Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

atholbrose posted:

For those who might be interested, there's a demo for the English version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 up on Steam.

I guess people shouldn't sit on this, since uh, they're taking the demo down in a month? What a pointless thing to do. I don't understand the reasoning behind time limited demos like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Kennel posted:

But what about... :can:

(Actually yeah, feels bit icky. Doesn't help that the term "partisan" is here strongly associated with kill squads murdering civilians in remote areas)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEHsHJ9a4p8
Obviously can't judge the whole game on one video but it does show more than the Steam page's video, and I'm happy to say it looks like murdering Nazi soldiers, Commandos style. Looks pretty fun, too.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

I think it would be totally possible to enjoy the atmosphere, writing and general vibe of Alyx in non-VR even if the gameplay and immersion suffer greatly. I dunno if that's much better than just watching it but I'll take what I can get

I think it would be totally impossible. You don't get any sense of scale or place from screenshots or video of Alyx. You wouldn't get anything resembling the same experience of being in a room and just looking around yourself in VR on a monitor. It's not translatable. The immersion and feeling of being somewhere is a huge part of what makes it all gel together for me.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It's strictly true, in that it conveys a full 3D picture instead of a 2D one on a flat screen. That doesn't really do anything for me other than improve depth perception (which is super handy for War Thunder or any other flight sims) and that's it. The pure visual side of it is like 3D movies but better in every way, as a super reductive comparison.

I still really dig using my hands 1-to-1, unlike the motion controller fad. Alyx seems to do that really drat well, so I'm excited to play it.

Having 6 dof head movement does huge things for me, it's like a switch in my brain that gives me sensations I just don't feel while playing a 2d game vs vr without 6dof head tracking, which does nothing really for me. It's fine if people don't care for it or whatever, but to say it's not a valid experience is a joke.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

My only issue with the New Hitman and Hitman 2 is that your progress is tied to always online DRM for some reason. My ISP service isn't as bad as it used to be but that kind of thing still hurts me to see in a single player game. It's still almost miraculous feeling to me that we got not one, but two amazing new Hitman games that are good enough to be held up to Blood Money, so even if I don't like that aspect specifically I can't deny that they're well worth getting. Gonna get the next one too even if it still keeps that annoying junk up.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

MonkeyforaHead posted:

As a final note, if you unbind the voice chat key and type "voice_enable 0" in the console you can disable voice chat entirely. You can still use the character barks for basic communication. Much as I enjoy the game, that's made the last few years much more tolerable.

Unrelatedly, did anyone ever play Saints Row 3 Remastered and have impressions? I only just remembered that it came out but nobody seems to bring it up.

It's languishing on the Epic store so I think most people are biding their time on it.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

This sounded interesting and here's where it seems to be:

https://www.offline-tarkov.com/index.html

Oh my, never knew this was a thing. That's so much more what I'm into than the online mode of real Tarkov.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Insert name here posted:

:same: I love Tarkov but I find getting wrecked by real people way too stressful so this sounds perfect for me
I got it working, it doesn't seem too buggy or anything yet. Man, I hope people can mod Stalker 2 to have an inventory system like Tarkov's. I love magazine management and having to inspect items and search backpacks and vests and it'd be so scary to worry about a bloodsucker getting you while you're picking through someone's bandolier of tourist delight tins. Wouldn't be able to put down a game like that.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

repiv posted:

Diabotical goes into open beta soon, if anything gets arena FPS going again it will probably be that. It's more or less Quake 3 but with modern amenities like matchmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1RZ55ZrXH4

It's gonna have to be real good to get over the Epic Store barrier. Online only games cutting themselves off from Steam feels like a huge gamble if you can't get a critical mass of sustainable players.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

It's going to be Epic exclusive??! Fuuuuuck Quake Champions is dead and I need this injected straight into my veins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD3d1kOhFt4

Yeah it sounds like they bought it out after it got kickstarted and they had to give refunds to anyone not ok with the switchover. Classic Epic...

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

D1E posted:

FREE STEAM KEY FOR GENERATION ZERO - Be the first person to quote this post and I will PM you the key.

E: way too slow!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Lightningproof posted:

Looks like MGS 1 + 2 (and MG 1) are headed to a digital distribution network near you.

Bad news is it looks like literally just the old busted ports from the early 2000s repackaged.

Aw, those old ports are not really exciting at all. What a shame.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Orv posted:

It's definitely a me problem, I've seen the ridiculous stuff people who are silly good at the game can pull off but to me the combat kinda boils down to a handful of attacks per weapon, you do them fifty times to kill a monster, I always flare out on interest around low HR the three times I've tried it. :shrug:

I feel you tbh. I get bored whacking on monsters so long to kill them, it's just adhd or something idk. I 100% get why people enjoy it, just not for me?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

buglord posted:

:siren: silverelias :siren: if you're still reading this thread, im pretty sure your steam account got hijacked because im getting some messages from "you" about voting for a team and I hear that's becoming a common steam scam.

stay safe goon!

Yeah, they messaged me yesterday too. Definitely fits the bill.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

So in the past I always used to get emails that an item on my wishlist went on sale but I never received any emails when this Black Friday Steam Sale happened - is that intentional?

Not intentional, I got mine a few hours after the sale started.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Is something hosed with the webhelper? It has now ballooned to a gig on multiple occasions.

Idk if this is related because I haven't played a steam game in a while, but this coincided with me buying an EA game that requires Origin being on in the background.

I've been getting it ever since the Steam chat rework I think it was, been noticing it for months. The longer I have steam open the worse it gets. Annoying because after a few days I have to restart Steam for the chat to be functional again.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol a day probe.

Longer than that requires an admin's approval IIRC, so there may be more coming.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I'd say it's more than that but, well, libertarian: https://web.archive.org/web/2021061...wwdr/?context=3

due to the meltdown people have been digging through his reddit post history(Kovarex) and boy his takes on statutory rape and teachers grooming students may surprise you!

https://twitter.com/factoriogame/status/1406038185424134144

lol this piece of poo poo.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Right after I picked up Cruelty Squad they did a collab with the transphobic nazis who make Brigador and that took all the wind out of my sails for getting into the game.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Fuligin posted:

well, poo poo. still mega-bummed about how brig worked out

I was unbelievably disappointed when they announced their nazi brother was being quietly let back onto the sequel and then they permabanned me and a lot of other people from their reddit for not liking this information.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

v1ld posted:

The original Demons Souls soundtrack is less swelling orchestral themes than the games that followed which may or may not be a selling point depending on taste - I love it. The voice acting often used slightly weird phrasing and accents which combined with the very minimal use of voices and even NPCs to add to the overall weird tone of the worlds in that game. It wasn't striving for the overall consistency and continuous maps of the DS games so it could do whatever it wanted, felt like.

The remake really butchered the tone and feel of all the music in my opinion, extremely disappointing that someone decided their take was going to be better than the original work.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I'd be more bothered about it if the original Demon's Souls didn't emulate fine at least, it performed and looked better than I remember the ps3 version being when I tried it in RPCS3, although you won't get a thriving online playerbase of course, it's good that the game is so well preserved otherwise.

To be a little more Steam related, how was that Nier 1 release? I got decently far into that one on RPCS3 too, but I almost feel like starting over cause I dropped it for too long, and there wasn't an official rerelease yet.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Hey, remember Supreme Commander?

The Spring engine has been doing a lot of stuff but never quite to my liking.

And well. Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMLQmsTmYFA

Apparently it's coming to Steam in '22

Oh that's really cool, they got the pathfinding to work multithreaded. It's been forever since I've played any Spring, so it's awesome to hear that they're able to get big improvements made in it like that still. I used to play against people with a pentium 4, on dial-up, and whew. I'm sure it's night and day compared to now. I hope it still has online players, maybe I'll check it out.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I didn't like the writing or story of HW2 very much at all compared to the first or Cataclysm and the third saying it's basing itself right after 2 puts a big damper on my expectations personally.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Whaaaat, I love Thou, wow. Looks cool as poo poo.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

You can customize what options show up in the systray right-click menu in Steam settings (not at my PC atm but I think in the interface section). You can remove things you don't use and I have had screenshots there for so long I didn't realize it wasn't default until I read this post.

E: yes, interface then "set taskbar preferences"

I would have never found this on my own despite it sounding very handy, thanks a ton!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Gun shooting gameplay has consistently felt like Arkane's weakest area in their games for me and Redfall looks super in line with that for me so I really don't see myself ever picking it up unfortunately. Pretty much like the exact opposite of what I'd want to see from Arkane!

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Mescal posted:

noita is a cool idea. i don't think that the 1983 character controls and understanding wtf the spell thingies do should be the challenge that i'm supposed to struggling with in a game.

What's the problem with the controls? Unless you've been playing on a gamepad, I dunno how people can handle that tbh.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

gently caress, phone posting screwed me up.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

So streaming through Steam doesn't seem to be working for me.

It worked about five minutes for me, then froze, and on refreshing the option to even watch the stream never came back. Had to use a web browser, but even then it's been flaky.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I didn't like how as I got farther into Elden Ring, the bosses and tougher enemies would do more input reading reaction moves, where like I hit the roll button once and they immediately, on the frame, stop whatever they were doing and go into a big input reading gigacombo on me over it. Once I realized it was happening it kind of took me out of the experience some, and I'm not usually a souls game difficulty complainer.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Stux posted:

the game doesnt read inputs. absoltue 1000% pure cope.

??? Sure it does. Even some regular enemies do.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

??? Sure it does. Even some regular enemies do.

I remember a really silly example being those lion guardians in redmane castle doing a dramatic dodge jump if you fire your bow, even if they're really far away, not aggroed or aware of you, and you don't even have to be shooting at them, but every time you hit the bumper, like puppets on a string, they lurch every time lol.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Stux posted:

wheni instantly respond to the enemies animation tell, even when it is slight and extremely early, that s simply me being good at the game. when the ai can also do it and i refuse to adapt to this, its cheating and input reading.

You're taking it a lot harder than I did lol, I beat and enjoyed the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Squiggly Beast posted:

(*: In Archolos, any permanent bonus stats/lp are stored separately and added after all calculations. So you can chug permanent stat/skill potions and eat foodstuffs that give bonuses without having to worry about permanently loving up your character. Still have to focus your build as costs do scale up rapidly, but that single change removes stupid logistical headaches like having to sit on huge piles of apples, dark mushrooms etc. until lategame to avoid wasting most of their bonus value.)

Ooh that's extremely cool to know, I'm only a few hours in so far and I figured I had to hoard everything like usual. I've been pretty impressed so far, I think anyone who's a fan of G1 and 2 is gonna have fun.