Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Smol posted:

For me the biggest reason to get a PS4 controller was that it has a built-in rechargeable battery. Xbox controller requires separate AAA batteries, which can be a nuisance.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-One-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B00DBDPOZ4
The whole point of the Xbox controller is that you can pick and choose what you need. AA (not AAA, that's absurd), Enloops, a battery pack you recharge through USB, whatever, the choice is yours and you can replace it at will. Litteraly every option is better than the DS4's tiny internal battery as well. And it means you don't have to throw out the controller after 3-5 years when the battery eventually dies, just replace the easily accessible battery and you're golden.

Heck, you can can even run it through USB without any batteries connected at all if you wanted.

It makes the Elite 2's strictly internal li-po battery very frustrating and regressive. I do not understand why they went with that, I'd love to ask the engineer what they were thinking.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

orcane posted:

And then the Xbox One (the third Xbox) launched as a custom PC again but without BC because who needs that when you have the best exclusives and Kinect and TV! But because it had the wrong RAM and the exclusives sucked and nobody bought the TV TV TV console, they added software-based BC after 1.5 years or so.

The Xbox One had backwards compatibility planned from the start, it just took them that long to get it working. We know this because the Xbox One CPU has custom instructions built specifically for the backwards compatibility, it's the only way it managed to do it.

Also the Series X will maintain and continue the Xbox/360 back compat the One had.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

ymgve posted:

Wait, custom instructions? Where do I find details about this?

There's limited explanations but the article here covers it:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility posted:

As Durango crystallized, so too did plans for Xbox 360 compatibility on the new machine. “This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware,” Gammill explained. “We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.” This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One’s six CPU cores. But a SOC (system on chip) – basically an Xbox 360 chip inside every Xbox One, similar to how Sony put PS2 hardware inside the launch-era PS3s – would’ve not only been expensive, but it would’ve put a ceiling on what the compatibility team could do. “If we'd have gone with the 360 SOC, we likely would've landed at just parity,” he said. “The goal was never just parity.” So they built the XMA and texture formats into the Xbox One chipset.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Jamfrost posted:

Soooo... The Turok game plays smoothly and performs well, but it's Turok. You can also give yourself an indirect cross-hair with the automap.

Or you could turn on an actual crosshair in the gameplay->HUD options.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 9, 2020

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

Hmm, so they did show ShadowMan Remaster... I think

Shouldn't it highlight the updates it got or something?

It's very difficult to highlight code changes. :P
(That and it's a quick trailer of what is otherwise a game still in production and not slated for release until sometime next year.)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Superanos posted:

I don't get Night Dive's decision making here. Turok 3 is needed the most because it didn't have a PC version in the first place while 1 and 2 had. But they just decided to stop at 2?

We didn't stop at 2. In fact you have stumbled upon the answer to your own question; We did Turok 1 & 2 first because they had PC ports to work off of. Turok3 and Rage Wars lack any PC port and thus require significantly more resources to get off the ground. Especially since we can't find the source code for them at this time, and thus would have to disassemble the MIPS code from the ROM.

If you have the source code to either of these games, we sure would be appreciative. :P

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 9, 2021

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Zereth posted:

Just be aware that in the original campaigns, or wads made before jumping was added in source ports, it's basically a cheat. I'm not saying not use it, do whatever you want, just be aware that it's a cheat code.

Heck even "mouselook" (specifically vertical looking) is in some instances, notably in mapsets like Memento Mori II where having to move to the right elevation of the switch was part of the map puzzles.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Look, I know transparency sorting isn't always easy, but if you are going to have two major transparent elements that can cover a significant portion of the screen at the same time, you can't cheap out on that!

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

I can understand not liking the storytelling or the gameplay of Eternal but the graphics? Really?

You'll want to find a different screenshot, that's not from the final version of 2016 and a fair chunk of the effects work is missing in that shot.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just try it. Not all games on Steam have Steam DRM.

If it's anything like ours, be sure to test on a PC without Steam. Our games lack Steam DRM measures, but will actually prevent a proper launch if Steam is physically present on the computer (and Steam itself says no, i.e if you try launching a game you don't have ownership permissions for), however ignores it entirely if it's absent.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

No thanks, I remember MS-DOS from the first time round.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what I imagined, though I remember one of the retro xboxes did it right? Kind of wish somehow steam had revealed or made an API for it like steam input.

Yeah, the 360 did this. The OS music player could be queried and even paused via the SDK, obviously as an evolution from the OG Xbox where some games could be setup to load custom soundtracks from the hard drive (from ripped CDs). This was actually a certification requirement to support on the 360 I believe. The Xbox One lost this as you could install any kind of music player you liked, thus what you needed to query was no longer static.

Steam has a music player and API for this. No one seems to touch it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I used to love this free PS plus game on PS3 called Renegade Ops. It's by the Just Cause guys (avalanche) but its a top down shooter that feels like "what if Housemarque made a Jungle Strike" which is dope as hell. Was thinking about it one day recently. lo and behold it was on sale on steam and this game is just as good as I remember and now I'm playing it at 120 and it still looks great... But it crashes so much and the checkpoints are so limited it basically ruins the game. Sucks.

It used to play well, but something about it's code hasn't aged well with new hardware, though a red flag is initially on launch it crashed if you didn't have at least three hardware threads, dual cores were still common at the time. It's one of those 360/PS3 mid gen ports.

Notably playing the game at 4K made the rendering really rough in places last I tried.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

BrianRx posted:

I remember this game and now I want it. Are regular crashes basically guaranteed at this point or can I pick it up and see how stable it is on my system during the refund window?

I'd say pick it up and see. Results seem inconsistent between hardware, given I used to do full co-op playthroughs of it without a hitch.
Edit: Or heck it might just be software conflicts. This reported issue/fix on PCGamingWiki says it apparently conflicts with video software from Freemake, which is odd: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Renegade_Ops#Game_locks_up_with_a_black_screen

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 1, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

ymgve posted:

Windows UWP continues to be a garbage fire. Tried out Astroneer on Xbox Game Pass, and there was horrible frame pacing. But since it was on there as an UWP app, I had a hunch and took the chance of buying it on Steam. Look at that, no issues on Steam, the game is silky smooth.

UWP is no longer used for winstore games for quite awhile now. It's far back enough that Doom64 is Win32, for example.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

credburn posted:

I just beat Doom 64, finally playing it again almost twenty five years later. It suffered from some incredibly cruel "puzzles" (?) where you flipped a switch and then wandered around the level to see what wall or door opened up, usually to reveal just a room with bad guys and another fuckin Mystery Switch. But it was a good game! The enemy redesigns were neat, and I guess they were meant to just look like higher-res versions of the Doom sprites but haha then you coat it with that N64 blur and everything just looks like garbage. The "music" is just drones with some strange sounds. Game felt just like another classic Doom. Concludes with this very appropriate Doom splash:

You still have another episode to finish for Doom64. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

The Kins posted:

This'll be neat for LAN Parties, should those ever return, but it's probably more for downloading games from a PC to a Steam Deck.

Yeah I'm in the position of "This is great Gaben, but I needed it 10 years ago!"