Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So why are the balance changes and improvements made by the lead gameplay designer in a mod as opposed to, in the game by default (or at least in a patch)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Azran posted:

I really like short, replayable games like Into the Breach, Dungeon of the Endless, FTL or Invisible Inc where you unlock more characters/equipment as you go on, but I haven't had much fun with traditional roguelikes (mostly because most of them have kinda ugly UIs and that's a major bummer for me). Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Any ideas?

Slay the spire. Also, for people who already have it, the 4th character was added recently.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

poo poo I didn't know there was even a THIRD! character

Does that mean you haven't defeated the 4th boss either? Gotta get on that!

Some people seem excited Spellforce 3 is on sale, how is it?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance will be free on EGS from 2/13 - 2/20.

I just tried it on gamepass and free seems about the price it's worth. I gave up after like 2 hours, so maybe it gets better, but it felt like if Crusader Kings 1 and Skyrim had a baby. It's so janky and overly detailed, yet the sheer level of detail probably appeals to some people who'd get really into it. For example, you need to eat and different types of food have different values, but if you eat too much you get over-full and have penalties which might seem realistic but unlike eating IRL you have no feeling of fullness (or a fullness stat ingame) to tell you when you have eaten enough. There's also a perk which gives you extra bonuses if you've eaten the correct amount for several days in a row. If you carry food for too long it rots. Oh, and you can get dirty too and wash to different degrees in anything from a pond to a bath, and your level of cleanliness affects how people react to you OR you can take the manly odour perk which gives you a charisma bonus to ladies when you haven't washed.

Also you can punch a horse to death (horses have glass jaws apparently) in the middle of a village and no one will bat an eye.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Has anyone played Crying Suns? I played through the demo and I have no idea why after a few shots enemy battleships become immune to my weapons and have to be finished off with smaller ships.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is this Terminator game ...good?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/954740/Terminator_Resistance/
93% positive reviews but the trailer, screenshots, and even the description on the store page are so :effort: that it seems like it should be awful. But it's so well reviewed! Anyone tried it? They even have a featured Youtube review that gives it a 4/10 Bad review. Why would they put that there? E: oh that might be an Augmented steam thing.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 9, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm guessing I'm about 50-75% through Disco elysium and I have strangely mixed feelings about it. While playing I am mostly sucked in by the writing and amount of thought put into the story and setting, but when not playing I don't really want to start it up again because of how drawn out and annoying the gameplay can be. Running all over the map with no fast travel is dull but at least they seem to have patched in "click and hold" to run in a direction rather than having to clickclickclickclick all the time. The pacing feels very up and down as I run out of stuff to do or get stuck.

For example, I was stuck for a while because I would die from a double morale hit every time I talked to the union boss for the first time when he spoke about my missing gun, but I was trapped in that area until I did. After far too long I found the numbers above my HP/moral bars were actually showing how many "health kits" I had for each and could be clicked to use them even during conversations. The game had never highlighted this and I only found it out because I gave up and looked up a guide on how to get out of the area. Speaking of unmentioned UI stuff, the game also never pointed out the Thought cabinet screen either, I only went looking and found it after seeing people talk about it here

The first day seemed full of things to do, but the 2nd was almost devoid of activities because Kim was off delivering the body and it turned out I needed him for most of the stuff I could do, so I ended up buying several books and just advancing time for most of the day. On the third day a new area opens up and there was a ton of stuff to do again, but now I'm on the 4th day and everything has come to a halt again because I've done everything except convince the Hardie boys to talk via a high level Rhetoric check. The problem is my Rhetoric sucks but I don't have much to do to level up anymore and the plot won't advance until I can. It's possible I might be able to level up or unlock helpful bonuses if I could pass some more of the white skill checks which your map screen helpfully has a list of, however despite it being a map screen it doesn't actually show the location of these checks and I have forgotten where many of them are. Even some of the ones I remember the location of seem buggy because the skill check doesn't appear, e.g. the map wall in the book store shows an Interface check but I am fairly sure that was to steal the map and either I did that or I bought it because nothing shows when I go there and I do have the map already.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Why in the name of Gabe's knife collection does steam uninstall every loving game in the default library when you uninstall the client? What the gently caress? I just want to reinstall the client because it started crashing:

(I ended it via task manager since as you can see the cancel button is greyed out)

E: I just moved the common folder out of the steam folder to keep all my games, it's really stupid it's neither an option or pops a warning before just starting to delete everything. Jesus.

E2: Still crashing after a reinstall. The problem is steam suddenly forgot my password and when I try to type in the password box it freezes :(

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 11, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Heads up, serial abuser Alexis Kennedy is trying to rehab his image and claim that his victims had an agenda. He's floating around doing a kickstarter again, too. Be extremely careful around him, he's one hell of a liar.

He goes on about a competitor smearing him, whose that meant to be? I thought most of the people he abused either worked for him or had now left the industry.

Samuringa posted:

Steam is DRM, why wouldn't it remove the games.

Because when the client fucks up and you have to reinstall it you shouldn't have to re-download 500gb of games like in my example? Because the DRM is still there and you can't launch the DRMed games anyway. And because it only removes the default library so it's not like it's an effective way to either remove games you're "not allowed" to play anymore or free up diskspace.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I was tempted to try The Division 2 for $3, but for whatever reason Ubisoft price it at 100SEK, which is about $10.40, here. I mean, it's still cheap, but it sucks it's over 3 times more expensive and that puts it outside the "eh, why not?" range.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

If you set the game to "only update when I launch the game" and then go offline with the Steam Client before you start the game, it'll never update. There doesn't seem to be a way to just tell the client not to do it, though.

Some games can be run directly from their exe without using steam. You can even copy the install folder out of your steam libary to be extra safe. Other games have older versions in the beta tab which you can opt into. Other than that though, steam will always check for updates when you launch a game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Going from personal experience, they care very much and express it by vigorous pecking. In a chicken's mind, it is still a very tiny dinosaur.

They are correct.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwy4X4F3mB4

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

All of these fun and interesting games and I keep playing Farming Simulator 2019. I don't quite understand why I keep coming back to it but I gotta admit it is pretty fun and satisfying building up a farming empire. I also now know lots of useless information that I will never need to know in my life like what a windrower is.

How much does it explain what you need to be doing for non-farmers? I played some '17 and while it was pretty hilarious in MP due to it's janky physics (I can't really describe how funny it is to be workmanly delivering grain to a silo by sedately driving down a sheer cliff while on voice coms), it assumed we all knew exactly which farming tools we should be using for a given task, which could not have been further from the truth.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

zedprime posted:

12 year old me: what excuse can I use to get out of cutting the grass this week?
30 year old me: if I cut these video game trees down and plant grass there I can get two more passes which means 4 more video game bales of silage

The Simpsons was really ahead of its time:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Adhibhautika posted:

Yeah here, have some of mine as well :

The Surge: *RK0I-QWPAD-BTEBG
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter A6234-L83XX-*0G3E

* = Four

Both of these have been taken :/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Looks like it would be a nice title to play in VR too, if they support that.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

RE2make is the new quintessential zombie game, like the one game that fully encompasses the themes, challenges, and stresses of zombies as an adversarial force. Unless RE3make somehow eclipses it I think it's going to be looked back on as a major peak of the genre. From your list I feel like the only other games that come close are the original Dead Rising and L4D2, but they take the themes in different directions for humor or action in my mind.

Wait, RE2make isn't all about fighting tank controls and collecting rooster keys + inventory tetris?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I finally got around to playing Grim Dawn this week. I rolled a Necromancer and I can summon 8 skellytons and a plague monster, so I just stroll through areas and pick up the loot while my undead horde lays waste to all the monsters.

E: How does the D3 Necro compare? Can you also have a horde of pets? What I'd really like, if not focused on pets, is to play as a WoW Death Knight without having to play WoW.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 25, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Here's the thing that really gets me though, some of the gotcha stuff really ain't. For example, prisons: if you don't have them, the only thing you can do is execution by sending them into the frozen wilderness. So instead, you keep them in a warm building for perpetuity. You want to release people from prison? You make them swear loyalty. Which also means that they become informants for your regime. Also, serving soup is looked down upon, because people in the frozen hellscape are gourmets I guess.

This isn't entirely correct, if you don't have prisons you can choose to do nothing rather than banish them. And people reform after about 3 days locked up, you don't keep them forever - the loyalty pledge and informants are unlocked/made options by signing laws of the same name.

I've only played through Frostpunk twice, once when it was first released and then again last week, and I won both runs pretty easily on the default settings. The more recent run I also saved everyone and only one person even got frostbite until the very final -150 night. What I don't like is the game still tells me I've gone too far because I built a prison (which is great at reforming criminals!) and a propaganda centre to spread hopeful news in the loving Apocalypse and convince the idiot Londoners not to go die in the snow. "Was it worth it?" Yeah, Frostpunk devs, it was, piss off.

I also think their scripted events are fairly poorly done, for example the first big one wipes out almost all your Hope rather than reducing it by a set amount or a percentage, which has the odd effect of making people sadder the better you are doing, or if you know about it you can just trigger it early before you sign +Hope laws. Other times you'll be told your mines are too cold for your workers even if you have steam-robots working every mine, or the soil in your Hothouse has frozen solid even though your setup has them sitting at "Comfortable" despite how cold it is outside etc.

That said, I still enjoyed playing it, and the snow/heat effects are great.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Goat simulator's trailer was a spoof of Dead Island's, which was certainly something.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Is Black flag worth picking up for some piratey fun? And if so, does the deluxe edition add worthwhile extras? I'm not a big fan of Asscreed, but I do like age of sail combat.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Updated Pirates is exactly what I'd like, and I have not played Origins or Odyssey, so I'll probably pick it up. Thanks!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
It had a regenerating shield with the same effect.

I enjoyed Halo when it came out, mostly for the co-op campaign, but there were certainly some cool moments. I recently tried the MCC via Gamepass and played through Reach and felt it was awful. Halo had a certain clunky charm and the fact that it was so new and impressive at the time got it a pass on the clunkier aspect like the slow movement and the gliding Warhog. The setting played into this too. Since you were cut off on an alien Ringworld you had to make do with what you had, and the Chief being a lone supersoldier just slogging through the aliens with minimal contact with other humans reinforced that feeling. Only having two guns meant you often ran out of ammo and had to find alien weapons, which highlighted the lack of support you had, etc.

Reach felt like the film adaption of a cartoon show. Everything is still goofy and impractical but now you're expected to take it seriously. Or perhaps it's like in the Star Wars prequels where all the younglings are doing the helmet/droid training that Obi improvised for Luke - what had seemed like an ad hoc solution is now presented as standard operating procedure. There's big battles with dozens of Warthogs charging at 20 Ghosts while they drift and slide around. There's constant terrible gritty dialogue. You're in a huge military base but you still can't just pick up weapons and ammo before a mission. The story is dumb and has constant drama and twists just for the sake of having drama and twists. At some point you become a space fighter pilot and the UI really isn't made for it. Somehow a squad of 6 supersoldiers feels far weaker than just the Chief in the first game.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 8, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
The best part of Arkham City is right at the start some jerk is getting beaten up and you have to intervene to save him. But you can just stand there and let him get wailed on for as long as you like.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Does anyone have thoughts on CORRUPTION 2029? I have an Epic coupon to use up and I like the new Xcoms, but on the other hand I still have Mutant year zero sitting unplayed.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Croccers posted:

What ever happened to that Nazi-killin' Mutant Year Zero/Xcom-like?

Are you thinking of https://store.steampowered.com/app/1026420/WARSAW/ ? It's not too Xcomy. Other than that I can only think of https://store.steampowered.com/app/559100/Phantom_Doctrine/ recently, but that's cold war.

Shame Corruption isn't more interesting. I guess I can get Asscreed Odyssey for £9.79 then.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How is War of the Chosen if I thought the base XCOM 2 was decent but not great? Is it a big overhaul or just a "more of the same" kind of expansion?

It's pretty good, but I don't think it'll redefine it for you. I'd say the worst parts of WotC are that the zombies can become a chore (especially their reveal action cam shots) and the titular Chosen chat to you a lot and are very easy to beat for how much they sass you. It's also more story in a game you'd hope to be replaying a few times which can feel repetitive if you do.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

explosivo posted:

I bought Control for $30 using the coupon and do not regret it. This is a perfect description for the game. The setting and story woven into the game is really cool so far. Plus ripping up chunks of concrete to throw at your enemies really does not get old.

I haven't played it yet, but watching a review it was the telekinesis that made me buy it. It's so chunky the way you smash enemies.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 16, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I'm also enjoying Chimera Squad, but it's not really the direction I was hoping a new Xcom would go in. I've always thought the story pieces were the worst part of the Firaxis Xcoms (although the setting is great), I'm much more interested in the systems and the overall goals of Xcom than I am in how the Triad guy or the French Psi ladies or Lily Shen feel about things. I much prefer just having aliens to fight and stories emerging from how your rookies evolve into hardened soldiers and then tragically get killed when you trigger 5 pods at once (and then if it's Enemy Within you Robocop them*). It's neat as a smaller Xcom-adjacent game that popped up out of nowhere though. I like Breaching, even if it means things can't get as hilarious out of hand as in the earlier games, and the non-turn ending abilities and Breach abilities give you a lot more interesting things to do.

I dislike the character focus a bit, I want to hire 10 rookies and throw them into combat and end up with 3 snipers, not hire Steve the shootman with a unique ability to fire a gun at 2 targets. It's also a little strange that despite the character focus the agents are completely interchangeable in the base - Your huge rage-based melee Mutons are exactly as good at helping out with Reseach/Manufacturing/Spying as Technical specialists or anyone else. I'd rather just have Engineers and Scientists again.

I wish I could use my cool Robot as an actual squad member rather than just a backup.

This is super trivial, but some of the Skill names and descriptions are either strange or lazy seeming, like it was passed off to an intern or outsourcer. E.g. "Deadeye" is a skill which you would expect to be accurate, but instead it lowers accuracy and increases damage. "Head shot" would seem like a much more apt name, or really anything that sounds like a tougher shot to hit a vital area. I also saw a character called "Claymore" (as in the directional land mine) whose two skills were Shrapnel bomb and Concussive charge so not only is he called "Bomb guy", with his two bomb-based abilities, but they are both standard features of a regular bomb. Just Frag grenade/Flashbang as in the previous games would make more sense. I realise most people won't care about this, I have just wrote lots of game text so I tend to pay attention to it.

*= Someone was asking for any reasons to play Xcom 1 over 2 earlier, and I think Enemy Within is a great reason to do so. Using alien tech to turn soldiers into massive cyborgs or biologically enhanced superhumans was a great addition. Plus I think the rush for timed Meld canisters to gain resources was more interesting than just timers that you need to beat or you lose. And if your brain is broken in the right way, the Long war mod can be a lot of fun.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Spent ages unlocking and saving for Mastercrafted Armor in Xcom:CS and one agent's set randomly vanished after my first mission with it. I thought it was going to give another utility slot too, so either that's also bugged or the tooltip is poorly worded :(

Found a mod which is meant to fix this, so hopefully I get it back next session.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

It replaces the enhanced armor upgrade, which has the same +1 utility slot. So yeah, poorly worded but guessable... not that you should have to guess what benefits you get from an upgrade, of course.

Ah, I see. Yeah, they could just say "2 utility slots" on both the Enhanced and Mastercraft armors rather than saying "+1 utility slot" on both which sounds like it stacks.

I also loaded an older save to check and it turns out half my agents have been naked since I got Enhanced armor too, which probably caused a lot of injuries. Luckily the mod (Fix missing equipment) has fixed it, and I also found another fix mod so capturing enemies gives XP.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Monster train is great. It's like Slay the Spire had a baby with a tower defence game, but it's also happy to let you make absurdly good combinations of units/spells. This might make things seem a bit easy at first, but there's plenty of "Ascension" levels to unlock which will presumably ramp up the challenge.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Age of wonders: Planetfall has a new DLC out today, but unless I am missing something you can't just buy it, only AoW:P premium edition or a season pass bundle which includes an announced third DLC :confused:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1137801/Age_of_Wonders_Planetfall__Invasions/

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
How is the tech progression in Gears Tactics? One of the things I live about Xcom and felt was missing in Chimera squad was the journey from underpowered human guns to making better versions of the alien's weapons. Worried that GT will be more like CS since it's a prequel.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Mordja posted:

There's no real tech progression and no metagame to speak of. You basically get gun and armor parts as loot drops and rewards for completing a level, those parts can then add bonuses and passive abilities to a character and come in various rarities. For example, you can give your scout some boots with extra movespeed, a shotgun barrel which staggers enemies when on hit, and a stock that lets her heal upon killing, that sort of stuff. Between matches all you're doing is equipping your soldiers and levelling up a fairly extensive skill tree.

Gears Tactics is one of my favourite games in the genre and really moves it forward in a lot of ways, but it's also one that could really use a sequel to expand on what's missing.

Hmm, shame. Still sounds like I should try it though. Thanks!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Sad the forums will soon be gone, but while they are still here let me say that Ship slicing simulator 2020, or Hardspace: Shipbreaker, is really good and you should play it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Some on topic stuff to help keep my spirits up:

the top ten things on my wishlist that I REALLY want tomorrow when the sale drops are:

1: Story of Seasons Doreamon, aka harvest moon with a robot cat. I need chill farming.
2: They are Billions: I heard it's pausable and you can give orders and gimme gimme, I'm down for RTS/tower defense zombie town.
3: World of Horror: Horror of World
4: A Player's Heart: Melissa Scott wrote an interactive fiction about lesbians in the opera
5: Raging Loop: it's mafia/werewolf as a visual novel
6: Viscera Cleanup Detail: House Flipper but gross
7: Mount and Blade 2 Bannerlord: is it good yet?
8: Freeman Guerilla Warfare: is this good yet?
9: Magic 2014: cards
10: Gujian 3: chinese rpg let's go

plus some other stuff like maybe Monster Hunter Iceborne or Interstellar Transport Company or Empires of the Undergrowth. I'm easy to please.

#6 Viscera Cleanup Detail is ok, but it's very fiddly. You will be sure you are done and the level will insist you are not because there's one drop of blood under your bucket where you can't see it, then you will accidentally spill your bucket while finally checking under it and you will curse a lot. I found it got more frustrating than fun pretty quickly. Consider Shipbreaker if you want a jobsim, chop up spaceships for fun and profit a slight reduction in your corporate debt.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 24, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Titanfall2 is already 67% off on steam, and it lasts until July 9th, so probably not going to change in the sale.

Ditto for Outer wilds, although it's only 33% off (but 33-50% is just like $4).

E:Amusing that 3 of us posted this at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Im_Special posted:

It's really cool how there's a huge fuckoff banner on every single page telling me I can save $6 on every $35 spent, thanks Gabe Gorhill!

Isn't it only once?