Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

i'll throw in for DS4 as controller of choice. my wife has had a PS4 since launch, and i use them for my PC all the time, and we've only had to replace one. they're also more comfortable than bone pads, but that's preference. also never had much issue getting it to work with anything, even non Steam games and emulators through DS4Windows. the only real issue is that some games, especially stuff from the 360 era, doesn't have support for onscreen PS buttons, which makes games with QTEs really drat hard if you're like me and have no idea what xbox buttons map to which sony ones. sometimes this is fixable, sometimes it's not. it's only really a problem for action games.

i also really like the basic wired Switch controllers, but they aren't as compatible with outside Steam stuff and seem to run into the no native onscreen prompt support issue even more.

You can use Steam's controller support with non-Steam games by launching the games through Steam. Fist add them to Steam using the "+ Add A Game" in the bottom left of the library. Works for any controller Steam supports.

I like the PS4 controller as well. Haven't had any break of the 3 I have: one each for the PS4, PC, and Switch. The only controller I've managed to break is the Switch Pro, broke the left stick and also did a number on my left thumb - leading to the realization that one reason I like the PS4 controller so much is that it has both sticks aligned in the lower part of the controller which I find more comfortable than having the left stick raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can you recommend some $10-20 games that look really pretty at high resolution (1440 or 4k) on medium hardware?

Witcher 3 is one of the prettiest/greatest games made and runs surprisingly well on all kinds of systems. 4K is tough even on very good systems though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Awesome! posted:

the steam configuration lets you dim and even turn off the led on a ds4

And turning off the led improves battery life by a lot

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

[*] Final Fantasy XII I played very briefly, but never made any major progress in. However, I feel like I never gave it a fair shot. The only thing I really remember from it was that there some dumb thing where to get one of the super-powerful endgame weapons, you had to make sure not to open certain chests scattered throughout the game (I remember reading Zodiac Age removed that). I also remember that the game has a secret super-boss that has like 15 million HP. I asked about it over in the RPG thread, and was warned away from it, but the descriptions here make it sound like the Zodiac version is worth checking out. One of the big draws of it for me was that it was directed by the same guy (Yasumi Matsuno) who worked on stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, and Vagrant Story, and that it tried for the same kind 'medieval-era wartime drama & political intrigue' type of plot, and that plot is still there, but it's bogged down by Square Enix mandating that they had to have a 'teenagers who want to be sky pirates' to appeal to Akihabara teens or something (might be mixing that up with Nier).

You mentioned Matsuno, so prepare for the wall of words. This is his peak for me and I love all those games you mention. But he burned out very near the end of this game and left the project: you can see that in the very final bits of the plot where it devolves a little into typical FF bad guy writing and boss fight, but that's at the very, very end of a huge and lengthy story. If you like the kind of usual big sweeping countries at war plot told by a common person story that Matsuno has done before, this is where it gets done at scale. He's never done anything like this since, I think that burn out was pretty terminal sadly.

The story is told from a teen, Vaan's perspective but he doesn't do the typical FF angsty teen much if at all - Penelo the other teen keeps him grounded when he does try to go in that direction. Some of the others in the party are more central to the plot and have far more consequential roles to play, so this is a very good thing - you're an observer along for the ride and your youth and inexperience lets you ask questions the others couldn't. It's great that while you're an observer to the fates of nations, you're along for far more individual reasons.

The world is huge and lovingly made, with a depth to it. The gambit system is polarizing, but I think it works very well in a game like this that has a lot of combat over a very long story. The game is crisply made, there's a lot of attention to detail in UI and experience.

There are many secrets and some secret bosses. The final secret boss was done by the team as an homage to Yasumi Matsuno (hence: Yiazmat, and the hunt is called "Farewell to a Legend"). I never fought it because it takes a couple hours supposedly, though I did all the other Elite Marks secret or not. The other long fights are nowhere near this extreme and I enjoyed them.

I've never played an MMO other than to try out ESO and that Star Wars one because of write ups in this thread about how non-MMOish they are. Both were OK to me and I bounced off them, because I didn't like the MMO aspects - this game did not feel like either. So I don't get the MMO comparisons or criticism - the gameplay systems work well together, including the gambit-based combat. It feels like any of his other games - very cohesive and everything works together.

If you like Matsuno's games in general, this is a must buy. It's not a typical FF game - it's very recognizably his creation just done at the scale of production of an AAAAA FF game.

E: I remember an interview with Matsuno who said that the story was significantly improved by making Vaan ("teen caught up in big things") the initial focus of the story instead of Basch ("silent hero with deep secrets") as originally planned. I like that part of the writing. So if that's holding you back - and why not, it's every FF game - don't worry about it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 1, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BrainWeasel did a masterful LP of FFXII in these very forums, accessible if you have archives: HIS 299L - Historical Revisionism and the Monomyth (FFXII-IZJS). Masterful because they know the game at a level not many do, both in content and in system mastery. I had no idea how much work had been put into figuring out how to manipulate the RNG in the game till that LP.

Pretty great if you've already played it or don't plan to play it but are curious.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Andrast posted:

Is there any source for this because this always gets thrown out when discussing FF12 but I haven't ever seen any source for it

You made me search for "matsuno vaan" and that opens a can of worms so big that I'm not even gonna summarize. This is a big topic on the internet.

One interesting tidbit worth sharing: Vagrant Story was the Matsuno game right before FFXII and it had the Basch-like protagonist - strong, mysterious, silent, as manly as it gets. It didn't do well commercially. There are unattributed quotes that this lack of commercial appeal influenced Matsuno's need to have Vaan in the next game to represent the player character directly. Dunno if that's true, but that was at least something interesting for the time spent.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

It's interesting to hear the takes on Vaan. I didn't identify myself with Vaan after the extended intro bits - say around when you get to Basch - because you could play as anyone and I was there more for the overarching storyline. So it didn't matter who was getting the development, I was there to see how it all worked itself out. I can totally get the other perspective though.

The very ending, final battle and right before it, is the weakest part of the game. Almost felt like it had been written by a different group of people who were rushed.

I was reading up on the change in TZA, lots of nice stuff in there. Will be good to play it again after all these years - played only the original, not IZJS. Game looks gorgeous on the PC with everything turned up. Sound is fantastic too. Agree on the aesthetic comment above - it's all very cohesive.

Is there a good cheat sheet to setting up the party for TZA? I don't want to spend days in analysis/paralysis over the new job system.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 1, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I have a i7-3770k with 8gb dd3 ram and a 1060. How different/improved would my gaming experience be with a new cpu (and new ram)?

I've got a 3770k as well, but with 16GB ram. I'm not planning to upgrade till the next gen of Ryzen desktop chips roll around later this year - Zen 3 / Ryzen 4xxx chips that are just coming out for laptops.

Looks like both of the next gen consoles will be using tweaked Zen 2 / Ryzen 3xxx chips with 8 cores/16 hyperthreads, so getting a 12- or 16-core Zen 3 cpu should hopefully last just as well as this 3770k has for the last console gen of games.

The 3770k is still doing just fine with 16GB of ram. Not many games are using the 4c cores that efficiently still. That will change once the next gen of consoles are 8c/16ht.

You should see if you can get another 8GB of ram though.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a fix to the Unity error that pops up on certain games if you have Citrix workspace installed?

Go into Device Manager and disable the "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" device.

You'll find way more involved suggestions if you Google, but that simple fix lets me play Unity games while Citrix continues to work.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

If you can get over the janky translation and enjoy the anime visual style, Troubleshooter is *excellent*. It has the JRPG issue of starting slow with training wheels on, but it's the first XCOM-like to hold my attention in a loooong time and has system-upon-system to an almost hilarious degree. In terms of mechanics, it's much closer to what I wanted from Phoenix Point than Phoenix Point managed to give. Sat on my wishlist for a long time until Austin Walker gave it a very nice selljob on Waypoint, noting it might not be everybody's thing, but if a crazy-layered XCOM where you're superpowered PMCs in an anime world appealed, it would very much be Your Thing.

And it is. Highly recommend.

Want to second this recommendation. Found out about the game from this thread and it's all I've been playing this last week.

The mash-up of XCom battle UI and cover mechanics with a somewhat FFT-style combat system that has speed as a statistic and multiple ways to change turn order is fantastic.

The game itself reminds me a lot of multiple Atlus games in writing, mechanics, art style, music ... lots of stuff. It also has its own unique additions to the mix, not just a shopping list of other great games.

Some of the scenes have a very cinematic feel and direction and not just in the sense of "has cutscenes" like ME, but in actual camera work and direction. For eg., there's a wonderful sequence right at the start where you get introduced to your char's recent history in one continuous pan across both the city and time. The initial battle in the beginning cuts to people running to back up the battle like some samurai movie made by a famous director.

The game has a lot in it and the anime isn't over the top, try it.

E: The tone of the main char is very optimistic, I like that. There's a mysterious setting to go with all of the above, much like classic Atlus games like SMT/DDS/Persona where you get to figure out what's happening.

Should also mention the actual UI and engine. This does not feel like a small studio game. The combat UI takes its influences and enhances it to be even better. In general, the game feels like it was lived in by the same people building it - there's a lot of effort put into usability. Necessary because there's so much going on.

Turn order manipulation also reminds me of the Atlus press turn system. I'm constantly looking at the turn list and trying to see how I can game it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 11, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Witcher 3 has a mod that gives you full control over attacks and camera: Disable SoftLock Targeting. Example vid from the mod page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ1959hkgMQ

Never used it, though I did use Enhanced Targeting to get better control with the vanilla system.

Ghost Mode tightens up all of the gameplay and makes the combat tight so that you don't get completely OP and have to pay attention without going all tryhard. It is one of the best mods I've played for any game, especially since it doesn't make the game into something else - it preserves vanilla feel while just, um, tightening everything.

I think the change I liked best was to the itemization and loot tables so that you no longer got completely random drops in every broken box like Dimeterium Plate from the first burnt hut I checked in one playthrough. Instead, the good gear drops from the chests at the end of major dungeons and quests. So you both no longer check every single container you come across and look forward to the containers at the end of major events. Gear has better progression and she added tools you can buy to level up gear if you want to stick with something you particularly like.

I did a full, all DLCs, do everything play through with it on B&B difficulty and it stayed a fun challenge all the way through.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Would you recommend any of these for a first playthrough? I tried to play once, but I bounced off the combat for reasons that are unclear to me now, I just remember it being frustrating and difficult to get right, maybe the timing? I'm considering giving it another go soon.

Mods are great when you know what you'd like to see different in a game. I always play for a bit before looking for mods.

I bounced off vanilla TW3 twice, 20+ hours in both times, because the combat became repetitive and boring pretty quickly, as you become OP by level 10 or so even in vanilla Death March. But that's not a negative to all players, so I'd hesitate to recommend a major overhaul like Ghost Mode to someone who hasn't figured out what they would like to see changed in the game.

On the flip side, Steam says I now have 330 hours in TW3 now so GM obviously got me to stay in the game.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Det_no posted:

Try an USB extension cord and see if that helps. Let the adapter sit as far away from the case as you can.

This. Also use USB 2.0 ports for Bluetooth / 2.4GHz wireless gear. Turns out USB 3 interferes at those frequencies. Intel published a short paper on this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

I bought a very cheap USB 2 hub with an extension cable built in to plug my BT adapter into and the controllers were much happier after that. The cable also let me place it where there was better line of sight from controller to the BT adapter.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

I don't know how to phrase this in a way that Google could help me, so maybe you can.

For the past month or two, my controller will randomly not get recognized when I boot a game. Turning my controller on and off does nothing to affect it, but restarting the game will. This has happened across multiple games (Remnant, Monster Hunter, Megaman Legacy Collection 1 and 2), so I'm guessing it's something on Steam end.

Any ideas on solutions I could try?

Try launching from Big Picture Mode if you haven't? I'm seeing similar issues with AC: Origins which is so finicky about sticking to either controller or keyboard but not both. BPM seems to fix it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As someone that loves AssCreed games, very much agreed. There's just so much in each game! I think the closest I came was 2 or brotherhood and even then, didn't 100 percent them.

2 and Brotherhood were my favorites of the original series but I never even wanted to try to 100% them because a lot of the collectathons were just that: naked collectathons with no added flavor.

The problem with Origins is that generally every ! has a decently interesting story and the combat is good enough to make doing the ?s interesting too. I don't care for cheevos so screw whatever they want me to do for those, but I can see myself continuing to vacuum the map of !s and ?s in Origins and having a fun time doing so.

So far anyway, I'm only level 23 or 24 yet.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

"problem"

I'm level 40 and there's still like 5 more regions of the map to explore and I couldn't care less about the main plot but almost all of the side plots have been great. Helping an old fist fighter get recruited by a brothel? Helping a lady hunt poachers? Being a medjay is really good, satisfying work that leads you all over the (gorgeous) map.

e: Mind you Bayek is great. He conquers almost every scene and is just a great character to watch. I just wish he were in a different game, one with a main plot that was more his speed.

Yeah, agree with all of that. To keep the main quest relevant and engaging, I'm trying to do a bunch of them together and then go off to explore and do 2-3 zones of !?s before checking back in with the main quest again.

Game is so good. The upgrade to the combat combined with the W3 style side quests and the immense, lovingly created world is all just so compelling. I was running through the wetlands yesterday and there's so much detail in how everyday life is depicted - even when it's not shown to you through some cool side quest.

Came up on a large camp yesterday and found a tunnel entrance to it. Turns out it comes up through what used to be their well. "Used to be" because they've been dumping dead bodies into it and the remains at the bottom and the streaks on the walls show this. Very cool details.

E: I prefer using a controller for this game even though playing on PC. Turning on gyro aiming via Steam has made the bow combat so much more fluid. I kinda regret buying the Microsoft Elite 2 because it lacks a gyro though it feels so great in hand. Went back to the DS4 for this game just to have gyro aiming.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 26, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I sometimes read people comparing Horizon Zero Dawn's collectibles to OG Assassin's Creed ("generic open world collectible game") and it totally misses the mark. Each collectible in HZD comes with a story or snippet that adds character to the world and in some cases throws up interesting backstory or tantalizing hints of what else could be lurking out there in the world. There're no rewards to collecting them other than reading them, which is cool too.

Of all the possible HZD sequel riffs and speculation I've seen, the most plausible is of something that is only mentioned in two collectibles.

Origins ditching all of that OG AC collectible stuff was such a huge upgrade.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

replacing it with levels n' loot sucks on its own merits unfortunately

What do you mean by "replacing it with levels"? As in pre-assigned levels to the zones?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, can agree with that. It's hard to balance the game when there's so much delicious side content that levels you up, so that's their attempt I guess.

Having side quests not give you experience/level you up but instead reward you with gear/useful loot is another way of tackling the problem. But itemization isn't Origins' strength I think. Gear has interesting effects but I've been holding onto the same Gold Dual Swords/Purple Blunt/Gold Shield for the last 10-15 levels. Not complaining: they're fun to use and their effects lead to very different styles of play.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Interesting. So far I have found that most games with some controller support (presumably for Xbox controllers) work pretty well for the Dualshock, but the sensitivity is sometimes off and things like the gyroscope are mapped wrong. Glad Steam makes it work at all, though.

At one point I had an Xbox 360 controller, before it developed a case of exploded batteries. I think the main thing the DS4 has over an Xbox controller is the touchpad that you can use as a mouse, and while that would be terrific for a few games where you really need a cursor sometimes, it's not that useful in general.

Steam makes the DS4 look like a generic controller, just one with more inputs (touchpad can be a mouse plus 4 buttons, gyro is awesome for aiming). There's a lot you can do with the Steam controller software, worth digging into. I used DS4Windows very rarely now - mainly for Cemu to play BotW with gyro aiming.

Be sure to plug the BT adapter, if you're using one, into a USB 2 port with line of sight to the controller if possible. USB 3 ports cause wireless interference that may or may not be very bad depending. I used a cheap old USB 2 hub to put the controller into and out the hub under the table where it can't be seen.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seeing this thread finally understand why I refuse to rent games and I want to own them warms my heart.

Likewise when I decided I wanted to play either ME 1 or 2 yesterday and realized that I had bought them physical and no longer had access to them. Lock into online service or not, it's great to have forever access to your games as long as the service stays up.

Apparently I grabbed ME 2 on an Origin giveaway, because it's one of the 4 games I own on that service. Using mods to run the game at 3440x1440 and it's interesting how it compares to memory. The dialog and story are far better than in memory, but my opinion had soured on Bioware over the years after DA2. The facial animations are both good and bad with something about the lips going into uncanny valley territory that is on the disturbing end.

Biggest difference is that I'm playing on hardcore and so far stripping defenses hasn't felt boring - I remembered slowly stripping shield/armor and everything feeling spongey. But this Vanguard start has been quite fun, maybe it's the more aggressive playstyle.

Biggest problem is that the mods/Flawless Widescreen working together to get this to work at 3440x1440 cannot do anything to fix the galaxy map and that may stop me from playing much further. Everything else works well so far in ultrawide, including UI and HUD.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's kind of amazing how much Vanguard is a fresh break in those games given that so many classes and encounters were built around the idea you'd play it like a stock, probably crappy third person cover shooter and then one class has a "get behind the enemy and begin shoving your fist through heads" button that barely has to slow down once you get a rhythm.

Yeah. Vanguard also motivates moving around to line up charges, ducking into cover as needed or after a charge. Whereas my memory is of playing it safe by attacking at distance until screen turns red and then dropping back into cover to regen health.

Watched a quick video of someone's Vanguard tutorial when deciding what class to pick based on a random internet comment of "you're playing Vanguard wrong, look up a video." Turned out to be useful.

I can't remember ME 1 combat other than it being slow and more long distance? I loved the story in that game. Maybe it'll go on sale on Steam.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 5, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gromit posted:

Just in case anyone else gets a window with "Oops! The game crashed" written on it, I needed to uninstall the Citrix Workspaces application and now it works fine (and another game that exhibited exactly the same behaviour). Very weird, but thank you web person Domdor on a Blizzard forum from September last year who solved it for me.

While that does work there's a Steam thread with a more specific suggestion that lets me keep using Citrix for work while playing games it clashes with: disable the Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator device.

Windows + X, select "Device Manager", open the "System devices" list, right click "Citrix Virtual Bus Enumerator" and select "Disable device." Like so:

I've been using this for almost a year and Citrix continues to work while not preventing games from starting.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Logan 5 posted:

I too enjoy living in a fantasy world of my own desiresBoletaria.

I hope they didn't muck with the soundtrack or the English VO cast, both are different and brilliant. That initial zombie is forever cued to the game's music and so seeing it without filled me with more dread than the thought of Maneater.

I bought a PS3 for Demon's Souls and a PS4 for Horizon Zero Dawn, so I guess a PS5 is definitely happening.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

working for me, handles ds4 out of the box and it encourages a controller. they're asking for bug reports in the community discussion

on the settings i recommend:
Game -> Equipped Persona Memory -> Off (You'll end up with a main persona and situational ones, you don't want to start a fight after using a situational weak with weaknesses and get one-shotted)
Game -> Anime Subtitles -> On (I have no idea why they're off by default)
Display -> Screen Mode -> Borderless (Resolution maxes at 1920x1080, unless you're borderless then it'll scale regardless. if you go windowed you can manually resize the window though)

Graphics has a Rendering Scale option, no idea how good/bad it looks but they default it to 200% - which is as high as it goes

there's networking in-game for help in dungeons so we'll see how that works

I'd also suggest enabling VSync (which is the default) as you get stuttering and tearing in cutscenes without it. Turning VSync on picked the monitor's max refresh rate, 144Hz, not 30 or 60Hz as I'd expected for a PS2 game.

Game performs very well on a recent system. Runs at a solid locked 144fps at 1440p with everything turned up. With Rendering Scale at 200%, it looks very good too other than some of the older textures still in place. Hopefully someone does some AI-upscaled textures for those soon.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Honestly texture quality really surprised me. There's some that look a little rough, but there's a surprising amount of detail going on in an upscaled ps2 game. If 3 ever makes it it's going to look very rough in comparison (although maybe it'd look okay because it's quite a bit simpler/cleaner).

Yeah, it's very good on the whole. There's the occasional low res texture that'll stand out more only because it's in the foreground. Doesn't bother me at all, was only pointing it out as a target for the inevitable mods.

Game looks and runs really well. I suspect it scales well to lower spec systems too.

Hope they release 3 FES ... and DDS, Nocturne, other SMTs, both the P2 games, everything.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Either way I've greatly enjoyed both and I'm looking forward to putting a lot of hours into Witcher 3!

Another difference between the two games: W3 has a ton of mods that range from bug fixes to QoL tweaks to large overhauls unlike AC:O. If you like modding your games, def check out the W3 nexus.

QoL/UI mods like Friendly Hud can be cool if you're planning to put a lot of hours in. None of the mods are necessary of course, game is great enough as is.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Is Grim Dawn not that well regarded? I put in a couple of hours a few weeks ago before setting it aside because I had other games to play and thought it very good and engaging, but I haven't played an ARPG in years and years.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

repiv posted:

I'm also mad that Microsoft didn't put a gyro in the Series X controller so gyro aiming is going to be neglected in cross-platform games for yet another generation.

It's so good on the Switch but you almost never see it on the PS4 despite it also having a gyro, presumably because devs want parity with the Xbox version.

edit: no gyro on the xbox means no native gyro support in windows either, because the modern windows gamepad api assumes everything is an xbox pad or clone of one

Same here. I bought an Xbox Elite 2 and while it feels great in hand, the lack of gyro often makes me go back to the DS4 in PC games where gyro aiming makes an improvement - which is any game with aiming really. Regret buying it now, though the buggy software doesn't help either.

Steam's ability to add gyro aiming to any game is a huge feature. BotW/Warframe on the Switch showed me how good gyro aiming can be and I now use Steam to add it to every PC game where it makes sense to run a controller.

The back buttons on the DS4 and Xbox Elite are great, but wish they were exposed as real buttons so Steam can remap them like any other button. Windows needs to add better handling for controllers and not just treat everything as the lowest common denominator.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 21, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ihatepants posted:

I use this software to remap the back paddles on my Elite 2 controller to other things like keyboard combos and such. Or for games like FFXIV, I use it to turn them into modifier keys like Alt, Shift or Ctrl then press a face button (so it's like having another multiple sets of LT/RT commands for them).

https://www.rewasd.com/

This looks very cool, thanks for the pointer!

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Thought I'd drop a review of the Swiftpoint Z mouse since its price seems to have dropped to $125 on Amazon. I've used one since the December sale and it's both the ugliest and most comfortable mouse I've used. The ugly flat left/right buttons are in reality very comfortable for your fingers to rest on with the wings on the sides for the thumb and ring finger also adding to the comfort. It feels good in my hand.

The extra buttons - there are a lot! - are very usable as they've been very thoughtfully placed. There are only two thumb buttons which I find easier to control than having 6 or more. The two extra buttons near the index finger are easy to reach. There are 3 extra buttons for each of the left/right mouse buttons, one halfway up the main button and then a combo button that you can pull as a trigger and also button press with your top finger joint.

It has other inputs I don't use so far: 4 of the buttons allow for deep click actions with a configurable force. There are also actions assignable to tilting the mouse. It can supposedly act as a full joystick.

Comfortable or not, there's no point in getting one unless you plan to program it for games which is where its real strength lies. Here's an example from this weekend where I set up a new config for the Witcher 3 (trying out the W3EE mod):

This leaves most buttons as they are but remaps the top thumb button, the 2 edge buttons by the left mouse button, and the 3 extra buttons on each mouse finger. Draw steel/silver sword goes onto the 2 edge buttons while the 5 Witcher signs (Aard, etc) are distributed across the extra finger buttons. I sometimes fumble-finger the number row so they're nice to have on the mouse.

The top thumb button shifts the entire mouse to a new profile as long as it is kept pressed:

Now the edge buttons enable/disable parts of Friendly HUD and the finger buttons are used for inventory, journal, map, meditation, etc. All are harder to reach keys on the right side of the keyboard. There's quite a bit you can do when programming it, including loops and key repeats.

This is still very expensive for a mouse at $125. That high price is partly from a bunch of features that people may never use - the deep click feels a bit difficult to control to me, likewise for the tilt feature, and there's an OLED screen on the side of it that's only useful for debugging deep clicks in my experience.

That said it's extremely comfortable to use and though it has a large number of buttons they're all thoughtfully placed. It offers a lot of programmability if you like that sort of thing, though the interface isn't the simplest. What would be great would be a slimmed down version that took away some of the extra features and dropped the price. In the meantime, this is still a very good, if expensive, gaming mouse.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jamfrost posted:

Do we have a Games in general Discord server? I joined some other ones.

Edit: I'll even volunteer to make one.

There's an SA-formed, but unaffiliated, gaming discord which is modded by goons and is pretty much the only place I'll go for gaming chat: https://discord.gg/33dyUyv

It's open to non-goons now but is predominantly goons.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

There's a Gaming section in the main SA Discord with a bunch of different channels; I floated the idea of making... well basically this thread as a Discord once and I got pointed to that one so I dropped it, but it's not quite the same tbh.

Man, this sucks. :(

Pretty sure that discord would be happy to create a Steam-specific channel. They're pretty flexible, so ask them. I got into it for Warframe on Switch and it was great to have a channel full of the same goons that were building the goon clan.

The one I posted at the bottom of last page I mean.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hope that's not an actual spoiler of note, since I'm sure many like me haven't played it yet and are looking forward to discovering things in this game of exploration and discovery.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Warbird posted:

I’ve been mulling over getting one of those fancy XBox pro or whatever controllers to use with the desktop since the old 360 pad has been moved to the stream link by the couch (Personer Gold, yo). Does anyone here use one or should I just spring for a DualShock 4? I have one already and am happy enough with it, but it’s dedicated to use with a raspberry pi emulation thingy.

If you mean the XBox Wireless Elite 2, it's a very good controller in the hand but I don't think it quite justifies the $180 price tag. It's the XBox controller with a lot of added detail in terms of how it feels in the hand - where it succeeds remarkably well, better than anything else I've used. The rubber grips are very well done. It's compact and well-balanced in the hand. A lot of attention to the details in the design.

The extras are nice: the ability to tweak trigger depth, customizable sticks and d-pad, 4 back grip buttons. It supports USB C / PD charging, yay, and comes a very nicely made case and charging stand.

On the negative side: It lacks a gyro which was a rude surprise and forces me back to the DS4 for quite a few games where gyro aiming is useful. The software it comes with isn't great and has had a buggy interaction almost every time I've tried to use it - but you don't have to run it and can use the Steam controller software to control it.

Does all that add up to $180 of controller? That's going to come down to what all the extra bits are worth to you - the controller itself is very well designed and great to play games with.

E: I have a single 60W USB C/PD charging cable available at my desk for all the various gadgets to use, so after selecting the sticks and dpad I wanted all of the extras that controller came with aren't being used. Even then I'd be happy enough if only it had a gyro for motion control.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 27, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Biggest adjustment for me from Souls games to Fallen Order is that enemies can do a lot of animation morphing in the middle of an attack to turn and hit you. The Souls games and even the Witcher 3 get you used to position being important and that you can just walk around an opponent's attack once you can predict their behaviour.

Oggdo Boggdo teaches you early not to do this in Fallen Order. :downs:

Not a criticism of the game, it wants you to dodge very late. Dodging an opponent's attack early means they will morph their animation and hit you even though you weren't in the attack's initial path.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 29, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Jedi Fallen Order's asking you to dodge late in the animation makes it harder to punish a big damage, well telegraphed move than if you could position out of it like in the Souls games. It also doesn't let you build up that comforting rhythm against well understood enemies - which is probably what they were trying to avoid in Fallen Order, fair enough. The combat feels a lot looser than a Souls game because of this, but it's still fun and its own thing.

Oggdo Boggdo on Hard was a big roadblock for me, but that's a completely optional miniboss deliberately stuck into a small space to make the fight even more challenging. That fight felt a little easier when I first encountered it than when I understood Oggdo's moveset: dodging late on reaction was more successful than when I could predict its attacks and tried to walk around the attack or dodge early, before the dodge late idea got through to me.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 29, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Some Distant Memory is a lovely little walking sim of a game. The visuals are pretty, the characters are well written, the story develops very well and the ending brings it all together well. Felt the perfect length for a single sitting at 2.5-3 hours, it didn't waste any of that time. It's 45% off and a great buy if you want this type of game. I enjoyed it so much I had to leave a first Steam review.

Played through Firewatch in a single 4 hour sitting yesterday and that was very enjoyable too, though I liked SDM much more. Can't go wrong at $4.99 in the current sale for this one either.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

ZearothK posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Subnautica and Rain World are my favorite explorey games, I didn't really get the same sense of exploration from like Witcher 3 or nuAssassin's Creed or Far Cries. Yeah, I should try out Outer Wilds, I guess.

nu-STALKER is especially good for exploration after Call of Chernobyl took all the games and the leaked engine source and stitched them all together into one huge and cohesive map with engine improvements. I did a Call of Chernobyl run where I started in the Southern maps (Cordon) and gradually worked my way up to the heart of the Zone in the North and it was a blast. No quests, just sight seeing and getting better gear and tougher opponents as I worked my way North. You're right in that it's as pure an open world as you can get.

Anomaly is the most recent in that lineage and it'd be fun to do that run again with all the recent improvements, but I'm afraid of losing another 2-3 gaming years to STALKER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ragequit posted:

Posts like this are troubling. I have some great new games I need to play, but Witcher 3 has been calling my name again (I already 100% the game and DLC) since the Netflix series hit. My broken as hell brain tells me "You have a nice new video card and CPU now. Just give it a quick launch and see how it looks. Just fire up New Game + for a minute. It'll be quick I promise..."

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. 100%ed TW3 & DLC 3 years ago with Ghost Mode and am now in the midst of setting it up all over again with W3EE. My broke brain logic is that I promised myself I would play it again when I upgraded to a 21:9 monitor even though it makes no sense to take a break from AC Origins with TW3 of all games. Especially when I have all these other games to play. I should be playing Outward if I want this style of game anyway.

Speaking of, Outward DLC write up by their CEO: https://blog.playstation.com/2020/07/02/looking-inward-on-outwards-the-soroboreans-dlc/