Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you don't own "Return of the Obra Dinn", now's your chance; half-off.
https://twitter.com/dukope/status/1317148830849069056

Why should you play Obra Dinn? It's a haunting piece of storytelling masked as a point-and-click adventure. It's also a genuinely challenging mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

chglcu posted:

Obra Dinn seems like a really interesting game, but each time I’ve tried to play it, the art style has triggered massive headaches for me, no matter what graphics options I tried.

I hear you; I have migraines and it can be a trigger. For me, it made a big difference reconfiguring the game and my computer so that the POV didn't swing wildly with mouse moves, but I can easily imagine it being strobe-y as gently caress for some people.

e:

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm curious what similar issues other people have had with particular games actually. As far as I'm aware I don't have any problems with my eyesight right now, but EU4 is the only game I've ever played that gave me eyestrain bad enough that I had to stop playing.

One of the things that often goes with migraine is car-sickness. I can't play (much to my regret) either My Time at Portia or Slime Rancher for > 1/2 hour before triggering a migraine. I think it's that I can't zoom out enough.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 16, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ilhan Omar posted her PC specs. What's this build like? Low-end, medium-end, what?

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1318737296120778752

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

It turns out from upthread that she just borrowed the machine her video editor uses, which makes sense

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Philman posted:

for you or anyone else who decides to pick it up:
1 - dont min max
2 - take your time. there is no penalty for taking too long to complete the game.
3 - dont save scum, failing a skill check is not a bad thing so just go with the rolls.
4 - you cannot get yourself stuck in a state where you cannot continue the investigation. just keep trying.

You can totally die. I did it in the tutorial. Achievement unlocked.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Lord, I haven't seen a Cerebus reference in years. I was just looking at my old phonebooks on the top of the shelf and wondering if the used bookstore would take them.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Somebody upthread said "Xianjia is better than wujia". Do you have recommendations for some novels/graphic novels?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Looking back in the thread a bit, they actually said the opposite, which is fair.

Yipes, I apologize to the unremembered-by-me poster.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Azran posted:

Don't Starve is one of those games I could never get the hang of. Like I'd go into it, build a couple basic tools, search for a gold nugget so I could get the science station up and running and then I wouldn't know what the next step was, since food would quickly become an issue and enemies would just destroy me. This was DST, in case it matters.

In DST, you really really need to have a team that knows what to do, and you can tag along and learn. Otherwise, you are going to get slaughtered early on because you don't know about, for instance, getting to the caves early so you can build a winter base. A goon had a standing DST game, but I drifted away because my hours didn't match his.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I have a lot of stuff on my wishlist, but I wound up buying mostly "here is a good escape from the hellworld that is 2020".
Pixel Puzzle Makeout League I like Picross-style puzzles, the plot sounds fun and silly, it just released yesterday, so who knows.
Pepper's Puzzles Did I mention I like Picross puzzles?
Whispers of a Machine I also like point-and-click.
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles I've used up Stardew Valley; here's hoping it scratches some of the same itch.
Heart's Medicine - Time to Heal I hear these are good and it's currently way cheap.

In the next 44 hours, if you like simulation/builder games at all, or if you've ever liked anything by Klei, go buy Oxygen Not Included right now. It's 40% off and you will get many many hours' playtime out of it.

e because time units are hard

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I remember Sunless Sea and Sky seemed interesting. Any particular reason to get one over the other?

Sky's mechanics (accurately) have substantial inertia when trying to maneuver your vehicle. I found this annoying. There is also no equivalent of the "hugging the shores while you explore" strategy for Sea. I recommend Sea over Sky because you can spend less time on the navigation and more on the plot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

In general, I don't game a ton but I used to poopsock Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, and I'll still poopsock Diablo 3 for a couple weeks if there's a popular season. Is this simply a matter of not playing gaming enough? :negative:
Sigh. I wanted to play Hades at some point. You aren't alone in having some games cause motion sickness; I can't play My Time At Portia or Slime Rancher.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Never heard of anyone getting motion sick from a 2D game. The only game that's ever made me motion sick was Half Life 2 at launch (Apparently the FOV was set at like 75 or something).

I have to play Obra Dinn very carefully (and with controls set to least sensitive) to avoid getting sick from the POV camera moves.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 2, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Everyone stop what you are doing and go buy Dracula: Love Kills. It is an immensely entertaining Hidden Object Game with some neat puzzles, full voice acting and extremely cheesy plot. If you've ever wondered if HOGs are for you, here's your chance to find out, for the princely sum of one US american dollar

Oh, thank you. I love HOGs and this looks delightfully cheesy.

Trip report after a week-ish playing Pixel Puzzle Makeout League: If you like Picross-style games (nonograms) and can tolerate dating sims -- or vice versa -- try this out. The puzzles range from 5x5s to 15x15s, and unlike Murder by Numbers, the pictures actually make sense as pictures rather than being color blobs. The dating sim part starts slow, but once you get introduced to the characters, it's funny and sweet. The art is fun.

Complaints:
There's no way to turn off the typing animation in text. You just have to sit there while text slowly types out. Grr.
The pointing device is a heart, and the actual selection point is the center of the heart. Based on Steam forums, the devs think they're finished with this one, and have no intention of, for instance, allowing the system cursor. Many misclicks ensued.

Praise: The drag-select is very well-bounded, and I rarely drag items in the row beside the one I wanted.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a matter of personal attitude, I guess. I'll admit I'd find it difficult to think of myself as anything other than disfigured if I ever ended up with the kind of major facial scarring that really serious third-degree burn victims often end up suffering from. Not that I think that anyone should feel like this devalues them as a person in any way, but it is a permanent and highly visible reminder of a very serious and frankly horrifying bodily injury.
Here's the thing about analogies like this: your imagination of what you'd feel like doesn't trump (as in bridge) the report of somebody who actually does have the condition. It's the same reason that "I wouldn't mind if people hit on me" doesn't trump "People are harassing me on the street."

Disfigured is a pejorative in the same way that deafmute is a pejorative. It's got a judgement bound up in the description.

Cardiovorax posted:

For those who aren't familiar (you shouldn't be, it's incredibly stupid) 4'33 is a piece of "music" that consists of the composer quietly sitting in a recording room and doing nothing whatsoever. In other words, under the DMCA you can legally send people a takedown notice for having copyrighted silence in their own work.

Nope. John Cage was an experimental composer, and 4'33 was written to be performed before a live audience, not recorded. The point of 4'33 is that the sounds in the room are the music. It's a serious musical statement, and people play it seriously all the time.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 14, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yipes, sorry, post not edit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

:same:

He was an excellent bond, he just got done dirty by being in movies that no actor could have saved

See also Timothy Dalton.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Because more people are at this very moment still playing Isaac than most those other newer, "better" titles combined.

Where are those graphs from? That's cool!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I like it, but I'm just coming off a binge of Hornblower books and might be heading for O'Brien next.
Warning: Once you go O'Brian you never go back. All the sea battle of Hornblower, plus magnificent prose, subtle humor, and characterization that builds over many books..

Also, you should look at Return of the Obra Dinn if you haven't. Set in 1807, an insurance inspector is figuring out what happened to a ship that disappeared in 1802, but has suddenly reappeared in court. It's very handy to know things like what a bo'sun's hat looked like.

If you like solitaire games, Faerie Solitaire Remastered and Faerie Solitaire Harvest are on sale; Remastered is 99 cents. These are good and satisfying solitaire games with horrifically badly written story lines. Skip the narration if at all possible, or roll to avoid brain damage.

80 Days is a fun choose-your-adventure based loosely on Around the World in 80 Days; currently $5.

If you like jigsaw/piece assembly puzzles, Glass Masquerade is beautiful for $1.74. The pieces are stained glass and light shines through them as you work.

Cloud Gardens is an immensely soothing game in which you cover pieces of junk or junked buildings, or junked landscapes, with plants. Early Access but has a lot of content already; $5.99

The Colonists is a management sim in which robots, mimicking the human overlords they fled from, are building homes for themselves on a new planet. Both adorbs and challenging; I'm 85 hours in. Currently $17.49.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tell me more about Colonists, please. I'm very close to picking it but need more to push me over the edge. Does it have a campaign?

It has multiple campaigns that unlock new technologies and goals. They added a freeplay for the first time a couple of months ago. They are also now running monthly campaigns with leaderboards.

e: Could we have a separate GOTY thread? I like reading it, but I'd like it separated from general game recs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Avoid old Frogwares games. I bought Dracula: Origins when it was on sale, and it kept crashing. Apparently they never recompiled it for Windows 10.

One solution is here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1990017394

The solution I used was to turn off custom cursor and run in windowed mode, which also works.

In either case, though, the discussions are full of "This sucker crashes" and the developer did nothing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just started "I Am Dead", and holy cow is it beautiful. It's like playing a game entirely made up of classic National Park posters.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ooh, that looks exactly the sort of thing I enjoy. Haven't played a good text adventure in years. ka-ching!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Goons, tell me whether I should buy Stellaris for :10bux:. I like Civ, but am very bad at the battle part.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Philman posted:

Yes, try it. I dislike turn based 4x and like stellaris. It's a politics rpg mostly, with nice SciFi quests and stuff.

Absolutely perfect for me. Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

Murder by Numbers - $10

I had a lot of fun with this. The murder mysteries and the nonogram puzzles were well integrated. The character art is a delight. HOWEVER. When you solve the puzzles the resulting images look like blobs. The results, even with a lot of coloring, don't look like the objects they are supposed to represent. If you like doing nonograms in a pure-reasoning way, without using the picture for tips, you're good. The mysteries are pretty railroaded; it's hard (maybe impossible? I don't remember) to make a mistake that keeps you from solving the case. The nonograms are good and challenging. I got 70 hours out of it, so it's definitely worth :10bux:.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Amazing Cultivation Simulator thread. It's pretty. It's fun.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I wound up buying I Am Dead, Surviving Mars, Factory Town, Stellaris, and PataNoir. Bought and refunded Four Last Things, because I didn't mesh with its sense of humor.

So far I'm loving Factory Town. I Am Dead is very frustrating because for whatever reason, when I find things I don't get credit for them in the bubbles to the left of the screen. For instance, I found the Rubik's Cube but the game didn't register it. I'm talking to the support center, and they don't know what's up and will pass me to somebody 'more knowledgeable'.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

So I just tried for probably like the 8th time to get into Don't Starve Together before bouncing off it yet again, and I've come to the conclusion that it's largely because the combat is about as intuitive as combat in Space Station 13. Like SS13, if you don't feel like coming to grips with this raging trashfire of a system you're absolutely going to loving die. Unlike SS13, you can't just shrug and go focus your efforts on the more interesting aspects of the game.
I'm terrible at the combat, too. However, you can just shrug. What you need is to play with a team of friends, rather than strangers. A team will be delighted to have somebody who just sits at home and farms and crafts, leaving the fighting to them. (I really need to meet up with the team I used to play with; we just had a schedule conflict.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

repiv posted:

CDPR loving up isn't a surprise, but I am surprised that flashing scene made it past Sony and Microsofts certification processes

Don't they have requirements for that kind of thing?
Pretty sure the requirement is "put a label on the box 'if you have conditions, don't buy the game', go out for couple of martinis."

There is absolutely no legal requirement that you warn consumers about flashing/strobing lights: see the last Star Wars movie, of which (I'm told; I'll never see it) the last half hour is consistently flashing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was playing "The Solitaire Conspiracy" (do not recommend) and the cutscenes are acted by Greg Miller, whose "Haha, I'm going to betray you" would be subtler if painted on his forehead in arterial blood.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://www.polygon.com/2020/12/10/22167349/cyberpunk-2077-penis-glitch-breasts
Cyberpunk 2007 has a bug where naked breasts and penises clip through clothing.

NSFW example:

https://twitter.com/ConorFoShaw/status/1336683477606002688

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Did Humble ever provide a way to navigate through the enormous number of games/shoveljunk that wound up being included in the bundle? Or is it just paging through until your fingers fall off?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks, I did mean the itch bundle (started to say itch and corrected to Humble, who knows why), and a search box is exactly what I wanted when it came out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Factorio came out this year? Huh. (Can't check because my Steam client can't connect to servers.)

Polygon dropped their Top 50 list, with the top 10 to come. They're excluding Cyberpunk 2077 and saying it'll be eligible next year, because there hasn't been time to play it enough for a good evaluation. I wish other reviewers would do the same.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

League of Legends

I thought their justification was pretty convincing, actually.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

https://twitter.com/katietiedrich/status/1338675155409776643?s=20

It's rather boggling, but I believe she's being serious about this. I'm cracking up at the mental image either way.

The replies to this are comedy gold and should not be missed. I have tears in my eyes from laughing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bought Calico, played 28 minutes, refunded. I found the controls annoying and the design unpretty. Basically, if your selling concept is "cat cafes are cuuuute", your furniture ought to look better than it does in the cat cafe phone games. Which are very cute indeed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pierson, take a look at Shadowhand and Regency Solitaire. Under leaves is wonderfully beautiful if you like hidden object.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Even ignoring the whole MeToo aspect to the dev, all the timers in that game and the complete lack of instructions make it significantly more complex and more frustrating than solitaire.

Cosigned. I loved the aesthetic but I could not figure out how to play the game, and the timers made it completely unfun. When you're trying to figure out how a game works, having a short timer counting down is maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

It's not a particularly pretty game like Glass Masquerade, but Paint It Back is picross and what monster doesn't like picross?

Paint It Back has an entire section on the 2016 election, and man did that harsh my mellow. Take a look at Cloud Gardens and see what you think. It's very light on the puzzle solving; mostly it's making a section of abandoned building look pretty by planting it.