Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I've been googling around for a solution to this problem with no luck with any of the fixes, so I'm going to try here.

I did a fresh install of Prey (the arkane one). it seems like no matter what I do, the game won't launch when I start it. anyone had this problem before? does it just take a long time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Do you have Mooncrash too? When you first launch (on Steam) there's a little popup asking if you want to play one or the other. Make sure that's not hiding somewhere

Also it doesn't pop up if you launch from the Steam icon in the system tray, but I dunno if that would cause an issue on the first run

you could try verifying the game files too in its properties

I played through a decent amount of it (before dropping it for some reason) so it's worked on this machine before. I've gotten past the mooncrash/prey prompt so it isn't that. :thunk:

I just want to become the god of shotguns again.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

baka kaba posted:

oh I dunno then - it doesn't take long to load, you should hear the intro logo videos and all that after a few seconds, if you can't hear anything it's probably stuck - I'd check task manager to see if it's even running, and definitely try the Verify Game Files thing

This is from a ways back but the issue ended up being a botched video driver installation! I'm dumb, prey is working fine now.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Good post. Thank you.

It makes me think of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvJPKOLDSos

I haven't played RDR2 but my impression of GTAV was that they gave us this big beautiful world but was really not all that interested in it. They just wanted to recreate their highly scripted recreation of several movies. Witcher 3 managed to make a world with more depth.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 30, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like the music but it frustrates me that Burch didn't reprise her role in this prequel. I hate when voice actors change. Unless they changed because someone died. I can put up with that.

There was a strike going on at the time, to be fair.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Agents of Mayhem :hehe:

I do kinda want to try it though. For some reason. I dunno. I'd probably hate it.

I bought it a while ago when it was massively on sale. even bought all the dlc characters. It does remind me of Doom '16 in a sense because it does it's core gameplay well, but it does only that. Might get pretty monotonous if you don't enjoy that core combat.

World kind of sucks, missions suck but drat did I love that arcadey third person shooter gameplay.

John Murdoch posted:

Hello, second Agents of Mayhem liker.

Hello! It's a hard game to explain why I like it but I do. But it's probably not gonna blow your mind. I think the publisher never gave it a chance and everyone compared it to saints row, which it would never live up to.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 1, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

i like it as a framing device because i think it gives the developers license to do stuff i don't think they'd try putting into a strict "play history" version of the game, like the god invasions in origins.

I do kind of want to go back to play AC3 just so I can go through the bugfuck insane king george washington DLC. maybe sometime after I beat Origins.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

walking simulator doesn't really seem like a fair description when it does a lot of really cool interactions beyond just walking around and picking things up.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Walking sim was originally a derisive term used against these games but that's over now, and the only people who still try to post that as some kind of burn are owning themselves. "Interactive novel" is somehow even less accurate and dumber-sounding, so walky sim it is.

Death Stranding is technically a walky sim

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

threelemmings posted:

I think people also forget the other innovations that at the time were new and compare it to modern games, many of which draw from those established mechanics. It is to Halo's credit we can compare it, look at older stuff like turok or even Doom and in some ways those games feel almost like a different genre. It's easy to forget how many standard 3d shooter conventions were invented at that time. While if I remember right the PlayStation had a few shooters that did it first, Halo was probably the first shooter most people (me included) played with twin sticks, and the basic control scheme is virtually unchanged today.

While by no means did Halo invent much by itself, it's refinements and the way it put all the elements together should still be considered groundbreaking. The AI design and setpiece fights were insane at the time.

I think Halo really nailed doing a FPS on a console in a way non quite did before? There are definite precursors (Goldeneye and Perfect Dark) but I think Halo was way more successful.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

You have very high standards or the game was never for you if you think halo is poo poo.

That's okay though, you're not required to like everything, nor should you try to.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Don't forget Timesplitters (which did the twin stick control as well a solid year before Halo came out)

I have never played this but I would love to if crytek is reading my post on forums.somethingawful.com

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 8, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pretty sure it's always the same one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Akham Knight played way better on a SSD IIRC. and I played long after launch

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Origins and Odyssey are really good if you just wanted more of Witcher 3 because honestly they're not all that different.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

https://www.pcgamer.com/sega-says-persona-5-listing-for-pc-on-amazon-france-is-an-error/

quote:

We know for a fact that Sony is moving towards bringing its first party games to the PC, starting with Horizon: Zero Dawn this summer. Today two more PlayStation exclusives unexpectedly popped up on Amazon France, with blank listings offering no imagery, release date, or details aside from a name and a platform: Windows. Those games are Days Gone and Persona 5 Royal.

These two games are slightly different cases: Sony owns the studio that developed Days Gone, just like it owns Horizon developer Guerrilla Games. Persona 5 is currently a PlayStation exclusive, and Persona games historically tend to stick to a single platform, but it's developed and published by Sega subsidiary Atlus. In other words, even if Sony is moving to publish its own first party games on PC, it's odd that a listing for Persona would appear on Amazon France at the exact same time.

I reached out to Sega about Persona 5 Royal, who told me "That listing is an error and we’re looking into having it taken down and how it happened."

*sad trombone noises*

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That wording is not a no. It's consistent with "there will be a listing, but it's not supposed to show up yet."

I wouldn't be surprised if persona 5 made it eventually, considering Catherine made it to steam somehow.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ulio posted:

Persona 5 has no switch port. The switch game is Persona 5 Scramble which is a sequel the story of Person5 but with Musou gameplay.

Also it's only released in japan.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think Nuclear Throne is honestly a better game on pc over console. maybe keyboard and mouse will always seem more accurate to me

edit: I got my threads mixed up, thought we were in switch thread

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 15, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It looks like someone is making a game for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAVoHFRytOQ

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Pretty sure that's just Devolver Digital playing coy.

edit: there's a sale going on for Devolver Digital remember

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 18, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I'm glad Devolver Digital exists and is so stubbornly weird.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Xaris posted:

:same:

they actually do publish a fair amount of solidly good indie games, along with trash, but it's an interesting publisher all around

well a perfect resume is one that is completely blank! :eng101:

Edit: I played FF7 earlier this year and I had a good time. I liked it more than FF8. played it on switch though, I think the port is better there.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 19, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Switch port comes with built-in speed cheats, which makes traversing the map way less tedious and also makes battles with it on hilariously hectic.

I also really dislike the whole cloud save thing the pc port has. and mods for the pc version aren't that great.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mario and Rabbids is my favorite xcom-alike

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's wild how they seemed to have gotten things right in JC2 and have stumbled ever since.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I did really enjoy the Mad Max game that they did but maybe a good portion of that is just me enjoying the setting and property they were adapting.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I forget, which game was it where there was someone in charge of overhauling the engine and they proceeded to get maybe halfway through before quitting the company and they left minimal documentation? Deus Ex 2/Thief 3 maybe?

That was Invisible War, the Flesh Engine as it was called.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Isn't ubisoft the folks who developed rainbow six siege, a shooter with a shitload of interactivity with the enviroment

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I always hear about those ice cubes in mgs 2 being this crazy detail but it wasn't really all that interesting actually messing with it in game. I think you don't see companies experimenting in interactivity in game because they already tried it, they're off experimenting with something else, I think

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yoink! I now own all of the good Deus Ex games. Will I ever play them? Only time will tell!

Mankind Divided is probably the best gameplay in the series. story not so much

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Doesn't alien hunters add that wall o' slain aliens? that was my favorite part about xcom 2

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Trickyblackjack posted:

drat Xcom2 better have huge libraries of battle cries in dozens of languages to justify 60+gig download.

WotC adds a lot of stuff if i remember correctly.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I greatly enjoyed Y0's main plot and the cabaret minigame. Combat was fair-to-good, buoyed somewhat by the brutality of the heat actions (and the always amusing narrative dissonance of that brutality); I've enjoyed other beatemups more, but it was solid

I honestly thought half the side-stories were kinda badly written and too unreal for me to suspend disbelief

Helping a dom being more confident at her job was very wholesome content :colbert:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Metal Gear Solid 5

4$

I think that's a good price for this?

Still one of the best stealth games on the market in spite of it being a clearly unfinished game.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

MGSV can be pretty incoherent but at least we got the hamburgers of master miller

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd say it has some of the most real-feeling. I recently had a similar discussion about Splinter Cell Blacklist and got a very similar complaint - that Sam Fisher feels heavy. Basically, Snake and Fisher both control a lot like you would expect a 220 pound adult beefslab to move, but that isn't really for everyone. If you're used to more in the way of instant responsiveness, then it can feel like a chore to get into.

With a fully upgraded snake he runs cartoonishly fast though. Blacklist comparison is fair though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

It's more about the inertia than the movement speed, you know what I mean? It's where the whole "steering" thing comes from. There's a degree of felt delay to everything you do.

I never really felt that so much but the complaints about geralts movement also sort of flew over my head. Might not be super sensitive to gamefeel? V:shobon:V

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Or on a resource container. Fultoning is a hilarious idea and MGSV does it justice.

I wish Konami would port at least Peace Walker to the PC because I think it does a lot of the gameplay better than MGSV.

Also I'm pretty sure for every story ally you recruit, you fulton them right inside the cutscene, screaming all the way to your war crimes clubhouse.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Kaz pipes up when you fulton a woman and he says "alright".

Does he do that in MGSV too? I forgot.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 30, 2020

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

No, and probably because there are zero women soldiers out in the field. I think the only time you can Fulton a female soldier is in an FOB invasion, maybe?

Also, I don't really think Peacewalker does gameplay better than MGS5 at all. It's a proto-MGS5, but doesn't top it in gameplay in any way.

I liked the base management more than MGSV .

There are definitely female pows at least, I do remember female soldiers being super rare in V.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I recommend everyone get Killer 7 since it's on sale. it's an incredible game once you get used to the controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Did Shadow of War not get as well received as Shadow of Mordor? I remember the response being somewhat muted compared to the original.