on the older games. Looked really cool and the people in the comments talked it up a lot.

Anyone know what I’m talking about? I can’t find it on google.

Hell let loose?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CLARPUS posted:

I'm 4 hours into System Shock 2 and I'm bouncing off of it hard. I thought it'd be my jam for all the praise it gets but I'm only on Deck 3 and I'm like ehh. I just keep thinking about Prey and how I should finish Mooncrash.

older games (<2005 or so) are very tough for me to put up with anymore but system shock 2 felt like it held up very well for its age. it definitely acts like the 1999 game that it is with some of the content in the back half of the game that goes on for too long, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it & it’s probably the oldest game I’ve actually managed to finish in the last decade or so. but IMO, if you’re not enjoying the first three levels then you should drop it since I think it overstays its welcome and if you’re not enjoying it now, that’s probably not about to change.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My favorite game about being cold and taking shelter by a lonely source of warmth is cryostasis, which evokes its themes in a novel way by leaving all your CPU cores cold except for one

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zedd posted:

I'm assembling my new PC hopefully this weekend. I like FPS games for the shooty parts and the power fantasy; but I am also very bad at aiming. How much will I like DOOM if I do want a decent-ish non-pushover experience but no like actual skill needed :v: ?

You don’t have to be precise in doom 2016, just to keep moving, and there’s an easy difficulty if you want it so I’d say it’s a good pick

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm pretty sure the warden's basement is larger than the town where his house is situated, it's hilarious. Grim Dawn has a lot of the great "epic journey" feel that Titan Quest did but one of the consequences is that logical scale just doesn't exist.

There will come a time when you are asked to visit a nearby farm, and several hours later you will realize the questgiver just does not understand what words mean.

The farm was “nearby” before thousands upon thousands of outlaws, skeletons, cosmic abominations, and angry bees appeared on the road there

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

OzFactor posted:

So, Anthem is $9 on the Humble Store. I know it's not great and my understanding is that it's very over-mmo-ized, but $9 to me is the level of "can it be fun for 10 hours?" I just want to fly around and shoot things. I really enjoy ME3 multiplayer and Destiny 2, would I find it fun at all or is it just a total dud?

it's total dogshit lol

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there much of a point to the Driller's.... drill? I'm guessing its useful when you need to dig fast during the harder difficulties?

Driller can dig ramps up to ledges or higher resources, dig in a straight line to extraction, there’s some nerd poo poo about digging bunkers I ignore but it’s a strategy that exists, drilling gets you a bit of improvised everything

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Drizvolta posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226920/Hellraid/

I will never remove this game from my wishlist

I was bummed as hell when they canceled this

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elman posted:

So uh, I just got to the part where the soldiers arrive in Black Mesa and I see they haven't tweaked their AI at all. They have instant reaction time and shoot you the moment they see you, so it's extremely hard to kill any of them without taking damage. Alien enemies are fine, but this is just cheap. Admittedly I'm playing on Hard difficulty but Hard was fine in HL1, and I really thought they would have fixed this by now.

I think I'll probably just skip ahead to Xen and play that part. It's great that they finally finished this but the old content is really showing its age.

this exact thing made me quit black mesa when I first played it I don't know how many years ago, and I wasn't playing on hard. surprised it hasn't changed.

Oxxidation posted:

does metro exodus have yuri lowenthal, steve blum and mona marshall voicing 80% of the cast as well or do they finally branch out a bit

not if you change voice language to russian

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

yeah rip

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is why I stopped playing Outer Wilds. I got to a jump scare (you can probably figure out what I'm talking about) and then exited out and never fired it up again. I should probably go back to that.

press on, it's an amazing game and worth seeing to the end

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Listen here buddy, I played at least 50 dollars worth of the games

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

stat gains simultaneously matter a lot and don’t matter much at all, because defense is coded as direct point-for-point damage reduction and so some enemies can be nigh invincible if you aren’t over their defense threshold, where going from 900->1000 attack against a 1000-defense enemy does nothing while going from 1000->1100 suddenly lets you hurt them, which is the kind of margins stat gains can make; except periapts just let you boost your damage massively past the point where anything can resist you, and in bitterblack isle where this stuff actually matters, you can have a stockpile of hundreds of periapts so you can just brute force past any defense bullshit you run into.

if you haven’t played before and don’t know what this means, just play as whatever class you want, except when you eventually get a sidequest to either get a fat guy hanged for crimes or get him acquitted, acquit the fat man because he sells you infinite periapts. now you can fly into free

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Dude has been threatening a 9 hour long comprehensive analysis of every single Witcher book and game.

this is a hostage situation

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My 400 hours of payday entitles me to 1 pig game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

How is age of wonders planetfall? I really liked 2 and 3, so I'm expecting good things, especially with this big patch they just released?

It’s good

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I found synthetik arena much less interesting than the real game for what it’s worth, as it’s pretty static and progression is less engaging than what you see over the course of a normal synthetik run, but it’ll let you see how the game controls/feels so it sort of works as a demo

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Frog Act posted:

so everyone with Vermintide II got an 80% off coupon for Deathwing, the coop terminator tyrannid fps. It has/had bad reviews but the coupon is for the enhanced edition which is getting better reviews and brings the price down to $8. it also has, thanks to the coupon, enough people playing that multiplayer will probably be active for a good month or so. anyone have any experience with it? is it a decent mediocre coop experience for a little while or not worth $8?

unfortunately can't recommend it at all for the singleplayer - It feels quite unpolished and unfinished in its presentation and gameplay feels aimless/non-strategic with extremely random spawns that best appear to be dealt with by just walking away to a different part of the map rather than killing them all or destroying spawn points or something actually engaging, long range snipey enemies that are a terrible match for the unilaterally inaccurate shotgunny weapons you're given, limited gameplay options with a single weapon at a time, it just doesn't come together as a good experience. the best part of the game is the extremely detailed and good looking environments, but you don't get to stop and enjoy them due the nonstop stream of genestealers.

I only played the multiplayer at launch so I can't comment on that now since it was the main thing they focused on improving so maybe it's better, but I'd be surprised if it's great based on the singleplayer and how it was at launch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does hunt have separate queues for solos/groups

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

MZ posted:

I'm not sure if I could go back to Doom 2016 but I don't think I had as this many issues with it at the time, I'd have to play them back to back to see if I actually preferred it.

I went back to doom 2016 right after I finished eternal to make sure it wasn’t rose colored glasses and it confirmed that no, 2016 really is better overall

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you haven’t played outer wilds (NOT outer worlds) you should spend your coupon on that before anything else, it was GOTY

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It feels like a lack of “reward” or long term progression works best when a game still has a definite goal or win state you can achieve. Left 4 dead managed to remain very popular and engaging to play with no form of progression between matches, even after a lot of competitors like payday came out with myriad progression systems. it feels engaging to scrape through a L4D campaign in isolation even with no promise of future rewards because it definitively ends and bookends itself, and the win itself is the reward you’re working toward. more open-ended games that don’t have that kind of structure built in need something else to keep you going.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how hard is legend of grimrock 2 compared to 1? I'm going to be done with 1 soon and I'm extremely tempted to play 2 with a full team of rats as long as this won't screw me because the game's harder or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

geez grimrock isn’t loving around with the puzzles, I just had to go up 5 floors in search of an arrow to use for a puzzle that required one because none of my characters use arrows and I had no idea where any had been left behind; the same puzzle also required a skull, which are exclusively rare and secret/hidden items that you have no reason to carry if you don’t have a character of 1 specific race who also has 1 specific perk. I actually met that qualification, but if you’d been leaving skulls behind since you didn’t need them or had never found any, you’d be hosed

and this is right after a puzzle that was only solveable using information from a random scroll found inside of a secret room on the opposite side of the floor, with no apparent connection between the two, so if you missed the scroll on your way then good luck. I don’t know how I’ve managed to get to floor 12 without needing to look anything up yet. Lot of “that was actually the answer?!” moments in this game after trying some weird poo poo on a puzzle and seeing it actually work