Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought HZD like 3 months ago on PSN, guess it's nigh time I actually played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s probably the best game I played in 2017. You’ll love it unless you have that weird goon allergy to open world games.

I do have weird goon things but allergies to open world games is definitely not one of them. In fact, I think a lot of my faves are all open worlds... STALKER series, AC Origins/Odyssey, even WoW.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

baka kaba posted:

Wasn't the whole point of allowing raytracing on non-RTX cards because the 10xx series is basically just as powerful otherwise? So in one way it proves the RTX has something to offer, and in another way it kinda depreciates the 10xx stuff because now you can't max things out anymore (because the max settings involve raytracing now) and people get upgrade fever?

Basically the performance gap between generations kept on getting smaller and smaller to the point where they more or less just came up with RTX as the major selling point for the new generation.

So, yes, you're right.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Peewi posted:

For some reason the Xbox One replaced the Start and Back buttons from the 360 with Menu and View.

Games have been using them for years and I still get unsure which one is which when a game tells me to press one.

I just started replaying Witcher 2 on Xbox One and yeah, that poo poo tripped me up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know what this is? All I know is that I want to punt the main character into a loving furnace because everything about him is abominable. The hat, the style and worst of all the loving poo poo rear end pixelated dreamworks smirk rear end expression. Disgusting. I'm angry now. I hate this game. Is it any good?

edit: this motherfucker calls himself a rational centrist and pretends to be a pragmatic liberal but in his dark heart he's just some MRA weirdo
edit2: best dressed failure in the comics shop motherfucker
edit3: showed up to class photo dressed like this dipshit
edit4: "why the snyder cut should be shown in all classrooms" (4 hours 45 minutes)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oxxidation posted:

i'm sorry, now it's a rhythm game. now it's a gradius clone. driving minigame, anyone? now you're in ancient egypt and fighting a robot boss monster by grabbing the bombs it throws and tossing them into a hole on top of its head like it's a basketball hoop. now you're navigating through a legend of zelda dungeon in order to fight an angry Queen of Hearts. don't forget those stealth sections! NOW YOU'RE ON THE MOON

I mean, seriously though.

Steam Store posted:

This masterpiece from Paul Helman and Sean Scapelhorn is a classic platformer that tells an emotional and surprisingly rich tale of self-discovery peppered with nostalgic popular culture references that will bring a smile to any gamer who enjoys the 8 and 16 bit era!

This almost sounds like a bad satire? Like let's throw what game buzzwords we can throw into a blender: pixel graphics: check, pop culture references: check, heartwarming emotional storyline: check, "classic": check, usage of the word "gamer": check...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think I might finally bite on Deep Rock Galactic but otherwise it looks like a standard steam sale (read: bunch of indie games on super discount I'm still probably going to add to the ever growing backlog.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Givin posted:

Hack and slash Hexen type game. ELDERBORN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFnkKiXC1EQ

I've been on a classic FPS kick and I was interested until I saw the skeletons bleed and I don't know why that bothers me so much.

It doesn't look like, amazing, but it doesn't look horrible, either. I think Amid Evil is my favorite of the recent classic FPS throwbacks still.

It's really easy to make melee combat feel lovely in a game so whether or not the combat feels good will be the deciding factor for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Underwhelmed posted:

Outer Worlds has cemented my opinion that I cannot get into or much enjoy RPGs that are simple weapon combat affairs without some sort of in game system that lets me do cool stuff. Magic, psionics, bionic augmentation, or something like Disco Elysium's crazy skill system, I dont care. But something that makes the game more than "attack poo poo with weapon over and over and buy your way through skill checks at level up

These games try to dress up their lovely gameplay with something called a "narrative" that usually just makes me roll my eyes and wish I was playing something else.

I'm not saying all story driven games are bad, but in games like Outer Worlds the love clearly went somewhere other than the "game" part of the game, and you just get an average at best game in the end. In my experience all the other stuff has to be really good for it to be worth it.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 11, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Kennel posted:

I don't really understand why people make fun of those Alyx player numbers because they seem surprisingly high to me (like 5-10 times bigger than I expected).

From what I can tell, if there was ever a title that made VR truly compelling, HL:Alyx is it.

Too bad my VR headset doesn’t work with my new glasses and it’s also buried at the bottom of a moving box, and I have no VR space in my new house (yet).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I want to like NMS so much more than I actually do
Like I want it to be walking around on 60s sci-fi book covers but it's just a grind on the same planet shooting the same laser at the same plants running from the same robots

Procedural generation should not be a main gameplay feature.

Implement it to make things less repetitive on additional playthroughs to increase replay value, but if it's the whole crux of your game... it's not a good game.

And I say this as someone who did enjoy NMS when it came out. Not to say that being a bad game is necessarily a bad thing, a lot of my favorites are "diamonds in the rough."

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 9, 2020

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have never run into that problem in SoD 2. Your people don't leave the base unless you recruit them as a follower and generally while you can dismiss them as a follower and watch them run off, I have never gotten one dead because of that. They despawn one you leave them and reappear at base.

I put 2-3 hours into SoD 1 and didn't really get into it, but SoD 2 is a near-perfect experience if you get into it. Such a fantastic gameplay loop - and even better, it's relatively bugless. I've only run into a handful of bugs in 50+ hours of play.

I heard less than positive things about SoD 2 when it came out which was a bummer because I loved the first. I think your posts have helped me decide to give SoD 2 a fair shot.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StrixNebulosa posted:

I didn't buy it with the intent to go on a one-woman crusade to sell SoD 2 to others, but I have had so much good fun with it that it hurts to see it with mixed reviews on steam. For a relatively small indie team (60~ people) it's one hell of an awesome game.

Like I said before, I like games that I consider diamonds in the rough, and games that are typically met with mixed reviews usually fall into that category. Plus who doesn't want to kill zombies? Some people are sick of zombie games but I guess I can't get enough of them. Especially zombie survival. That's like, my gaming heroin.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nordick posted:

So some ex Arkane people are making a weird west game, inventively called Weird West.

https://www.ign.com/articles/weird-west-first-look-preview-ex-dishonored-prey-devs-latest-is-a-delightfully-odd-western

It's apparently an im-sim disguising as a top-down ARPG and I am extremely wishlisting it.

It looks good but help me, an uncultured moron with what an "im-sim" is? I couldn't glean anything off of :google:.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
All of those comparisons sound Very Good so I'm definitely wishlisting Weird West too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

Can't wait for this game goddrat.

Same. Hi, it's me, a goon who's still playing all these drat zombie games after all these years.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I just like a lot of stuff like State of Decay 2 where there's a bit of a survival element, and that also coincidentally is a great co-op game so maybe that's secretly also what I like about zombie games. :thunk:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Memnaelar posted:

So, one thing I see on several reviews is that if I'm thinking Chernobylite, I should *really* be thinking Metro: Exodus instead. I might even be thinking both.

Anyone dug deep into either (or, ideally, both) and have thoughts or possibly even comparisons?

I have played all Metro games extensively and love them, I picked up Chernobylite yesterday and haven't given it much time yet. I do intend on playing it some today and I can post my thoughts.

I'm also a huge fan of STALKER, so anything thematically like this is something I eat up no matter what. I'm sure I'll gush about it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
OK, I'm about an hour and change into Chernobylite which is apparently a fraction of the available story content of course so it hardly seems fair to judge, but so far the story isn't really capturing me so that doesn't feel really good.

The core gameplay loop seems to be more similar to something like This War of Mine where you have to manage a group of people, ration food, etc. That part all seems fine, good even. The base building seems pretty open-ended as to where you can place some things, but think more Fallout 4-style base building except without the ability to build structures or anything like that. I only have one actual base to build in right now, I am not sure if it ever opens up new ones or expands.

It's definitely not open-world or anything like that, there's not much free-roaming. You basically assign yourself to one of a handful of levels to go collect supplies for the day, and they seem to range from medium to large in size, but nowhere to the scale of even Metro: Exodus' levels.

Combat is... interesting. I think the guns feel fine, but the enemies aren't very interesting to fight and the stealth system kinda sucks. Reading reviews on Steam, I am not sure that it ever improves in that regard.

Weapon customization seems to be moderately in-depth if anyone's into that.

Lot of typos and stuff like that, seems rough around the edges. Might be too rough for me, I'm not sure if I can decide that quite yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Memnaelar posted:

Definitely curious to hear more as you go deeper. One story element I've seen in reviews that I find interesting is the ability to revisit past key story decisions you've made when you die and change them, doing a bit of a Butterfly Effect where those changes then ripple into your relationships in the present. I'm really curious to know if there's depth there or if it's largely window dressing.

Yeah, I kinda get the vibe it's one of those games that hits you with a later-game "whoa" moment - just not sure the rest of the game is captivating enough to pull me away from any of the other games I'm currently playing. :v:

I was honestly waffling on refunding it, but now that I think about it this game reminds me a lot of Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason and I lowkey loved that game too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm now at 3 hours into Chernobylite and I'd say like a good 7/10 would probably be my rating so far.

The combat sucks, but I just set that to easy and it's less of an issue.

I'm getting really into the base building portion. I found the "Walls" section so now my little warehouse has a nice barracks area, a workshop, and a little chillout nook for a TV (TV yet to be constructed.)

I'm not sure if it will be a very replayable game, it seems to lean heavily on the story side of things and that's still not fantastic, but again 3 hours in is probably not a great representation.

The size of each level isn't too bad now that I've thoroughly explored them. It's not huge, but it gives you plenty to pilfer through and, it's hard to tell, but a pretty good distribution of random events and things like that.

I don't know that it'd be an easy recommendation at full price, it's clearly somewhere between like indie/AA in terms of quality (typos, etc are still present even though it's out of early access), but I don't know that I'd say that it's bad.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Foul Fowl posted:

ghostrunner is sick but if you don't enjoy dying lots and lots of times to perfect your run through a room full of the nastiest bullshit then it's not gonna be for you. the first boss level killed me 198 times and it took me 30 minutes or so to beat for an average of 9 seconds per death.

The first boss is one of the hardest IMO. Everything after that still took a few tries but it was in the range of like a dozen instead of a hundred. It's a real bummer it plays out that way because if people can get past that PITA first boss, the rest of the game is still pretty good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Q1 2022 could not come any sooner :sigh:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I checked the Steam page too, the screenshots there didn't look too bad at first until I zoomed in. It's like they have a filter to intentionally smear the pixels or something.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I can't say I notice a difference between the two honestly. I think maybe it's the sort of "painterly" filter they've got going on that I personally don't like.

I always get suckered in by games like that though so who knows. I put up with whatever that weird rear end painterly FPS game was in like, 2010? I can put up with these kinds of graphics just fine. Especially if the game part of it is any good.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SavageMessiah posted:

I, too, use dollars per MB as the only true measure of game quality.

I paid for this lovely Comcast data cap and I'm gonna use the whole drat data cap, drat it! :argh:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
FO4 scratched a lot of itches for me. The story was probably its weakest point IMO but some of the combat, especially with mods, is balls-to-the-walls ridiculous and it's good entertainment, for me at least.

I always like games that just throw me into a world and let me kill poo poo though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zoux posted:

The thing I hated most about 5 was being out and about doing other things and collecting stuff and suddenly, some music starts playing and it's time to be forced into an irritating and often frustrating story set piece. I've never had a main story come and kidnap me before.

Yeah that's really bizarre. I'm one of the few that really just likes to cavort around Ubisoft's open worlds, and FC5 just... not letting you have free reign of the open world while you have story quests to do is so loving stupid.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mordja posted:

FC6 has health bars and I saw someone take like 5 headshots to go down, might be an autoskip for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt-lPghqB_o&t=116s

Well, how else would they upsell you on the Elite Exterminator Pack, only 1000 Gems (and gems or whatever the gently caress are sold separately in counts of 800, 1600, etc)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well I'm loving Legion TD 2 as someone who loved the original map in Warcraft 3 as well.

I've just been doing the campaign, not really messing around with multiplayer yet, and the hard mode is pretty dang hard. I'm at about 30 hours played on Steam and I still haven't finished the campaign.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Superanos posted:

Deathloop got a new patch with DLSS support. I guess I will give that game a go when it gets its first sales. People calling it a bad PC port turned me off.

The performance had kinda been all over the place for me but I never thought it was unplayable.

Interested to see how this patch helps performance, plus DLSS is always nice.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

zoux posted:

You liked Breakpoint? The bullet sponge drone robot poo poo ruined it for me. Wildlands was a lot of fun though.

It was alright after they released a bunch of updates that let you turn off all the stupid poo poo (namely the dumb drones and gear score bullshit).

Not an award winning game, but fun Ubisoft open-world mans-shooting nonetheless.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rusty posted:

The thing I really dislike about new AC games despite looking amazing and having really active worlds is all the systems everywhere. Like 8 hours in to the game they are still introducing new mechanics. It's all too much and I just can't enjoy it anymore. I liked AC2, Brotherhood and Black Flag to a certain extent, but I think AC2 is still the best of all of them.

I liked a lot of the gameplay loop of Odyssey and Origins, but starting with Odyssey it was starting to be a bit much. I really loved Origins, liked Odyssey and Valhalla just kinda failed to keep me interested for some reason. :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Oh man I almost forgot about AC3. I have a friend who raves about it but the main character dude just kinda seemed like a dick and I had no interest in finishing his story arc whatsoever.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

explosivo posted:

The windows store version of Minecraft went up on gamepass today which is cool because I wanted to try the RTX stuff but my 15 year old mojang key is only good for the java version of minecraft. Anyway, is there a way to just play minecraft with RTX enabled or is it really only doable in these premade environments?

Wasn't there a way to get yourself the Windows Store version of Minecraft if you only had the Java version, or did that go away? I feel like I did that, I've explored RTX Minecraft and I purchased Minecraft back in like the indev days.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
gently caress, now I'm regretting skipping over that in the Humble Choice. Enjoying BPM: Bullets Per Minute quite a bit though, I guess I really do like roguelike shooters and rhythm games.

edit: I'm an idiot, don't think Unpacking was in Humble Choice this month

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The good thing is these last few years have been great for retro-themed FPSes that I think fit into a lot of the same categories as Doom. I don't know any that I would compare to Doom 2016 directly but maybe look at something like Dusk or Wrath: Aeon of Ruin?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It's a UE4 game and I'm guessing it's probably just not well optimized.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Lakitu7 posted:

I think you're thinking of House Flipper, which was in there.

I found BPM to be in the class of roguelikes that's just too difficult for me. After a few hours I could still barely get to the second level, and I'd only unlocked one character who was more difficult than the original, so it didn't feel like enough progress to keep grinding against level 1 anymore.

I was struggling at the start and I think I really hosed up the audio/video calibration. I recalibrated it again and suddenly things are a lot easier and I almost got to the final floor (granted only on Easy difficulty but still.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I finally started playing DUSK as I picked that up in the Steam Halloween sale (as part of the bundle w/ Golden Light and Dusk) and it is indeed amazing. I just played it for like the first seven levels straight and I'm gonna have to go back and find all these secrets.