Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Hello here are some games from the Humble COVID bundle that I already had or don't want:

Into the *reach: 8MLCG-A*90Q-Z5JHZ
Hollow *night: 8*AL8-YG9NC-0TQEG
The W*tness: 895HE-*H4R4-07X8M
Supe*hot: 8982*-ED3QV-5J75F
Killing *loor 2: 7QN6P-B508X-9*3RC
Fahrenheit: *ndigo Prophecy: 7D7TV-E**5G-XK8VV
B*othe*s: A Tale of Two Sons: 7F693-3A8*V-7F9GM
Broken *ge: 7GFQ4-JTPMN-3*N4H
A Morticia*s Tale : 7FVXK-K4*0E-JL9H3
A Good Snow*an is Hard to Build: 7QPJC-Y9GN9-*A2EI
Ducati 90th A**iversary: 82J44-G*DR3-JFP2F
Pa*-Man *hampionship 2: 7AT20-*8WG0-7A8WD
Wo*ld of Goo: 73A3Y-B7*XT-68YFA
Alie* Spidy: 70WAC-F8*ZA-KKZXD
Lostwinds: 70CK*-QCJXA-AY24C (*=3)
Rebuild 3: *angs of Deadsville: 7BFJ7-WLCFE-9B*0Z
Super Hex*gon: 6W3*D-I96TH-QZ3Z2
Sp**d Brawl: 7B36J-9YTLC-RK*8J

800peepee51doodoo fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Speaking of No Man's Sky, does anybody have recommendations for fun space game? I'm mostly looking for a single player, exploration-focused or otherwise chill game, rather than something that's primarily constant combat. I'd been eyeballing NMS because internet people say its good now, but from comments above it seems like the main problem I had with it originally still exists, ie its lightyears wide but inches deep. Elite: Dangerous could be cool but its always online and I really don't want to deal with other goofballs ganking my dumb rear end the whole time. X4 looks janky as poo poo and even positive reviews generally seem to start with "OK, once you've put in a few dozen hours learning the systems it can be fun sometimes!" I'm not sure what else is out there that might fit the bill, if anything.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually had Void Destroyer 2 on my wishlist but had completely forgotten about it. Outer Wilds wasn't really what I was thinking of but I do love adventure games and it seems pretty interesting. I'll def have to give that a shot. I might still try out E:D and see how that goes if you can, in fact, play it solo. I had read it was online only and at this point I just don't have the patience for multiplayer shenanigans. I kind of dig the idea of space trucking and listening to podcasts, tbh.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

SirSamVimes posted:

"clunky movement in Hollow Knight" is one of the most :psyduck: things I have read in a while.

Eh, I bounced off Hollow Knight really hard after a very short time with it and a lot of the reason was the controls felt bad to me. Maybe they get better when you unlock more movement options? Dead Cells was fun right out of the box though, so.

I ended up finding a super cheap copy of E:D on Nuuvem. Never bought anything from there before but it activated on Steam and the internet says they don't do gray market keys so it seemed worth a shot at $7.50/$15 for the Commander edition. We'll see how it goes, if it sucks at least it wasn't expensive!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

All I see is gold stars, none of the good old red and black. Looks like some revisionist trot poo poo to me :colbert:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

explosivo posted:

Session or Skate XL; are either of these games worthy successors to Skate or worth playing in their current states?

So this is from literally a week ago but I'm just getting caught up on the thread and I missed the brief discussion of PC skateboards games. I have not tried Skater XL so I can't comment there but I have put a couple dozen hours into Session and I think its a fantastic skateboarding sim that does a lot to capture what it feels like to actually skateboard. Like Skate, there's no trick progression or unlocks, you can do every trick from minute one - if you can actually perform the inputs correctly. The focus is on creating, practicing and performing lines in a big, open sandbox skatepark that looks a lot like NYC. Its still early access and still has a lot of content that needs to be added but the controls are all essentially there (minus grabs which were still getting worked on last time I fired it up) and the controls are what make it feel like a sim more than an arcade style game. The controls are what will make or break the game for you, they can feel very intimidating at first. Basically, your left stick controls your left foot, the right stick controls your right foot and the input directions for the tricks will depend on you're stance, your direction of travel, and what kind of trick you want to do. For example - standard stance moving forward (ie facing right on the board) you would pull the right stick down and flick the left stick up to ollie. The sticks would be reversed for switch/goofy and the directions would be reversed for nollie/fakey. Inputs for grinds and slides will depend on your stance and whether you are trying to do frontside or backside. With the fully manual control setup, you have to use the triggers to catch the board with your feet during flip tricks. It can take a few hours to get a feel for it and quite a lot of practice to really get it down. BUT, you can customize the controls and simplify them quite a bit so you don't have to go full sim if you don't want to. What the game really does right, for me, is the way it feels like skateboarding in that you will see a spot and think "I bet I can set up over here, heelflip into a backside tailslide down this rail and 180 out to manual" and then you try it over and over until you nail it clean. In that way, it feels a lot like Skate and like actual skateboarding. Using the sim controls and pulling off a clean line feels amazing. And, of course, it has a video editor built in so you can make rad sizzle reals.

There are some downsides, mainly from the fact that its still EA. The map is pretty big and they just added a new area like a month or two ago, but it feels lifeless - like you're skating post-apocalypse. There isn't a whole lot of board and clothing cosmetics and so there really isn't any sense of in game progression, at least not as of the last time I played, which was a few months ago. I would really love to do more pretty skater doll dressup. Some of the mechanics aren't completely fleshed out, like grabs as I mentioned earlier but also the bails are pretty rough. A lot of the fun of Skate was the ragdoll bailing when you hosed up. With Session, you will bail a lot and it doesn't feel particularly great, especially considering that lightly bumping a curb will send you flying. The music is fine but kind of monotonous imo - I played with my own music but had to do it from outside of the game. It would be nice if there was a way to import a playlist and manage it from the game menu but eh, not a huge deal. Other than that, I have few complaints and I'm looking forward to how it shapes up moving forward. Highly recommend checking it out if a high skill ceiling, non-arcade skateboard game that does a good job at capturing the feeling of street skating appeals to you.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

nessin posted:

Pathfinder Kingmaker: I knew it was uber-DnD, which itself is already a terrible rules system without a game master, but I under-estimated just how terrible and unfun it is to deal with the small and pointless details that going full system implementation brings. Also whoever had the idea for the bland and constant generic random encounters when moving needs a therapist.

Its such a slog. I got it on sale at GOG a while ago and gave up on it at the Stag Lord's fort. Everything about it is an unfun grind and I feel like its because it wants to adhere strictly to the tabletop rule set while also being a RTwP action game. Like, having spells and abilities you can only use once per day is fine if you only have a handful of encounters in a sitting while playing the PnP version, but its complete poo poo in a video game where dungeons have dozens of encounters and you constantly need to backtrack out of the dungeon to rest. And of course you get attacked when resting. drat near every time. Its brutal and feels bad. Leveling is slow as poo poo and the game throws enemies that permanently reduce your stats when you are still level 2, maybe 3. Then there's poo poo design like how spells like fireball are nearly useless because the way the RTwP works in Pathfinder means that the enemies are bum rushing you at the same time you are going through the casting process so your spell hits dead space behind the enemies or you incinerate your own party. Just terrible design decision after terrible design decision.

On the other side of the spectrum, Monster Train is very good. If you like Slay the Spire, Monster Train is a slam dunk, no-brainer pick up, imo. It's similar enough to StS that it feels familiar, but has significantly different mechanics to feel fresh. It looks great, plays great, and has the kind of stacking synergies that you want in a deck builder. So far, it doesn't feel as difficult as StS - I was able to win a run after just a few attempts - but it does have an ascension style system to increase the difficulty. My only real complaint is that it does the thing where you have to unlock cards, artifacts and clans (classes) by grinding out runs, which, why. Why. I didn't like doing it in StS and I don't like it here either, just have everything available from the beginning! Minor quibble, though, since I'm gonna play anyway and it will all unlock eventually. Fantastic game.

And while I'm here posting opinions on video games, I also played through Observation the other day. Great atmosphere, really good voice acting from the lead, and a decent story if you like mysterious, kind of spooky sci-fi in the vein of 2001, Interstellar, Arrival, etc. But good lord the controls are obnoxiously bad. You're either slowly panning a camera around pixel hunting for something to interact with or you're in a ball that's pushed around by puffs of CO2 so there's a bunch of intentional lag on your input. If you bump in to anything while moving around, it makes your camera go haywire for a second, too, which just makes the controls feel even worse. At one point, while trying to steer my stupid little ball around a confined space, I said out loud "jfc this is worse than Getting Over It". I only saw a few reviews on Steam mentioning it so maybe it was just irritating to me personally, but something to watch out for if you're thinking about playing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mokinokaro posted:

For a counter opinion, I didn't find the controls that bad at all. There is definitely a bit of pixel hunting at parts where the game wants you to infer what to do next.

I'm actually kind of curious if there was some issue with the way the game worked on my pc or something. Like I said, I only read a handful of steam reviews and I think one professional review that mentioned bad controls. I had to turn the mouse sensitivity way, way down for it to be playable at all. Even with the frustrating controls, I still finished it because the atmosphere, setting and lead acting was so good, so there is that.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Artelier posted:

Cities Skylines Humble Bundle worth getting? I figure I can't go wrong if I just drop in a buck for the base game right?

Absolutely. Cities Skylines is a really great city builder. It's awesome right out of the box and there's tons of mod support in the workshop, too. None of the DLC is super important afaik - at least none of it that I have feels mandatory or significantly game changing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Infinite Karma posted:

I wanna play a game where I can zip around in a space jet going pew pew pew, but not on rails. Basically give me X-Wing/Tie Fighter level of detail, not Ace Combat and not Elite: Dangerous, but let me fly all over the galaxy being a space hero/rear end in a top hat.

I haven't played it but maybe take a look at Rebel Galaxy Outlaw?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Doesn’t it not play nice with second hard drives, either?

Yeah, its pretty bad. I use multiple drives and it turned into a pain to get it working right. I had a situation where I had a game installed on one of my secondaries and needed to reinstall my OS. Unlike steam or gog, the MS client is incapable of relocating the installed game files. You also can't delete the files manually or even take control of the folders they are in. Windows will then block you from installing any apps at all to that drive. I ended up having to format the drive to be able to reinstall the game I was playing to that drive. It's one of these things that's probably fine in the majority of use cases but god help you if you want to change an install location or even if you just uninstall it the wrong way somehow. I found tons of complaints about it when I was trying to get it fixed.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s another reason I’ve been reluctant to use it for anything besides small stuff. My laptop has two drives and my desktop has three, and I have two externals that I use with them as well. If I can’t pick an install location I’m not a happy camper.

I mean, you can, it's just kind of a pain and there's a potential for very bad problems. Also, check this out: to choose which drive you want to install to, you have to go to the system settings in the OS and change the default location for app installation. Instead of, you know, choosing an install location from a drop down like literally every program that has ever been made over the last 30 years. It's a bit of a clownshow but hey, I only paid a dollar to play Gears Tactics so...

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Hub Cat posted:

I'd probably drop Gamepass if they raised the price at all because of the many issues with the launcher but the game selection is good and for now it's $5.

I don't know if it's an "if" as much as a "when". It feels very much like a loss leader to get people bought in to the game rental paradigm.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Fallom posted:

yeah i just checked and all you have to do is click on the game you want and click install

Last couple of posts had me feeling gaslighted so I just opened up the client and, yeah, looks like they fixed the issue I was having previously and I was able to choose an install drive from the client. That was not the case the last time i used it, which was a couple of weeks ago at least. Hopefully they fixed the issue with the undeleteable install files and protected folders, too.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Can you gift stuff from that bundle? I have a bunch of the better known games from that bundle already and really only bought it to donate

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

K8.0 posted:

I certainly did. This whole progression has been very predictable. The real tipping point to me was Bill's Hat. Prior to that, Valve had been fairly hostile to penalizing people for not preordering. Generally PC games sold on steam came the same content regardless of when you bought it, and that acted as a fairly reliable ward against attempts at bullshit monetization. As soon as Valve announced Bill's Hat, I knew that we were seeing the end of consumers being generally treated well in the PC gaming market.

I don't blame the greedy companies, though. I blame idiot consumers with no self control still being willing to give them money no matter how hard they gently caress you in the rear end. When a developer or publisher tells you they intend to gently caress you over with DLC, just don't buy the game. The only way their behavior will change is if their wallet hurts for it. "Oh I just won't buy the poor value DLC/microtransactions/season pass/whatever" is exactly the attitude they're hoping for, because they're still getting your money AND they get to milk the whales.

Consumers aren't always rational actors and there will always be suckers, gambling addicts or people who just don't care about this stuff and buy it anyway. The only way to stop it is with aggressive regulation or, ideally, the complete destruction of capitalism.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
lol sure the answer is to train millions of individual consumers to become rational actors with perfect information and not some pipe dream of "consumer protection regulations" obviously

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Orv posted:

I mean I specifically said gently caress lootboxes but; video game sales are higher than ever but so are costs to develop them. Studios are frequently 500+ people now for 3+ years because of what we've come to expect out of non-indie fidelity and nowhere near everyone that plays games purchases every game. The games industry is semi-rapidly approaching a golden era Hollywood issue where the cost is going to outpace the return (or re-approaching an ET issue, more accurately). I don't think that's a good thing but I get why $60 isn't necessarily cutting it.

But again, not arguing that that is a good thing or something that should be the norm. Obviously something else would be preferable.

Maybe games don't need to have the massive production values and associated costs in order to be fun to play. The constant ratcheting up of epic, cinematic experiences doesn't automatically make games better but it sure looks good in marketing materials!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
If I want to get AssCreed Origins, which version should I be looking at? The Steam page is ... not helpful. I feel like the base game at $12 should be plenty, especially considering that I likely won't actually finish it because game long, but does any of the extra content affect early or midgame? Or is it all post-story additional content?

Also, I've been catching up with threads and all of the drama and I've got to say I am very relieved that the forum will stick around. I mostly lurk but I've been here for just about 20 years (!!!) and I can't even begin to express how much it would suck to see this place go down. Ironically, the willingness of people here to have the principles to walk away if LT hadn't decided to give up the forums is what makes this place so amazing and worth keeping. There's not many places on the internet with this kind of community.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

StrixNebulosa posted:

Base game: easily a billion hours, you don't need the DLC

Hidden Ones: post-game content
Curse of the Pharaohs - actually good post-game content
[x] Packs - Cosmetics - reskin your horse or your weapons - and the Deluxe Pack has one (1) sidequest featuring ocean combat.

Cool thanks, that's what I thought. Maybe I'll grab Pharoahs later on if I actually do play through the whole thing. Love your username, btw. One of my most favorite experiences was finding one in the wild. Very cool bird.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
It would be rad if there was some list somewhere of all the games that were developed by shitheads, chuds, and sex pests. I know of a few of them like the Cultist Sim guy and the Mordhau devs (fash maybe?) but there's a lot to keep track of without accidentally throwing money at some dirtbag.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Edmond Dantes posted:

I kinda like the concept of Shipbreaker but the time limits kinda sour it for me and with the limited ship designs it feels like it'll end up being "learn a ship then take it apart as fast as possible" which... ehhhhh.
This is all [citation needed], going by some streams I watched and info floating around, so feel free to correct me on this.

Shipbreaker has some good bones but its still very much EA and is pretty limited in content at the moment. What they have currently gave me about 15hrs of gameplay so its got some hooks but I put it aside for a while so that I hopefully don't get burned out before they add a bunch of other content, bug fixes, QoL stuff like key bindings and resolution options that don't blow out the HUD, etc. Regarding the time limit - its not that big of a deal honestly as its pretty generous and it helps you to prioritize efficiency. The devs have acknowledged that a lot of people don't like it, though, and said they are brainstorming options. I'm glad I got it to try it out but I also kind of wish I'd waited a bit until it was little bit farther along.

pentyne posted:

Here's what I'm thinking is going to be my sale purchases

Everything seems pretty well regarded from every time its been mentioned in threads. I know Yakuza 1 is kind of rough around the edges but I had such a blast with Yakuza 0 I'm willing to put up with no autosaving. Maybe some day I'll finally learn Mahjong.

Firewatch is the best walking simulator out there, imo. I love that game. It has probably the best video game story I've ever played through with empathetic characters that feel like actual human beings with their sad, beautiful lives. It also resonated with me personally a bit because I have friends who do fire lookout every summer and I've spent quite a lot of time camping and hiking around fire towers out in the woods. Without saying too much, the ending is absolutely perfect and drives home the themes that were built on throughout the game while subverting expectations in a way that avoids being meta or twisty for the sake of twists. Bonus for me was all of the people who have clearly only ever engaged with genre fiction being mad and confused at the ending. And like the other person said, try to play through it in one sitting if you can. Such a great game.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Shrecknet posted:

Not quite as high on VNs as I am on Walking Simulators. Edith Finch, Beginner's Guide and the Artifex Mundi stuff for campy fun are great. Also a fan of "Hold Right for Fun" like Inside and Little Nightmares.

Have you looked at Observation? Its basically a walking simulator except in zero-g and you're an AI interacting with a person. If you liked Tacoma, you'll probably like Observation. I'll also plug Firewatch again if you haven't played that already.

From your wishlist, I'd say give Donut County a shot. Its cheap, its cute, its short and its fun + very casual. Also check out A Short Hike if you haven't already. Disco Elysium is awesome but definitely a time commitment.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mordja posted:

a)What?
b)There are no US forces, did you even click on the link?

Its pretty obvious that they are commenting on the hypocrisy of calling out a game for "propaganda" when it focuses on Russian forces in WWII and uses the myths/tropes surrounding them while everybody completely ignores the same thing happening in every single game that focuses on US forces in WWII.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Xander77 posted:

Literally what I said when the game was first brought up.

But then the demo outright hit me with "go ahead and shoot me, you'll never get us all!" which is just beyond parody. It's basically "Nation's Pride", but more so.

Oh I don't doubt it. People love putting jingoistic propaganda in their war games. Isn't there some RTS about the Syrian civil war that's unapologetically pro Assad? I think its just that, in the US at least, some people are super sensitive to russophobia so they'll call it out if they think they see it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Man, I have to get back to Disco Elysium. I started it a while ago but put it down because I was in a really bad headspace and it just wasn't doing me any favors at that moment. Of course, instead of playing that right now I just bought like a half dozen new games because woohoo steam sale

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

K8.0 posted:

GPS is definitely a problem. GPS became common because people complained about having to learn how to traverse the map in open world games, but the reality is that gaining mastery of the world is one of the best aspects of them. The ubiquity of arrows and lines showing you where to go has done a lot to eliminate the point of open-worldness. In GTA IV and most other modern open world games, the average player will not really gain any understanding of the map, because they will just drive the same few ways the GPS always routes you to. If you want to throw those type of things in as accessibility options, fine, but the default/standard in open world games should be no to minimal direction. Let the player explore and find their own way around, or do a linear game. If as a player you go out of your way to force yourself to do this, if you actively seek ways to not do what the navigation asks of you, these games tend to be a lot more fun.

It's a shame that open world as a game design concept is still so poorly understood this long into its existence, but I do think things are slowly improving and that we'll eventually see more games where learning the world and navigating are actually fun, rather than traversal being a mindless thing we seek to skip in order to reach the next linear setpiece. Part of that will probably come along with more designers realizing that bigger isn't necessarily better, and that there is a specific scale and density that is going to be ideal for any given game.

Honestly, I think the majority of people playing games don't actually want a fully open world game. That's more of a marketing thing that plays on what people feel like they want but really most people like to know where they are going and being told what to do in some way or another. Obviously there are people who absolutely love open worlds with little hand-holding but I think that's a relatively small percentage. For example, I was watching someone stream a blind playthrough of Bloodborne and multiple times in the stream he would say something to the effect of "ah! that's where I need to go. I like it when its linear!" I think this is really common, even if people don't often state it outright like that. I really think most games should be more linear and that AAA developers are only making "open world" games because they think that its necessary to add value and get more sales. "Open world" implies limitless content while "linear experience" is going to sound limiting, even if I think most people would actually prefer it this way. So devs make huge, sprawling worlds and then add map markers, compass arrows, highlighted paths, fast travel, etc to make it the linear experience most people feel comfortable with. Devs should, by all means, keep creating open world games since tons of people do actually like them, but not every AAA game should be open world. Or, at least, not as many as there are, imo.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

ErrEff posted:

No it's okay, you see, Ubisoft doesn't make games that are political.

"Watch Dogs: Legion - Welcome to the Resistance!" This game has no politics, ignore the themes please.

It doesn't have politics. It has political aesthetics and co-opts the idea of protesters and activists but they very carefully never mention what the protesters are protesting against or what the activists are organizing for. I mean, outside of "bad guys are bad" I guess. Maybe I'm wrong about this and the game will openly advocate for non-hierarchical political and economic structures and the abolition of private property but it sure seems like they are just using anarchist street action as a coat of paint for a bad open world game to me.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Legion is very political, it's the one without the Ubisoft copout. Its announcement was literally Clint Hocking going on stage at E3 and talking about how hosed things are already. Lots of the interviews afterwards were about how Brexit's affected the vision for the game's world.

I just watched that announcement video and it seemed purposefully vague, tbh. He did mention Brexit and deportations but just threw out "authoritarian government" as a descriptor for the bad guys. He literally said you can play as MI5 operatives as if they were the good guys, ffs. When I watched the trailer on youtube, there were several comments by chuds who saw the "authoritarian government" as communists and the protagonists as agreeing with them. Granted, chuds aren't generally the sharpest knives in the drawer but still, it was vague enough that they felt like the game included them and their ideas. To me, it looks like a wishy-washy liberal take on street activism where they kind of wink and nod that they are on the right side but don't want to alienate anyone who might buy the game.

I'm not expecting video games to have nuanced and well-examined political analysis but it looks pretty skeevy to me for them to adopt the trappings of resistance without actually acknowledging what they are resisting. It would be cool if I was wrong and the game stated baldly that capitalism is source of the authoritarianism but I don't see that happening. It doesn't help that the other game they announced, FC6, is set in an "authoritarian" latin american country which, I mean, holy poo poo

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Black Griffon posted:

I mean WD2 was pretty openly political with trans VAs and issues and centered black characters and all that, even if they did gently caress up the whole Horatio situation, and it was way better with that poo poo than any FC ever.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I do have opinions about corporations using idpol and representation as shields to deflect from other issues but I've already poo poo up the thread enough with my cspammery so I'll drop it. Also, I haven't played WD2 so maybe I'll see if I can still get that from the give-away and check it out before I continue on with my criticisms.

On controller chat, whats the go-to method for using a DS4 wirelessly on PC? I just got a PS4 for TLOU/TLOU2 and I'm kinda digging the controller. I've been using a wired 360 pad for the last million years or so but it would be cool to cut the cord since I often throw my PC games up on my TV. Googling says that I might need some PS4 specific dongle that no longer exists? I can't imagine that's the only way, though. My PC does not have built-in bluetooth.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Sinteres posted:

Why doesn't that help?

There is a lot of history there and most of it involves the US being complete assholes overthrowing governments all over south and central america and justifying it by claiming the elections of popular leftists were fraudulent. This has happened as recently as 2009 in Honduras, and they were just making noise to do the same in Venezuela like, a year ago? If that, even. Its always couched in terms of bringing freedom to the people and yet it always turns into dictatorships and death squads somehow.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

El_Elegante posted:

It happened as recently as Bolivia in 2019

gently caress, I totally forgot about that

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
eBay has a cart. The site where you bid on poo poo in an auction that takes multiple days to complete has a cart. I don't know how that works exactly but its there

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Det_no posted:

I own both Pillars of Eternity and Pathfinder: Kingmaker from old bundles but I don't have any of the DLC. Is any of those good and not too incomplete without the DLC?

I can't say anything about Pillars since I haven't played it but I did not like Pathfinder. I gave it a solid shot and put like ~20hrs into it. The game is just a brutal grind of random encounters and dungeons that take dozens of trips to clear since spells and special abilities are usually usable once a day and you have to rest to reset them, which you can't do in the dungeons. You're often attacked while resting, too. The gameplay ends up being a loop of go into dungeoun -> fight a couple of groups -> backtrack outside -> rest -> probably get attacked -> rest more -> go back to dungeon -> repeat until cleared. Oh and there's one early mission (when you're like level 2, maybe 3) that has enemies that do permanent stat damage lmao. The real time w/ pause is done very poorly as well imo and doesn't jive with the tabletop ruleset that the game adheres to.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

sebmojo posted:

If you had a game company and wanted to do something based on an existing property (book, tv, film etc), any genre, what's an underused property? Money no object.

Choose your own adventure game for The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Mordja posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen, squad-based RTT with non-standard RPG mechanics.

Actually almost posted this as a non-joke answer since I'm reading it right now. Would prefer a third person action-RPG that shifts characters throughout the story, though

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Gravity's Rainbow. As a cover shooter.

Serious answer: Big as poo poo RPG set in Ian Banks' Culture universe. Or the Algebraist universe for the sci fi hipster crowd.

Not a genre property, but since we're talking about games we'd want to see, I'd love to have a game like Hunter: Call of the Wild but with cameras instead of guns. Big, beautiful outdoor environments filled with exquisitely animated animal life with the goal of taking rad wildlife images. Upgrade from a lovely Canon Rebel with a kit 300mm all the way up to a 1DXIII and a 600mm f4 prime. Get photos of rare species and become a famous NatGeo photographer. Its super nerd poo poo that like 5 people would play. I've been playing RDR2 lately, which is fantastic btw, but I'm getting pretty sick of killing animals in games tbh.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Yeah they did a Wheel of Time FPS in 99

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

StrixNebulosa posted:

- god loving damnit
- god i hate epic
- but okay fine whatever a year delay so the game can be made with all the stuff in it I'll live but if they

if they make elusive targets epic-exclusive I will scream

Can you explain this reaction? I literally do not understand why EGS makes people so angry. Like, you can launch anything from Steam, even if you buy it somewhere else if you're worried about having too many launchers or whatever.

Like, its gotten to the point that people are openly cheering on Apple in the recent dispute, to the point that I've seen a shocking number of people online arguing that monopolies are good actually. Is Sweeney a sex creep or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

K8.0 posted:

We don't need another store.

Literally "monopolies are good actually" lmao

This is what I'm talking about. I mean, people should feel how they feel, but I don't see people getting this upset about console exclusives and you have to buy expensive hardware to access those. Not buying a game because its exclusive to EGS is just a choice. It may be a valid choice for you, but there isn't anything that actually bars anyone from getting it. Thats why I don't understand the over the top angry reactions.

And too be clear, I'm of the opinion that exclusivity as a concept needs to be eliminated. But I also think walled gardens need to be torn down and if we're forced to live with capitalism then it should at least pretend to offer consumer choice and competition.