Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Lately, I've been trying out various Doom mods and I find Golden Souls 2 to be something rather unique even in a sea of mods of exceptional quality. Every time I think the mod has run out of new things to show me, it wows me in unexpected ways. Definitely worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Demoncrawl is currently half-off until the end of month. The game didn't really click with me at first, but after a game or two I started warming up to it. The thing is that there is a lot of depth to the game and you need to put just a little bit of effort going into it before the game starts showing its diabolical colours. I also like how the music reminds me of a long-lost fantasy SNES game.

TooShyGuy's review convinced me to give it a try because I sure as hell didn't think Minesweeper could be this engaging. I can't help but think of this as fast Hexcells.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 29, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Dik Hz posted:

The RNG in that game is insane. You can and frequently will encounter levels that are impossible. It feels like you either luck into a powerful combo of items, or get killed by needing to guess randomly. There really isn't any depth to the gameplay.

I'll push through and see how the game develops. However, I find that the majority of losses have been due to me making a terrible move.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
This is a bit of a tangent, but Square-Enix has done it again. PSA: Don't watch the final release trailer for FFVII that went up yesterday/today if you're committed to playing the remake when it comes out.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

MMF Freeway posted:

Is it because of spoilers? Because I know what happens in that game

Read at your own peril. It's a sequel.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

anilEhilated posted:

Is it? There are some unfamiliar minor characters but it showcases events that took place in the original.
Admittedly, it's been years since I played that game.

Another deadly spoiler. Future Sephiroth. I'm not saying this is bad or anything, now I want to play it more than ever, but purists might wince.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

More big spoilers. Apparently the black cloud stuff flying around in the trailer are timeline ghosts that stop a future version of Sephiroth from screwing up the original timeline. So it looks like the game will be going into uncharted territory. Multiple cutscenes have already been leaked.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
So I've played some more Demoncrawl and I have never been so engrossed with Minesweeper in my life. Sometimes the RNG will screw you over - par for the course when it comes to rougelikes - which is why instead of trying not make a mistake, you're trying to mitigate potential mistakes as much as possible. It's definitely worth checking out because if it clicks for you, we're talking Slay the Spire levels of "one more try" here.

The music is also something else.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

ZearothK posted:

I don't really consider it exploration if there is a glowing icon saying there is stuff in a place, but that's just me.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is an example of way too much sign-posting. I finally reached this hidden valley/land/whatever, so I decide to open my map. There were so many chorelists there that I promptly turned off the game and never fired it up again.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Receiver 2 is coming out in seven days.

As for No Man's Sky, the option to scale your resolution while keeping the UI sharp should be mandatory in every game, especially every Anno game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Floodkiller posted:

I would kill for a Soul Reaver series remaster, I finished playing through the first game recently and the 10 or less FPS was killing me inside by the end.

I hope they remake the entire series into one game. There's a lot of fluff that can be cut out, and a lot of assets can be reused since a lot of the game takes place in similar locations, just at different points of time. Then we can finally get that last bit of story after Defiance.

It's a travesty that this franchise is gathering cobwebs is what I'm saying. In all those years, there are few games that come close to what LoK could in a single cutscene.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Fallout 76 has finally come to Steam as an experiment to find out if there's a general consensus level beyond Mostly Negative.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

exquisite tea posted:

There are a few Overwhelmingly Negative games on Steam.

This has completely slipped my mind as I haven't seen Overwhelmingly Negative scores in a while. But I think F76 can aim for Crushingly Negative.

Receiver 2 is out! With a 25% discount if you have the original Receiver, it seems.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 14, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Receiver 2 is more of the same, but with more polish and a bit of a smoother learning curve. Well, there's some extra stuff in it so far that I'm not going to spoil, but it's pretty cool.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

That'd be the day when Atlus finally gets off its arse and ports something to the PC of its own volition.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Cardiovorax posted:

I played it after FF10 and really loved that game, so maybe it's one of those cases where the styles of the games just clash for some people. They're almost opposites of each other in some ways. I thought 10 was really charming in how colorful and optimistic everything about it was, even though it's basically a post-apocalyptic setting, while 7 establishes its "the world is ending" mood so well that even though it has its humorous moments, it just felt really dreary to me the entire way through. I stopped playing it roughly about the time Aeris died because it just got too much for me and I simply wasn't having fun with it. I only stuck with it that long because so many people love it so much.

Oh, calm your tits, "I think there are some nostalgia goggles about the first 3D Final Fantasy game ever involved" is really not saying that people only like it because they're brainwashed. I also think that Final Fantasy 8 is better than its reputation when you take some time to really look at it.

FF7 was good, but it also was a mess on a technical level due to incredibly troubled development. FF8 avoided some of those issues, had a pretty sensible story to go along with it, and a tutorial which no one has ever read, apparently - this is also when Uematsu peaked when it comes to overall OST quality. FF9 is the one viewed with nostalgia googles because it's more like a collection of highlights to placate long-time fans after they expressed their great dislike of FF8. I'm not saying FF9 is bad, but I'm having a hard time thinking of what FF9 was actually about in the end.

I still think Trails in the Sky was overall better than all of those games.

Come to think of it, every Final Fantasy game is a technical mess on some level.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

pentyne posted:

Only Bethesda could make a radiant AI so bad it looped back around to good and started trying to destroy the game to experience the sweet relief of death.

Even Gamebryo has had enough at this point.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
In case you've been holding out on FFXIV's early game to get revamped, they are finally releasing some details about that. There's a live letter going on as of this writing - 13% quests gone, others have a reduced the number of steps required to complete them. Fetch quests are mostly gone. They add gear and experience to ensure you can progress smoothly, and they'll shower you with experience, so your main job can progress further even when you technically reach the level cap for the given expansion. No more forced grinding of sidequests.

You can finally use flying mounts in ARR areas! This gets unlocked automatically once you clear the main scenario for ARR, no need for aether currents.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Alien: Isolation is 95% off for the next two days. You now have no excuse not to get it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Mierenneuker posted:

But now the question is: is the DLC worth :10bux: more?

Nope. Just watch a video of it later.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Fargin Icehole posted:

How many hours till i get to that?

If you haven't started FFXIV at all, wait until they revamp it somewhere around summer time. From what they've said on the recent stream, they may have actually cut the time needed to clear ARR perhaps by half. With how long the game is now, you'd probably need close to 3 months of regular playing to get to the end and experience most of the fun bits. ARR is about a month of this time. It's that long and that fluffy.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Receiver 2 got an update that apparently fixed the crashes and the control issues (Shift now works properly).

EDIT: I'm not exactly a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, but it seems everyone is already writing off the new game before it even comes out.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 30, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Humble Choice will have new games today. I'm not sure if the Golden Week sale on Steam starts today, but it's better to keep this in mind just in case.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Going through the list of games on sale during the Golden Week makes me realize that instead of doing all those Steam Labs experiment (though I won't decry them for adding options), they should just make the UI take advantage of resolutions past 1920x1080. Hell, I've plugged in my older monitor of said resolution, and the UI is still far from perfect. It's 2020, why can't I even zoom in?

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Just play Mahjong Soul. It's the Golden Week, after all.

People wanted to know what's in the Humble Monthly before buying the bundle, so the monkey's paw obliged. I preferred the old one because there were always two or three games I really wanted to check out, now it's just dregs.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 1, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

MGSV's act 2 teaser was such a huge slap to the face. When you first see it, you are filled with amazement at all the cool rear end poo poo that is yet to come. Then over the next couple hours the truth slowly dawns on you and you come to resent the game.

I wonder if anyone will ever come clean about what the hell happened during development. Out of all the games with dev diaries, this one really makes me scratch my head.

Still, the option to play custom music from your helicopter never got old. This track was tailor-made for it, and I highly recommend everyone to test it out in-game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

You should play it, I'm finding it to be insanely fun - and I thought I wasn't into this genre at all! But no, it's super slick and feels great blowing things up. Plus the plot is heating up into something actually compelling.

Again, make sure you get the story DLC if you haven't already. It's peak Ace Combat.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Steam Thread 2020: The Strategic AI Has Chosen Sales Over Backlog

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Garfu posted:

Better late game Gemcraft talisman speedrun example (too big to embed): https://streamable.com/euaq7t

Game good

That's some dedication, mana is dropping like crazy. I never got that far because I stopped playing after beating the last field, but I've still enjoyed my time with it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Umineko: it's taken me at least a year to read the first three hours, which is testament to... something. The opening is extremely slow paced. But damnit, I did it. I made it to the second day, and something big is about to happen that will hopefully hold my attention better. I've been curious about this VN for literally years and I want to know why it's so well regarded, especially if you like mysteries.

The beginning is really, really slow, but then it speeds up considerably.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
^ Tales of Berseria is good, but it can take longer than that. Rushing through the game means avoiding all those little character-building moments, and that's where it's at.

shoc77 posted:

Which of the below JRPG series would you guys recommend for someone whose last played one was Final Fantasy 8 almost twenty years ago?

Trails in the sky
Trails of cold steel
Final Fantasy 9 onwards
Tales of series
Nino Kuni 2

It would be a nostalgic trip but the required hours to commit in order to finish a game of this genre these days is kinda intimidating compared to my wee self where I have all the time in the world to gorge on them.

As much as I like Trails in the Sky and would recommend that, maybe save yourself for FFXIV. That's where it's at these days, but it'll take a bit still before they revamp the early game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Cardiovorax posted:

Even from people who really like the game, the best I ever seem to see people say about it is that it starts to get good once you're finally three quarters or so in, which is really quite telling.

FFXIV has its low-points and high-points. As you get further in, the balance tips more and more towards the latter, especially storywise. But let's not kid ourselves, the combat system relies heavily on the relationship between managing your rotation and dodging attacks. If the enemy poses no challenge, you will go braindead from boredom because every class has only one true rotation. Fortunately, the big battles really force you to be situationally aware and dodge like crazy, and the spectacle is certainly worth experiencing.

I really, really want them to stop adding classes and just provide a more varied toolkit for each class, but I doubt this will ever happen.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 4, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Memnaelar posted:

The new Lobotomy Corporation translation is a goddamn miracle. Mechanics are comprehensible, dialogue, while very occasionally stilted, is much more easy to follow... And some jerks are complaining about a fan-led translation because they miss their wacky Engrish.

*sigh* Anyway, game was always good, but now it actually tracks much more cleanly. High recommend.

I couldn't play the game before because the gibberish was just taking me out of the game. I'm glad to hear it was cleaned up well enough. It's time to give the game another go.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Bloodstained will finally be getting an update on May 7th with Zangetsu and the Randomizer.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Play Lobotomy Corporation. Now that I actually know what the hell is going on, the game sucked me right in. It's a little bit top-heavy with the tutorial, so get ready for some trial-and-error at first as you come to grips with everything - you can retry as much as you like.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

GrandpaPants posted:

What was his plan?

Italian mafia power-struggle.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Skribbl.io seems like a nice game to play with friends and family. One person draws, others guess. You can play with wordlists in multiple languages and you can also make custom wordlists.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Fart of Presto posted:

I didn't even get to any grappling points before I uninstalled it.
It's way too fast for me and I simply can't play such frantic games anymore, and had to give up, when I met the first three enemies and couldn't get past them.
It definitely didn't help that it's a 1 hit instakill game, and in the comparison to other games it would be more fitting to use Hotline Miami than Dishonored.

Also, don't get old :bahgawd: :corsair:

You should give it another try because it's secretly a rhythm game.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
The release of BE-A Walker reminded everyone interested of the old Amiga game Walker. Looking back, the game was somewhat groundbreaking at the time in terms of enemy variety and interactions. Even though you only had one simple weapon with an overheat mechanic, there was a surprise around every corner and multiple ways of dealing with enemies. I wish someone would make a spiritual sequel of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."
Mindustry feels like a cross between Factorio, Anno and TD. There is just something so incredibly relaxing figuring out how to mine and deliver resources to your base/towers/structures. The current campaign is somewhat barebones, but it offers more than enough to play around with. Apparently, the new version will have a much better campaign plus a lot more stuff. Regardless, even the current version is more than worth the asking price.