Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

deep dish peat moss posted:

Siralim Ultimate is really very good

There is an astounding amount of build diversity. If you like tinkering with endless possibilities I cannot recommend this game to you enough, look at all the bullshit I've layered together to make my current build:

1) My Spec is Druid which is focused around dodging, increasing dodge chance, and increasing speed (which increases dodge).
2) I use a Druid Perk that makes the Defend action increase my creatures' Speed instead of Defense
3) Then I have a Lich Priest in my party which gives my entire party a large Death-powered AoE spell called Murder of Crows which refreshes charges every fight
4) I also use a salamander in my party that makes it so that when my creatures Defend, they cast one of their spells at random, and it's fused with something that gave it a trait that makes every spell cast by my party have a 50% chance to be cast again
5) Then I make sure not to equip any spells on any creature so that Murder of Crows is the only spell they have
6) Next I have a Lich Shadowcaster that makes all of my creatures cast Death spells as if they had 100% more Intelligence
7) Then there's a Raven Acolyte which gives my entire party 30% more intelligence, fused with a Water Priest which makes this Raven Acolyte share 15% of his intelligence with the entire party each time it takes a turn.
8) And a Raven Ritualist, which deals 20% of its intelligence as damage to every enemy every time one of my creatures casts a spell.
9) And I fused something with a rift dancer that makes all effects that trigger on Defend trigger an extra time

So in battle I just have all six of my creatures Defend, which triggers each of them to cast this large Murder of Crows AOE spell, which triggers the Raven Ritualist to deal additional AOE damage to the entire party. And then there are even MORE traits I've stacked on like casting a spell has a chance to give my creatures a random buff, my creatures are immune to intelligence-reducing debuffs, etc. And all of my creatures hover around ~80-90% chance to dodge, with 50% chance to dodge spells.

This might sound overpowered and, yeah, it is - and so is every build in Siralim, and so are enemy party comps, which will occasionally hard counter you, and that means always being ready to tweak the team to counter what I'm up against. Then there are literally hundreds of other party comps I can think of looking at just the list of creatures I've got so far (42 floors in, there are 150 total currently in the game) plus however many hundreds more that I'm not clever enough to think of.

There's ALSO a mode you can enable that regularly forces you into different classes/specs which makes you re-evaluate your build basically every single dungeon run which is rad and I can't wait to unlock it

Game owns

Ok, as somebody who just played through 3 a few months ago and loves it but it ready to get...something else out of the series will ultimate deliver in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yoked posted:

If I'm enjoying Wasteland 3, is Divinity Original Sin 2 worth getting? I guess I don't ever remember this coming out, but $17.99 seems like a good price.

You could move the decimal point one space to the right and D:OS2 would still be worth it. It's an all-timer.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I took advantage of the sale to buy 4 games off my wishlist because they were cheap and I am curious about them. Does anybody here have any knowledge/experience/opinions on any of the following games?

1) Urtuk, The Desolation
2) Kingdom: Two Crowns (technically both Kingdom Games since buying the whole package was like .50 more)
3) Heretic Operative
4) Uncharted Ocean

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok of the 6 games I bought I've played 4 of them.

Heretic Operative: First game went by smoothly but left me with questions about the game as a whole. "The City Seems like a deathtrap where passing skill checks is nigh-impossible. I can't seem to gain stats, what purpose does this serve" "How much does the game change when you unlock different decks?" I should probably try to answer these questions by myself but I haven't as of yet.

Urtuk, The Desolation: Battle Brothers with a goal and Darkest Dungeon-esque aesthetic sensibilities. Pretty good. Can see how it would get redundant quickly though. Shame it's a low-magic world. Could benefit from a little more magic to mix things up a bit.

Uncharted Ocean Didn't play this one for very long. Decided I wasn't in the mood for a 'sail around trading until you have enough money to buy a big ship' game so just decided to stop it there.

Kingdom Two Crowns: Dead Lands First I'm like 'so this game is a city builder that hates explaining things so you just have to guess at almost everything. I'm out.' Then it was 'this game has some mysteries and depth I'm not seeing initially, I'm back in' Finally it was 'I've spent the last hour pacing around my city expanding it but not really changing anything. When does the loop progress? There's this angel but I need diamonds to do anything with her. She is mysterious. Here is a shipwreck. What can I do with this? Oh fix it then LEAVE THE MAP AND START OVER WHAT THE gently caress?!?! I don't even know anymore'
Edit: And the monsters are wrecking me faster than I can drive them back on this island so I guess I'm just hosed.

Don't really know if I'm gonna sink a ton of hours into any of these TBH. I still have Shadowrun Hong Kong and Deep Sky Derelicts in the queue. I'll probably try the latter first.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 8, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Be great if the game explained that part. Or anything beyond the most basic mechanics.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've heard complaints that it's more linear than it makes itself out to be. Which is no bueno for me.
I switched to Kingdom Two Crowns: New Lands and it seems to be Dead Lands without the stuff that makes that game intruiging. Maybe it's on future islands. Maybe I'll have to just dismiss that game as dull. City building feels like growing without improving. Parapet, Wall, Maybe Farm, Parapet, wall, catapult workshop once, Parapet, Wall, Parapet Wall and that's like, it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jamfrost posted:

Death Stranding, a game so good, it managed to make me write a review from the hip at 0500 after finishing it. I forgot to mention all the wordplay. I love the puns.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Jamfrost/recommended/1190460/

If you have a similar brain to mine, you'll probably want to play as Hideo Kojima's Norman Reedus. It's obviously not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but man, this is my #1 delivery/hauling game. Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Rebel Galaxy just don't do it like Death Stranding does. Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor massive BTs stay these couriers from the swift delivery of slightly damaged packages.

Death Stranding jumps from 'impossibly interesting' to 'impossibly boring' in a way no other game has for me ever.
Unfortunately BB crying at me through the microphone pushed the game into 'I don't really want to go back to this game' territory.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, played the final game on the list: Deep Sky Derelicts
Probably the best game of the bunch. Clear Darkest Dungeon DNA but with card-based combat and the ability to turn off ironman mode. Played an hour, got through the first derelict but...
man truth be told, none of these games are bad but none of them are holding my interest either. Galling.
I also bought Shadowrun: Hong Kong. This is more of a known factor to me. Returns and Dragonfall were games I enjoyed but they weren't exactly a 'hit' for me either, more of a graze. I think I rejected their linearity. I don't think Hong Kong is any different but it was also 5$ so it seemed prudent to check for myself.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Has anybody here played Eador: Master of the Broken worlds or it's remake Imperium? It's one of my favorite games and it's also one of those games I here exactly nobody talk about ever.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cardiovorax posted:

I've played Genesis, but back when the (original) remake came out opinions seemed to be mostly negative, so I never really tried out MotBW even though I think I got it from some bundle or another.

There's some apparent fundamental engine problems they can't fix without breaking everything apart and rebuilding it from scratch but aside from the occasional crash nothing seems super broken.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

I think I played MotBW a while back but I'm not sure if it was that, or another Eador title. I remember that you could take one hero onto each new map I think? I remember it being interesting for the first several maps and then I eventually just got bored of doing similar maps over and over again.

Looking at it now the reviews seem pretty down on it but Imperium seems to have been better recieved. Do you know what they changed in Imperium?

MotBW and Imperium are more or less the same game. Imperium has updated graphics (which might account for the difference in review scores, the graphics in MotBW were basic as hell, especially combat) and more units to choose from. I don't know if it has any other upgrades. If you got bored with MotBW then Imperium isn't going to offer anything new for you.

For me; Imperium is like an open-world dungeon trawling game masquerading as and SRPG/4X game. I just love exploring places, beating up monsters, getting loot, powering up my heroes and occasionally beating up enemy heroes. I never deal with the progressive map stuff or the campaigns; I just do one big sandbox map and call the game done at the point. I wish there were more games that would just let me...do that.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 21, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cardiovorax posted:

There's this city-builder/first-person dungeon crawler hybrid game called Heroes of a Broken Land that might be to your taste. It's a completely different kind of game, but it has a similar overall structure of building parties of dudes and sending them out while occasionally improving your home base.

I've played that too. I love it but after awhile I felt like 'ok, enough with the loving slimes already, time to move on to the higher CR stuff in the monster manual'
And the game mechanics collapse inward if you select a game map bigger than medium. The game has a level scale of approximately 1-20 like in D&D but dungeons have progressively higher levels the further you venture out and don't cap so you eventually hit level 120 dungeons you'll never be able to do.

I have Heroes of a Broken Land 2 on my watchlist but development has been slow going. Thankfully they released a new version right around the new year so I hope things are progressing.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 21, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Cardiovorax posted:

Then maybe Kenshi? It's basically the most perfect fusion of an RTS and an RPG that I've ever seen. You're plopped down into a massively huge open world with a squad of characters that all improve individually, can recruit an arbitrary number of further ones, sort them into multiple squads that can do different things in different locations at the same time, and you can just plop down bases at will literally anywhere there is physically enough room for it. It's also a really interesting not-exactly-post-apoc setting with some surprisingly well-planned backstory to it, but you have to go out of your way to actually search for the information and put it together yourself. One of my favourite games around, really.

I tried playing Kenshi. It was overwhelming. Around the time I got killed by a pack of dogs and spent 10 minutes just lying there waiting to revive only to continue to be surrounded by dogs told me it was time to refund it. It was still in Beta at the time but that sorta felt like the game's raison d'etre

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

Well, that would certainly explain how folks seem to have had such divergent experiences with it.

Uh, have you tried Legends of Eisenwald? It's more of a party-based RPG, no 4x elements, but it does have a lot of overworld exploration and monster-slaying and loot-getting.

I bought LoE back when it was in beta 5+ years ago on the grounds that it took its cues from 1C's Kings' Bounty series which is one of my favorite series ever. Unfortunately it wasn't that really. But I was still intrigued and tried it again when it hit 1.0. I bounced off partially because it was one of those games where how to finish quests is murky and, being an extremely niche title, had few resources for it. All the same thank you for reminding me it exists, I might reinstall now that you mention it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

habituallyred posted:

Eador: Genesis had a lot of buzz back in the day, including its own thread. Master of the Broken Worlds just didn't work well out of the gate, and was real loving slow in comparison to genesis. I still can't believe they screwed up the revert to end of previous turn feature!

I still remember groundhogs daying my way through ridiculous fights. Getting to the other end of fights with nobody but your 99% dead hero is bad strategy, but a ton of fun. gently caress you Vampire garrison and your twin ghosts. My paladin had to switch weapons twice and revive once to beat you, but I did it.

So TIL Eador: Genesis exists...what's to recommend it over MotBW/Imperium?
(I got real confused when I thought everybody was calling Imperium 'Genesis' for some reason).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I'm starting to play Legends of Eisenwald again and I think I'm figuring out why I bounced off the game the first time. Going off the beaten path is basically a pixel hunt as you click around trying to find the path your character will actually follow. The tutorial gives you a hint that a treasure is hidden in the ruins of a watchtower on the coast. The watchtower in question is almost completely hidden by forest and there is nothing suggesting that there is a path into the woods to begin with.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Going back to games for a second:

I'm giving Legends of Eisenwald another try. I don't feel like I'm about to bounce off of it right now but there are some issues I have with the game.

~ You can click on castles to show what units are occupying it. But the game only shows you the pictures of who is there, nothing about comparative power, nothing describing their class. So you just have to look at say 'well their armor is shinier than mine so I guess they're stronger.' If you try to click on things like abandoned watchtowers or derelict swamp shacks it doesn't show you anything.

~ You think you come across one of these things and in most games it would be "Oh hey, beat up Bandits for fun and prizes" buuuuut then you fight them and they don't give you anything of note. And healing costs money in this game so you're likely to come out of these fights with significantly less than you started with. And money is kind of at a premium in this game. Takes the fun out of exploration when the stuff you find doesn't seem to benefit you.

~ I recruited a peasant. I thought 'oh hey maybe this lovely peasant can work his way through the ranks and become something cool.'. Turns out Peasants don't have ranks. And you know what? That would be fine except for the part where you can't see a unit's progress tree until they level up. Experience is also at a premium in this game and the XP I dumped into him would have been better spent on a better unit. This is not to speak of the money I spent healing his useless rear end.

Still I feel like there is some magnificent layer of game here that I just haven't reached yet. I might be wrong about some of this stuff but my knowledge of this game is far from complete. (And it's so obscure the internet isn't a ton of help)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've often wondered but nobody can confirm or deny. (About my accent).

Still don't know about Eisenwald. The game has its fun bits but it also super jankey and is level based so you have to start (almost) from scratch every level. I think I'm Eador'ed out for now. Dunno what else I wanna play. The only game I bought during the Steam Sale that I'd want to go back to is Deep Sky Derelicts so maybe that.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok I decided to take the dip into Monster Sanctuary and I'm glad I did. Extremely fun mixture of monster collection RPG and Metroidvania. But I'm about ready for it to be over and move onto the next thing.

The next thing being World of Horror. I'm not a big fan of the spoops but the 1 bit body horror aesthetic intrigues me. Anybody else got hands-on on this?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Monster Sanctuary just threw me for a loop in the final lap. I know I have 4 bosses or so left. The first of which has absolutely stonewalled me. His team can somehow strip all my buffs, stack multiple layers of armor break on my entire team and get maximum regeneration stacks on his team in a single round. And at this point I'm at max level with all my equipment maxed out so there's no outleveling the content. At this point it's pretty obvious that the designers want you to craft your team with a clear purpose and synergy, almost like designing a tournament playable deck in Magic the Gathering or something. But that means combing through all the monsters I've caught, assessing their skill trees and resistances, throwing level up items at the monsters I choose and HOPING that all the effort doesn't just lead to me getting my rear end kicked again.

Turns out as much fun as this game was I really don't want to deal with any of that so I guess it's time to move on.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 8, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, getting bored with Loop Hero. Anybody want to try to sell me on or off Valheim or Wildermyth?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thank you for the input everybody.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

nordichammer posted:

Wildermyth was cool for my one campaign, if a little long, but I'm not sure how much I care to replay it. There are some small things that can be changed with abilities in battle in another run. I doubt it would be different enough to play a longer campaign. I value gameplay more than encounters or blurbs.

The battle system is cool, though. I especially enjoyed how the magic was handled. The equipment stuff sucked imo but eh not enough to discourage the player.

If it's on sale and you're interested, grab it. If not interested, you're not missing a whole lot.

Valheim is rough around the edges, but decent enough if you can forgive N64 graphics. It has some good features and a decent enough loop. The scaling feels super off, and it feels like it is very early in early access despite apparently being out for 2 years on itch. If you know people who are playing it, you could do worse for a chill survival Sim. I'd recommend Minecraft and 7 Days to Die with easier settings over it, but it's probably 3rd out of the few I've played.

I played 7 Days to Die back when it was in Beta...wow 6 1/2 years ago now. It was pretty good then even if I got killed a bunch to start and having to stop everything to hunker down for Zombie invasions every week got tiresome.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

My strategy for the Taurus Demon was 'ok my reaction time is too slow to dodge his swings so I'm going to lure him down the ladder, climb the ladder then jump on his head and repeat until he's dead.
The reaction time thing would come back to bite me in the Ornstein/Smough fight. Which I won by getting Super...whichever the lanky one was stuck on a pillar and crossbowing him to death. I took a break after that fight. The break has lasted the better part of a decade.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wait, Ooblets came out?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I played BotW, Horizon: Zero Dawn and NieR: Automata back-to-back to back. NieR was the story game, BotW was the gameplay game and HZD was the balanced game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Anno posted:

Wait there was a new Master of Magic announced today??? Looks like it’s being developed by the folks what did Thea 1/2.

Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic felt like such a natural progression it never occurred to me to desire an actual new game in the series.
(Had a hard time getting into AoW 3 though. Maybe it just wasn't the kind of game I wanted to play at the time).

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So on Ted Faro:

Sometimes you have villains who occassionally succeed on destroying the world. Ted Faro destroyed the world twice. That shouldn't even be possible. And he didn't do it out of intent or malice. It was a byproduct of his own ego. After his actions destroyed the world he still had enough ego left to think he had any business dictating what the future world should be.

This is man who destroyed the world, destroyed human history and turned humanity into a bunch of door worshippers just because of who he is as a person.

And he's been dead for a very long time at this point so you can't even get the catharsis of strangling him.

Count Uvula posted:

TROUBLESHOOTER - Anime as hell but it's got a surprisingly nuanced world. Like Deadfire it involves a ton of factional politics and mostly looks at those politics through a lens of materialism. Unlike Deadfire it involves a world where a capitalistic country has ended up with a police force that consists mostly of contract-worker teens and just sort of has fun with how bad of a concept this is (e.g. there's a point where a gang war starts and the actual formal police are begging the contractors to help because all of the contractors except the player's company just immediately abandon the inner city the moment it becomes riskier than hunting feral dogs in the boonies)

I loved Troubleshooter but it's one of those games where I just wish I could go 'hey developer, if you need help with a second run translation to make the dialogue less janky...'

I didn't love that it was a 100 hour game it was just 'Chapter 1'.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 1, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Mescal posted:

If you also slept on streets of rogue, don't ignore it due to the very generic look. If you liked the way difficulty was tuned in spelunky, you'll be down.

I bought it and I loved the premise but didn't love how everything killed me and I could never do anything cool.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Come oooooon King's Bounty 2, unlock so I can download you.
(I don't buy enough Steam stuff day 1 to know what time of day things usually unlock)
Also if you've never heard of the King's Bounty series, try it, it's good. Especially if you were ever a fan of the Heroes of Might and Magic series because it's that combat system adapted to a single player RPG. (The original Sega Genesis King's Bounty was developed by the same design team). KB 2 is really KB 5 as 1C has released 4 distinct games within the series. Of them Armored Princess (the second one) is the best.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

victrix posted:

let me know how it turns out, I liked the first one but reviews are extremely mixed

They were also mixed on the last two KB games. I love them but objectively there is a definite lack of spit-and-polish on those two.
I'm not looking at the reviews because I am 95% sure a 5/10 from them with be an 8/10 for me where this series is concerned but I'll try to be more objective when it comes to recommendations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Srice posted:

Armored Princess/Crossworlds was my fave as well, though it was a rocky start for me since it turns out the ideal way to play the early game is to avoid as many fights as possible and collect poo poo on the map, unlock another island, then travel there and repeat.

Janky game design that I appreciated a lot after figuring that out.

Absolutely true to the original though. Personally, I was a fan.

Nyaa posted:

There only thing I dislike about KB is the limiter on the size of your army, which mean I can’t steamroll through things with wealth :homebrew:

My two least favorite things:

1) There are in-game trophies. The trophies give bonuses. There is a bonus for 'win battle with no casualties'. The reward was leadership, which lets you make bigger armies and it basically the most important stat. The only practical way to do this is with Paladins/Inquisitors, which took a very powerful unit and made them borderline necessary.

2) Except for Dark Side you can't field undead/demon armies because there are nowhere near enough troops in the game world to actually build your army. I suspect this is the whole reason why Dark Side existed in the first place.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 24, 2021

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, people were asking for a review of King's Bounty 2 and I finally feel like I've played enough of it that I can sort out some of my thoughts on it.

~ They flattened the troop curve (you can't have more than 10 members of any unit regardless of your leadership) and if a unit isn't completely wiped out you can heal them after battle for a fraction of what they would cost to re-hire. This means that the power gap between lower and higher level units isn't as pronounced as in the originals, but you wind up having to ditch them anyway because carrying a stack of 10 spearmen with a total leadership cost of 1400 isn't going to work very well once you're at the point in the game where you're at 3000 leadership.

~ No more dancing enemy armies trying to loot the stuff around them. Enemy units are stationary and have a fixed aggro radius. Overall this makes the game feel like 'Divinity Original Sin 2' where while the game isn't linear you're gated pretty hard. And in this game with its new graphics engine and over the shoulder cam loot hunting is more about finding a bunch of lootable objects with like 70 gold and 3 junk items than the original's big shiny treasure boxes.

~ Fewer units, units are sorted into ideologies rather than factions (Order, Anarchy, Power, Finesse). There are also loose groupings (Bandit, Nostrian Soldier, Animal, Undead) but those are mostly important for gear-related purposes. Order and Anarchy are opposed, as are Power and Finesse. This means that unlike the previous games you don't have to worry about not having enough troops of a given faction to form an army (Undead don't completely tank morale like they did in the previous games)

~ The talent trees are also sorted into ideologies. Not only that but you have to get X amount of 'points' in any ideology branch to unlock successive tiers. You get ideology points from finishing quests in a certain way. Quests in this game give you multiple ways to do things. (like an order way or an anarchy way, or a finesse or a power way). So you if you want the finesse ultimate talent be prepared to do all your quests the finesse style.

~ Money is a lot tighter. I've never had more than 25k gold at any given time (though I also horde items)

Beyond all this, the prognosis on KB2 is that it's the successor to a janky game series that tried to shake off its shank and fall in line with modern design sensibilities. But in doing so it lost a lot of what made it special and unique.

I'm still playing the hell out it mind you.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks for the review! Think I’ll give it a pass until a sale or something. A big part of why I liked the previous games was that I could sneak around and hoover up gold and upgrades or try to sequence break, I’ll be sad to see that go.

I'm glad I could be of help because yeah, that's exactly what you can't do.
Basically I'm playing the hell out of this game but I can't stop thinking about how much I liked the older games better as I do.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

HopperUK posted:

Gotta get more Catholic, then this stuff just looks normal

Me seeing Blasphemous for the first time: Ok, you guys went RIDICULOUSLY extra on the Catholic iconography. It's ridiculous.
The Devs: Here are our reference images.
Me looking at the reference images: Oh, carry on then.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Bardeh posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987840/Expeditions_Rome/

Expeditions: Rome is out in a few hours, and if you're looking for a CRPG fix it looks to be a pretty good time. I enjoyed the demo (which you should try) - a nice mix of reactive storyline, meaningful choices, decent hex-based turn-based combat, and some light grand strategy and basebuilding stuff on top of it all. Character building and speccing is pretty basic though, coming from Pathfinder (but after Pathfinder I'm glad of that, WOTR completely overwhelmed me). It's quite cheap too!

If you know anything about how this game compares to previous games in the series let me know. It's cheap but I'd still rather pay 60% of the price on Conquistadors if it isn't an iterative improvement.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Gato posted:

I never finished conquistador but I loved viking, about 6h into Rome so far. I found Conquistador clunky and repetitive, cool setting but felt like a first draft mechanics-wise.

Viking has a much better story with actual characters, rpg mechanics and encounter design, but the management meta-layer of wandering around scavenging food gets repetitive after a while and battles feel slow

Rome so far feels like more of the same as viking, in a good way. More character builds, interesting combat scenarios, more streamlined management stuff. I'm not sure if all the mechanics are still going to feel fresh 20+ hours in, and by all accounts it's a loong game

I'd recommend starting with Viking since it's a great game in its own right imo

Good to know. Right now I bought Bard's Tale IV on PS4 for 6$ on sale. It's decent so far but it feels like a less polished Might and Magic X. And even M&M X was a 'appreciate it for what it is rather than what you wish it was' game so I don't know how long I'm going to stick with it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Begemot posted:

The director of the game said in an interview today that it was not an isekai.

So Limp Bizkit and Frank Sinatra canonically exist in the Final Fantasy 1 universe.

My guess is that they are inside some metaphysical representation of Chaos where Limp Bizkit, Frank Sinatra and Final Fantasy can coexist.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

CharlestheHammer posted:

From what is being described I think I will not play control, it doesn’t sound very fun

It is fun, but not in a 'can't miss it' sort of way. Solid 7/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have been fighting a persisting lingering migraine* for over a week now. I haven't played anything other than MTG Arena (which I play the same way bored office workers play minesweeper)in that timeframe. I want to play something else. I was playing Triangle Strategy but I feel like I'm about to bounce off that game. I was thinking of buying either Omori or tERRORbane.

*Not like 'consistently in pain'. It just feels like my brain constantly has pressure on it that could threaten to turn into a migraine if I run afoul of any other migraine triggers. So I'm fine, mostly.